The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Live

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 482 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ... 25  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2018-08-08: Seattle, Washington
PostPosted: Thu August 09, 2018 3:54 pm 
Stone's Bitch

numbers wrote:
CopperTom wrote:
Why do they go into EPJPJE* mode for these stadium shows. It's so disappointing. Just play a regularish set.

* = the Extreme Party Jukebox Pearl Jam Experience

Probably because that’s what the majority of those in attendance want. I have to say, one way I enjoy stadium shows is that the crowd is not your normal PJ psychopath convention.

:haha:

PostPosted: Thu August 09, 2018 3:55 pm 
mXn

My review: As always, McCready tore the roof off the place. Guy is unreal. Nothing else in particular really stood out for me, other than looking around and seeing such a huge crowd. That was something new. Otherwise, your standard fare PJ show which, in my book, is the absolute best way you can possibly spend 3 hours.

The only other show I’ve seen at Safeco was Tom Petty last summer. The audio to the crowd (not on stage) cut out for an entire song and the band didn’t know. They played the entire thing, then had to take a break while the issue was fixed. PJ is so much more in tune with the audience - they would never let something like that happen.

Anyway - some things that happened:
- Ed told the story about how Even Flow was written about a homeless man (also named Eddie) who EV met in Pioneer Square. He disappeared before the song was recorded and so he never knew.
- Ed joked about how Stone grew up in a “gang” and I don’t remember the details but it was pretty funny.
- They brought a couple of local teachers on stage, celebrating teachers. At one point he also talked about how the band has 10 kids among them (9 of which are Matt’s!) and they have a bunch of dogs, too.

That’s all I got right now. The pit was packed pretty tight. The lines to get in the stadium were unbelievably long.

PostPosted: Thu August 09, 2018 3:57 pm 
mXn

Oh wait. Ed made a joke about being “presidential” which was clearly a shot at Trump. It was met with cheers obviously but also a LOT of boos which I was very surprised by in Seattle.

PostPosted: Thu August 09, 2018 3:57 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

Birds in Hell wrote:
evenslow wrote:
I'd much rather hear Comfortably Numb than something like Daughter at this point.

What the hell.

Seriously

PostPosted: Thu August 09, 2018 4:08 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Bammer wrote:
It was met with cheers obviously but also a LOT of boos which I was very surprised by in Seattle.

The boos are probably 10% Trump fans and 90% long time listeners who still piss and moan over hearing politics at a Pearl Jam show when they "just want to hear the songs" while turning a blind eye to how this band has operated since the beginning.

... Or maybe they were all chanting "BOOOOOOOOOOOOM" again.

PostPosted: Thu August 09, 2018 4:25 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Show was a lot of fun. Yeah, a lot of covers, but they still brought it. The White Stripes cover was ed solo, and a sweet moment. His old daughter was so embarrassed to be on stage, ha.

In reference to Bammer’s post. When Ed introduced Stone, he said something along the lines of, “From Capitol Hill, Mr. Stone Gossard. He grew up on the streets in the Newport Street Gang (*pause while Stone starts flexing*). Or, was it a chess club?”... I got a good chuckle from that.

Another joke when introducing Jeff: “He’s from Big Sandy. Which isn’t his mom’s name.” .. Jeff fucking lost it on stage.

The joke about Matt having 9 of the 10 kids was pretty solid. He also made another joke about Stone working in a bakery and making enough “dough” to buy a guitar. Which was met with massive moans from the crowd, and someone yelled, “DAD JOKE!” Ed took it in strides and knew it was pretty cheesy. Said he was just making it up on the fly, and figured he was doing better than the president (which elicited the mostly cheers and some boos). 20 minutes outside of Seattle, the rest of the state is pretty red, which is why I wasn’t surprised to hear that.

Ed sounded really good to me. He needed help here and there, not surprised. But he was really bringing it. Mike killed it as always. Jeff looked like he was having a lot of fun.

Highlights for me included Help Help, NAIS. And Even Flow was especially good. Ed was REALLY into it. He had just told the story about how it was written (a story he had never told), and you could tell it was making him emotional. Probably the best Even Flow I’ve heard in a while.

Looking forward to tomorrow

PostPosted: Thu August 09, 2018 4:27 pm 
The Master

bodysnatcher wrote:
Show was a lot of fun. Yeah, a lot of covers, but they still brought it. The White Stripes cover was ed solo, and a sweet moment. His old daughter was so embarrassed to be on stage, ha.

In reference to Bammer’s post. When Ed introduced Stone, he said something along the lines of, “From Capitol Hill, Mr. Stone Gossard. He grew up on the streets in the Newport Street Gang (*pause while Stone starts flexing*). Or, was it a chess club?”... I got a good chuckle from that.

Another joke when introducing Jeff: “He’s from Big Sandy. Which isn’t his mom’s name.” .. Jeff fucking lost it on stage.

