The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Live

Post subject: Soundboard Remasters Series (pre-2000 bootlegs)
PostPosted: Fri February 15, 2013 12:50 am 
Future Drummer

Bringing this across from the old board, links should still be active :thumbsup:

==========================================================

It is with great pleasure that I present to you the Soundboard Remasters Series.

Fourteen of the highest quality pre-bootleg-era Pearl Jam soundboards have been skillfully remastered by JWB for your listening pleasure. A lot of effort has gone into scouring the trading community's collective archives for the absolute best available sources, so it's believed with this set we now have definitive versions of these much-loved but previously disorganised recordings.

I will be uploading these in FLAC over the coming weeks using rapidshare mediafire (RIP megaupload) - they'll all be going to this online folder in 200mb rar pieces. Be sure to download all parts for a show before extracting using winrar or 7zip.

Soundboard Remaster Series

Post subject: Re: Soundboard Remasters Series (pre-2000 bootlegs)
PostPosted: Thu April 25, 2013 5:16 pm 
A Return To Form
 WWW  Profile

Some of Ridley's links aren't good anymore because MediaFire sucks big time. I reupped them all onto Mega.

http://wegotshit.blogspot.com/search/la ... 0Remasters

PostPosted: Thu April 25, 2013 7:34 pm 
Poster of the Year

love this project so much

PostPosted: Thu April 25, 2013 8:35 pm 
A Return To Form
 WWW  Profile

cutuphalfdead wrote:
love this project so much

Me too. Now these can be the definitive sources for all these shows for years to come. Rather than someone having just the Melbourne '98 Pre-FM while someone else has the promo CD and stuff like that.

PostPosted: Fri April 26, 2013 12:46 am 
Rank This Poster
 WWW  Profile

:thumbsup: Thank you.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 2:33 am 
tl;dr

One of the nice things about being on vacation from work is that I finally got to print off all the artwork for this series and line them up all nice-like on my CD shelf. Kudos for choosing artwork that looks decent even on cheap paper.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 8:19 am 
Future Drummer

Kevin Davis wrote:
One of the nice things about being on vacation from work is that I finally got to print off all the artwork for this series and line them up all nice-like on my CD shelf. Kudos for choosing artwork that looks decent even on cheap paper.

Good to hear physical artwork is still appreciated in this digital age :)

PostPosted: Fri November 22, 2013 4:42 am 
AnalLog

Just wanted to say a belated thanks for this project. Picked up Atlanta '94 and Melbourne '98 off zomb recently. Melbourne '98 sounds sooo much better. :nice:

PostPosted: Sat March 29, 2014 11:31 pm 
Champion of RM

Does proper source info exist for this project? I'm specifically looking for the March 5, 1998 info. I would like to include it on my list. Thanks!

PostPosted: Sat March 29, 2014 11:49 pm 
Poster of the Year

CopperTom wrote:
Does proper source info exist for this project? I'm specifically looking for the March 5, 1998 info. I would like to include it on my list. Thanks!

For that show I'm almost certain that he used the source that surfaced a couple years ago, which was the best of the sources available. I think it was the first true pre-fm source of the whole show, or something like that. I can't find my copy of that with the notes.

PostPosted: Sun March 30, 2014 12:18 am 
Champion of RM

cutuphalfdead wrote:
CopperTom wrote:

For that show I'm almost certain that he used the source that surfaced a couple years ago, which was the best of the sources available. I think it was the first true pre-fm source of the whole show, or something like that. I can't find my copy of that with the notes.

Thanks Chud. So it's Sony Promo CD. Do any additional details exist? Is "Remastering consisted of re-equalization and some very light limiting. No compression" true for all of the SRS shows? (I took that from the Monkeywrench Radio notes).

PostPosted: Sun March 30, 2014 3:32 am 
Future Drummer

CopperTom wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
CopperTom wrote:

Thanks Chud. So it's Sony Promo CD. Do any additional details exist? Is "Remastering consisted of re-equalization and some very light limiting. No compression" true for all of the SRS shows? (I took that from the Monkeywrench Radio notes).

