The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Live

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 818 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2018-09-02: Boston, Massachusetts
PostPosted: Fri September 21, 2018 8:19 pm 
The Master

dimejinky99 wrote:
Where’s the thread where we talk about pearl jam shouldn’t play covers?

Go back to 2000 and listen to them cover timeless melody by the La’s
That’s a brilliant beautiful song and they nail it.

They've played some great covers over the years. We just don't need 6 in the same show.

PostPosted: Fri September 21, 2018 8:25 pm 
what on earth am I talking about

That’s true.

PostPosted: Fri September 21, 2018 8:27 pm 
what on earth am I talking about

You should hear the version of boys are back in town they did here in 06.
It sounded tight. But do it and do it right. Or don’t at all. Don’t cut it off halfway.

PostPosted: Fri September 21, 2018 11:34 pm 
Poster of the Year

2000 was peak pearl jam in many ways, including the covers.

PostPosted: Sat September 22, 2018 1:01 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Strat wrote:
numbers wrote:
I cant believe hes still bitching about the start time.

we're still arguing about Dave A and he was fired 24 years ago :gomez:

because Dave A drove the band

https://www.alternativenation.net/ex-pearl-jam-member-reveals-matt-camerons-drumming-lackluster-compared-soundgarden/

Quote:
“I left because Stone told me that they were looking for another drummer! Ha! It’s funny because it’s true. Truth be told, I still don’t know for sure why I was fired. I’d never been in that situation before. Looking back at it, as I did for years, it had me miffed. Then one day I came across footage of the band Candlebox with the drummer Dave Krusen playing with them live and a theory formed in my head. All personality questions aside, what I witnessed was just another drummer. No spark. No fire. No rock or roll. That was what they (Pearl Jam) had wanted as their drummer? Then I looked at how, in comparison to his other work, Matt Cameron’s approach with regards to his drumming is very tame and lackluster when he is playing with PJ. It made me realize that perhaps they never intended to be a hard-driven, powerful rock band. I drove that band as a rock drummer drives a rock band. Like Matt Cameron drove Soundgarden. Mind you, I am still guessing, yet this is the only excuse that I have found that makes my firing make sense.

Other excuses I have heard such as my cymbals, political views, gun ownership, or that I enjoyed the success more readily, etc. are all laughable to me. Actually, most of the facts surrounding how that powerful version of that band was destroyed is laughable to me at this point. I still think I am a little angry at the chicken-shit way it was handled twenty plus years ago. At least Stone was man enough to show me some respect and didn’t allow it to be handled by lawyers. I will always be grateful for the day we spent together when he told me I was out of the band. It was a very emotional effort that took a lot of strength on his part. He knew that it was going to destroy a part of me that he valued. It was the beginning of one of the most challenging experiences of my life, having to let go of what could have been and witness what all of that hard work was allowed to become.”

All posts by this account, even those referencing real things, are entirely fictional and are for entertainment purposes only; i.e. very low-quality entertainment. These may contain coarse language and due to their content should not be viewed by anyone

PostPosted: Sat September 22, 2018 1:52 am 
Looks Like a Cat

:nice:

Dave A gets it.

PostPosted: Sat September 22, 2018 2:49 am 
Major Dude

Birds in Hell wrote:
:nice:

Dave A gets it.

Indeed

PostPosted: Sat September 22, 2018 3:34 am 
The Master

I would say Jack brought something interesting to the band. And Matt's songwriting too.

PostPosted: Sat September 22, 2018 10:22 am 
I Have A Third Nipple

dimejinky99 wrote:
Where’s the thread where we talk about pearl jam shouldn’t play covers?

Go back to 2000 and listen to them cover timeless melody by the La’s
That’s a brilliant beautiful song and they nail it.

They played it 10 times over the course of a 72-show tour (then just 1 time since then). It was, for the most part, the only cover or one of 2 covers they played at the shows it was featured at. The gripes many people have expressed about current Pearl Jam shows have more to do with 6-8 covers per show and the covers that have become staples over the course of a multiyear period.

PostPosted: Sat September 22, 2018 12:04 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

96583UP wrote:
Strat wrote:
numbers wrote:
I cant believe hes still bitching about the start time.

we're still arguing about Dave A and he was fired 24 years ago :gomez:

because Dave A drove the band

https://www.alternativenation.net/ex-pearl-jam-member-reveals-matt-camerons-drumming-lackluster-compared-soundgarden/

Quote:
“I left because Stone told me that they were looking for another drummer! Ha! It’s funny because it’s true. Truth be told, I still don’t know for sure why I was fired. I’d never been in that situation before. Looking back at it, as I did for years, it had me miffed. Then one day I came across footage of the band Candlebox with the drummer Dave Krusen playing with them live and a theory formed in my head. All personality questions aside, what I witnessed was just another drummer. No spark. No fire. No rock or roll. That was what they (Pearl Jam) had wanted as their drummer? Then I looked at how, in comparison to his other work, Matt Cameron’s approach with regards to his drumming is very tame and lackluster when he is playing with PJ. It made me realize that perhaps they never intended to be a hard-driven, powerful rock band. I drove that band as a rock drummer drives a rock band. Like Matt Cameron drove Soundgarden. Mind you, I am still guessing, yet this is the only excuse that I have found that makes my firing make sense.

