Switch to full style
Participate in trades, B&Ps, and torrents for live recordings here.
Post a reply

eBay poster question

Wed July 17, 2019 1:52 pm

I'm curious for an opinion from those of you who use eBay. I just had an auction finish yesterday, and the buyer sent me this.

"In the week since I placed my bid for your poster my wife received notice that she is being downsized from her job. I’m gutted that I cannot complete the purchase for the poster because I have been searching for one for a very long time. But the reality of our current economic situation makes it impossible. I apologize for the inconvenience."

Do I just accept that? Do I rate the buyer poorly on eBay? Do I offer to the next bidder? Do I just relist it?

Re: eBay poster question

Wed July 17, 2019 2:09 pm

Assuming their purchase history is otherwise clean, I’d just wish them well with these challenges and relist the item.

Wed July 17, 2019 4:02 pm

I suspect it's a lie b/c the bidding went to high.

Wed July 17, 2019 5:11 pm

Not to mention that if I don't formally tell eBay, I still have to pay their fee.

Wed July 17, 2019 6:39 pm

Report it to eBay, relist it, and just don't give that guy a review. If eBay punishes him, that's his fault. You shouldn't have to pay fees because his wife told him he couldn't spend the money

Wed July 17, 2019 6:52 pm

Yeah, that looks like that's my course of action, but eBay makes you wait 2 days for payment before you can report non-payment. I can report him now for violation of eBay policies, but that's just my suspicion. I have no evidence that he's lying to fuck up my sale.

Wed July 17, 2019 7:31 pm

Having been down the Ebay Revenge rabbit hole, I think whatever course of action you take in this instance, you should keep it clean and professional.

Wed July 17, 2019 9:23 pm

Yeah, I don't see what there is to gain by giving the guy a hard time about it. Cancel the sale, relist the item, move on.

Wed July 17, 2019 9:35 pm

I agree with trag and spenno here.

Wed July 17, 2019 9:55 pm

I don't intend to give the guy a hard time, but if I don't tell eBay that I was not paid, they charge me fees for an item I didn't sell.

Considering this guy bid it up to $1000, I assume that's not chump change.

Wed July 17, 2019 10:04 pm

E.H. Ruddock wrote:Report it to eBay, relist it, and just don't give that guy a review.

Wed July 17, 2019 10:23 pm

Also, I can't report until tomorrow night, so ... I mean ... it's not like I'm resisting the advice. There's just nothing to do about it until then.

Wed July 17, 2019 11:06 pm

Geezus christ $1000! What poster was it?!

Wed July 17, 2019 11:06 pm

doone wrote:Geezus christ $1000! What poster was it?!

Cincy 2003

Wed July 17, 2019 11:07 pm

B wrote:
doone wrote:Geezus christ $1000! What poster was it?!

Cincy 2003
Darn! I don't have that one to sell. :lol:

Wed July 17, 2019 11:14 pm

How much could I get for a Boston ‘98? It’s got pinholes in the corners.

Wed July 17, 2019 11:17 pm

I don't pretend to be an expert at posters. I posted it for $50, figuring I'd pay for my mystery box and maybe a bit more. An hour later, it was over $900.

Wed July 17, 2019 11:19 pm

Might be time for me to part with this

Fri July 19, 2019 1:37 am

It's in eBay's hands now.

Fri July 19, 2019 8:36 am

tragabigzanda wrote:Might be time for me to part with this

I'd be interested, but not at B's prices. That one's been on my wishlist since 2006, apparently.
Post a reply