The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Live




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 816 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38 ... 41  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: 2018-09-02: Boston, Massachusetts
PostPosted: Tue September 11, 2018 10:14 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Mind Your Tanners
 Profile

Joined: Sun September 15, 2013 5:50 am
Posts: 9754
NAIS, Of The Earth, and Parting Ways all could be made staples of the encore instead of covers and all would rejoice

_________________
Pollster Rights for All


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: 2018-09-02: Boston, Massachusetts
PostPosted: Tue September 11, 2018 10:23 pm 
Offline
Rank This Poster
 Profile

Joined: Wed April 20, 2016 7:11 pm
Posts: 4550
96583UP wrote:
NAIS, Of The Earth, and Parting Ways all could be made staples of the encore instead of covers and all would rejoice


True. This would be amazing:

Encore 1:
(ed solo song)
(some butt rocker song)
Parting Ways
NAIS
OTE
...
...

_________________
Kaius wrote:
I really hope we get this figured out soon


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: 2018-09-02: Boston, Massachusetts
PostPosted: Tue September 11, 2018 10:25 pm 
Offline
User avatar
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 9:38 pm
Posts: 11864
I think one of the strengths of the 1998/2000 setlists is that they were relatively limited in scope (or, if you prefer, more focused); they didn't play Glorified G, or Deep, or Blood, or Why Go, etc.

I like the "standard" songs and setlist construction. They play Alive, RITFW and Yellow Ledbetter at the end of the show because they work really well in that context; same for Porch or RVM to close out a main set/encore.

It would be a mistake to think that introducing even more setlist variety (both in songs and overall construction) would be an improvement, I think they've already taken it too far (see Evil Little Goat, Out of My Mind, etc.)

I hate all the covers though (not including RITFW, Baba and Fuckin' Up) - ditch them all.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: 2018-09-02: Boston, Massachusetts
PostPosted: Tue September 11, 2018 10:51 pm 
Offline
Banned from the Pit
 Profile

Joined: Tue August 28, 2018 10:50 pm
Posts: 5
mikejasond wrote:
Captain Termite wrote:
They haven't exactly exhausted the material - they just gave up on 2/3 of each of the last three albums almost immediately.

Do we want to hear Marker In the Sand, The End, and My Father's Son instead of Once, Elderly Woman, and Immortality? Probably?


....No?

But yeah the Encore 2's REALLY need shaking it up. Can they find more classic rock covers to play besides Baba and RITFW? If they're gonna do em pick some new ones Im so sick of those same songs. I'm sick of Alive, Rockin, Baba, Indifference, YL, Comfortably Numb, Fuckin Up....ALWAYS being the last songs. ALWAYS. Maybe a betterman thrown in.

Like...seriously....put some new songs in that spot. And maybe move those other songs somewhere else in the set? Have they ever played YL somewhere besides the end of their shows? Why not move it?



Totally agree. Encore 2 is painful. It's basically been the same blueprint since 2008. I was shocked when something interesting (Outta my mind) was played in Boston in Encore 2. Is it a great song? No, but at least it wasn't the same 5-7 songs they've been shuffling in that spot for a decade.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: 2018-09-02: Boston, Massachusetts
PostPosted: Tue September 11, 2018 10:55 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 3:48 pm
Posts: 36383
Location: Mountains
Encore 2
Get Right
Breakerfall
Insignificance
Betterman
RVM



BYE


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: 2018-09-02: Boston, Massachusetts
PostPosted: Tue September 11, 2018 11:05 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Posting (live)
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 11:15 pm
Posts: 18224
Location: Seattle, WA
i want to be at a show where they end with "Go"

End song. Lights on. Band gone.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: 2018-09-02: Boston, Massachusetts
PostPosted: Wed September 12, 2018 12:26 am 
Offline
User avatar
Mind Your Tanners
 Profile

Joined: Sun September 15, 2013 5:50 am
Posts: 9754
they should play a reverse show

open with YL

then into RITFW, Alive, Black, etc

then by the time they close with three slow songs in a row everyone will have left

_________________
Pollster Rights for All


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: 2018-09-02: Boston, Massachusetts
PostPosted: Wed September 12, 2018 12:34 am 
Offline
User avatar
Posting (live)
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 11:15 pm
Posts: 18224
Location: Seattle, WA
96583UP wrote:
they should play a reverse show

open with YL

then into RITFW, Alive, Black, etc

then by the time they close with three slow songs in a row everyone will have left


if they played Pry, To ... would Ed sing, "Pete Townsend oh how you saaaaved my life" ?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: 2018-09-02: Boston, Massachusetts
PostPosted: Wed September 12, 2018 12:37 am 
Offline
User avatar
Mind Your Tanners
 Profile

Joined: Sun September 15, 2013 5:50 am
Posts: 9754
r-e-s-e-a-r-ch-it's-just-re-search, man

_________________
Pollster Rights for All


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: 2018-09-02: Boston, Massachusetts
PostPosted: Wed September 12, 2018 12:24 pm 
Offline
User avatar
NEVER STOP JAMMING!
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 12:35 am
Posts: 22421
bodysnatcher wrote:
i want to be at a show where they end with "Go"

End song. Lights on. Band gone.



You need the Dublin 2000 boot. Main set ended with Go and it had a weird dark jam at the end of the song.

