The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Live

Post subject: Three Specific Questions
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 2:55 pm 
Banned from the Pit

I posted here because my questions are about live performances. I registered here at the forum a month ago and donated $6. It’s not much but I hope it helps. I searched the forum but I was unable to find any answers to my questions. My questions are probably just too specific. Here are my questions:

Question #1 On live performances of State Of Love And Trust, I have only heard recordings of the band playing it fast. Does anyone know if Pearl Jam ever played a live version that is slowed-down like the 1991 demo version, which is a bonus track on the 2009 Ten Remaster release?

Question #2 I acquired a live performance of In My Tree from a YouTube video. To my ears, the song was played very different from the normal way it’s played. I love this live performance and I am very grateful that I have an audio file of it. But neither the YouTube video nor any comments mention the date of this performance. Does anyone know the date of the performance that is on this video? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnmsZRbbTQc

Question #3 Is anyone willing to help me acquire a quality MP3 of a live version of Eddie Vedder performing Long Nights. According to the pearljam.com song webpage, Eddie has performed it 12 times between 2014 and 2019.

Post subject: Re: Three Specific Questions
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 3:24 pm 
I Have A Third Nipple

For #2, that sounds like a 2003 version. Maybe Fargo?

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 3:25 pm 
I Have A Third Nipple

Simple Torture wrote:

Yeah, it's Fargo:

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 5:17 pm 
Banned from the Pit

Simple Torture wrote:
Simple Torture wrote:

Yeah, it's Fargo:

Yes, that is it. Thank you so much for your help. I sincerely appreciate your quick reply. I just purchased the digital download from the iTunes Store and I'm pretty happy that I now know the date of that performance.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 5:36 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

I really like your approach here

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 6:39 pm 
Future Drummer

i’ve always wondered if that fargo version was a truly spontaneous thing that they turned into a new arrangement or if they had been messing around with that arrangement a little bit prior to the show, since that pretty much became the way they played the song for the next few years. ed’s ‘we’re just gonna play the part we remember’ and ‘that was a detour’ doesn’t really help answer that question either.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 7:10 pm 
Future Drummer

I loathe that 2003-2005 arrangement of "In My Tree". It made me furious at the time and it's still an instant skip now. You don't mess with perfection. WTF!

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 7:13 pm 
Future Drummer

Wendy Carlos's Twin wrote:
I loathe that 2003-2005 arrangement of "In My Tree". It made me furious at the time and it's still an instant skip now. You don't mess with perfection. WTF!

*plays boom solo*

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 12:56 pm 
tl;dr

Your best bet for Question #1 would be to seek out some audience tapes from '91 -- here's a show from before Ten was even released, with "State" being played at a much more moderate pace than in later years.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=b46zX4js0-c

Not sure if any of the better quality boards from that era have versions at a similar pace, but odds are anything from the official bootleg era will be pretty "up" in the tempo department, just because that's how pretty much all of their songs seemed to evolve over time. Unless there's a slower version from one of these recent shows with the rent-a-drummers.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 2:22 pm 
Broken Tamborine

For #3, the soundboard version of the date below was broadcasted by PJ Radio and it contains Long Night. So this is probably the best quality we can get:

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/eddie-ve ... d4705.html

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 9:10 am 
Banned from the Pit

Kevin Davis wrote:
Your best bet for Question #1 would be to seek out some audience tapes from '91 -- here's a show from before Ten was even released, with "State" being played at a much more moderate pace than in later years.

Not sure if any of the better quality boards from that era have versions at a similar pace, but odds are anything from the official bootleg era will be pretty "up" in the tempo department, just because that's how pretty much all of their songs seemed to evolve over time. Unless there's a slower version from one of these recent shows with the rent-a-drummers.

Yeah, that YouTube video does show that they played State Of Love And Trust slower. It was similar with many other performances from 1991, which I researched tonight using YouTube and pearljambootlegs.org. Thank you for your valuable feedback. I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to help me.

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 4:12 pm 
A Return To Form

dagobah wrote:
Kevin Davis wrote:

Yeah, that YouTube video does show that they played State Of Love And Trust slower. It was similar with many other performances from 1991, which I researched tonight using YouTube and pearljambootlegs.org. Thank you for your valuable feedback. I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to help me.

I think the version from the 1991-07-10 Boston show (which surfaced in 2018, it is not available on pearljambootlegs.org) is the closest to the slow SoLaT demo. As per setlist.fm, it was played for the third documented time (after two shows in February and May 1991), here with Matt Chamberlain for his second PJ show.
The song gets a little sped up during the next July '91 shows, before Dave A joins the band.

https://pearljamfm.com/july-10-1991-citi-boston-ma/

PostPosted: Sat June 25, 2022 8:41 am 
Rank This Poster
 WWW  Profile

dagobah wrote:
Question #1 On live performances of State Of Love And Trust, I have only heard recordings of the band playing it fast. Does anyone know if Pearl Jam ever played a live version that is slowed-down like the 1991 demo version, which is a bonus track on the 2009 Ten Remaster release?

This was always my fav version, pretty slow n groovy (1:09:00 into the vid):

PostPosted: Tue June 28, 2022 9:42 am 
A Return To Form

No momentum!

WtOB? wrote:
dagobah wrote:

Yes!! Jack on the kit and it grooves. free of suggestion, free of suggestion maybe in the bridge. Prime PJ recording here.

PostPosted: Tue July 12, 2022 2:57 pm 
Banned from the Pit

WtOB? wrote:

Thank you very much for posting that video. It's a great recording. And thanks for pointing out exactly what part of the video has State Of Love And Trust.

PostPosted: Wed July 13, 2022 1:22 am 
Future Drummer

dagobah wrote:
Thank you very much for posting that video. It's a great recording. And thanks for pointing out exactly what part of the video has State Of Love And Trust.

I like the version from 1995 which is on this comp:

http://forums.theskyiscrape.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=15525

PostPosted: Wed July 13, 2022 9:43 am 
Banned from the Pit

I like the version from 1995 which is on this comp:
http://forums.theskyiscrape.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=15525

Wow, I was unaware of that. Thank you for posting the link.

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Live