The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment » Star Wars

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 354 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 18  Next
 Post subject: Star Wars: The Sequels
PostPosted: Thu January 18, 2018 7:11 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Discuss the sequels as whole here. What you love about them or what you hate about them. Which is the superior trilogy? The last movie in the sequel trilogy, Star Wars: Episode IX, has its own thread, and will be released on December 20, 2019.

Star Wars: Episode VII: The Force Awakens (2015)
http://forums.theskyiscrape.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=518

Star Wars: Episode VIII: The Last Jedi (2017)
http://forums.theskyiscrape.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=6637

Star Wars: Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker (2019)
http://forums.theskyiscrape.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=9632

Star Wars: The Prequels
http://forums.theskyiscrape.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=6908

Star Wars: The Original Trilogy
http://forums.theskyiscrape.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=15539

Last edited by Anders on Sun May 03, 2020 4:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Star Wars: The Sequels
PostPosted: Thu January 18, 2018 8:22 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Kylo TFA:

Kylo TLJ:

PostPosted: Thu January 18, 2018 1:52 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

I was just saying that this forum needed another thread or two

PostPosted: Sat October 27, 2018 6:48 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

I think they should have gone with one writing team for all three episodes. That way the story would have felt more fluid and connected. Of course episode nine will still affect how we view the sequel trilogy.

PostPosted: Fri April 12, 2019 8:07 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Finally we can see the sequels as a whole.

Last edited by Anders on Wed August 28, 2019 10:55 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat April 13, 2019 2:26 pm 
The worst

If they stick the landing the sequels may come out on top for me. But if the ending isn't satisfying it could impact what I think about TFA and TLJ

Current rankings

The Last Jedi
A New Hope
Empire Strikes Back
The Force Awakens
Return of the Jedi
Rogue One

Solo

Prequels

Running TSIS Review

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Sat April 13, 2019 2:41 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

The Last Jedi is not near the top for me, but if IX is solid, I still think that will put the sequels in a solid place. Like TFA, but with more gravity and answers. It could even strengthen how I view TFA and TLJ. Really I feel like it’s a win-win situation.

PostPosted: Sat April 13, 2019 2:59 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

Anders wrote:
I think they should have gone with one writing team for all three episodes. That way the story would have felt more fluid and connected. Of course episode nine will still affect how we view the sequel trilogy.

Agree with this. Also i think JJ had better ideas for TFA, and he used the safer ones.

PostPosted: Sat April 13, 2019 3:08 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

VinylGuy wrote:
Anders wrote:

Agree with this. Also i think JJ had better ideas for TFA, and he used the safer ones.

Yes. TFA was really creative in the first half, and then still ended up feeling a bit safe. A JJ trilogy would have given him more space and time. But now I’m just excited to see how he handles this final movie of the saga and trilogy. TLJ even challenged him a bit, to come up with something different.

PostPosted: Sat April 13, 2019 3:20 pm 
what on earth am I talking about

It’s a hope but I have a feeling TROS is going to make a lot of people feel better about TLJ.

PostPosted: Sat April 13, 2019 3:27 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

We really need all three movies out to make a conclusion on it, but it’s not impossible, if JJ manages to make all three movies connected within both the overall saga and this trilogy. TLJ will always be the beautiful movie with wasted plots for me, but might be somewhat redeemed by IX.

PostPosted: Mon April 15, 2019 8:25 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Strat wrote:
I can't wait for more information about this film. However, im pretty certain that will be the best trailer we get, no?

The main trailers aren't that much longer than the teasers, but there will be a proper trailer as well. I'll post the trailers from The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi next. Both were released in October the year the movie came out.

The Force Awakens also had a second teaser between the first teaser and the trailer, but that was only because the first teaser came out really early. The second TFA teaser, the only TLJ teaser, and the current TRoS teaser, all came out in April.

