The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment » Star Wars

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 804 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 ... 41  Next
 Post subject: Re: Star Wars: Andor (Disney+)
PostPosted: Tue November 29, 2022 2:49 am 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Monkey_Driven wrote:
You can definitely tell the difference.

PostPosted: Tue November 29, 2022 2:50 am 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

B wrote:
epilogue wrote:
B wrote:
Interesting tidbit from a friend of mine in VFX. He said they still used the Volume for this, but they took it out to sites and put up pieces of it, like a wall or a half dome.

He thinks it's so much better because they designed the sets and used Volume where it helped. Obi-Wan was designed to be in the Volume, so everything looked like it was in the Volume.

I don't know who your friend is, but Tony Gilroy has disagrees:

Quote:
In a perfect world, we’d be able to shoot location and shoot old school, and then we’d use the Volume when we want to use it. There are times when the Volume would be really good for us, but the technology doesn’t exist to do both. You have to make a choice at this point because of the workflow on the Volume. All your post-production has to be done beforehand. You have to shoot all of your plates. Everything has to be done. When you go in the Volume, everything’s done. You’re just adding the actors.

Our system is completely different. We shoot everything with the actors, and we build out from there if we need to build out. And those two systems, maybe there’s somebody who’s doing it, but economically, you can’t do [both]. So, automatically, we were just like, ‘We have to be a build show.’ It wasn’t a controversy, really. I saw it get turned into a controversy the other day, but it’s not like that at all. There are times where we’d love to use it. It does some great things.”

Well, he's an outside insider so maybe he got it wrong.

He surely knows more than I do.

PostPosted: Tue November 29, 2022 3:27 am 
AnalLog

I recently watched Obi-Wan with the wife and you can tell where the volume starts and the stage ends kind of thing.

BUt I agree Andors storytelling was defo the highlight I can't say it was visually superior to anything we have seen previously.

PostPosted: Tue November 29, 2022 9:25 am 
what on earth am I talking about

The prison set was amazing as was the city set Cassian and Maarva lived in. You could see every penny on screen

PostPosted: Tue November 29, 2022 9:27 am 

The only comparison I can think of is the ahsoka episode of mando. That town she and he saves from the evil chick. The magistrate.
Surely they built all that? Ahsoka has a whole chase and fight scene jumping around walls and roofs

It was really really dark though. So maybe not

PostPosted: Tue November 29, 2022 9:46 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Started listening to the latest ForceCenter Podcast episode. It's a season review of/thoughts on Andor. So far it's really great and really speaks to my experience with the show and the discourse surrounding the show. My favorite part so far is this quote from Brian Ward: "Andor is Star Wars for fans who are embarrassed to be Star Wars fans."

That seems dead on to me. And I say that as a proud Star Wars fan who also loves Andor.

PostPosted: Tue November 29, 2022 10:25 pm 

Well that’s a cop out. And unusual from him given he’s been a major figure in Star Wars podcasting and writing the past 7 years

PostPosted: Tue November 29, 2022 10:29 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

dimejinky99 wrote:
Well that’s a cop out. And unusual from him given he’s been a major figure in Star Wars podcasting and writing the past 7 years

Cop out? How is it a cop out? I feel like that's pretty astute. But maybe my experience with fans and fan discourse surrounding this show has been different from others.

PostPosted: Tue November 29, 2022 10:30 pm 
The Master

I disagree with that. Andor is a show for SW fans who have grown up to expect nuanced characters, good dialogue, compelling action, and worthwhile stakes in their favorite stories.

PostPosted: Tue November 29, 2022 10:31 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Monkey_Driven wrote:
I disagree with that. Andor is a show for SW fans who have grown up to expect nuanced characters, good dialogue, compelling action, and worthwhile stakes in their favorite stories.

Thanks for proving my point.

PostPosted: Tue November 29, 2022 10:36 pm 
The Master

epilogue wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:

:roll:

I don't have the full context of the podcast, but the quote you provided certainly doesn't describe me. I've never been "embarrassed" to be a SW fan.

PostPosted: Tue November 29, 2022 10:37 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Monkey_Driven wrote:
epilogue wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:

I don't have the full context of the podcast, but the quote you provided certainly doesn't describe me. I've never been "embarrassed" to be a SW fan.

