The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Trading

Post subject: Alternate sources 1994-1998 - do you have any of these?
PostPosted: Thu November 21, 2013 8:15 pm 
AnalLog

The post about the alternate recording of Randall's Island 1996 made me think about all the alternate sources of shows that either never circulated or have disappeared from circulation. I looked up a few of my favorite shows. Does anybody know more about these recordings from 1994-1998?

4/07/1994 - Rochester, NY
Circulating recording: Sony PC-62 > Sony WM-D3 > DAT > CDR > dEdit > SHN
Uncirculating alternate source 1: Core Sounds > Sony TCD-D7
Uncirculating alternate source 2: unknown Aiwa mic > Aiwa HS-J360 (taped on stage)

4/16/1994 - Saturday Night Live
Circulating source: Mesmerize Bootleg (silver) > EAC > SHN
Uncirculating alternate source: The above sounds like shit for a live TV broadcast. Somebody has to have a better lossless source of this, right?

3/21/1995 - Brisbane, Australia
Circulating source: video (PROSHOT, only "Corduroy", "Elderly Woman...", and "Whipping")
Uncirculating alternate source: The video of above (can somebody explain to me why the video of above is not circulating? I have it somewhere on a VHS tape but you'd think somebody would have put it to DVD by now.)
Note: I found this on Youtube. The jam right before "Corduroy" sounds a bit like "Stupid Mop", almost enough to make me wonder if they actually played it at the show.

11/06/1995 - San Diego, CA
SV recording: SV055: Neumann KM-184 > Sonosax pre-amp > Sony D10 ProII (on 20' micstand, next to SBD cage) > DAT / Transfer: DAT-M > Archive Python 01931 > DAT2WAV > WAV > dEQ > dED > CDWAV > FLAC
Alternate recording: 'Monkeywrench Radio' mono FM (I can't seem to find this one. Anybody?)

11/04/1996 - Hamburg, DE
Circulating recording: [unknown mic > unknown DAT(promo cd?) > CDR] + [Countryman Isomax II > Sony TCD-D7 > DAT > CDR] > SHN
Uncirculating alternate source 1: Audio Technica 831b > Sony TCD-D7
Uncirculating alternate source 2: Sonic Studios > Sony TCD-D3
Uncirculating alternate source 3: Sonic Studios > Sony TCD-D7

11/09/1996 - Zurich, Switzerland
Circulating recording: Core Sounds > Sony TCD-D8 > CDR
Uncirculating alternate source 1: unknown Audio Technica microphone > Sony TCD-D7
Uncirculating alternate source 2: Sonic Studios > Sony TCD-D7
Uncirculating alternate source 3: Countryman Iosmax II > Sony TCD-D7
Uncirculating alternate source 4: Sonic Studios > Sony TCD-D3
Uncirculating alternate source 5: Sony ECM-909 > Sony MZ-R3 Mini-Disc

11/21/1996 - Barcelona, Spain
Circulating recording: Countryman Isomax II (hypercardioid) -> Sony TCD-D7 (~5' from left PA)
Uncirculating alternate source 1: bootleg CD: 'Mediterranean Homesick Blues' (sourced from Audio Technica 831b > Sony TCD-D7)
Uncirculating alternate source 2: Marc Sounds > Sony TCD-D8
Uncirculating alternate source 3: Sonic Studios > Sony TCD-D7

11/22/1996 - San Sebastian, Spain
Circulating video: none
Uncirculating video: (PROSHOT - only "StBC" and "Last Exit")

3/02/1998 and 3/03/1998 - Melbourne, Australia
Circulating recording: CountryMan Isomax II > Sony TCD-D7 >
Uncirculating alternate source: Audio Technica 822 > Sony TCD-D7

3/09/1998 - Sydney, Australia
Circulating recording: Core Sounds Binaurals > Sony TCD-D8 > DAT > CD-R
Uncirculating alternate source: Sony ECM-909a > Sony TCD-D8

Also, who recorded the last 4 Australian 1998 shows? It's clearly the same taper: Core Sound > Sony TCD-D100
I know the recording of 3/14/1998 Brisbane is supposedly impossible to find but it's one of the only shows from 1993-1998 that isn't out there and I was wondering if anybody knew more about it.

Just curious.

