The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment » Star Wars

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 354 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 18  Next
 Post subject: Re: Star Wars: The Sequels
PostPosted: Thu January 27, 2022 8:06 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

wease wrote:
epilogue wrote:
wease wrote:
Ever since we got that action figure a year before the movie came out, he’s been one of my favorite SW characters. Who knows why at this point? And does it matter? But in 1980 we finally got a movie with him in it and that was that.

It doesn't matter one bit.

Bodhi Rook is one of my favorite characters!

It doesn't matter what hooks us. And Fett has an amazing design. No one can honestly deny that. The look is amazing. And without much story he's wide open to the imagination. I totally get that.

I missed all of that. Empire came out the year I was born. And I didn't see any of the OT until well after it was complete and out of theaters. I found SW on VHS. By the time I was old enough to really even have an opinion on Fett, he was just a cool looking dude who went out in a Three Stooges skit.

I wish I'd had that in between time when everything was possible with the character. Because the look alone is enough to inspire adoration.

Man. It really was a magical time. I still vividly remember reactions to certain scenes and every winter for years after, the field behind our home was Hoth and I was Luke. I remember the anticipation and waiting to go see it. Then I remember going with all my older cousins (who always had ALL the toys) to go see it. They had just gotten back from seeing it and then we all went and they saw it again. After having the Fett figure for a while and finally seeing what his deal was, I was fucking HOOKED.

Dude, that's so awesome. What a great memory!

When they re-released the Special Editions, I was in high school. And I was doing a play. But my friend worked at an AMC and he was going to get me into the private employee screening of Empire (this was in Feb of 97). It snowed like a motherfucker that night. But my castmates helped me get out of the theater after the performance as quickly as possible so I could make the screening.

I drove as fast as I could to the AMC (about 30 min drive in normal conditions). We all joked that I did the Kessel Run through Hoth to make it. But I got to see The Empire Strikes Back on the big screen for the first time with a small, private audience. Just me and like 10 other people and it was amazing.

PostPosted: Thu January 27, 2022 9:21 pm 
Major Dude

epilogue wrote:
wease wrote:
epilogue wrote:
wease wrote:
Ever since we got that action figure a year before the movie came out, he’s been one of my favorite SW characters. Who knows why at this point? And does it matter? But in 1980 we finally got a movie with him in it and that was that.

It doesn't matter what hooks us. And Fett has an amazing design. No one can honestly deny that. The look is amazing. And without much story he's wide open to the imagination. I totally get that.

I missed all of that. Empire came out the year I was born. And I didn't see any of the OT until well after it was complete and out of theaters. I found SW on VHS. By the time I was old enough to really even have an opinion on Fett, he was just a cool looking dude who went out in a Three Stooges skit.

I wish I'd had that in between time when everything was possible with the character. Because the look alone is enough to inspire adoration.

Man. It really was a magical time. I still vividly remember reactions to certain scenes and every winter for years after, the field behind our home was Hoth and I was Luke. I remember the anticipation and waiting to go see it. Then I remember going with all my older cousins (who always had ALL the toys) to go see it. They had just gotten back from seeing it and then we all went and they saw it again. After having the Fett figure for a while and finally seeing what his deal was, I was fucking HOOKED.

When they re-released the Special Editions, I was in high school. And I was doing a play. But my friend worked at an AMC and he was going to get me into the private employee screening of Empire (this was in Feb of 97). It snowed like a motherfucker that night. But my castmates helped me get out of the theater after the performance as quickly as possible so I could make the screening.

I drove as fast as I could to the AMC (about 30 min drive in normal conditions). We all joked that I did the Kessel Run through Hoth to make it. But I got to see The Empire Strikes Back on the big screen for the first time with a small, private audience. Just me and like 10 other people and it was amazing.

I think if I had discovered SW as an adult I wouldn’t have connected with it so intensely and wouldn’t be anything like the fan I am today.