Last edited by Anders on Tue November 19, 2019 8:49 pm, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon April 15, 2019 8:28 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

The Force Awakens official trailer was released on the October 20th, 2015, while the The Last Jedi official trailer was released on October 9th, 2017.

Last edited by Anders on Wed August 28, 2019 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu April 18, 2019 8:30 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Found this info on what happened in the new canon between the end of Return Of The Jedi and The Last Jedi.

Spoiler: show
4 ABY: The Galactic Empire Falls

After staging a distraction over the Imperial-occupied planet of Sullust, the Rebel Fleet gathers over the forest moon of Endor, successfully destroying the under-construction Death Star II. Both Emperor Palpatine and his enforcer Darth Vader perish in the ensuing battle, dealing a mortal blow to the Empire’s order of rule across key star systems. (MOVIE: Star Wars Episode VI: Return of the Jedi)
In the celebratory aftermath of victory on Endor, Princess Leia Organa and Alliance General Han Solo are married in a private ceremony. (NOVEL: Aftermath: Life Debt, NOVEL: Aftermath: Empire’s End)
Luke Skywalker travels to the planet Pillio in search of artifacts held in secret observatories by Palpatine. Encountering Inferno Squad agent Del Meeko, Luke recovers a compass from Palpatine’s observatory on the planet. (GAME: Battlefront II)

Palpatine’s death activates a contingency plan among remaining Imperial admirals known as Operation: Cinder, targeting key worlds—including Naboo, Vardos, Commenor, and more—with climate-disrupting satellite weaponry designed to ravage worlds and instill fear among Imperial citizens. After Cinder’s successful implementation on Vardos, Inferno Squadron members Iden Versio and Del Meeko defect to the Rebel Alliance, helping to defeat Operation: Cinder above Naboo alongside Princess Leia Organa. (Battlefront II, COMIC: Shattered Empire)
The Rebel Alliance dissolves, formally reorganizing itself into the New Republic. (NOVEL: Aftermath)
Governer Adelhard of the Anoat Sector instigates the Iron Blockade, locking down transport in and out of the system and cracking down on the dissemination of outside information. Discontent insurgents on the worlds within the sector begin open rebellion. (GAME: Uprising)
The planets of Akiva, Sterdic IV, Bespin, and Malastare are liberated from Imperial rule. Riots that broke out following the Emperor’s death on Coruscant flourish into a planetary civil war. (Aftermath)
The Galactic Senate is restored on the planet Chandrila, and Mon Mothma is elected Chancellor. Mothma announces her plans to relinquish the emergency powers granted to the Chancellor’s office during the outbreak of the Clone Wars nearly three decades earlier, as well as moves to reduce the size of the New Republic military by 90 percent in the aftermath of the Galactic Civil War. (Aftermath)

5 ABY: The New Republic Era

On a mission to the planet Vetine, Luke Skywalker and Shara Bey recover two fragments of the Great Tree that once sat at the heart of the Jedi Temple on Coruscant from a secret Imperial facility. One fragment is kept by Skywalker, and the second is offered as a gift to Bey and her husband, Kes Dameron, who plant it on Yavin IV after retiring from the New Republic military to raise their young son, Poe. (Shattered Empire)
A force of smugglers and bounty hunters recruited by Han Solo and Chewbacca, along with assistance from Rebel operatives and the New Republic Fleet, successfully liberate the Wookiee homeworld of Kashyyyk from the Empire’s rule. His life debt to Solo fulfilled, Chewbacca retires to Kashyyyk with his family. (Aftermath: Life Debt)
Peace talks between the Empire and the New Republic on Chandrila disintegrate when former Imperial prisoners, unknowing sleeper agents controlled by secret implants, open fire on Imperial and New Republic ambassadors, killing and wounding several. The Galactic Senate temporarily relocates to the planet Nakadia in the aftermath. (Aftermath: Life Debt)