_________________
durdencommatyler wrote:
dimejinky-the Han Solo of RM.


Last edited by dimejinky99 on Wed September 12, 2018 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 
 Post subject: Re: 2018-09-02: Boston, Massachusetts
PostPosted: Wed September 12, 2018 2:43 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Mon July 08, 2013 11:12 pm
Posts: 2649
The thing to me also is like...Porch and RVM are not on the album the way they play them live. They invented a new live version of these songs to fill that spot. Why can't they reinvent some of their other songs? Try something fresh and new to make it fit?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: 2018-09-02: Boston, Massachusetts
PostPosted: Wed September 12, 2018 2:47 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Mind Your Tanners
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 6:44 pm
Posts: 8424
Location: Franklin, MA
mikejasond wrote:
The thing to me also is like...Porch and RVM are not on the album the way they play them live. They invented a new live version of these songs to fill that spot. Why can't they reinvent some of their other songs? Try something fresh and new to make it fit?


I actually agree with this, would like to see some new songs get stretched out with a jam.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: 2018-09-02: Boston, Massachusetts
PostPosted: Wed September 12, 2018 3:31 pm 
Offline
Rank This Poster
 Profile

Joined: Wed April 20, 2016 7:11 pm
Posts: 4550
numbers wrote:
mikejasond wrote:
The thing to me also is like...Porch and RVM are not on the album the way they play them live. They invented a new live version of these songs to fill that spot. Why can't they reinvent some of their other songs? Try something fresh and new to make it fit?


I actually agree with this, would like to see some new songs get stretched out with a jam.


They seem to be trying pretty hard to do this with LB.

_________________
Kaius wrote:
I really hope we get this figured out soon


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: 2018-09-02: Boston, Massachusetts
PostPosted: Wed September 12, 2018 3:53 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 2:04 pm
Posts: 51832
Location: Sector 7-G
Birds in Hell wrote:
I think one of the strengths of the 1998/2000 setlists is that they were relatively limited in scope (or, if you prefer, more focused); they didn't play Glorified G, or Deep, or Blood, or Why Go, etc.

I like the "standard" songs and setlist construction. They play Alive, RITFW and Yellow Ledbetter at the end of the show because they work really well in that context; same for Porch or RVM to close out a main set/encore.

It would be a mistake to think that introducing even more setlist variety (both in songs and overall construction) would be an improvement, I think they've already taken it too far (see Evil Little Goat, Out of My Mind, etc.)

I hate all the covers though (not including RITFW, Baba and Fuckin' Up) - ditch them all.

Spenno gets it.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: 2018-09-02: Boston, Massachusetts
PostPosted: Wed September 12, 2018 7:44 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Mon July 08, 2013 11:12 pm
Posts: 2649
Bi_3 wrote:
numbers wrote:
mikejasond wrote:
The thing to me also is like...Porch and RVM are not on the album the way they play them live. They invented a new live version of these songs to fill that spot. Why can't they reinvent some of their other songs? Try something fresh and new to make it fit?


I actually agree with this, would like to see some new songs get stretched out with a jam.


They seem to be trying pretty hard to do this with LB.


IMO LB is great live. I did also notice at Fenway 1 they added a guitar solo and jam before the bridge of Corduroy .That was weird to me. I guess they're doing what I just said but that one didn't work for me.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: 2018-09-02: Boston, Massachusetts
PostPosted: Wed September 12, 2018 9:01 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Mind Your Tanners
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 6:44 pm
Posts: 8424
Location: Franklin, MA
Corduroy doesn’t work because the part they change is the part that makes the song so great. I wouldn’t mind seeing them try to stretch out Hail Hail a la RVM.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: 2018-09-02: Boston, Massachusetts
PostPosted: Wed September 12, 2018 9:29 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 3:48 pm
Posts: 36383
Location: Mountains
they should just write new songs that are amazing so they dont have to tinker with their old songs that they must be bored to death of.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: 2018-09-02: Boston, Massachusetts
PostPosted: Wed September 12, 2018 9:52 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Mon July 08, 2013 11:12 pm
Posts: 2649
numbers wrote:
Corduroy doesn’t work because the part they change is the part that makes the song so great. I wouldn’t mind seeing them try to stretch out Hail Hail a la RVM.


Yes I agree with this. They're changing and butchering literally the best part and emotional climax of the song. Over the years he's changed it more and more, first changing the melody (even though he can't sing 90% of the catalog anyways no idea why THIS is the one line he decides he doesn't want to try anymore), adding a singalong of YEAH YEAH YEAHs, and then adding a jam and guitar solo.....

The section they're changing is one of the best parts of their catalog.

I think Immortality could get stretched and be cool maybe. I wouldn't mind spending more time in the best part of that song.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: 2018-09-02: Boston, Massachusetts
PostPosted: Wed September 12, 2018 9:52 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Mon July 08, 2013 11:12 pm
Posts: 2649
numbers wrote:
Corduroy doesn’t work because the part they change is the part that makes the song so great. I wouldn’t mind seeing them try to stretch out Hail Hail a la RVM.


Yes I agree with this. They're changing and butchering literally the best part and emotional climax of the song. Over the years he's changed it more and more, first changing the melody (even though he can't sing 90% of the catalog anyways no idea why THIS is the one line he decides he doesn't want to try anymore), adding a singalong of YEAH YEAH YEAHs, and then adding a jam and guitar solo.....

The section they're changing is one of the best parts of their catalog.

I think Immortality could get stretched and be cool maybe. I wouldn't mind spending more time in the best part of that song.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: 2018-09-02: Boston, Massachusetts
PostPosted: Wed September 12, 2018 9:52 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Mon July 08, 2013 11:12 pm
Posts: 2649
oops posted twice :(


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 816 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38 ... 41  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Live


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
It is currently Sat November 17, 2018 1:07 am