The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Live

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 482 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2018-08-08: Seattle, Washington
PostPosted: Thu August 09, 2018 6:22 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

another favorite moment from the wife: "At least they aren't playing hundreds of surfing songs. I guess singing about your hawaiian vacations wouldn't land well considering the purpose of these shows."

PostPosted: Thu August 09, 2018 6:23 pm 
The Master

bodysnatcher wrote:
another favorite moment from the wife: "At least they aren't playing hundreds of surfing songs. I guess singing about your hawaiian vacations wouldn't land well considering the purpose of these shows."

:haha:

PostPosted: Thu August 09, 2018 6:30 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

the couple next to us flew in from North Carolina. they went straight to the merch stand with their suitcases, and were there for 4 hours.

i could see the merch line on the bus on my way into the stadium around 4:00. it was probably still 4 hours long. then there were merch stands all inside the stadium. there were 2 on the field, on both sides of the stage. we were on Stone's side, and people were in the merch line for over an hour DURING the show.

i don't get it.

PostPosted: Thu August 09, 2018 6:31 pm 
The Master

i love your wife

That cover of we're gonna be friends was actually quite lovely.

PostPosted: Thu August 09, 2018 6:31 pm 
The Master

I'm kind of hoping the MT posters are crappy just so I can skip all that.

PostPosted: Thu August 09, 2018 6:57 pm 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

Quote:
i could see the merch line on the bus on my way into the stadium around 4:00. it was probably still 4 hours long. then there were merch stands all inside the stadium. there were 2 on the field, on both sides of the stage. we were on Stone's side, and people were in the merch line for over an hour DURING the show.

i don't get it.
I don't get it either.

Maybe they should just open giant (I mean giant) merchandise stores outside the venue. So people can buy to their heart's content. And then the profit from those sales can defray other expenses and make the ticket prices lower for the rest of us.

PostPosted: Thu August 09, 2018 6:57 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

tragabigzanda wrote:

Just skip it regardless. The sooner you separate yourself from the mindless consumerism, the sooner you can get back to being excited about the music.

PostPosted: Thu August 09, 2018 7:00 pm 
The Master

Bi_3 wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:

Just skip it regardless. The sooner you separate yourself from the mindless consumerism, the sooner you can get back to being excited about the music.

Yea ive never waited in line for any merch whatsoever. What a silly thing to do. That is precious pre game drinking time!

PostPosted: Thu August 09, 2018 7:11 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

I like to grab a T-shirt at concerts but I won’t wait in a line for longer than 20 minutes.

PostPosted: Thu August 09, 2018 7:13 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Thoughts on last night:

For my tastes, you could not make a better opening 7 song stretch, but starting with TYHD and through the rest of the main set it felt like Pearl Jam on shuffle. No flow, no sense of coherence in what they were doing and too many songs the crowd didn’t know. First encore was great and the Stripes cover and dance with the teachers was awesome. NAIS was awesome, I could hear it every show. Again today sounded much better live than the studio version even if Brandi didn’t get a chance to sing. Hint PJ: She would be awesome singing Crazy Mary. The second encore was fine, best IGAF of the 3 I’ve heard, but the final 3 songs should be cut. Ending with Alive would been fitting

PostPosted: Thu August 09, 2018 7:16 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Captain Termite wrote:
Quote:

i don't get it.
I don't get it either.

Maybe they should just open giant (I mean giant) merchandise stores outside the venue. So people can buy to their heart's content. And then the profit from those sales can defray other expenses and make the ticket prices lower for the rest of us.

that's what they have outside Safeco, unless you mean bigger

the couple next to us at the show last night said the person in front of them spent $2400. and just had full bags of stuff. wtf?

PostPosted: Thu August 09, 2018 7:17 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Bi_3 wrote:
Hint PJ: She would be awesome singing Crazy Mary.

:shock: genius

PostPosted: Thu August 09, 2018 7:18 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Bi_3 wrote:
Thoughts on last night:

For my tastes, you could not make a better opening 7 song stretch, but starting with TYHD and through the rest of the main set it felt like Pearl Jam on shuffle. No flow, no sense of coherence in what they were doing and too many songs the crowd didn’t know. First encore was great and the Stripes cover and dance with the teachers was awesome. NAIS was awesome, I could hear it every show. Again today sounded much better live than the studio version even if Brandi didn’t get a chance to sing. Hint PJ: She would be awesome singing Crazy Mary. The second encore was fine, best IGAF of the 3 I’ve heard, but the final 3 songs should be cut. Ending with Alive would been fitting

agreed about the second encore. i get what they are doing, but man, it's the same every show. when Betterman started in the second encore, the wife says, "So this is when it gets basic?"

yup.

PostPosted: Thu August 09, 2018 7:20 pm 
The Master

bodysnatcher wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:
Thoughts on last night:

agreed about the second encore. i get what they are doing, but man, it's the same every show. when Betterman started in the second encore, the wife says, "So this is when it gets basic?"

yup.

This is the thing that annoys me the most. Man, the encores used to be the best part of a pearl jam show. Would be completely unique and a surprise every time. "oh my god what will they do tonight?!"

They found a formula that works for the arena tours and now thats it.

PostPosted: Thu August 09, 2018 7:22 pm 
Rank This Poster

This show was fine.

