The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment » Star Wars




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 348 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: ITT dimejinky99 vomits random Star Wars thoughts
PostPosted: Wed September 02, 2020 3:50 pm 
Offline
User avatar
what on earth am I talking about
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 12:35 am
Posts: 31941
I only read the bullet points of treverows script and it was all trash but the one cool thing was Finn inspiring stormtroopers and leading a stormtrooper rebellion against the first order.

It could have been so easy to work that into what we got.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: ITT dimejinky99 vomits random Star Wars thoughts
PostPosted: Wed September 02, 2020 3:54 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 3:48 pm
Posts: 43477
Location: Mountains
dimejinky99 wrote:
I only read the bullet points of treverows script and it was all trash but the one cool thing was Finn inspiring stormtroopers and leading a stormtrooper rebellion against the first order.

It could have been so easy to work that into what we got.

That is such a far more exciting story to tell than much of what we got.

What the fuck happened!


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: ITT dimejinky99 vomits random Star Wars thoughts
PostPosted: Wed September 02, 2020 4:13 pm 
Offline
User avatar
NEVER STOP JAMMING!
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 3:36 pm
Posts: 23869
Location: Mizzou
Strat wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:
For all that he might be right, the point he’s missed is Finn is a supplementary character. Not the main one. They could have given Finn more to do other than shouting ‘Rey’ every few scenes but that’s not really down to Disney. He was given a whole side story in TLJ after all.
We all now JJ had a lot to do in little time. I wouldn’t even blame JJ either. Just the constraints of Time to develop a story for that character.

John needs to get in line with all the many other things in TROS that werent given enough time and development though, I reckon.

I think his complaints kind of help fill in the blanks for me and my issues with the sequel trilogy, or at least, the Rise of Skywalker. I do blame disney and JJ for the rushed development, storytelling, and seemingly heel turn in overall story arch. I think a defected stormtrooper is a really good story to tell and its super unfortunate that Finn ended up being just kind of there by the end of it.


Totally


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: ITT dimejinky99 vomits random Star Wars thoughts
PostPosted: Wed September 02, 2020 4:24 pm 
Offline
User avatar
what on earth am I talking about
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 12:35 am
Posts: 31941
I’m watching it right now.

It’s got problems for sure. The problems / bits I don’t like are just far more numerous than anything that can be levelled at TLJ. I really only had the casino planet being questionable for me.

Everything in this is just so convenient and unearned.
The emperor just happens to have a new fleet
The knife Luke couldn’t find just happens to be on the floor
Zorri just happens to have a key to let them land on kylos star destroyer to rescue chewie
Huxx just happens to be the spy


And on and on and on


I really hope I just come to ‘Fuck it. It’s Star Wars!’ And love It, in time.
Took me over a year to get to there with rogue one.
So there’s hope.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: ITT dimejinky99 vomits random Star Wars thoughts
PostPosted: Wed September 02, 2020 4:33 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Classic B
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Wed December 19, 2012 9:53 pm
Posts: 14905
Location: Chapel Hill, NC, USA
dimejinky99 wrote:
For all that he might be right, the point he’s missed is Finn is a supplementary character. Not the main one. They could have given Finn more to do other than shouting ‘Rey’ every few scenes but that’s not really down to Disney. He was given a whole side story in TLJ after all.


He's also the most compelling stories of any character that Star Wars has ever created, and JJ completely failed to capitalize on that despite having created the character in the first place.

_________________
VinylGuy wrote:
Fuck, B was right all along?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: ITT dimejinky99 vomits random Star Wars thoughts
PostPosted: Wed September 02, 2020 4:34 pm 
Offline
User avatar
NEVER STOP JAMMING!
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 3:36 pm
Posts: 23869
Location: Mizzou
B wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:
For all that he might be right, the point he’s missed is Finn is a supplementary character. Not the main one. They could have given Finn more to do other than shouting ‘Rey’ every few scenes but that’s not really down to Disney. He was given a whole side story in TLJ after all.


He's also the most compelling stories of any character that Star Wars has ever created, and JJ completely failed to capitalize on that despite having created the character in the first place.


More compelling than Boba Fett?!


