Switch to full style
Participate in trades, B&Ps, and torrents for live recordings here.
Post a reply

SHN-> FLAC

Sat April 04, 2015 7:22 pm

I've got a TON of shows in SHN format, which means that I have to convert them one-at-a-time to listen on my phone, upload to the Google Play Music cloud (hosting 50,000 songs for free and take FLAC). Is there a more efficient way to convert a mass quantity of shows from SHN-> FLAC?

Re: SHN-> FLAC

Sat April 04, 2015 7:34 pm

http://tlh.easytree.org/

Sat April 04, 2015 10:21 pm

Download "Trader's Little Helper", decode the SHN's to WAV and then re-encode to FLAC.

Sat April 04, 2015 10:29 pm

So you can only convert one show at a time? Might be quicker just to download them in flac....

Sat April 04, 2015 11:45 pm

I'm a wee bit drunk right now, but what's wrong with foobaring them from SHN-->FLAC?

Sun April 05, 2015 12:22 am

track11 wrote:So you can only convert one show at a time? Might be quicker just to download them in flac....

No, you don't have to do them one at a time. You load all of the files into TLH at once, check the box that sets the destination folder as the original, check the "delete original files" box, and then hit "decode". The decoding process does not take very long...you can probably smoke a cigarette or take a shit in as much time. It will ask you if you really want to delete the original files - select "yes". Then load in all the wav files as you did with the SHN's and do the same thing again, but as a FLAC "encode". After the encoding process, the WAV's will delete as well and each separate folder will be FLAC. No need to manually set destination folders or manually delete anything. All you have to do is input the original files, check a few boxes, and the program does the rest.

Sun April 05, 2015 1:42 am

Why can't you convert the SHN straight to FLAC, WCT (as emanon was asking)?

I guess you can load all the files at once, but I wish there was a program where you could just drag and drop 50 shows (each with 2 discs/folders) and have it figure it out. With TLH, you have to go into each individual folder, select them, add, go to the next folder, etc.

I'm lazy.

Sun April 05, 2015 4:40 am

dbpoweramp with the shn codec installed

it costs money but it's worth it

use the batch converter and do them all at once

Sun April 05, 2015 12:06 pm

Perfection! Exactly what I was looking for...thanks!

What is the recommend FLAC "level" to convert to? 5? 8? Looks like default is usually 5.

Sun April 05, 2015 2:58 pm

Traders Little Helper seems to do exactly what you want. Why pay for something?

FEATURES
- Encoding of wav files to ape, flac, shn and mp3 format
- Re-encoding of flac files
- Decoding of ape, flac, mkw, shn, mp2 and mp3 files to wav format
- Direct conversion of ape, flac, mkw and shn files to flac or mp3 format
- Test of audio files encoded in ape, flac, shn and mkw format
- Verification of cfp, ffp, md5, sfv and st5 checksum files
- Creation of cfp, ffp, md5, sfv and st5 checksum files
- Display of audio file properties (ape, flac, shn, mkw and wav files)
- Fixing of sector boundary errors that come with ape, flac, shn, mkw, wav and mp3 files
- Removal of extra RIFF chunks in audio files
- Rewriting of WAVE headers to canonical format
- Creation of skt files for non-seekable shn files
- Test of wav files for mp3 source
- Creation of torrent files
- Display of the information encoded in torrent files
- Hashing of torrent files against local filesets or files
- Drag & Drop functionality for all supported file types
- Integration into Windows Explorer
- Check for update function

Sun April 05, 2015 3:28 pm

I am using the free trial version of dbpoweramp. The batch converter is phenomenal...just check off the 300 shows I want converted and voila. Took me 5 minutes. Conversion itself of course takes awhile. I could not figure out anything close to that functionality with TLH, but I do not claim to state with certainty that it cannot be done.

Sun April 05, 2015 7:18 pm

track11 wrote:Perfection! Exactly what I was looking for...thanks!

What is the recommend FLAC "level" to convert to? 5? 8? Looks like default is usually 5.

Mine defaults to the highest level - 8. That's what I use.

Sun April 05, 2015 8:15 pm

CopperTom wrote:
track11 wrote:Perfection! Exactly what I was looking for...thanks!

Mine defaults to the highest level - 8. That's what I use.

This

Sun April 05, 2015 11:41 pm

foobar2000.org

the "best" player/converter on Windows

just need download the plug-ins, and you're ready

SHN
http://www.foobar2000.org/components/vi ... ut_shorten

FLAC 1.3.1 (not a plug-in perse)
http://downloads.xiph.org/releases/flac/

enjoy!

Tue August 04, 2015 10:31 am

SHN format is an old lossless compression format and rarely used now and SHN format is not accepted by most players and devices like iTunes, iPhone, iPad, QuickTime, iMovie, Android, BlackBerry, Xbox, PS, etc.

Here is a step by step guide at: http://www.faasoft.com/articles/shn-con ... ndows.html

With it, you can easily convert SHN files to MP3, WAV, FLAC, M4A, AAC, WMA, AC3, DTS, etc.

Better still, it allows you to convert SHN files to any other popular audio formats in batch mode.

Hope it is what you are looking for.

Sun April 09, 2017 9:54 am

brotewlle wrote:SHN format is an old lossless compression format and rarely used now and SHN format is not accepted by most players and devices like iTunes, iPhone, iPad, QuickTime, iMovie, Android, BlackBerry, Xbox, PS, etc.

Here is a step by step guide at: http://www.faasoft.com/articles/shn-con ... ndows.html

With it, you can easily convert SHN files to MP3, WAV, FLAC, M4A, AAC, WMA, AC3, DTS, etc.

Better still, it allows you to convert SHN files to any other popular audio formats in batch mode.

Hope it is what you are looking for.

To convert .shn files to popular mp3, mxf converter could help, it converts various audios from old time to new common audio formats, take a try .

Sun April 09, 2017 9:44 pm

cutuphalfdead wrote:dbpoweramp with the shn codec installed

it costs money but it's worth it

use the batch converter and do them all at once

Fri August 18, 2017 7:15 am

There is a few tool that can convert shn formats now. But you can try this one:SPAM DELETED. It has provides the steps to do this conversion, just free try it.

Fri August 18, 2017 3:07 pm

I'm not clicking that.

Fri August 18, 2017 3:24 pm

Pete. just free try it.
Post a reply