I will never do GA at one of these things again. It was exactly like Wrigley 1. Way too oversold and way too many douchebags. One guy right in front of me went down during the first song. He was all fucked up. A group of guys behind me never shut up. My favorite tho - during the entirety of All Those Yesterdays, a woman was on her knees scanning the ground with her cell light. Why? She dropped her fucking mushroom. Ugh!

9 covers is way too many, but the White Stripes song with the teachers and the Brandi Carlile song were two of my favorite parts of the show. I’ve seen her perform in a small room many years ago. She’s a great talent. You wouldn’t have been able to tell from last night, but it was because she was star struck. I found it endearing.

Watching Ed tell the Even Flow story was touching. He is rubbing his hand the whole time without knowing it, and you could tell he wasn’t bullshitting. As was mentioned by others, he was super chatty, and I enjoy that. He was in a great mood.

The set itself was strange. Lots of good songs, but there was never a sense of flow. Playing Lowlight and Elderly after the Long Road/Release combo (there can’t be a better 1-2 opener) was a bad idea. The crowd was ready to go off. I don’t understand why Let Me Sleep was played. It’s August. Also, it was played last time they played Seattle, so anyone who might have appreciated a rare track probably got that for the second time instead of something cool like Otherside.

The band was strangely not in sync. They seemed like a fine-tuned machine in Barcelona. Multiple times it looked like McCready was surprised the song was ending.

Go’s false start was all on Ed, but Christ, it sounded huge!

So it was fine. Decent show. I’m thinking Friday will crush it, though.

PostPosted: Thu August 09, 2018 7:24 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Strat wrote:
bodysnatcher wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:
Thoughts on last night:

yup.

This is the thing that annoys me the most. Man, the encores used to be the best part of a pearl jam show. Would be completely unique and a surprise every time. "oh my god what will they do tonight?!"

They found a formula that works for the arena tours and now thats it.

yep. throwing in I Got A Feeling was super cool – i'd never heard that live before! but the rest is just eh. we left the field when Ledbetter started, and watched the rest from the concourse sidestage so that we could beat the crowd up the stairs. i've heard that long like 30 times live. the coolest part, though, was after the band left the stage, we had direct sight into them walking backstage. Ed and Mike waved to us (about 10 of us up there). they got in golf carts and jetted back to the locker rooms. Jeff and Mike slumped into normal one, exhausted. Ed got his own nice looking, sleek black cart. what a primadonna :haha:

PostPosted: Thu August 09, 2018 7:27 pm 
The Master

daft twat wrote:
This show was fine.

I will never do GA at one of these things again. It was exactly like Wrigley 1. Way too oversold and way too many douchebags. One guy right in front of me went down during the first song. He was all fucked up. A group of guys behind me never shut up. My favorite tho - during the entirety of All Those Yesterdays, a woman was on her knees scanning the ground with her cell light. Why? She dropped her fucking mushroom. Ugh!

9 covers is way too many, but the White Stripes song with the teachers and the Brandi Carlile song were two of my favorite parts of the show. I’ve seen her perform in a small room many years ago. She’s a great talent. You wouldn’t have been able to tell from last night, but it was because she was star struck. I found it endearing.

Watching Ed tell the Even Flow story was touching. He is rubbing his hand the whole time without knowing it, and you could tell he wasn’t bullshitting. As was mentioned by others, he was super chatty, and I enjoy that. He was in a great mood.

The set itself was strange. Lots of good songs, but there was never a sense of flow. Playing Lowlight and Elderly after the Long Road/Release combo (there can’t be a better 1-2 opener) was a bad idea. The crowd was ready to go off. I don’t understand why Let Me Sleep was played. It’s August. Also, it was played last time they played Seattle, so anyone who might have appreciated a rare track probably got that for the second time instead of something cool like Otherside.

The band was strangely not in sync. They seemed like a fine-tuned machine in Barcelona. Multiple times it looked like McCready was surprised the song was ending.

So it was fine. Decent show. I’m thinking Friday will crush it, though.

Hmm. I've had nothing but great experiences in GA since this new ticketing policy.

PostPosted: Thu August 09, 2018 7:29 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

daft twat wrote:

On point about the band not being quite in sync. Lots of strange flubs ... Mike even flubbed a few solos here and there, like he got lost in them and couldn't get back to where he wanted to go. He was on the radio last week talking about the shows, and mentioned that the band was really nervous, and wanted to play really well for everyone. I think that the nerves ended up getting them pretty good last night, which is weird to think about considering how many shows they've played. But playing your home town, in front of all your friends and family and your kids, and with $11million of raised charity, puts a different level of pressure on you.

PostPosted: Thu August 09, 2018 7:32 pm 
The Master

bodysnatcher wrote:
daft twat wrote:

On point about the band not being quite in sync. Lots of strange flubs ... Mike even flubbed a few solos here and there, like he got lost in them and couldn't get back to where he wanted to go. He was on the radio last week talking about the shows, and mentioned that the band was really nervous, and wanted to play really well for everyone. I think that the nerves ended up getting them pretty good last night, which is weird to think about considering how many shows they've played. But playing your home town, in front of all your friends and family and your kids, and with $11million of raised charity, puts a different level of pressure on you.

yea im not surprised. These shows were pretty hyped, maybe even moreso than any other show in recent years.

PostPosted: Thu August 09, 2018 7:33 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Strat wrote:
bodysnatcher wrote:
daft twat wrote:

yea im not surprised. These shows were pretty hyped, maybe even moreso than any other show in recent years.

yep. i'd say it was probably on par with the first Wrigley show, in terms of hype and promotion

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 482 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Live