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: ITT dimejinky99 vomits random Star Wars thoughts
PostPosted: Wed September 02, 2020 4:45 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 3:48 pm
Posts: 43477
Location: Mountains
B wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:
For all that he might be right, the point he’s missed is Finn is a supplementary character. Not the main one. They could have given Finn more to do other than shouting ‘Rey’ every few scenes but that’s not really down to Disney. He was given a whole side story in TLJ after all.


He's also the most compelling stories of any character that Star Wars has ever created, and JJ completely failed to capitalize on that despite having created the character in the first place.

JJ is good at grand ideas but I dont think his strong suit is really storytelling and character development.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: ITT dimejinky99 vomits random Star Wars thoughts
PostPosted: Wed September 02, 2020 5:17 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Classic B
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Wed December 19, 2012 9:53 pm
Posts: 14905
Location: Chapel Hill, NC, USA
Monkey_Driven wrote:
B wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:
For all that he might be right, the point he’s missed is Finn is a supplementary character. Not the main one. They could have given Finn more to do other than shouting ‘Rey’ every few scenes but that’s not really down to Disney. He was given a whole side story in TLJ after all.


He's also the most compelling stories of any character that Star Wars has ever created, and JJ completely failed to capitalize on that despite having created the character in the first place.


More compelling than Boba Fett?!


Bratty clone that dies embarrassingly at the hands of a blind man?

_________________
VinylGuy wrote:
Fuck, B was right all along?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: ITT dimejinky99 vomits random Star Wars thoughts
PostPosted: Wed September 02, 2020 5:19 pm 
Offline
User avatar
NEVER STOP JAMMING!
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 3:36 pm
Posts: 23869
Location: Mizzou
B wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
B wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:
For all that he might be right, the point he’s missed is Finn is a supplementary character. Not the main one. They could have given Finn more to do other than shouting ‘Rey’ every few scenes but that’s not really down to Disney. He was given a whole side story in TLJ after all.


He's also the most compelling stories of any character that Star Wars has ever created, and JJ completely failed to capitalize on that despite having created the character in the first place.


More compelling than Boba Fett?!


Bratty clone that dies embarrassingly at the hands of a blind man?


But he had a mysterious helmet and armor!


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: ITT dimejinky99 vomits random Star Wars thoughts
PostPosted: Wed September 02, 2020 5:20 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Classic B
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Wed December 19, 2012 9:53 pm
Posts: 14905
Location: Chapel Hill, NC, USA
Monkey_Driven wrote:
B wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
B wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:
For all that he might be right, the point he’s missed is Finn is a supplementary character. Not the main one. They could have given Finn more to do other than shouting ‘Rey’ every few scenes but that’s not really down to Disney. He was given a whole side story in TLJ after all.


He's also the most compelling stories of any character that Star Wars has ever created, and JJ completely failed to capitalize on that despite having created the character in the first place.


More compelling than Boba Fett?!


Bratty clone that dies embarrassingly at the hands of a blind man?


But he had a mysterious helmet and armor!

So did Finn.

_________________
VinylGuy wrote:
Fuck, B was right all along?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: ITT dimejinky99 vomits random Star Wars thoughts
PostPosted: Wed September 02, 2020 5:33 pm 
Offline
User avatar
NEVER STOP JAMMING!
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 3:36 pm
Posts: 23869
Location: Mizzou
B wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
B wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
B wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:
For all that he might be right, the point he’s missed is Finn is a supplementary character. Not the main one. They could have given Finn more to do other than shouting ‘Rey’ every few scenes but that’s not really down to Disney. He was given a whole side story in TLJ after all.


He's also the most compelling stories of any character that Star Wars has ever created, and JJ completely failed to capitalize on that despite having created the character in the first place.


More compelling than Boba Fett?!


Bratty clone that dies embarrassingly at the hands of a blind man?


But he had a mysterious helmet and armor!

So did Finn.


For like a minute!








I've never understood the fascination with Boba Fett...


