Switch to full style
Participate in trades, B&Ps, and torrents for live recordings here.
Post a reply

Re: Old / Alternate Sources: What happened?

Fri January 27, 2017 1:12 pm

Don't be sad. Chances are if they ever circulated amongst the old trading community, they probably still exist on someone's massive hard drive.

Sun January 29, 2017 3:21 am

doone wrote:they probably still exist on someone's massive hard d----

Sat February 04, 2017 1:30 am

Thanks to everybody who responded. I know a few traders who have a lot of this stuff, I was just wondering what happened to a lot of it. I'm mostly interested in the alternate 1998 recordings. A few of these are available on ZOMB right now, if anybody is interested.

Sat April 08, 2017 2:11 am

Even back in 1998 it was rare that there was more than one tape of these shows circulating. It's certainly not spacedvest's fault...

The HtI database just lists what was recorded. No guarantee that those tapers ever had to send anything out. Typically what happened is that one recording would be identified as the best, and "treed". I had a seed that would send me copies on cd in the mail. I'd make 5-10 copies and mail those out to my leaves. Before torrents or widespread broadband this is how things got out! So it certainly favored the consensus bests. And some of the tapes just never circulated!

I traded with others to get different shows but it was still pretty rare to get more than one or two sources, and it took a lot of legwork to find a trader that had them. For example, 1998-08-29 philly was one of my favorite shows from the tour. It took a couple years to track down both the Schoeps and the sonic studios recordings, but I did. It was a close call as to which was better but I matrixed them in 2003 or so and shared that. I was happy with it. Maybe you re not. But I certainly didn't stop anyone else from tracking down the originals and obviously didn't delete other people's copies.

Mon April 10, 2017 5:56 pm

Tape trading/trees during the Yield Tour was the best, really miss those days.
Post a reply