Switch to full style
Discuss your favorite shows, tours, concert posters...
Post a reply

Re: Singular, Odd, Strange, Unique Performances of Songs

Mon March 27, 2017 12:39 am

Slow "Lukin" seems like it should be mentioned here. Don't remember which tour it was, but I think I remember it at least making an appearance at the Garden.

Mon March 27, 2017 12:46 am

I like the arrangement of Jeremy they were doing in 94 when they left out the first chorus.

Mon March 27, 2017 12:51 am

ridleybradout wrote:
bodysnatcher wrote:The 2003 Nashville show where Ed calls me out in the crowd during Rearviewmirror for my anti-Bush t-shirt was pretty dope

The 2006 Melbourne show where Ed calls me out in the crowd to play my request for Sad was pretty dope.

I love that flag, I want it on a shirt. :D

Mon March 27, 2017 12:54 am

darth_vedder wrote:Speed Wash:

I'd never heard that before. My initial impression is that it's an already-not-great song stripped of the main things it had going for it (mood and texture)

Mon March 27, 2017 8:50 am

So I guess speeding shit up isn't Matt's fault...

Tue March 28, 2017 6:38 am

I'm surprised nobody mentioned that weird re-arranged version of "Garden" from the 2006 tour. I'm listening to it right now and it's alright, but certainly not as good as the original.

Also from 2006:
* Porch from 7/06/2006 (Las Vegas) has a "Dirty Frank" tease, and is like 10 minutes long; this is the last time they used it as a show closer
* Man of the Hour from 9/07/2006 (Madrid) has a "Romanza" intro, the only one post-2000 I believe
* Evenflow has a drum solo
* There are several versions of Rearviewmirror without the middle jam, or with a very short middle jam (Berlin)

There are others from that tour that I'm sure I am forgetting right now.

Another favorite: the improvised "In My Tree" from Fargo 2003. This version is beautiful, with unique lyrics; it's a shame they went back and butchered it later that tour.

Tue March 28, 2017 11:32 am

matt reeder wrote:Also from 2006:

They also put Matt's backing vocals up very loud that year.

Tue March 28, 2017 12:23 pm

That Garden from 2006 was cool.

Tue March 28, 2017 9:49 pm

theplatypus wrote:
darth_vedder wrote:Speed Wash:

I'd never heard that before. My initial impression is that it's an already-not-great song stripped of the main things it had going for it (mood and texture)

Yeah, Speed Wash kinda sucks. The original is pretty good though.

Tue March 28, 2017 9:51 pm

Most alternate versions of Pearl Jam songs aren't very good. They range from horrible to interesting novelty.

Tue March 28, 2017 9:55 pm

cutuphalfdead wrote:Most alternate versions of Pearl Jam songs aren't very good. They range from horrible to interesting novelty.

Except No Jeremy. That one is great.

Tue March 28, 2017 9:57 pm

darth_vedder wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:Most alternate versions of Pearl Jam songs aren't very good. They range from horrible to interesting novelty.

It's an interesting novelty.

Tue March 28, 2017 10:28 pm

cutuphalfdead wrote:
darth_vedder wrote:

It's an interesting novelty.

There's some great ones, but none of them are "better" in a way that makes you think it should have been that version all along. I'm really glad alternate Corduroy and Jeremy exist and we have recordings of them. Some definitely are bad though. That alternate In My Tree still kind of pisses me off just thinking about it. However I do remember enjoying it live the first time I heard it, not knowing what they were playing at first. Now I can't stand it.

Tue March 28, 2017 10:34 pm

I've always loved this arrangement with the strings

Tue March 28, 2017 11:11 pm

Garden Europe '00

It is very subdued compared to other years especially in the chorus

Thu March 30, 2017 12:09 am

matt reeder wrote:I'm surprised nobody mentioned that weird re-arranged version of "Garden" from the 2006 tour. I'm listening to it right now and it's alright, but certainly not as good as the original.

Also from 2006:
* Porch from 7/06/2006 (Las Vegas) has a "Dirty Frank" tease, and is like 10 minutes long; this is the last time they used it as a show closer
* Man of the Hour from 9/07/2006 (Madrid) has a "Romanza" intro, the only one post-2000 I believe
* There are several versions of Rearviewmirror without the middle jam, or with a very short middle jam (Berlin)

There are others from that tour that I'm sure I am forgetting right now.

Another favorite: the improvised "In My Tree" from Fargo 2003. This version is beautiful, with unique lyrics; it's a shame they went back and butchered it later that tour.

Agree on a lot of this, especially that version of RVM, much better and tighter w/o the middle jam.

Sun April 02, 2017 2:09 pm

Sat April 08, 2017 9:59 pm

Porch with a wicked DF tag. Channeling indignation about the recent murders in FL. Wish there was video!!
[url]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tb9V2WKEbdU[/url]

How do I embed the video right here?

Sun April 09, 2017 11:32 am

yofismom wrote:Porch with a wicked DF tag. Channeling indignation about the recent murders in FL. Wish there was video!!
[url]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tb9V2WKEbdU[/url]

How do I embed the video right here?

Use <YouTube> instead of <url> (and be be sure to use square brackets).

Sun April 09, 2017 8:01 pm

Lukin from Denver 2014 is killer. Also love any of the 2014 and 2016 LBC/JJF performances. Especially Cincinnati. The St.Paul version got a shout out by being placed on a Spotify playlist a couple of weeks ago.
:ohyeah!:
Post a reply