Other excuses I have heard such as my cymbals, political views, gun ownership, or that I enjoyed the success more readily, etc. are all laughable to me. Actually, most of the facts surrounding how that powerful version of that band was destroyed is laughable to me at this point. I still think I am a little angry at the chicken-shit way it was handled twenty plus years ago. At least Stone was man enough to show me some respect and didn’t allow it to be handled by lawyers. I will always be grateful for the day we spent together when he told me I was out of the band. It was a very emotional effort that took a lot of strength on his part. He knew that it was going to destroy a part of me that he valued. It was the beginning of one of the most challenging experiences of my life, having to let go of what could have been and witness what all of that hard work was allowed to become.”

Man, that was hard for Stone. He never talked about it right? just in the spin 10 years interview?

PostPosted: Sun September 23, 2018 1:32 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

just re-read that interview from 2001. a few notable points that jump out:

Quote:
1993-1994

GOSSARD: Ed was trying to break up our formula from early on; he immediately realized that getting bigger wasn’t necessarily going to make any of us happier. The song that you thought was going to be really great for the record wouldn’t necessarily be the one he’d attach himself to. It would be some sort of third riff or silly little song: All of a sudden that would be the one he’d want to work on. Looking back on it, I can appreciate it, and I sort of resent it.

Quote:

AMENT: We were so hard-headed about the 1995 [Pearl Jam] tour. Had to prove we could tour on our own, and it pretty much killed us, killed our career. Building shows from the ground up, a venue everywhere we vent.

ELIASON: God bless ‘em for trying, but people didn’t care; they just wanted them to play. That was the first time they felt backlash from fans, which is something they weren’t used to.

KARRIE KEYES: Looking back, I’m surprised they made it through, After the ’95 tour, they took some time off.

Quote:
1996-1999

GOSSARD: No matter what, you’re going to have a time when some people are going to lose interest in you. We could still sell out live, which took some of the ego sting. But there was definitely a sense of us not delivering the goods in the way that the masses expected from us. Then, I was straining at it. We didn’t talk about it. Talk about what? How do we get people to like us again?

AMENT: During that black-hole period, there were just a lot of power struggles going on. But Yield was a superfun record to make. And so much of it was Ed kind of sitting back; we worked on all of our songs before we worked on any of his stuff. That was a huge thing.

O’BRIEN: I remember there was a concerted effort to really put together the best, more accessible songs they possibly could.

MATT CAMERON: End of tour, Eddie said, “Hey, man, you want to join?” I said, ‘Let me think about it.” So I said, “I’ll do a record, do a tour, if you wouldn’t mind me doing it that way.” I haven’t really joined them long-term.

Working with them is totally pro. They can sell out any arena anywhere in the world. They’re kind of in a special league. They can tour really comfortably but keep it kinda small as well. Punk-rock arena rock is the way they approach it.

All posts by this account, even those referencing real things, are entirely fictional and are for entertainment purposes only; i.e. very low-quality entertainment. These may contain coarse language and due to their content should not be viewed by anyone

PostPosted: Mon September 24, 2018 6:08 pm 
Future Drummer

This bootleg is playing on Sirius XM starting right now

PostPosted: Mon September 24, 2018 6:15 pm 
Future Drummer

Man, Release sounded really good

PostPosted: Mon September 24, 2018 6:16 pm 
Future Drummer

I gotta say Sometimes->Release was a beautiful amazing wonderful way to start the show.

PostPosted: Mon September 24, 2018 6:18 pm 
Future Drummer

FINALLY Stone doesn't drag the hell out of LowLight. He actually kept it moving for once.

Man this is starting off as a great boot quite honestly.

PostPosted: Mon September 24, 2018 6:20 pm 
Future Drummer

Why Eddie has to pause 3 songs into the show to start ranting about Bono I have no idea but the first 3 songs were wonderful.

PostPosted: Mon September 24, 2018 6:21 pm 
Future Drummer

Stone is doing so good this show!! He's getting Elderly Woman right too!! FINALLY!

PostPosted: Mon September 24, 2018 6:21 pm 
Future Drummer

They should start an hour late more often

PostPosted: Mon September 24, 2018 6:26 pm 
I Have A Third Nipple

What start time do you think they'll print on the commemorative tickets?

PostPosted: Mon September 24, 2018 6:26 pm 
Future Drummer

Man, the sound in the stadium was NOT doing them justice this night.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 818 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Live