The Imperial Remnant gathers its military forces over the desert world of Jakku under the command of Gallius Rax and Moff Randd. After voting to take military action, the Galactic Senate sends New Republic forces to engage the Remnant fleet. Vastly outnumbered in the wake of a string of crushing losses across the galaxy, the Empire is totally defeated in the skies and on the ground at Jakku, losing multiple ships and the Super Star Destroyer Ravager, their derelict hulls left to decay after crashing down into on the surface, creating a region on the planet that would come to be known as the Starship Graveyard. (GAME: Battlefront, Battlefront II, NOVEL: Lost Stars, Aftermath: Empire’s End)
After being extracted out of conflict zones on Coruscant, Imperial Grand Vizier Mas Amedda contacts Mon Mothma and sues for peace, initiating talks that culminate in the signing of the Galactic Concordance. The Empire relinquishes several worlds to the New Republic, including Coruscant, and is given strict borders for its own territories. According to the Imperial Articles of Surrender, the recruitment and mobilization of Imperial armed forces is ended, and the Imperial Government at large is dissolved, leading to the creation of an internal Government within the Empire’s newly-established territories. The Galactic Civil War concludes, five years after it officially began at the Battle of Scarif. (Aftermath: Empire’s End, Lost Stars, BOOK: Star Wars: The Force Awakens Visual Dictionary)
Ben Solo, the son of General Leia Organa and Han Solo, is born on Chandrila. (Aftermath: Empire’s End)
Surviving Imperial forces lead by Admiral Rae Sloane continue to engage the New Republic in various holdouts on Jakku, before retreating into the Unknown Regions on the deathbed orders of Gallius Rax. She helps to slowly but surely rebuild the Empire in secret, an entity that eventually renames itself the First Order. (Aftermath: Empire’s End, Star Wars: The Force Awakens Visual Dictionary)

The Wilderness Years

11 ABY: Finn is born, and soon separated from his family to be raised under the designation FN-2187 by the First Order. (Star Wars: The Force Awakens Visual Dictionary)
Approximately between 13-19 ABY: First Order General Brendol Hux crashlands on the low-tech world of Parnassos, encountering a warrior of the Scyre tribe named Phasma. Phasma helps Hux leave Parnassos, joining him as a member of the First Order’s leadership. (NOVEL: Phasma)
15 ABY: Rey is born. (Star Wars: The Force Awakens Visual Dictionary)
21 ABY: Working in secret with a political subgroup within the Galactic Senate, the First Order reaches out to criminal cartels and the mercenary group known as the Amaxine Warriors to begin securing funding to rebuild its Navy. (NOVEL: Bloodline)
Approximately between 23-28 ABY: After sensing the potential lure of the Dark Side of the Force in her son, Leia Organa sends Ben to train in the ways of the Force with her brother and his fledgling next generation of Jedi Knights. (Bloodline)

28 ABY: The Rise of the First Order

The Galactic Senate begins discussions to create the office of the “First Senator” to replace the Chancellor’s role and heal growing divides between two emergent factions within the Senate: The Populists, who are advocating for New Republic member worlds to maintain their sovereignty, and the Centrists, who want a strong centralized government and an increased military force in the wake of Mon Mothma’s demilitarization pact. (Bloodline)
The Amaxine Warriors, led by a former Imperial, launch several terrorist attacks against the Senate, targeting Populist leaders. Senators Leia Organa and Ransolm Casterfo are tasked with investigating the group. (Bloodline)
Acting on information provided by Centrist senator Carise Sindian, Casterfo publicly exposes Leia Organa as the daughter of Darth Vader, to the shock and dismay of the Galactic Senate. In light of the revelations about her parentage, Leia exits the election to become First Senator and resigns from the Senate. (Bloodline)
Shortly after her resignation, Leia Organa officially forms a paramilitary group dubbed the Resistance alongside former New Republic Admiral Gial Ackbar to combat the threat of the Empire’s return when the New Republic will not. (Bloodline)
Carise Sindian reveals plans for Centrist Senators to formally secede from the New Republic, joining with First Order military forces in the Unknown Regions. (Bloodline)
Approximately between 28-34 ABY: Ben Solo falls to the Dark Side, betraying his uncle, destroying the emerging new Jedi Order, and taking the name Kylo Ren before joining the First Order. Horrified by the slaughter, Luke Skywalker goes into exile, in search of the location of the first Jedi Temple. (Bloodline, Star Wars: The Force Awakens)

