The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Live

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 215 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2018-06-19: London, England
PostPosted: Wed June 20, 2018 9:28 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

tree_ wrote:
bodysnatcher wrote:

Eddie Vedder trying too hard to be EDDIE VEDDER
He needs to work on being Edward Louis Severson III

He needs to channel Kurdt Cobain Chris Cornell Layne Staley Scott Weiland Billy Corgan Mark Lanegan.

Nailed it.

PostPosted: Wed June 20, 2018 9:36 pm 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

Bi_3 wrote:
tree_ wrote:
bodysnatcher wrote:

He needs to work on being Edward Louis Severson III

He needs to channel Kurdt Cobain Chris Cornell Layne Staley Scott Weiland Billy Corgan Mark Lanegan.

Nailed it.

PostPosted: Wed June 20, 2018 9:41 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Birds in Hell wrote:
bodysnatcher wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
Birds in Hell wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
Birds in Hell wrote:
Strat wrote:
Perhaps now they will finally age gracefully.

We can only hope, but I'm not holding my breath just yet.

I was listening to one of the South American shows yesterday and Ed sounds like he's going to explode when he's trying to screech out the beginning of Can't Deny Me, even though it's tuned lower than the studio version. It's bizarre, I don't think he struggles anywhere near as much with the older material (aside from Blood, maybe). It's only the songs they've written in the last few years which are ridiculously out of his range.

My hunch is this is because the band is workshopping and tracking the songs in whatever key they see fit, and don't really have the patience to transpose it once Ed tries to sing over it and realizes it's not within his range; so then either he is able to pull it off for the studio cut, or they are -- gasp! -- just downshifting the track while he sings, then tuning it back up to its original key after he's laid his vox down.

I don't know, nothing forces Ed to come up with a vocal melody which is more appropriate for early 80s Brian Johnson. It's those sustained screechy notes in songs like Life Wasted, Can't Deny Me, World Wide Suicide, that tear his voice up and I can't think of anything equivalent in their earlier material.

Songs like Dissident have high notes which Ed would occasionally stumble on, even back in the earlier days, but they seem less demanding overall as he wasn't writing melodies which forced him to hit high note after high note in a sustained way.

It seems like he's consistently writing vocal melodies which he simply can't sing, and probably couldn't have sung even when he was younger. It's a totally different approach to his voice, and one which seems crazily inappropriate for a guy in his mid-fifties. Is it a weird mid-life crisis thing?

Hmm, this is interesting. He definitely does swing for the fences more now on a syllabic basis.

Lol you’re still hung up on that??

PostPosted: Wed June 20, 2018 9:44 pm 
10Club Complaint Department

bodysnatcher wrote:
Birds in Hell wrote:
bodysnatcher wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
Birds in Hell wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
Birds in Hell wrote:
Strat wrote:

I was listening to one of the South American shows yesterday and Ed sounds like he's going to explode when he's trying to screech out the beginning of Can't Deny Me, even though it's tuned lower than the studio version. It's bizarre, I don't think he struggles anywhere near as much with the older material (aside from Blood, maybe). It's only the songs they've written in the last few years which are ridiculously out of his range.

My hunch is this is because the band is workshopping and tracking the songs in whatever key they see fit, and don't really have the patience to transpose it once Ed tries to sing over it and realizes it's not within his range; so then either he is able to pull it off for the studio cut, or they are -- gasp! -- just downshifting the track while he sings, then tuning it back up to its original key after he's laid his vox down.

I don't know, nothing forces Ed to come up with a vocal melody which is more appropriate for early 80s Brian Johnson. It's those sustained screechy notes in songs like Life Wasted, Can't Deny Me, World Wide Suicide, that tear his voice up and I can't think of anything equivalent in their earlier material.

Songs like Dissident have high notes which Ed would occasionally stumble on, even back in the earlier days, but they seem less demanding overall as he wasn't writing melodies which forced him to hit high note after high note in a sustained way.

