The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Live

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Lets talk about the 2009 tour
PostPosted: Wed March 13, 2013 6:18 pm 
A Return To Form

turned2black wrote:
mray10 wrote:
turned2black wrote:
The October 9 show in San Diego was killer. The crowd was great, the band was perfect and the wife and I were drunk.

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2009/oct ... eminisces/

That was a fun show, not a great or killer show. Nothing compared to what they did in the same venue three years earlier.

You're probably right. My own state of mind had a lot to do with it. We were sans kids for the first time in a couple of years and drunk. This was the one where Ed climbed up the stage ladder, right? Or was that the tour before?

That was 2006 during Last Kiss, I believe.

PostPosted: Fri March 15, 2013 10:14 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

Biff Pocoroba wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
I was at the Seattle shows as well. I did enjoy the first time playing "No Way" in 11 years, and even though I don't care for the song that much, I liked the version of "Supersonic" dedicated to the Soncis leaving town.

I heard No Way in '98 and selfishly wanted to keep it as my rarity.

i get you.

PostPosted: Wed March 20, 2013 4:18 pm 
Broken Tamborine

stonefury wrote:
turned2black wrote:
mray10 wrote:
turned2black wrote:
The October 9 show in San Diego was killer. The crowd was great, the band was perfect and the wife and I were drunk.

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2009/oct ... eminisces/

That was a fun show, not a great or killer show. Nothing compared to what they did in the same venue three years earlier.

You're probably right. My own state of mind had a lot to do with it. We were sans kids for the first time in a couple of years and drunk. This was the one where Ed climbed up the stage ladder, right? Or was that the tour before?

That was 2006 during Last Kiss, I believe.

Right.

2009 was when he told way too many long stories about various special guests in the crowd.

PostPosted: Wed March 20, 2013 11:47 pm 
A Return To Form
 WWW  Profile

I will gladly talk about the 2009 tour and bore everyone to tears with a long post about my experiences from that year.

In 2009, I went to 5 shows. I went to Toronto, Chicago (2), and the last two shows in the Spectrum. Here is my rundown:

Toronto: I live about 90 minutes from Toronto. Maybe less. I haven't missed a Pearl Jam show in Toronto since 1996. The cool thing about Toronto is that with it being close to home I always get to share the experience with people close to me. In 2009, I finally got to take Mom to a show. I will admit this, I am a Momma's boy through and through. By 2009, I had taken everyone important to a PJ show except my Mom and brother Greg? (more about that in the Let's talks about the 2010 tour thread). Anyway, it was a decent group headed to Toronto and we got there early to enjoy the city. The CNE was going on and we walked around there for a bit and then got dinner at a restaurant that was barley open. We had to wait for them to print the menu for the day. They served the water in really weird jugs. Mom and I had 10C tickets on the isle in-between Ed and Jeff about 15 rows back. Of the Girl was a good start and the energy in the place was crazy during Corduroy. I really wanted Black that night because I wanted to hear the best band in the world play the best song with the best Mom I am ever going to have. Mom had fun.

Chicago: My girlfriend and I flew to Chicago with my best friend Don and his wife Michelle. Don's younger brother and his girlfriend made the trip and some of my girlfriend's friends were going to be down there. The younger brother's girlfriend was never on a plane before and started to panic before takeoff. I should have been more sympathetic. We stayed in a beautiful downtown hotel that was full of PJ fans. If I remember correctly, I found out about the hotel on a PJ message board. It was probably this one, Way too much sight seeing for me. Shopping down on Michigan Ave was an all day event for the girls that just never ended. I think I was sitting on a stoop in front of HM for at least 2 hours. We passed on the $379,000 elevator ride to the top of Sears Tower. Looking back we should have just paid and went up there. I thought the shows were fantastic. I am still devastated to this day that I didn't get a Cubs shirt Night 1 with the 23 on the back. I wore 23 growing up playing hockey and have a 23 charm and am obsessed with 23. One of my girlfriend's friends favorite song is Nothingman. She has been to handful of shows and no Nothingman. Well, she didn't go to the second show for some unknown reason so I knew we would hear Nothingman that night. Sure enough about 20 minutes into the show Jeff sat down to play the stand up bass and I knew it was coming. Hard to Imagine is so good.

Philadelphia: A huge PJ related regret of mine is not going all in and doing all 4 Philly shows. If I had, I would have been there for All those Yesterdays and would be able to say I have heard every song played from every studio album. Don and I drove to Philly to meet my buddy Matt for the weekend shows. Don and I sat together in Don's 10C seats on Friday and it was our first time hearing the Backspacer songs. I really enjoy Backspacer unlike many on this board so that was exciting. The Friday show blew my expectations out of the water. Saturday I sat with Matt and Don sat with some dude from this board that he sold his extra 1OC ticket to at face value. It was so cool to be a part of something big. The last night at an arena that hosted so many great concerts, sporting events, and whatever else. It was a great night to be in Philly with a World Series game being played across the street. Pearl Jam was closing the Spectrum, I was there with my buds, it was Halloween, and it was just an amazing night.

Favorite Show: Philadelphia, PA 10-31
Favorite Song: Force of Nature 10-30
Best Seats: Philadelphia, 10-30
Best Crowd: Philadelphia, 10-31
Best Venue: United Center
Best City: Toronto
Worst City/Venue: N/A (I like Chicago, Philadelphia, and Toronto just fine. Thank god no Camden)
Biggest Snub:The T-Shirt

PostPosted: Tue April 09, 2013 3:13 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

In 2009, I went to one show - Philly 4.