Ok. Great. Then Brian wasn't talking about you. And neither am I.

PostPosted: Tue November 29, 2022 10:45 pm 
The Master

epilogue wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
epilogue wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:

:?

PostPosted: Tue November 29, 2022 10:47 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Monkey_Driven wrote:
epilogue wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
epilogue wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:

What's confusing for you? How can I help?

PostPosted: Tue November 29, 2022 10:53 pm 
The Master

epilogue wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
epilogue wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
epilogue wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:

Just trying to understand the hostility towards Dime and I's disagreement with Brian's quote. It's an awfully reductive way of summarizing why Andor is being so positively received by SW fans. Once again though, I don't have the full context of the entire podcast.

PostPosted: Tue November 29, 2022 11:15 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Monkey_Driven wrote:
epilogue wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
epilogue wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
epilogue wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:

Just trying to understand the hostility towards Dime and I's disagreement with Brian's quote. It's an awfully reductive way of summarizing why Andor is being so positively received by SW fans. Once again though, I don't have the full context of the entire podcast.

Hostility? I'm sorry if you've perceived anything I've said here with hostility. It's honestly weird to me that you would take that away from anything I've said. But if that's the case, I'm really sorry. I meant no hostility. I guess I need to watch that in the future.

Beyond that, I also said that I'm a huge, unembarrassed Star Wars who loved Andor. Just like you. So obviously what I said (what Brian said) isn't directed at everyone.

Further, to my knowledge, neither of you have listened to the pod. As you've pointed out. "I haven't heard it but I disagree!" feels a little odd to me. But I understand where y'all are coming from. I get it. I'm only talking about my experience. And frankly, that experience extends to RM. And even some things you have said -- as far as it relates to the overall podcast point being made -- "ranking Kenobi that high should be a bannable offense" and similar.

I stand by my initial post quoting Brian. It still feels true to me. Even though I'm also someone who loved Andor -- because he isn't talking about everyone, we all have different experiences. Again, the discussion is about the overall discourse, how generally people want to pit Andor against other Star Wars. How people are acting like this is some revolutionary show, like these themes and ideas aren't inherent in Star Wars over time.

All that to say, there are plenty of valid reasons to hold Andor in esteem. And plenty of valid discussions to be had about the things lacking in other Star Wars shows/movies. That should go without saying, but you never know. It's about a larger discourse and a larger need to put things down, to hurt some stories at the expense of others. And that's the thing I'm most interested in exploring in my own discussions.

PostPosted: Wed November 30, 2022 12:30 am 

I listen to Force center regularly. Haven’t heard this episode yet.

But it is a bizarre coming from ward. Champion of the prequels when nobody liked them. Then champion of attack of the clones when people said that was their least favourite.

He’s just really not a good guide in this stuff. He flirts with being contrary for clicks basically.

Grand if you agree with him. But he’ll have another opposing opinion next week. And the week after.

PostPosted: Wed November 30, 2022 2:09 am 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

I shouldn't have presented this conversation out of context. That's on me.

I would just encourage folks to listen to this podcast episode of you're interested in understanding my personal relationship with Star Wars (where I'm coming from in all of this talks and why I get salty about the discourse) and moreso how some of us have experienced the discourse around Andor, as brilliant as it is.

PostPosted: Wed November 30, 2022 3:59 am 
Future Drummer

might need to right click to show controls and turn on/up volume.

PostPosted: Wed November 30, 2022 5:12 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

epilogue wrote:
Started listening to the latest ForceCenter Podcast episode. It's a season review of/thoughts on Andor. So far it's really great and really speaks to my experience with the show and the discourse surrounding the show. My favorite part so far is this quote from Brian Ward: "Andor is Star Wars for fans who are embarrassed to be Star Wars fans."

That seems dead on to me. And I say that as a proud Star Wars fan who also loves Andor.

I have no problem seeing the context behind that quote. We are talking nuance here, but Andor is a more adult oriented show than a lot of other Star Wars out there, it’s also very low on the use of aliens, and has no openly jedi/sith stuff (yet). If you enjoyed the OT as a kid, and you’ve felt out of touch with the new material, Andor could be the exact thing you are looking for. A mature well executed drama, with some action, and nothing weird or extravagant.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 804 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 ... 41  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment » Star Wars