The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Live

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 385 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2018-08-20: Chicago, Illinois
PostPosted: Tue August 21, 2018 8:05 pm 
10Club Complaint Department

bodysnatcher wrote:
maybe they're applying the "too much of a good thing is a bad thing" philosophy for In My Tree

and they're testing the idea of "too much of a bad thing is a good thing" for Mind Your Manners?

or maybe - just maybe - the band doesn't give a shit.

Last edited by dad on Tue August 21, 2018 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue August 21, 2018 8:06 pm 
The Master

evenslow wrote:
RAG319 wrote:
Hi guys! First time poster here. Well...sort of...I posted here A LOT back in like 2000-2004. Then I stopped, and fuck if I know what my old login info was.

Anyway, I wanted to give my impressions of last night's Wrigley show seeing how I am what one might consider a "lapsed" Pearl Jam fan. Basically between 2000-2008 I was a 10C member and saw them 12 times including traveling to see the band on multiple occasions, was essentially a Pearl Jam fanatic, still have an unopened Benorya Hall vinyl in my closet. But around 2009, my interest in the band just completely fell off. I didn't care for their new music, I let my 10C membership lapse, and I found more (often local - I'm in Chicago) modern music that I enjoyed more, and life went on.

Fast forward to a couple of weeks ago, I got a text from an old concert buddy asking if I was going to see them at Wrigley this year. In 2016, he came to Chicago for Wrigley and he went to the show and I just met him for a few beers at the Cubby bear before heading home. Just wasn't interested. But maybe it's cause I'm more keen for a nostalgia trip these days or just interest seeing how I missed the Chicago Smashing Pumpkins shows because of work, but I said fuck it, and bought a ticket to last nights show. Solo, even.

I saw the Saturday set, and was very impressed. They played a lot of stuff I'd been very happy to see. So, I started digging into some old PJ boots, watching Let's Play Two!, rewatched Pearl Jam 20, and got myself psyched for the show.

So, what are my impressions of my first real Pearl Jam show in 10 years?

It was very solid. Ed's voice sounds amazing. Like really, no idea how he manages that at his age. They were quite sloppy at times, though. Sloppier than they appeared on the videos I saw of Saturday's show. Maybe it was the rain. Eddie came out with the wine, so he, like I did, probably took the weather delay to drink up. Like many have said, he stumbled over a lot of lyrics, sang lyrics at the wrong time, or missed a few cues. I think the whole band fucked up In My Tree. The first chord hit after the intro was REALLY fucked. I saw Ed jolt over in Stone's direction and give a look like, "What the fuck happens now?" They recovered nicely, though. The opening five songs were fucking fire, though. I wish they kept that pace through the entire show. I'm honestly not familiar with much post-Avocado, but MYM and Lightening Bolt were both pretty good live. Still too many covers, though. And I get this was a sort of special show, but my favorite record of theirs is Binaural, so I would have loved to hear at least one from that record.

But at least they seemed to still be having fun. I'll probably check them out again if they come back, but please play United Center. Summer Chicago weather is such a shitshow. Still, I think Saturday would have been a better time for me from a set perspective, but it's all fine.

Last night probably wouldn't be anywhere in my top shows, though. My top two are Borgata I in 2005 and Vic in 2006. Nothing beats seeing PJ in a small venue. I was extremely lucky to be able to attend those.

:thumbsup:

PostPosted: Tue August 21, 2018 8:09 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Strat wrote:
bodysnatcher wrote:
dad wrote:
I followed last night on livefootsteps, and I have to say it's disappointing knowing they've played Mind Your Manners more times in their career than they've played In My Tree.

FFS. WTF? F!

Its true. In my tree has been played 92 times whereas MYM has been played 110

MYM is the lead single for an album they’ve been touring for 5 years. IMT is a song we all like.

PostPosted: Tue August 21, 2018 8:10 pm 
A Return To Form

If anyone is curious, here's a video of In My Tree from last night. After the intro sounds like they went into the beginning of Why Go or something? What the fuck happened?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKd8SnZ6Pkc

PostPosted: Tue August 21, 2018 8:13 pm 
Future Drummer

Bi_3 wrote:
Strat wrote:
bodysnatcher wrote:
dad wrote:
I followed last night on livefootsteps, and I have to say it's disappointing knowing they've played Mind Your Manners more times in their career than they've played In My Tree.

FFS. WTF? F!

Its true. In my tree has been played 92 times whereas MYM has been played 110

MYM is the lead single for an album they’ve been touring for 5 years. IMT is a song we all like.

I hate IMT but I hate MYM 20x more. Why they put this into regular rotation BAFFLES ME

PostPosted: Tue August 21, 2018 8:18 pm 
The Master

RAG319 wrote:
If anyone is curious, here's a video of In My Tree from last night. After the intro sounds like they went into the beginning of Why Go or something? What the fuck happened?

jhard to tell from that video. its either the jamily screaming and making noises, or mike mccready doing something weird on his guitar. But nothing is really that out of place here?