34 ABY: A New War

Following altercations with First Order forces at Suraz and OR-Kappa-2722, New Republic Commander Poe Dameron defects to the Resistance alongside members of his X-Wing team, Rapier Squadron. (NOVEL: Before the Awakening)
Captured by First Order forces, former New Republic soldier Del Meeko is tortured at Kylo Ren’s hands, and reveals that the explorer Lor San Tekka took a fragment of a map leading to Luke Skywalker’s location to the planet Bayora. Meeko is killed shortly after. (Battlefront II)
On a mission to the planet Taul to gain information about captured Resistance Admiral Gial Ackbar, C-3PO loses his left arm, replacing it with a red one scavenged from a First Order droid. (COMIC: C-3PO: The Phantom Limb)
General Leia Organa tasks Poe Dameron with searching for Lor San Tekka and the map to her brother. Dameron forms the ace pilot team known as Black Squadron for the operation. (COMIC: Poe Dameron)

Resistance forces secure part of a map leading to the location of exiled Jedi Master Luke Skywalker from Lor San Tekka, and a cold war turns hot as the First Order, striking from the hidden planetary weapon known as Starkiller Base, eradicates the New Republic Senate on Hosnian Prime. Former Alliance hero Han Solo is killed during a Resistance mission to cripple Starkiller, and Rey sets out to the planet of Ahch-To to learn the ways of the Force. (Star Wars: The Force Awakens)
Escaping the destruction of Starkiller Base, Captain Phasma tracks down and executes First Order Lieutenant Sol Rivas for treason and allowing the planetary shield around Starkiller to be lowered, covering her own involvement in the assault, before retreating into First Order space. (COMIC: Captain Phasma)
Rey encounters Luke Skywalker, returning his father’s lightsaber to him. The Resistance, fearing retaliation after the destruction of Starkiller Base, flees its formerly-hidden base on D’Qar. With the New Republic’s seat of power turned to ash, the First Order emerges from out of the Unknown Regions of the galaxy to enter open war with the remnants of the New Republic, and the forces that would resist its complete dominance. (MOVIE: Star Wars: The Last Jedi)

https://io9.gizmodo.com/a-timeline-of-everything-we-know-happened-after-return-1820781008

PostPosted: Thu April 18, 2019 9:10 pm 

Interestingly, the Mandalorian is set 6 years after ROTJ and the clip the other day had stormtroopers and Werner Herzog as their boss, so I wonder how much of that history relevant to them period will play in, meaning the empire is no more and the only maintaining in small hold outs

PostPosted: Thu April 18, 2019 9:13 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

It will be strange if they deviate from what is now considered the new canon by Disney. But I'm sure there is some sort of logic behind whatever they choose to do.

PostPosted: Thu April 18, 2019 9:18 pm 

I’m forgetting Filoni is involved and Favreau was up at the ranch writing so the storygroup would be all over this too.
Which is a great thing.

PostPosted: Thu April 18, 2019 9:20 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Yes, they are sensible people, and Filoni being involved can only be good. The panel for the series was probably the best event from the entire weekend, apart from the IX teaser.

PostPosted: Thu April 18, 2019 9:31 pm 

It easily was. They were all so excited.

Did you see the evolution of design one?
The incredible Doug Chang talking about design in Star Wars. I love his work and aesthetic and it’s a fascinating watch.
It’s up on YouTube if you missed it

PostPosted: Thu April 18, 2019 9:36 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

No, I haven't seen that one. I'll check out it now. Thank you.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 354 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 18  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment » Star Wars