The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment » Star Wars

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 354 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next
 Post subject: Re: Star Wars: The Sequels
PostPosted: Fri January 28, 2022 5:58 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

JuanHamm wrote:
Ewan McGregor is 90% of what's great about the prequels.

No argument here.

PostPosted: Fri January 28, 2022 6:00 pm 
Major Dude

epilogue wrote:
JuanHamm wrote:

No argument here.

Has anyone argued otherwise?

PostPosted: Fri January 28, 2022 6:02 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

wease wrote:
epilogue wrote:
JuanHamm wrote:

No argument here.

Has anyone argued otherwise?

I'll kill 'em!

PostPosted: Fri January 28, 2022 6:03 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

epilogue wrote:
I just re-watched Attack of the Clones last week. It's still my favorite of the PT. The Anakin/Padme stuff is rough but the rest of the story is so engaging. I love Noir-Detective-Obi Wan so much!

The Anakin/Padme is so painful to watch that I can't even consider enjoying the rest of the movie.

Boba Fett is awful as well. Why, why, George Lucas, did you think it was wise to make an OT badass into a stupid little kid for 2 movies in a row?

Maybe we can go back a little further and watch teen Tarkin get beat up by bullies on the playground.

PostPosted: Fri January 28, 2022 6:04 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

Do a Muppet Babies-like cartoon, but with Jabba, Bib Fortuna, and his guards.

PostPosted: Fri January 28, 2022 6:05 pm 
Future Drummer

B wrote:
epilogue wrote:
I just re-watched Attack of the Clones last week. It's still my favorite of the PT. The Anakin/Padme stuff is rough but the rest of the story is so engaging. I love Noir-Detective-Obi Wan so much!

The Anakin/Padme is so painful to watch that I can't even consider enjoying the rest of the movie.

Boba Fett is awful as well. Why, why, George Lucas, did you think it was wise to make an OT badass into a stupid little kid for 2 movies in a row?

Maybe we can go back a little further and watch teen Tarkin get beat up by bullies on the playground.

Once you get to the acceptance stage of PT and ST era SW, you just won't give a shit at all. It's nice. You're at the anger stage right now. Only 313 steps to go!

PostPosted: Fri January 28, 2022 7:00 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

B wrote:
epilogue wrote:

In all seriousness, not trying to fight with you or anyone, but what exactly is badass about Boba Fett in the OT? Genuinely, curious to hear your take. Outside of his look. What does he DO or SAY that's badass?

This is so common among Star Wars fans and I've never really understood it. Wease getting the action figure before the movies and having is imagination explode makes total sense to me. But that's different. Just looking at the text, at what happens, when is Boba Fett a badass?

PostPosted: Fri January 28, 2022 7:02 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

And I like the idea of the Anakin/Padme stuff. I like the themes Lucas wanted to tackle and explore. It's just all handled so badly. Doesn't ruin the movie for me though. There so much else going on that I adore. The mood. The Tone. The action. The mystery. The camp.

Movie is a ton of fun.

PostPosted: Fri January 28, 2022 7:23 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

epilogue wrote:
In all seriousness, not trying to fight with you or anyone, but what exactly is badass about Boba Fett in the OT? Genuinely, curious to hear your take. Outside of his look. What does he DO or SAY that's badass?

He always had that "Man With No Name" gunslinger vibe, but in all fairness, his fall into the Sarlaac was very Looney Tunes. There should have been a sad trombone when he got swallowed.

PostPosted: Fri January 28, 2022 7:27 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

B wrote:
epilogue wrote:

He always had that "Man With No Name" gunslinger vibe, but in all fairness, his fall into the Sarlaac was very Looney Tunes. There should have been a sad trombone when he got swallowed.

:lol:

I love the way fans took over the legacy of the character and made him a mythic badass. It's the power of fandom.

PostPosted: Fri January 28, 2022 7:32 pm 
Major Dude

B wrote:
epilogue wrote:

Yeah. It wasn’t so much what he DID as much as it was his whole mystique. Again, as a kid, this mostly unknown character just oozed attitude and the response both within the movie and with the audience suggested this was a motherfucker nobody messed with.

His “death” was ridiculous.

PostPosted: Fri January 28, 2022 7:36 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

wease wrote:
B wrote:
epilogue wrote:

Yeah. It wasn’t so much what he DID as much as it was his whole mystique. Again, as a kid, this mostly unknown character just oozed attitude and the response both within the movie and with the audience suggested this was a motherfucker nobody messed with.

But isn't it amazing that his "death" is most of what we see him do and yet people still remember him otherwise as this mysterious badass nobody wants to fuck with?

I just love that. The way our imaginations can fill in gaps. The way our own emotional canon can change our relationship with the text. I've always loved that about Star Wars. It can be so goofy and idiotic and yet so powerful and compelling. All at once!

PostPosted: Fri January 28, 2022 7:41 pm 
Major Dude

epilogue wrote:
wease wrote:
B wrote:
epilogue wrote:

But isn't it amazing that his "death" is most of what we see him do and yet people still remember him otherwise as this mysterious badass nobody wants to fuck with?

I just love that. The way our imaginations can fill in gaps. The way our own emotional canon can change our relationship with the text. I've always loved that about Star Wars. It can be so goofy and idiotic and yet so powerful and compelling. All at once!

We also had the character descriptions on the back of the cards for the action figures as well as trading cards that told us more about the characters. And back then, we took every scrap of info we could find. So it wasn’t just the two movies back then. MOSTLY, but not only.

PostPosted: Fri January 28, 2022 7:42 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

wease wrote:
epilogue wrote:
wease wrote:
B wrote:
epilogue wrote:

We also had the character descriptions on the back of the cards for the action figures as well as trading cards that told us more about the characters. And back then, we took every scrap of info we could find. So it wasn’t just the two movies back then. MOSTLY, but not only.

That's a really good point and easy to forget.

PostPosted: Fri January 28, 2022 8:01 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

I think fans loved all of the bounty hunters in Empire who stood there and said nothing. Nothing works better for a Star Wars character than having no George Lucas dialogue.

PostPosted: Fri January 28, 2022 8:02 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

B wrote:
I think fans loved all of the bounty hunters in Empire who stood there and said nothing. Nothing works better for a Star Wars character than having no George Lucas dialogue.

:lol:

PostPosted: Fri January 28, 2022 8:44 pm 
Major Dude

B wrote:

Joking aside, yes. Just from their introduction alone, they were presented as badmotherfuckers. And the mysteriousness only played up to that. There was one whose figure you could only get thru a mail away and not many in my circle had that one. I want to say it was Zuckuss, but it may have been 4-LOM. And the characters you had to send off special for, you knew those were special characters.

PostPosted: Fri January 28, 2022 8:47 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

People make fun but Lucas really changed the game with the toys and merch. Fucker knew what he was doing. It's such a huge part of the fandom -- especially for those around our age.

PostPosted: Fri January 28, 2022 9:36 pm 
Major Dude

I looked thru my incomplete set of the ESB trading cards. I couldn’t find the Fett card. My oldest had the cards for a while so she probably did something with the ones that are missing.

PostPosted: Fri January 28, 2022 10:21 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

I just completed my lego Star Wars mini figure original bounty Hunter set. I have a problem with collecting these fucking minifigures

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 354 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment » Star Wars