PostPosted: Tue August 21, 2018 8:20 pm 
A Return To Form

Strat wrote:
RAG319 wrote:

jhard to tell from that video. its either the jamily screaming and making noises, or mike mccready doing something weird on his guitar. But nothing is really that out of place here?

Sounds weirder than I have ever heard, and by that I mean sounds like someone was playing a different song. Also, notice Ed running over to Stone. Perhaps Stone fucked up, and that's why the two weren't getting along last night.

PostPosted: Tue August 21, 2018 8:38 pm 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

RAG319 wrote:
Strat wrote:
RAG319 wrote:

Sounds weirder than I have ever heard, and by that I mean sounds like someone was playing a different song. Also, notice Ed running over to Stone. Perhaps Stone fucked up, and that's why the two weren't getting along last night.

really?

PostPosted: Tue August 21, 2018 8:39 pm 

RAG319 wrote:
Strat wrote:
RAG319 wrote:

it's always been Stone's fault.

PostPosted: Tue August 21, 2018 8:47 pm 
A Return To Form

BDB wrote:
RAG319 wrote:
Strat wrote:
RAG319 wrote:

really?

Yeah, that was the big story from last night's show (kidding, of course). Stone said fuck it and left the stage before the group photo op at the very end.

PostPosted: Tue August 21, 2018 8:51 pm 
for those who
are not...shall be

For those who enjoy a fuller, more robust "cover" ;) 8-)

https://youtu.be/rs88iWrj5BQ

PostPosted: Tue August 21, 2018 9:03 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

RAG319 wrote:
BDB wrote:
RAG319 wrote:
Strat wrote:
RAG319 wrote:

really?

Yeah, that was the big story from last night's show (kidding, of course). Stone said fuck it and left the stage before the group photo op at the very end.

This is why we suspect Fenway 2 will be the final Pearl Jam show

PostPosted: Tue August 21, 2018 9:09 pm 
for those who
are not...shall be

I'll bet you balki enjoyed these shows.

Sorry so many *ussies wept

some out loud , right here

PostPosted: Tue August 21, 2018 9:09 pm 
The Master

Bi_3 wrote:
RAG319 wrote:
BDB wrote:
RAG319 wrote:
Strat wrote:
RAG319 wrote:

really?

:(

PostPosted: Tue August 21, 2018 9:17 pm 

BDB wrote:
RAG319 wrote:
Strat wrote:
RAG319 wrote:

really?

I think Matt either fucked up, or decided to play it differently, because he goes right into playing on the ride cymbal after the rest of the band come in, when normally he would keep playing the rolling toms like the intro with a few cymbal accents.

Anyway, bring back Jack Irons.

PostPosted: Tue August 21, 2018 9:18 pm 
The Master

Birds in Hell wrote:
BDB wrote:
RAG319 wrote:
Strat wrote:
RAG319 wrote:

really?

I think Matt either fucked up, or decided to play it differently, because he goes right into playing on the ride cymbal after the rest of the band come in, when normally he would keep playing the rolling toms intro with a few cymbal accents.

Anyway, bring back Jack Irons.

Shut up. Matt is just far too advanced of a player for the group.

lol

PostPosted: Tue August 21, 2018 9:30 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

evenslow wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:
When we got back on the field There was a young woman two rows behind me who has going fucking nuts dancing during U, clearly having an amazing night, so there were definitely peeps loving it.

Hahaha she was the absolute worst!! She was right next to me at first and kept fucking jumping on my feet and knocking into me. Absolutely ruined the first part of the show for me. Didn't think I could find the worst Pearl Jam fan you know dude-bro meathead in a woman's body but here we are.

I thought she was hot, we should’ve switched seats.

PostPosted: Tue August 21, 2018 9:42 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Bi_3 wrote:
RAG319 wrote:
BDB wrote:
RAG319 wrote:
Strat wrote:
RAG319 wrote:

really?

so wait, what's the full story here?

PostPosted: Tue August 21, 2018 9:44 pm 
I Have A Third Nipple

bodysnatcher wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:
RAG319 wrote:
BDB wrote:
RAG319 wrote:
Strat wrote:
RAG319 wrote:

really?

Plot twist: Fenway 1 will be the final show.

PostPosted: Tue August 21, 2018 9:44 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Simple Torture wrote:
bodysnatcher wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:
RAG319 wrote:
BDB wrote:
RAG319 wrote:
Strat wrote:
RAG319 wrote:

really?

Plot twist: Fenway 1 will be the final show.

it's nothing.

i found a video of the end of the show.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 385 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Live