It was indeed the Sony Promo CD. The only note with the SRS was this brief line included with the original torrent (still seeding for anyone who doesn't have the whole set :thumbsup: )

http://www.jam-river.com/pearl-jam/en/t ... s&tid=1343
Quote:
"Remastering consisted of EQ and Limiting - and sometimes some Compression."

PostPosted: Sun March 30, 2014 10:05 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

i put them all yesterday in my itunes... :D

PostPosted: Sun March 30, 2014 2:22 pm 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

I've probably listened to more PJ in the last three months than in the last ten years thanks to this series.

PostPosted: Tue April 01, 2014 9:09 pm 
Future Drummer

CopperTom wrote:
Is "Remastering consisted of re-equalization and some very light limiting. No compression" true for all of the SRS shows? (I took that from the Monkeywrench Radio notes).

Absolutely not. The SRS shows have been remastered to resemble the 2000 and 2006 bootlegs. Out of all the shows, Australia 1998 probably had the most work done to it. The promo sounded pretty crappy in it's raw form. The Australia 1995 show actually had some restoration work done to it because the promo is missing stuff...and it can now be heard complete for the first time.

PostPosted: Wed April 02, 2014 12:32 am 
Champion of RM

The 1995 show has had a complete version circulate for years. SV41

I wish proper source info could be created for each of these shows. Why cut the corner, you know.

PostPosted: Thu April 03, 2014 1:20 am 
Banned from the Pit

Wendy Carlos's Twin wrote:
The SRS shows have been remastered to resemble the 2000 and 2006 bootlegs.

I wish more people paid attention to this. Not detracting from the hard work anyone put in, but that was the point of this remaster series. If you preferred the sound of lots of the 90s sbd bootlegs, these will actually sound WORSE to you. Too often people assume remaster = better without bothering to compare it themselves to the original. It's a damn shame if a bunch of people delete the originals for the (often inferior sounding) remasters.

PostPosted: Thu April 03, 2014 9:56 pm 
Future Drummer

totalsellout wrote:

I wish more people paid attention to this. Not detracting from the hard work anyone put in, but that was the point of this remaster series. If you preferred the sound of lots of the 90s sbd bootlegs, these will actually sound WORSE to you. Too often people assume remaster = better without bothering to compare it themselves to the original. It's a damn shame if a bunch of people delete the originals for the (often inferior sounding) remasters.

It was an attempt to bring all of the early soundboards in line with the official boots and each other. Nothing more, nothing less. It's not my preferred mastering style, but in this case it's ultimately Pearl Jam who are to blame for that.

PostPosted: Fri April 04, 2014 2:42 am 
Banned from the Pit

totalsellout wrote:

It was an attempt to bring all of the early soundboards in line with the official boots and each other. Nothing more, nothing less. It's not my preferred mastering style, but in this case it's ultimately Pearl Jam who are to blame for that.

I get it - and I'm appreciative for that and hate that I come off as an ungrateful jerk, I'm not. It's comments earlier in the thread like "Now these can be the definitive sources for all these shows for years to come" that makes me nervous this ends up polluting the best-sounding sources out there instead of helping.

PostPosted: Fri April 18, 2014 9:49 pm 
A Return To Form
 WWW  Profile

totalsellout wrote:
totalsellout wrote:

I get it - and I'm appreciative for that and hate that I come off as an ungrateful jerk, I'm not. It's comments earlier in the thread like "Now these can be the definitive sources for all these shows for years to come" that makes me nervous this ends up polluting the best-sounding sources out there instead of helping.

That makes you nervous? NERVOUS? Think of how ridiculous that wording is.

Anyway, while I tend to agree with you that some people just assume that a remaster is going to be better, I think these really are all better..even if only slightly. But since you're "nervous this ends up polluting the best-sounding sources out there instead of helping", why don't you start a website, blog, or a thread on this message board that lists sources that don't make you "nervous"

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Live