The joke about Matt having 9 of the 10 kids was pretty solid. He also made another joke about Stone working in a bakery and making enough “dough” to buy a guitar. Which was met with massive moans from the crowd, and someone yelled, “DAD JOKE!” Ed took it in strides and knew it was pretty cheesy. Said he was just making it up on the fly, and figured he was doing better than the president (which elicited the mostly cheers and some boos). 20 minutes outside of Seattle, the rest of the state is pretty red, which is why I wasn’t surprised to hear that.

Ed sounded really good to me. He needed help here and there, not surprised. But he was really bringing it. Mike killed it as always. Jeff looked like he was having a lot of fun.

Highlights for me included Help Help, NAIS. And Even Flow was especially good. Ed was REALLY into it. He had just told the story about how it was written (a story he had never told), and you could tell it was making him emotional. Probably the best Even Flow I’ve heard in a while.

Looking forward to tomorrow

How's the hangover? tell us more of the show. Im bored.

PostPosted: Thu August 09, 2018 4:58 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Not hungover at all! Just had some pre drinks and then never had another.

A few notes:
— the false start to Go was obviously Ed’s fault. He had some spiel before the song and wrapped it up with a “why go home” comment. Then the band kicks into Go. Ed was super confused walking around stage talking to them, but it was obviously right there on the set list. Ed was probably pissed at himself, and when the band restarted Go, he let out this massive Do The Evolution howl at the beginning, and just went nuts. Ed crushed that song.

— whatever was being said above about covers / fans (I can’t see it posting on mobile)... you’d be surprised how many people at the show only knew a few songs. Everyone I heard at working talking about it were basically going bc it was the big ticket to go to. My wife heard a big group at work talking about only knowing one or two songs but were listening to others that day. I feel like these shows are more than just PJ shows... the way they’ve been advertised and hyped in the city definitely brought out everyone. At the first encore, Ed even mentioned being back stage talking about what songs to play and he wanted to make everyone in the crowd happy... said he felt like a waiter with too many glasses of water on his tray.

— I was very impressed and surprised by Ed’s intensity. There were some moments in there when the camera caught him in the moment, and he had that vintage mad intense look in his face and eyes.

— Brandi Carlile on stage was cool. She was blown away by the amount of people and you could just see it in her face. Like a kid on Christmas who just couldn’t contain herself. She must have hugged the band members about 25 times

— All Those Yesterdays sounded really good. Another highlight for me. The vocal play between Ed and Stone was really well done.

— way to many call and responses :haha: Corduroy, Evoltuion, Rearviewmirror, Betterman.

— my favorite moment was seeing my wife get so excited to raise her hands during Do The Evolution. She loves it. Also, when she yelled “booooo” instead of “boooommm” when Boom was introduced :haha:

PostPosted: Thu August 09, 2018 5:07 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

New album insight!

Ed asked how long it took Brandi to write “Again Today”, and she said a year. To which Ed look almost relieved and said, “Well that makes me feel better!” The rest of the band started laughing

PostPosted: Thu August 09, 2018 5:16 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Another fun game was trying to guess how many middle aged men were being carried out of the crowd by security. Either super drunk (how do you not know your limit at that age?!) or in town and ate too many pot edibles bc they don’t know how they work.

We counted 5 grown men being wheelchaired or carried out, just near our little section. Bunch of n00bs.

PostPosted: Thu August 09, 2018 5:18 pm 
The Master

bodysnatcher wrote:
Another fun game was trying to guess how many middle aged men were being carried out of the crowd by security. Either super drunk (how do you not know your limit at that age?!) or in town and ate too many pot edibles bc they don’t know how they work.

We counted 5 grown men being wheelchaired or carried out, just near our little section. Bunch of n00bs.

Probably boston bro's

mXn

Ah yes, the Big Sandy joke was :nice:

Poster of the Year

Strat wrote:
bodysnatcher wrote:

Probably boston bro's

:?

PostPosted: Thu August 09, 2018 5:22 pm 
The Master

thanks for the reviews guys.
'snatch, good insight on why so many covers made sense given the vibe of the show.
All Those Yesterdays, Throw Your Hatred Down, NAIS, and Help Help are all highlights.
Looking forward to Missoula...Really hoping they do NAIS again.

PostPosted: Thu August 09, 2018 5:23 pm 
Major Dude

durdencommatyler wrote:
wease wrote:
What is Again Today? Never heard of that one.

It's the Brandi Carlile cover they did on that tribute record last year.

Oh yeah. Pass

PostPosted: Thu August 09, 2018 5:28 pm 
Major Dude

Call and response in RVM now? For fucks’ sake...

PostPosted: Thu August 09, 2018 5:29 pm 
The Master

wease wrote:
Call and response in RVM now? For fucks’ sake...

wease you have been very fussy lately. Are you ok?

PostPosted: Thu August 09, 2018 5:45 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Fun fact: Dave Krusen wears Transitions™ lenses

PostPosted: Thu August 09, 2018 6:01 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

:haha:

PostPosted: Thu August 09, 2018 6:15 pm 
The Master

https://www.seattletimes.com/entertainm ... uffer_tw_m

Nice video of PJ with Brandie as well.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 482 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ... 25  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Live