It seems like he's consistently writing vocal melodies which he simply can't sing, and probably couldn't have sung even when he was younger. It's a totally different approach to his voice, and one which seems crazily inappropriate for a guy in his mid-fifties. Is it a weird mid-life crisis thing?

Hmm, this is interesting. He definitely does swing for the fences more now on a syllabic basis.

I just thought it was an appropriate image to illustrate your post.

PostPosted: Wed June 20, 2018 9:47 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

tree_ wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:
tree_ wrote:
bodysnatcher wrote:

He needs to work on being Robert Louis Stevenson

Nailed it.

Body Snatcher will get this.

PostPosted: Wed June 20, 2018 9:47 pm 
for those who
are not...shall be

tragabigzanda wrote:
Birds in Hell wrote:
Strat wrote:

Shut up

PostPosted: Wed June 20, 2018 10:12 pm 
The Master

knee tunes wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
Birds in Hell wrote:
Strat wrote:

Shut up

:lol:

PostPosted: Wed June 20, 2018 10:12 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Bi_3 wrote:
tree_ wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:
tree_ wrote:
bodysnatcher wrote:

He needs to work on being Robert Louis Stevenson

Nailed it.

Body Snatcher will get this.

PostPosted: Wed June 20, 2018 10:16 pm 
Production Police

Strat wrote:
knee tunes wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
Birds in Hell wrote:
Strat wrote:

Shut up

cyberbullying is not a joke, guys

PostPosted: Thu June 21, 2018 12:40 am 
Poster of the Year

Birds in Hell wrote:
bodysnatcher wrote:
Birds in Hell wrote:
bodysnatcher wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
Birds in Hell wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
Birds in Hell wrote:
Strat wrote:

I just thought it was an appropriate image to illustrate your post.

It was a great post, spenno. Even if these chumps can't recognize one.

PostPosted: Thu June 21, 2018 1:49 am 
The Master

It was an ok post.

PostPosted: Thu June 21, 2018 2:04 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Ed is ugly now

and I agree with the problem being that he writes songs alone at a distance on his computer in his space tree house atop his firepole and not in a room with the musicians playing the music because only later in front of 19,000 semi-literate chileans does he realize he can't sing this song as well as he could that night in his space tree house with a traffic cone wedged up his ass for pleasure when he wrote the song on snapchat with brendan o'brien's niece

All posts by this account, even those referencing real things, are entirely fictional and are for entertainment purposes only; i.e. very low-quality entertainment. These may contain coarse language and due to their content should not be viewed by anyone

PostPosted: Thu June 21, 2018 2:42 am 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

PostPosted: Thu June 21, 2018 3:36 am 
Production Police

96583UP wrote:
Ed is ugly now

and I agree with the problem being that he writes songs alone at a distance on his computer in his space tree house atop his firepole and not in a room with the musicians playing the music because only later in front of 19,000 semi-literate chileans does he realize he can't sing this song as well as he could that night in his space tree house with a traffic cone wedged up his ass for pleasure when he wrote the song on snapchat with brendan o'brien's niece

yeah you said this better than i did

PostPosted: Thu June 21, 2018 10:27 am 
what on earth am I talking about

What the hell happened in this thread

PostPosted: Thu June 21, 2018 11:22 am 
Champion of RM

dimejinky99 wrote:

Multiple folks tried to be clever. Multiple folks failed.

PostPosted: Thu June 21, 2018 11:24 am 
what on earth am I talking about

Looks like it yeah.

PostPosted: Thu June 21, 2018 1:32 pm 
Stone's Bitch

CopperTom wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:

Multiple folks tried to be clever. Multiple folks failed.

The daily struggle that is RM.

PostPosted: Thu June 21, 2018 1:37 pm 
The Master

Can't make any shots you don't take.

PostPosted: Mon June 25, 2018 7:12 pm 
known prankster

Rescheduled for 17th July. Anyone got a 10C ticket they're selling for face?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 215 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 11  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Live