The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment » Star Wars

Post subject: Unaltered versions of original trilogy
PostPosted: Thu February 23, 2017 11:29 pm 
Broken Tamborine

There's always rumors but there is a fair bit of noise building that Disney and Fox may have finally come to some arrangement over the distribution rights for New Hope....

http://makingstarwars.net/2017/02/rumor-unaltered-original-star-wars-trilogy-re-released-year/

I'd be more excited for this than a Han Solo prequel.

Post subject: Re: Unaltered versions of original trilogy
PostPosted: Fri February 24, 2017 1:05 am 
The Master

4K plz

PostPosted: Fri February 24, 2017 1:17 am 
The Master

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
4K plz

Honest question. Would this even look good? or 4k good? Unaltered originally filmed star wars from 1978 on 4k.

PostPosted: Fri February 24, 2017 1:18 am 
The Master

Strat wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
4K plz

Honest question. Would this even look good? or 4k good? Unaltered originally filmed star wars from 1978 on 4k.

Hell yes. Older movies, properly handled, often look better than newer movies, IMO. Real film is a beautiful thing.

PostPosted: Fri February 24, 2017 1:23 am 
The Master

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
Strat wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
4K plz

Hell yes. Older movies, properly handled, often look better than newer movies, IMO. Real film is a beautiful thing.

Yea, i get that absolutely. But why do you like the prequels then? :)

Just wasn't sure you could even convert such an old thing to 4k! I dont know how this shit works.

PostPosted: Fri February 24, 2017 1:33 am 
The Master

Strat wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
Strat wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
4K plz

Just wasn't sure you could even convert such an old thing to 4k! I dont know how this shit works.

Ghostbusters II from 1989 looks mindbogglingly gorgeous in 4K.

All UHD is, at its core, is a resolution upgrade which allows for greater detail. Just like HD was from DVD. And 35mm film contains a hell of a lot of fine detail. People underestimate film, I think. Additionally, in the analog era, film wasn't converted to a lossy digital intermediate for color timing, which means no loss of resolution. Just pure, raw, photochemically developed film, straight into a 4K digital master.

There are additional benefits to 4K discs, like a wider color gamut and high dynamic range lighting, all of which - applied tastefully - makes the image pop and breathe even more. It's really stunning when done well.

I could get deeper and more technical but I'm sure no one cares about this but me, lol.

PostPosted: Fri February 24, 2017 1:35 am 
Poster of the Year

It's like making FLACs from the master tape, instead of transcoding them from mp3s.

Poster of the Year

disclaimer: I understand the staggering limitations of that analogy

The Master

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
Strat wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
Strat wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
4K plz

All UHD is, at its core, is a resolution upgrade which allows for greater detail. Just like HD was from DVD. And 35mm film contains a hell of a lot of fine detail. People underestimate film, I think. Additionally, in the analog era, film wasn't converted to a lossy digital intermediate for color timing, which means no loss of resolution. Just pure, raw, photochemically developed film, straight into a 4K digital master.

There are additional benefits to 4K discs, like a wider color gamut and high dynamic range lighting, all of which - applied tastefully - makes the image pop and breathe even more. It's really stunning when done well.

I could get deeper and more technical but I'm sure no one cares about this but me, lol.

Go on. By all means!

I mean, ive upgraded a few TV's over the years and im always shocked at how much better it is. Remember regular cable with a tube tv? once i went HD i could never go back. I get it. Then you get used to it and its less exciting until you take the next step.

PostPosted: Fri February 24, 2017 1:36 am 
The Master

cutuphalfdead wrote:

God you are sexy when you're humble.

PostPosted: Fri February 24, 2017 1:36 am 
Poster of the Year

Strat wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:

God you are sexy when you're humble.

:li:

PostPosted: Fri February 24, 2017 1:46 am 
The Master

cutuphalfdead wrote:
It's like making FLACs from the master tape, instead of transcoding them from mp3s.

Yes, this is pretty accurate, I'd say.

Fun fact: O Brother, Where Art Thou? was the first film to use digital color grading, and We Were Soldiers was the first film to use a full, beginning-to-end digital intermediate. This set us down an unfortunate course, because the vast majority of films made between 2002 and the present began using DIs, which were almost always finished at 2K. This means they essentially downgraded the resolution of the 35mm film or whatever digital format they filmed the movie in to 2K for the final, color-timed product, which was primarily a cost-saving measure (special effects are cheaper to render in 2K than 4K). This means over a decade's worth of movies are never going to look as good as they could, since there is no way to achieve true 4K resolution with those lossy 2K DIs. Thankfully, now that 4K TVs are a thing, studios are slowly learning their lesson beginning to finish a growing number of movies with 4K DIs, which is creating some spectacular results on 4K UHD Blu-rays. (Not that movies with 2K DIs look bad - just not as good as they could.)

PostPosted: Fri February 24, 2017 1:52 am 
The Master

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:

Fun fact: O Brother, Where Art Thou? was the first film to use digital color grading, and We Were Soldiers was the first film to use a full, beginning-to-end digital intermediate. This set us down an unfortunate course, because the vast majority of films made between 2002 and the present began using DIs, which were almost always finished at 2K. This means they essentially downgraded the resolution of the 35mm film or whatever digital format they filmed the movie in to 2K for the final, color-timed product, which was primarily a cost-saving measure (special effects are cheaper to render in 2K than 4K). This means over a decade's worth of movies are never going to look as good as they could, since there is no way to achieve true 4K resolution with those lossy 2K DIs. Thankfully, now that 4K TVs are a thing, studios are slowly learning their lesson beginning to finish a growing number of movies with 4K DIs, which is creating some spectacular results on 4K UHD Blu-rays. (Not that movies with 2K DIs look bad - just not as good as they could.)

yea most of that was over my head. however, is this the same argument with flacs, wavs, mp3, vinyl where most listeners (viewers) can't fucking tell a difference anyway?

PostPosted: Fri February 24, 2017 1:53 am 
The Master

Strat wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:

yea most of that was over my head. however, is this the same argument with flacs, wavs, mp3, vinyl where most listeners (viewers) can't fucking tell a difference anyway?

pretty much

Last edited by LoathedVermin72 on Fri February 24, 2017 1:55 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri February 24, 2017 1:54 am 
The Master

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
Strat wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:

pretty much

So its all about raising the standards of what is acceptable. Im all for that.

PostPosted: Fri February 24, 2017 1:55 am 
The Master

However, I have had some normies who don't care at all about this kind of stuff watch 4K movies on my set-up, and they have actually told me afterwards how beautiful it looked. There's hope!

PostPosted: Fri February 24, 2017 2:18 am 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

Normies

PostPosted: Fri February 24, 2017 3:32 am 
Major Dude

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
Strat wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
Strat wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
4K plz

Interesting. The medical imaging industry changed forever with the advent of digital imaging. Sure, you can manipulate the image and it's quicker but what a lot of people don't realize is that you still get clearer, crisper x-ray images using just plain film. The reason is the silver halide crystals used are finer than pixels on a computer screen, thus producing an overall clearer image.

PostPosted: Fri February 24, 2017 4:43 am 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
However, I have had some normies who don't care at all about this kind of stuff watch 4K movies on my set-up, and they have actually told me afterwards how beautiful it looked. There's hope!

You are officially a nerd.

PostPosted: Fri February 24, 2017 4:43 am 
The Master

Kaius wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:

You are officially a nerd.

don't be such a normie

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment » Star Wars