PostPosted: Thu January 27, 2022 10:21 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

wease wrote:
epilogue wrote:
wease wrote:
epilogue wrote:
wease wrote:

I think if I had discovered SW as an adult I wouldn’t have connected with it so intensely and wouldn’t be anything like the fan I am today.

I'm positive you're right.

PostPosted: Thu January 27, 2022 11:14 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

wease wrote:
epilogue wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
epilogue wrote:
Anders wrote:
How will the sequels stand the test of time? Will they be considered an inprovement on the prequels?

They already are better than the prequels.

False

Nope

Ruddo is right

Ruddo is wrong. Ep is right.

PostPosted: Thu January 27, 2022 11:16 pm 
Major Dude

B wrote:
wease wrote:
epilogue wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
epilogue wrote:
Anders wrote:
How will the sequels stand the test of time? Will they be considered an inprovement on the prequels?

They already are better than the prequels.

False

Nope

Ruddo is right

Ruddo is wrong. Ep is right.

No. I’m right. Epilogue just said so.

PostPosted: Thu January 27, 2022 11:16 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

VinylGuy wrote:

Script wise, they are already pointed out as the weakest of the bunch.

Go back and watch AotC, and try to tell me that dialogue wasn't written by a 5th grader.

PostPosted: Thu January 27, 2022 11:18 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

epilogue wrote:

So you're going to disagree with me even when my thesis is that you are correct?

PostPosted: Thu January 27, 2022 11:35 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

B wrote:
epilogue wrote:

So you're going to disagree with me even when my thesis is that you are correct?

Wut

PostPosted: Thu January 27, 2022 11:43 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

epilogue wrote:
B wrote:
epilogue wrote:

Wut

Fuck. This thread was moving too fast for me. I am dumb.

PostPosted: Fri January 28, 2022 12:02 am 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

Sequels are bad.

PostPosted: Fri January 28, 2022 12:38 am 
The Master

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
Sequels are bad.

T2 would beg to differ

PostPosted: Fri January 28, 2022 12:40 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

Strat wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
Sequels are bad.

T2 would beg to differ

Also Aliens

PostPosted: Fri January 28, 2022 1:45 am 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

I meant these sequels you knobs

PostPosted: Fri January 28, 2022 3:23 am 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
I meant these sequels you knobs

You can keep saying but it'll never be true.

PostPosted: Fri January 28, 2022 1:48 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

It took 67 hours of Clone Wars to make the prequels palatable. Let's give the sequels a fair shot.

PostPosted: Fri January 28, 2022 3:57 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

It's easy to forget how bizarre and lacking those PT movies were when they first came out. Hell, most people, even those that are anti-ST to the end, still rank Attack of the Clones last. We've had two decades of additional storytelling to help flesh out and strengthen the PT, to B's point. It's not hard to imagine the same will happen with the ST.

And just like with the PT, there are already legions of fans who call the ST "their Star Wars." When you encounter the story matters. How much you want to engage with each part of the grand story matters, too. Regardless of first impressions we've all had WAY more time to digest and engage with the PT, for better or worse.

PostPosted: Fri January 28, 2022 4:59 pm 
Major Dude

I actually like AotC better than Phantom Menace. The kid is terrible and Jar Jar is just too much. Yes, I understand why he was in the movie but I just didn’t care for him. And then there’s the midichoirians, a way way to actually QUANTIFY how strong in the Force someone is. Horrible idea.

Qui-Gon and Maul are fucking badass, tho.

PostPosted: Fri January 28, 2022 5:01 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

I just re-watched Attack of the Clones last week. It's still my favorite of the PT. The Anakin/Padme stuff is rough but the rest of the story is so engaging. I love Noir-Detective-Obi Wan so much!

PostPosted: Fri January 28, 2022 5:36 pm 
Major Dude

Exactly!!

PostPosted: Fri January 28, 2022 5:51 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

Ewan McGregor is 90% of what's great about the prequels.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 354 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 18  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment » Star Wars