Switch to full style
Discuss your favorite shows, tours, concert posters...
Post a reply

Why don't they ever perform Hunger Strike?

Tue May 10, 2016 3:09 pm

I know they don't have Chris Cornell (though it'd be awesome if he made more guest appearances to perform the song) but man they don't need him. Why not just have some random guest sing the other part? Or Stone or Matt? Even better, do it somewhere like MSG, and do a giant singalong where the crowd is Chris Cornell. Stone could help them along if they can't handle it. Imagine a duet of Hunger Strike with the crowd doing all of Chris's parts while Eddie sings his. That'd be amazing.

This is one of my favorite songs by them even if it's not actually a Pearl Jam song, so I wish it'd pop up more. That'd be so much fun live

Re: Why don't they ever perform Hunger Strike?

Tue May 10, 2016 3:33 pm

You're nuts, right? Stone physically couldn't do it; he doesn't have the power and range that Chris has. Matt might be better, but I don't know if he would really work, either. The crowd suggestion sounds even more cringeworthy, but I hear it's not unheard of for Ed to let them sing large portions of several songs, so why not let them do all the leads on one?

Tue May 10, 2016 3:38 pm

mikejasond wrote:I know they don't have Chris Cornell (though it'd be awesome if he made more guest appearances to perform the song) but man they don't need him. Why not just have some random guest sing the other part? Or Stone or Matt? Even better, do it somewhere like MSG, and do a giant singalong where the crowd is Chris Cornell. Stone could help them along if they can't handle it. Imagine a duet of Hunger Strike with the crowd doing all of Chris's parts while Eddie sings his. That'd be amazing.

This is one of my favorite songs by them even if it's not actually a Pearl Jam song, so I wish it'd pop up more. That'd be so much fun live

I bet your friend would like it too.

Tue May 10, 2016 3:43 pm

I actually think the crowd-singing idea sounds cool.

Tue May 10, 2016 3:50 pm

Brett wrote:You're nuts, right? Stone physically couldn't do it; he doesn't have the power and range that Chris has. Matt might be better, but I don't know if he would really work, either. The crowd suggestion sounds even more cringeworthy, but I hear it's not unheard of for Ed to let them sing large portions of several songs, so why not let them do all the leads on one?

Maybe Stone/Matt + crowd, if the crowd can't handle it by themselves. Stone doesnt need power since he would just be leading the crowd along to help them. Plus that means the crowd gets to yell the best part of the chorus.

Its just a cool song that I think shouldn't be so ignored

Tue May 10, 2016 4:10 pm

mikejasond wrote:Its just a cool song that I think shouldn't be so ignored

So are a lot of songs that are exclusively Pearl Jam. I'd rather they play their own "cool songs" than Hunger Strike.

Tue May 10, 2016 4:26 pm

E.H. Ruddock wrote:

So are a lot of songs that are exclusively Pearl Jam. I'd rather they play their own "cool songs" than Hunger Strike.

Doesnt stop them from playing Crown of Thorns and Rocking in the Free World over and over and over and over and over again

Tue May 10, 2016 4:28 pm

They done it already in the past with Corin Tucker and the guy from Band of horses.

Tue May 10, 2016 4:30 pm

VinylGuy wrote:They done it already in the past with Corin Tucker and the guy from Band of horses.

Ooooh, is there a boot of this?

Tue May 10, 2016 4:34 pm

mikejasond wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:

Doesnt stop them from playing Crown of Thorns and Rocking in the Free World over and over and over and over and over again

They've played Crown of Thorns 57 times out of 1000 shows. I'd hardly say that is over and over and over. And they've done Hunger Strike 28 times, so it isn't like they don't do it ever.

Tue May 10, 2016 4:49 pm

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
mikejasond wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:

They've played Crown of Thorns 57 times out of 1000 shows. I'd hardly say that is over and over and over. And they've done Hunger Strike 28 times, so it isn't like they don't do it ever.

That may be but I feel like recently Crown of Thorns gets played a ton and Hunger Strike not in years

Tue May 10, 2016 4:56 pm

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:They done it already in the past with Corin Tucker and the guy from Band of horses.

She does a terrible job. Completely off-key during the verses

Tue May 10, 2016 5:11 pm

LoathedVermin72 wrote:I actually think the crowd-singing idea sounds cool.

I agree

Tue May 10, 2016 5:38 pm

theplatypus wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:

She does a terrible job. Completely off-key during the verses

Holy shit, this is a horrific vocal performance. Why on earth did she sing it so low? If she just belted the hell out of it like I know she could have, it would have sounded great.

Tue May 10, 2016 5:44 pm

pretty much everything she's done with pearl jam has been awful

Tue May 10, 2016 5:44 pm

They did an OK version of "Harvest Moon".

Tue May 10, 2016 5:49 pm

i don't remember that one

Tue May 10, 2016 6:09 pm

LoathedVermin72 wrote:I actually think the crowd-singing idea sounds cool.

It would be neat as an experiment, a one off type thing.

Tue May 10, 2016 6:11 pm

Generally speaking, I think crowd-singing gets a lot of undue hate. Seems like a beautiful part of the communal experience of concert-going to me.

Tue May 10, 2016 6:17 pm

LoathedVermin72 wrote:Generally speaking, I think crowd-singing gets a lot of undue hate. Seems like a beautiful part of the communal experience of concert-going to me.

:thumbsup:
Post a reply