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: ITT dimejinky99 vomits random Star Wars thoughts
PostPosted: Wed September 02, 2020 5:47 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Calibrating
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:33 pm
Posts: 84138
Location: Anarchist Jurisdiction
Strat wrote:
B wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:
For all that he might be right, the point he’s missed is Finn is a supplementary character. Not the main one. They could have given Finn more to do other than shouting ‘Rey’ every few scenes but that’s not really down to Disney. He was given a whole side story in TLJ after all.


He's also the most compelling stories of any character that Star Wars has ever created, and JJ completely failed to capitalize on that despite having created the character in the first place.

JJ is good at grand ideas but I dont think his strong suit is really storytelling and character development.

It's interesting that Boyega specifically calls out Disney and defends JJ, saying that it's not on him. To me that suggests -- and I realize here I'm kinda doing that thing I hate that click-bait articles do by assuming something someone didn't actually say by reading between the lines -- that he's far more frustrated with what Rian did with Finn that what JJ did in TROS. I'm not putting words in Boyega's mouth. I'm not saying that's what he's saying or that he want to imply that. Only that it's strange to me that so many are reading that article and immediately blaming JJ.

I think he has a lot of valid points in that article. Dime has a point in that Finn is a supporting character. But that doesn't mean the character can't have more nuance. There's a lot to unpack in what he's thinking/saying (and what it seems from the article he's feeling). We can blame JJ (or even Rian) all we want but I still think it's interesting that Boyega doesn't. His issues seem to rest on Disney's shoulders. Disney and specifically the marketing of Finn.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: ITT dimejinky99 vomits random Star Wars thoughts
PostPosted: Wed September 02, 2020 7:18 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Classic B
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Wed December 19, 2012 9:53 pm
Posts: 14905
Location: Chapel Hill, NC, USA
Monkey_Driven wrote:
I've never understood the fascination with Boba Fett...


I love Boba Fett, but his character isn't the foundation for stories of nature vs. nurture, societal inequalities, the morality of war, government, and killing, or individual courage like Finn.

_________________
VinylGuy wrote:
Fuck, B was right all along?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: ITT dimejinky99 vomits random Star Wars thoughts
PostPosted: Wed September 02, 2020 7:31 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Calibrating
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:33 pm
Posts: 84138
Location: Anarchist Jurisdiction
B wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
I've never understood the fascination with Boba Fett...


I love Boba Fett, but his character isn't the foundation for stories of nature vs. nurture, societal inequalities, the morality of war, government, and killing, or individual courage like Finn.

There is some morality/ethics of war, government, and killing in Fett's story.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: ITT dimejinky99 vomits random Star Wars thoughts
PostPosted: Wed September 02, 2020 7:43 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Classic B
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Wed December 19, 2012 9:53 pm
Posts: 14905
Location: Chapel Hill, NC, USA
durdencommatyler wrote:
B wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
I've never understood the fascination with Boba Fett...


I love Boba Fett, but his character isn't the foundation for stories of nature vs. nurture, societal inequalities, the morality of war, government, and killing, or individual courage like Finn.

There is some morality/ethics of war, government, and killing in Fett's story.

Maybe, but you could change him out for any human being and tell the same story.

_________________
VinylGuy wrote:
Fuck, B was right all along?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: ITT dimejinky99 vomits random Star Wars thoughts
PostPosted: Wed September 02, 2020 7:50 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Calibrating
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:33 pm
Posts: 84138
Location: Anarchist Jurisdiction
B wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
B wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
I've never understood the fascination with Boba Fett...


I love Boba Fett, but his character isn't the foundation for stories of nature vs. nurture, societal inequalities, the morality of war, government, and killing, or individual courage like Finn.

There is some morality/ethics of war, government, and killing in Fett's story.

Maybe, but you could change him out for any human being and tell the same story.

Well sure. He's not a dynamic character.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: ITT dimejinky99 vomits random Star Wars thoughts
PostPosted: Thu September 03, 2020 8:39 am 
Offline
User avatar
what on earth am I talking about
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 12:35 am
Posts: 31941
durdencommatyler wrote:
Strat wrote:
B wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:
For all that he might be right, the point he’s missed is Finn is a supplementary character. Not the main one. They could have given Finn more to do other than shouting ‘Rey’ every few scenes but that’s not really down to Disney. He was given a whole side story in TLJ after all.


