Switch to full style
Discuss your favorite shows, tours, concert posters...
Post a reply

Why Eddie WHYYYY on the Corduroy singalong

Mon May 09, 2016 4:27 pm

Why do you cut one of the most powerful moments of your ENTIRE CATALOG? I don't mind the singalong in general (though its a stupid place to put it YEA YEAAAA YEA) but man, that is one of the best moments of any PJ song, and when you expect "EVERYTHING HAS CHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAINS" you are greeted with silence :(

Its ok if its at MSG and the crowd loudly sings the part anyways, but....its still awkward. At MSG2 Eddie did sing "spill my tincture" along with the crowd which makes me think the crowd singing the part anyways is not exactly intended, and was a pleasant surprise. But yeah WHY MUST YOU DO THIS?!

I know Eddie can't really hit those notes anymore but that's never stopped him before.

Re: Why Eddie WHYYYY on the Corduroy singalong

Mon May 09, 2016 4:36 pm

If I sang along I would very loudly enunciate "everything has changed"

Thu May 12, 2016 2:25 am

Ed CAN hit those notes. The fact he sings Blood and Deep and those high-notes in RVM and Daughter is evidence of that.

Thu May 12, 2016 6:36 pm

wease wrote:Ed CAN hit those notes. The fact he sings Blood and Deep and those high-notes in RVM and Daughter is evidence of that.

Then why is he neglecting one of the best part of his entire catalog?

Thu May 12, 2016 6:38 pm

All the chant-y stuff needs to go away fast. The DTE guitar solo football-chant was bad enough but this butchering of Corduroy is a new low.

Thu May 12, 2016 6:39 pm

I think the DTE one was worse than this Corduroy one.

Thu May 12, 2016 6:43 pm

The DTE solo isn't one of my favorite Pearl Jam parts so I'm not that bothered by it. The chanting itself might be worse though. In Corduroy it really weakens that moment for me which makes me hate it more.

Thu May 12, 2016 6:49 pm

Yea, the singalongs and chanting is ridiculous. I really wouldn't mind the new Corduroy breakdown thing if there was no crowd participation.

Thu May 12, 2016 6:54 pm

Leatherhead wrote:Yea, the singalongs and chanting is ridiculous. I really wouldn't mind the new Corduroy breakdown thing if there was no crowd participation.

That's silly. The crowd participation isn't what makes it terrible.

Thu May 12, 2016 6:55 pm

Crowd participation is fine. I just wish Eddie actually sang that part.

Thu May 12, 2016 6:55 pm

The "Do the Evolution" thing was fine when it happened organically in South America, unprompted. When Eddie tries to get the North American crowds to do it it's just Cringe City.

Thu May 12, 2016 7:37 pm

The Do the Evolution one is awesome. The problem with Corduroy is him not singing the iconic part of the song and bringing down at the emotional climax of the song to play with the crowd.

Thu May 12, 2016 8:33 pm

mikejasond wrote:
wease wrote:Ed CAN hit those notes. The fact he sings Blood and Deep and those high-notes in RVM and Daughter is evidence of that.

Then why is he neglecting one of the best part of his entire catalog?

Because he so wants to be like the musical establishment that he used to hate and doing sing-alongs in every song brings him closer to that.

Thu May 12, 2016 8:35 pm

And for the record, I agree with you. I absolutely HATE the new arrangement. It totally kills any energy the song has and kills the (wait for it...) dynamics of the song for the worse.

Fri May 13, 2016 12:20 am

the only place there should be a singalong is during an extremely long version of Daughter that includes significant hi hat tickling by Dave A

Fri May 13, 2016 12:24 am

I'll tickle your hi hat.

Fri May 13, 2016 12:26 am

only if daughter is playing

or behind a dumpster in a Steak N Shake parking lot

i have standards

Fri May 13, 2016 12:29 am

I'll shake your steak.

Fri May 13, 2016 12:31 am

only if tickle my nausea is playing

or behind a standard in a hi hat

i have daughter

Fri May 13, 2016 6:06 pm

God, you guys weren't kidding about the Corduroy singalong. It's just brutal. Ugh. The bridge of the song is one of the highlights of the entire PJ catalog.
Post a reply