Post subject: Re: Alternate sources 1994-1998 - do you have any of these?
PostPosted: Thu November 21, 2013 8:58 pm 
Banned from the Pit

matt reeder wrote:
Circulating source: video (PROSHOT, only "Corduroy", "Elderly Woman...", and "Whipping")
Uncirculating alternate source: The video of above (can somebody explain to me why the video of above is not circulating? I have it somewhere on a VHS tape but you'd think somebody would have put it to DVD by now.)
Note: I found this on Youtube. The jam right before "Corduroy" sounds a bit like "Stupid Mop", almost enough to make me wonder if they actually played it at the show.

I think I did put those 3 songs on a DVD. Maybe it was bonus on something else or maybe I just had the 3 songs and never put them on anything. I forget.

Edit: and I might have the mono FM of 11/6/95. Probably a DAT extraction and not tracked out.

PostPosted: Thu November 21, 2013 9:29 pm 
AnalLog

I'm friends with a couple of really old-school traders. I might ask them about this stuff.

Also, why isn't a lossless source of 9/20/1996 Letterman circulating? You'd think somebody would have circulated that by now. I know the video is out there but there isn't an audio source not sourced from a DVD that I can find.

PostPosted: Thu November 21, 2013 9:50 pm 
Banned from the Pit

its possible this one is just the soundcheck
Uncirculating alternate source 2: Marc Sounds > Sony TCD-D8

Pearl Jam
November 21, 1996
Sports Palace
Barcelona, Spain
SOUNDCHECK

Source: Marcsounds -> Sony TCD-D8
Lineage: DAT(M) -> DAT(3) 48khz -> FLAC
Transfer: DA-20 -> Monster coax -> DiO 2496 -> CEP 2.1 -> WavePad (resample to 44.1) -> xACT -> FLAC

01 Parting Ways
02 Instrumental
03 Around the Bend
04 In My Tree
05 In My Tree
06 Hard to Imagine
07 Garden
08 Leaving Here
09 I'm Open

Total time: 72 minutes

Notes: Maybe the coolest PJ soundcheck ever captured on tape. Parting Ways wasn't released until Binaural in 2000. There were 3 tapers recording this and it was agreed between them this was the best sounding version.

Thanks to CPS for the tape.

Transfer by BLG
Compiled on 11-22-04
Tracked, encoded & additional notes 07-30-11

PostPosted: Fri November 22, 2013 4:00 am 
Banned from the Pit

Just checked, and I do have a DAT rip of 11/06/95. It's one big SHN file. 48kHz. 977MB. I think I used it in the 5.1 mix for that DVD. If you want it, I'll post it somewhere. I'll have to look for the 3/21/95 vid to see if anything happened with it.

matt reeder wrote:
Also, why isn't a ...

Not sure. It would be cool to see some rejuvenation here. I'd love to see some activity in this forum, it's been dead for years. And shows from '94-'98 are gold as far as I'm concerned.

PostPosted: Sat November 23, 2013 3:11 am 
Banned from the Pit

matt reeder wrote:

i do have a flac version from the vid but don't remember what happened to the DVD if anything:
Quote:
Pearl Jam
Entertainment Centre
Brisbane, Australia

Source: SBD > VID > dED > FLAC

01. Jam
02. Corduroy
03. Elderly Woman
04. Animal

Notes:

Only a few songs were taped, and there are cuts.

Digital editing involved removing a lot of pops on the tape, and evening out the left and
right channels.

Compiled on 4/28/2004 by DCL

PostPosted: Sat November 23, 2013 6:26 am 
Banned from the Pit

matt reeder wrote:
The jam right before "Corduroy" sounds a bit like "Stupid Mop", almost enough to make me wonder if they actually played it at the show.

That little clip that cuts out to Corduroy is definitely Stupid Mop.

I may be way off here, but I want to say that they used it as intro music during the 95-96 period... I seem to recall they used it when I saw them in '96, but again, this could just be age rearing it's ugly head :D

PostPosted: Sun November 24, 2013 1:15 am 
AnalLog

Leehro wrote:
matt reeder wrote:

i do have a flac version from the vid but don't remember what happened to the DVD if anything:
Quote:
Pearl Jam
Entertainment Centre
Brisbane, Australia

Source: SBD > VID > dED > FLAC

01. Jam
02. Corduroy
03. Elderly Woman
04. Animal

Notes:

Only a few songs were taped, and there are cuts.

Digital editing involved removing a lot of pops on the tape, and evening out the left and
right channels.

Compiled on 4/28/2004 by DCL

I have the VHS somewhere but I need to find it. I've had the FLAC for a long time and love it dearly. I LOVE LOVE LOVE that version of "Corduroy", just like I love every version of that song from Jan-March 1995.

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Trading