Basically, the most awesome plan possible for that day. I took my then fiance, now wife, with 10 Club tickets. We left at 7 in the morning from Manhattan, drove to the Spectrum - arriving around 9:30 - picked up the tickets (5th row on the wind, Stone side), then took public transit to the stop where we got off and walked 10 mins to get to Gino's and Pat's for our cheesesteak throwdown (I preferred Pat's and my wife preferred Gino's). After that, we headed to the national museums to check out Independence Hall, the Liberty Bell, and the Ben Franklin museum/printing press/etc. area. After all of that fun free stuff, we went our to dinner just across from Piers Landing, then took the train back down with all the Phillies fans to the Spectrum and enjoyed a 3 hour 45 min marathon show that managed to end simultaneously with Game 4 of the World Series (note that I am a Yankees fan so that was quite an experience).

The show itself is one of the more remarkable ones of memory for me, not just for the big time rarities that made the set, but really for the way it felt like Pearl Jam was attacking the show from the outset. Parts of it felt like the band trying to knock the place down themselves, parts more celebratory, and parts where they were clearly pacing themselves. In the end, it was more than length alone that made the night special and it really felt like the band and the crowd were a part of something bigger than themselves. Really a special night.

PostPosted: Tue April 09, 2013 5:32 pm 
Poster of the Year

Really special night, you know, except the part about the band playing like shit.

PostPosted: Tue April 09, 2013 5:36 pm 
Rank This Poster

cutuphalfdead wrote:
Really special night, you know, except the part about the band playing like shit.

is that what u said after the show?

PostPosted: Tue April 09, 2013 5:40 pm 
Poster of the Year

warehouse wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:

That show occurred when I was caught between being emotionally invested and jaded when it came to pearl jam. I was looking hard for things to be amazed by but I could feel that outside of a few isolated parts I was lying to myself.

PostPosted: Tue April 09, 2013 5:43 pm 
Poster of the Year

I remember talking to someone on the subway after the show who was going on and on about how amazing the whole experience was. I think that was the moment I realized pearl jam really wasn't the same anymore.

PostPosted: Tue April 09, 2013 5:45 pm 
Rank This Poster

cutuphalfdead wrote:
warehouse wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:

That show occurred when I was caught between being emotionally invested and jaded when it came to pearl jam. I was looking hard for things to be amazed by but I could feel that outside of a few isolated parts I was lying to myself.

sounds like strat syndrom

PostPosted: Tue April 09, 2013 6:19 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

At the show, I did not feel like they played poorly. I think when you listen to the bootleg, you catch more of it outside the context of the show itself. It's easier to sort of analyze the show after the fact. But when I was there, I was much more dismayed by the guy who kept whining about the people in my row taking up too much space than by what the band was doing on the stage. I thought the band was awesome.

Edit as an FYI: I thought they sounded much sloppier in State College in 2003, and everyone seems to love that show.

PostPosted: Tue April 09, 2013 7:17 pm 
Poster of the Year

I was so happy when they started No Way but was so disappointed by the end of it.

PostPosted: Tue April 09, 2013 7:20 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

warehouse wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
warehouse wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:

warehouse coined it here, folks. I'm looking forward to this becoming a thing.

PostPosted: Tue April 09, 2013 7:28 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

theplatypus wrote:
warehouse wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
warehouse wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:

warehouse coined it here, folks. I'm looking forward to this becoming a thing.

Wait, strat gets his own term, but not dime? How is that possible?

How about "dime dementia" or just "dimentia"?

PostPosted: Tue April 09, 2013 11:31 pm 
Gone

dimearrhea?

PostPosted: Tue April 09, 2013 11:33 pm 
Rank This Poster

verb_to_trust wrote:
dimearrhea?

this is what its called when you post pics of yourself w/ celebrities

PostPosted: Wed April 10, 2013 7:33 am 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

liebzz wrote:
Edit as an FYI: I thought they sounded much sloppier in State College in 2003, and everyone seems to love that show.

I’ve always thought from the Philly-Albany-Uniondale-Buffalo-State College run, the 4 first are the best.

And as a side note: I've always considered that Albany show as a prime example that you don’t need a super long show to have a very very very good show.

PostPosted: Wed April 10, 2013 2:09 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Angus wrote:
liebzz wrote:

I’ve always thought from the Philly-Albany-Uniondale-Buffalo-State College run, the 4 first are the best.

And as a side note: I've always considered that Albany show as a prime example that you don’t need a super long show to have a very very very good show.

It was a very good show. They should have come out for a second encore though.

PostPosted: Wed April 10, 2013 3:58 pm 
Future Drummer

liebzz wrote:
Angus wrote:
liebzz wrote:

It was a very good show. They should have come out for a second encore though.

They really just ran out of time, I rememeber being there and they threw out all or none as they new it would be short, that end of that leg 1 was insane.

PostPosted: Wed April 10, 2013 4:42 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

I was there that night as well (on another thread I admitted to being the instigator of the peace signs). It was a really fun show, though I thought the show they did 3 years later in the same building was even better - and of course much longer. Nonetheless, that show was a great time, and the full band debut of People Have the Power was spot on.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Live