He's also the most compelling stories of any character that Star Wars has ever created, and JJ completely failed to capitalize on that despite having created the character in the first place.

JJ is good at grand ideas but I dont think his strong suit is really storytelling and character development.

It's interesting that Boyega specifically calls out Disney and defends JJ, saying that it's not on him. To me that suggests -- and I realize here I'm kinda doing that thing I hate that click-bait articles do by assuming something someone didn't actually say by reading between the lines -- that he's far more frustrated with what Rian did with Finn that what JJ did in TROS. I'm not putting words in Boyega's mouth. I'm not saying that's what he's saying or that he want to imply that. Only that it's strange to me that so many are reading that article and immediately blaming JJ.

I think he has a lot of valid points in that article. Dime has a point in that Finn is a supporting character. But that doesn't mean the character can't have more nuance. There's a lot to unpack in what he's thinking/saying (and what it seems from the article he's feeling). We can blame JJ (or even Rian) all we want but I still think it's interesting that Boyega doesn't. His issues seem to rest on Disney's shoulders. Disney and specifically the marketing of Finn.



He has previously called Kelly ‘weak’ for the way she dealt with the abuse she got.
I’m not sure I believe that given I can’t find any citation for it but it’s in the chatter.
Tbh I dint really buy anything he’s saying wrt Star Wars or Disney in this interview.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: ITT dimejinky99 vomits random Star Wars thoughts
PostPosted: Thu September 03, 2020 12:54 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Looks Like a Cat
 Profile

Joined: Fri July 12, 2013 9:11 pm
Posts: 13083
Location: Oslo, Norway
durdencommatyler wrote:
Strat wrote:
B wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:
For all that he might be right, the point he’s missed is Finn is a supplementary character. Not the main one. They could have given Finn more to do other than shouting ‘Rey’ every few scenes but that’s not really down to Disney. He was given a whole side story in TLJ after all.


He's also the most compelling stories of any character that Star Wars has ever created, and JJ completely failed to capitalize on that despite having created the character in the first place.

JJ is good at grand ideas but I dont think his strong suit is really storytelling and character development.

It's interesting that Boyega specifically calls out Disney and defends JJ, saying that it's not on him. To me that suggests -- and I realize here I'm kinda doing that thing I hate that click-bait articles do by assuming something someone didn't actually say by reading between the lines -- that he's far more frustrated with what Rian did with Finn that what JJ did in TROS. I'm not putting words in Boyega's mouth. I'm not saying that's what he's saying or that he want to imply that. Only that it's strange to me that so many are reading that article and immediately blaming JJ.

I think he has a lot of valid points in that article. Dime has a point in that Finn is a supporting character. But that doesn't mean the character can't have more nuance. There's a lot to unpack in what he's thinking/saying (and what it seems from the article he's feeling). We can blame JJ (or even Rian) all we want but I still think it's interesting that Boyega doesn't. His issues seem to rest on Disney's shoulders. Disney and specifically the marketing of Finn.


I'm not really surprised. Finn in TFA is one of the best characters in Star Wars ever. TLJ really let him down. Off on a stupid sidequest, a bit of light comedy. He gets some redemption in TROS I think, leading the attack at the end, hints at Jedi powers, although he deserved a lot more.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: ITT dimejinky99 vomits random Star Wars thoughts
PostPosted: Thu September 03, 2020 2:10 pm 
Offline
User avatar
what on earth am I talking about
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 12:35 am
Posts: 31941
It’s right there in a rather alarming way of you look at it. The three black characters, Boyega especially, aren’t doing anything. They’re just, there.

Image


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: ITT dimejinky99 vomits random Star Wars thoughts
PostPosted: Thu September 03, 2020 2:23 pm 
Offline
User avatar
NEVER STOP JAMMING!
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:10 pm
Posts: 22602
Finn went from súper funny, interesting, and corageus to nothin in ep8 and 9. His REYYY screams in the last one are súper embarrasing.

I feel bad for John. Im sure he was told another thing about his character.

_________________
BONE FUCKIN´ TOMAHAWK.


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 348 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment » Star Wars


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Simple Torture and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
It is currently Thu September 24, 2020 11:40 am