Switch to full style
Discuss your favorite shows, tours, concert posters...
Post a reply

Singular, Odd, Strange, Unique Performances of Songs

Sun March 19, 2017 6:25 pm

Here's how this thread works: you post about an interesting, odd, strange, or unique performance of songs that other RMers may not be familiar with or that you'd like to highlight. This is not a "favorite performances" thread--get that shit out of here. We're talking singular performances of one song that you think stand out among the many, many performances of that song because of something that makes them unique. Example to follow in next post!

Re: Singular, Odd, Strange, Unique Performances of Songs

Sun March 19, 2017 6:29 pm

Doing a lot of writing right now, so I've loaded my iPod with lots of old bootlegs that I may never have listened to before. The one I threw on today was Dublin 2000, and the song that caught my ear was "Go," which closed the main set. This is the first time I ever remember the song having a tag--Fivehorizons tells me it's "Don't Dream It's Over" by Crowded House"--and there's much, much more of an outro than normal. Worth a listen!

http://www.pearljambootlegs.org/modules ... D&ext.html

Sun March 19, 2017 6:38 pm

Simple Torture wrote:Doing a lot of writing right now, so I've loaded my iPod with lots of old bootlegs that I may never have listened to before. The one I threw on today was Dublin 2000, and the song that caught my ear was "Go," which closed the main set. This is the first time I ever remember the song having a tag--Fivehorizons tells me it's "Don't Dream It's Over" by Crowded House"--and there's much, much more of an outro than normal. Worth a listen!

That is sick

Sun March 19, 2017 6:39 pm

But I don't think it's "Don't Dream It's Over". I hear a melodic resemblance but the lyrics aren't the same. It's just a cool improv thing.

Sun March 19, 2017 6:47 pm

theplatypus wrote:But I don't think it's "Don't Dream It's Over". I hear a melodic resemblance but the lyrics aren't the same. It's just a cool improv thing.

Just going by Five Horizons, which isn't perfect, since I'm pretty sure most of these summaries were written immediately after the concerts, well before the bootlegs were released: http://www.fivehorizons.com/tour/cc/t2000.shtml

Sun March 19, 2017 11:43 pm

wow, that's awesome

Sun March 19, 2017 11:44 pm

Simple Torture wrote:Here's how this thread works: you post about an interesting, odd, strange, or unique performance of songs that other RMers may not be familiar with or that you'd like to highlight. This is not a "favorite performances" thread--get that shit out of here. We're talking singular performances of one song that you think stand out among the many, many performances of that song because of something that makes them unique. Example to follow in next post!

This would make for a great fan download mix project, too.

Mon March 20, 2017 12:15 am

Mon March 20, 2017 12:20 am

Simple Torture wrote:Doing a lot of writing right now, so I've loaded my iPod with lots of old bootlegs that I may never have listened to before. The one I threw on today was Dublin 2000, and the song that caught my ear was "Go," which closed the main set. This is the first time I ever remember the song having a tag--Fivehorizons tells me it's "Don't Dream It's Over" by Crowded House"--and there's much, much more of an outro than normal. Worth a listen!

Very cool.

Mon March 20, 2017 12:35 am

Man, Pearl Jam really are not the right band to be playing something as furious as "Go" live.

Mon March 20, 2017 3:08 am

Foward to 4:20 for a surprise.

Mon March 20, 2017 2:26 pm

^ Oh yeah, I was at Hershey, the harmonica at the end is definitely something they don't often do. I think I'm kinda glad. That song is a bit more rowdy, and the harmonica just doesn't fit. At least to these ears.

Mon March 20, 2017 2:29 pm

I was at the 09 Seattle show where EV changed the lyrics of Supersonic to reflect the Sonics leaving town. That was... odd. Does that count?

Mon March 20, 2017 2:30 pm

One I like is Given To Fly from Milan during the 2000 tour.

After the first chorus, around the 1:33 mark, Matt does a snare roll, then Mike has like a wha-wha thing going on. I've heard a lot of version of GTF, but none quite like that.

Here on youtube that part is slightly behind and the part I'm referring to starts at the 1:36 mark.

Mon March 20, 2017 6:32 pm

That Dublin 2000 version of "Go" stands alone. I've always found the version from Noblesville 2000 to be really interesting, too. Some great feedback squalls from Mike with Stone conjuring up a fantastic, repetitive sort of underwater distress signal figure at the end.

http://bit.ly/2nfcSFM

Mon March 20, 2017 6:32 pm

This is a great fucking topic, by the way.

Mon March 20, 2017 7:08 pm

The 2003 Nashville show where Ed calls me out in the crowd during Rearviewmirror for my anti-Bush t-shirt was pretty dope

Tue March 21, 2017 5:06 pm

tyweed wrote:This is a great fucking topic, by the way.

Agreed, nice message board work here, ST.

Tue March 21, 2017 5:52 pm

It's obvious and by no means obscure, but I've always loved the '96 Bridge School version of Corduroy

Tue March 21, 2017 7:28 pm

Call me crazy but the riff (not the McCready freakin) in that 'Go' outro sounds like the vocal melody of the chorus of "You're all I need to get by" by Marvin Gaye, or more recently known from the Method Man / Mary J Blige song.
Post a reply