The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Live

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: What was the best tour?
PostPosted: Sat September 24, 2016 11:17 pm 
Rank This Poster

The VFC tour was probably my favorite tour. The set lists were a bit tighter and I really enjoyed seeing Tim Robbins opening for them.

PostPosted: Sat September 24, 2016 11:21 pm 
Champion of RM

Nobody enjoyed Gob Roberts. Nobody.

PostPosted: Sat September 24, 2016 11:27 pm 
Rank This Poster

CopperTom wrote:
Nobody enjoyed Gob Roberts. Nobody.

I did and so did Pat. There must be at least one more of us.

PostPosted: Sun September 25, 2016 12:16 am 
Major Dude

tommymtcom wrote:
The VFC tour was probably my favorite tour. The set lists were a bit tighter and I really enjoyed seeing Tim Robbins opening for them.

Did he crawl through five hundred yards of shit smelling foulness you couldn't even imagine to get to the stage?

PostPosted: Sun September 25, 2016 12:17 am 
Champion of RM

wease wrote:
tommymtcom wrote:

Did he crawl through five hundred yards of shit smelling foulness you couldn't even imagine to get to the stage?

No, it just sounded that way.

PostPosted: Sun September 25, 2016 8:46 am 
Future Drummer

In regards to 2003 "sloppiness"....I know I've said it before, but despite the short setlist and bad vibes, Hershey 2003 is a very very tight show. Short but sweet.

Buffalo and Uniondale 2003 are outstanding, and are probably the ones that I return to the most.

I like so many 2000 shows, but Saratoga-Pittsburgh-Chicago are still at the top for me, with Boise not far behind.

PostPosted: Sun September 25, 2016 3:59 pm 
The Master

the midwest shows were fanfuckingtastic.

PostPosted: Sun September 25, 2016 6:59 pm 
Future Drummer

Monkey_Driven wrote:
The mid 90s boots are hampered by the small catalog the band had at the time. '98-'05 is the sweet spot for me in terms of song selection, performances, and intensity.

Even though it's a smaller catalog, pretty much every show's performance from 93/94 was far and away better than any other time they've ever played those songs afterwards. Yes, this may be a bit hyperbole, but Dave A with PJ was lightning in a bottle... Yes, I like metaphors, too.

PostPosted: Sun September 25, 2016 7:01 pm 
Production Police

Iholdthepain wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
The mid 90s boots are hampered by the small catalog the band had at the time. '98-'05 is the sweet spot for me in terms of song selection, performances, and intensity.

Even though it's a smaller catalog, pretty much every show's performance from 93/94 was far and away better than any other time they've ever played those songs afterwards. Yes, this may be a bit hyperbole, but Dave A with PJ was lightning in a bottle... Yes, I like metaphors, too.

When viewed as a love letter to Dave A, Lightning Bolt still sucks.

PostPosted: Sun September 25, 2016 7:04 pm 
Future Drummer

I still enjoy LB more than most (on this board, anyway)... I think some of you need to recalibrate your expectations of this band, or else use your ideas and talents to create something.

PostPosted: Sun September 25, 2016 7:05 pm 
Poster of the Year

Yeah, if you just expect a shitty record then LB isn't disappointing at all!

PostPosted: Sun September 25, 2016 7:12 pm 
Future Drummer

cutuphalfdead wrote:
Yeah, if you just expect a shitty record then LB isn't disappointing at all!

Opinions are like assholes... I think yours stinks.

PostPosted: Sun September 25, 2016 7:50 pm 
Rank This Poster

Iholdthepain wrote:
I still enjoy LB more than most (on this board, anyway)... I think some of you need to recalibrate your expectations of this band, or else use your ideas and talents to create something.

What a weird second sentence.

PostPosted: Sun September 25, 2016 8:08 pm 
Future Drummer

Leatherhead wrote:
Iholdthepain wrote:

What a weird second sentence.

Technically, it could all be one sentence... with the elipses and all.

I'm not sure what's strange, though. If someone isn't satisfying your creative demands, why not attempt it yourself, rather relying on others? There are free multitrack recording/editing programs and cheap microphones available now that allow pretty much any talentless hack to create something worthwhile. Basically, my point is that I don't think this band sucks, like many here claim on a daily basis.

PostPosted: Mon September 26, 2016 12:29 am 
Looks Like a Cat

Birds in Hell wrote:
I wish I'd been around for the release of Riot Act (I was taking a vacation from Pearl Jam fandom at that point), because it's always interested me why it was so poorly received by some fans, the same fans who'd very much enjoyed Binaural, and why those feelings still run so deep. It was the point where both Caryn at 5 Horizons and one of the other dominant fansites (I'm struggling with the name, PJ Network? A guy called Adam?) effectively got off the bus, having been very invested in the band up until that point.

I think Riot Act is a flawed album that I very rarely want to listen to but, man oh man, things sure got much worse.

We could have a 100 page thread on this topic alone

PostPosted: Mon September 26, 2016 4:44 pm 
The Master

Iholdthepain wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:

I think the problem for me is that I prefer more songs from their '94-'03 run. Plus, the "us against the world Gen X thing" doesn't age well. The performances are good though.

PostPosted: Mon September 26, 2016 6:21 pm 
A Return To Form

Wendy Carlos's Twin wrote:
In regards to 2003 "sloppiness"....I know I've said it before, but despite the short setlist and bad vibes, Hershey 2003 is a very very tight show. Short but sweet.

Buffalo and Uniondale 2003 are outstanding, and are probably the ones that I return to the most.

I like so many 2000 shows, but Saratoga-Pittsburgh-Chicago are still at the top for me, with Boise not far behind.

I've been to 15 shows - including MSG II 1998 and MSG 1 from '03 - and Uniondale is at the top. Super-intense show.

Also, East Troy is a heck of a 2003 show.

PostPosted: Mon September 26, 2016 6:46 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

The 03 Vegas show is one of my favorites

PostPosted: Mon September 26, 2016 7:36 pm 
A Return To Form

chinofstone wrote:

I've been to 15 shows - including MSG II 1998 and MSG 1 from '03 - and Uniondale is at the top. Super-intense show.

I know a lot of people love Buffalo and Uniondale as well as Bonner Springs (great show), but I rarely, if ever, see Phoenix mentioned as one of the top shows of '03. I think it's fantastic.

PostPosted: Mon September 26, 2016 8:21 pm 
The Master

tyweed wrote:
chinofstone wrote:

I know a lot of people love Buffalo and Uniondale as well as Bonner Springs (great show), but I rarely, if ever, see Phoenix mentioned as one of the top shows of '03. I think it's fantastic.

I don't think I've heard that one before. I'll check it out.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Live