The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Live

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 271 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2016 Official Bootlegs
PostPosted: Fri September 02, 2016 12:43 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

Kevin Davis wrote:
matt reeder wrote:
Kevin Davis wrote:
The Third Man show was a new low for Ed, IMO. His singing on "Deep" is embarrassing. However, in person, he sounded fine. We'll see what the boot says.

It wasn't his finest moment but it could have been worse. I've heard worse over the past few years. I couldn't even get through most of the 2016 shows because his voice isn't holding up through the shows anymore.

The way you feel about that "Deep" is how I feel about the downtuned "Oceans" from Columbia. Ugh times a million.

I haven't really followed the shows carefully since 2010, so maybe that's why the TMR show came as such a shocker. I'm familiar with most of his vocal tics by now but his voice actually cracking was a new one for me. Seems like there's no clearer sign that you're attempting to sing beyond your capacity.

The cracking is just the old timeyness of the booth

PostPosted: Fri September 02, 2016 1:28 pm 
Broken Tamborine

Eddie solo from Ohana Fest sounds fantastic right now on Sirius, of course he doesn't have to strain at all in this setting.

disclaimer: we're only 4-5 songs in at this point.

PostPosted: Fri September 02, 2016 3:00 pm 
tl;dr

I don't think the live set was recorded in the booth, Ruddo.

PostPosted: Fri September 02, 2016 3:06 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

Kevin Davis wrote:

I know. I just thought maybe after the booth, EV was on one of his tangents and decided to do everything in that style. Maybe even tour with an old phone booth that he could sit in during live shows.

PostPosted: Fri September 02, 2016 4:05 pm 
Major Dude

matt reeder wrote:
Kevin Davis wrote:
The Third Man show was a new low for Ed, IMO. His singing on "Deep" is embarrassing. However, in person, he sounded fine. We'll see what the boot says.

It wasn't his finest moment but it could have been worse. I've heard worse over the past few years. I couldn't even get through most of the 2016 shows because his voice isn't holding up through the shows anymore.

The way you feel about that "Deep" is how I feel about the downtuned "Oceans" from Columbia. Ugh times a million.

Yeah, the downtuned songs are headscratchers for me. Listening to Greenville and WMA comes up. Downtuned. Then, right after that, Blood in its original key? You'd think if they downtuned one of those tunes, it wouldn't be WMA.

PostPosted: Fri September 02, 2016 4:06 pm 
Major Dude

numbers wrote:
Kevin Davis wrote:
Leatherhead wrote:
Kevin Davis wrote:

What? I don't understand.

Sorry. I saw him in person at Wrigley and his voice sounded fine, but the Third Man show sounds awful. I will be curious to hear the Wrigley boot (if one is made) to see how good he really did sound that night, or if the weaknesses just didn't accurately come across in the live setting.

I feel like he has to be really, really bad for it to be something you pick up on at the live show. I thought he sounded great at Fenway, then I listened to the boot and while he wasn't bad, there were def times he totally ran out of gas during songs.

His voice was out of gas during the second song. It was cracking during Long Road.

PostPosted: Fri September 02, 2016 4:08 pm 
Major Dude

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
Kevin Davis wrote:

I know. I just thought maybe after the booth, EV was on one of his tangents and decided to do everything in that style. Maybe even tour with an old phone booth that he could sit in during live shows.

He's just getting ready for 40 years from now they'll sit on stools the whole show.

PostPosted: Fri September 02, 2016 5:51 pm 
AnalLog

Kevin Davis wrote:
matt reeder wrote:
Kevin Davis wrote:

I haven't really followed the shows carefully since 2010, so maybe that's why the TMR show came as such a shocker. I'm familiar with most of his vocal tics by now but his voice actually cracking was a new one for me. Seems like there's no clearer sign that you're attempting to sing beyond your capacity.

His voice is really hit or miss and has been since about 2008, but it's getting worse fast now. It's understandable given his age but it's very jarring if you aren't prepared for it. Out of all the tours over the past 10 years since 2006 (still one of the band's live peaks), the only one where Ed's voice held up for the entire tour is 2014. I'm not sure what it was he was doing but he sounded very good for much of 2014 (other than Big Day Out, where he sounded like crap).

I really think they need to think long and hard about what they are doing live, when and why. I'm willing to trade an hour out of each show so that Ed has the energy to get through some of the tougher stuff. Or they need to drop the tougher stuff for good ("Blood" in particular needs to go - Ed just can't do it anymore) and do more of the mid-tempo stuff that Ed can still sing well, like "Nothing As It Seems", "Hard to Imagine", "Off He Goes", "Footsteps", "Red Mosquito", "I Am Mine", etc.

PostPosted: Fri September 02, 2016 5:54 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

2015 was a good year for ed too. The BA show i saw was pretty amazing.

I dont know guys, im fine with him having rough nights...i still think he is one of the best vocalists out there..i agree that songs like Blood are weird live these days...specially if the do it in the second or third encore.

PostPosted: Fri September 02, 2016 6:24 pm 
AnalLog

VinylGuy wrote:
2015 was a good year for ed too. The BA show i saw was pretty amazing.

I dont know guys, im fine with him having rough nights...i still think he is one of the best vocalists out there..i agree that songs like Blood are weird live these days...specially if the do it in the second or third encore.

I couldn't listen to the 2015 shows because of the static. But he tends to sound better live than on the boots, so I guess that's what really matters.

PostPosted: Fri September 02, 2016 9:27 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Well, and I know I've said this before, I don't think it's that he sounds great in the room but the bootleg isn't an accurate reflection. He sounds the same in the room as he does on the recording, it's just a much more forgiving environment and the flaws aren't as apparent.

Anyway, I know you know this, I'm just sayin'.

PostPosted: Fri September 02, 2016 11:08 pm 
tl;dr

Birds in Hell wrote:
Well, and I know I've said this before, I don't think it's that he sounds great in the room but the bootleg isn't an accurate reflection. He sounds the same in the room as he does on the recording, it's just a much more forgiving environment and the flaws aren't as apparent.

Yes, this is very true; the boom in his voice is what carries, not the cracks and wavers. Still, I thought he sounded ok in 2014 and he sounded ok on the boots too, so who knows.

PostPosted: Fri September 02, 2016 11:10 pm 
The Master

Kevin Davis wrote:
Birds in Hell wrote:

Yes, this is very true; the boom in his voice is what carries, not the cracks and wavers. Still, I thought he sounded ok in 2014 and he sounded ok on the boots too, so who knows.

I wish he'd go quieter and less breathy. Almost Bill Callahan, but not as droll. Sort of like where he's at on NAIS and SoH.

PostPosted: Sat September 03, 2016 1:58 am 
Rank This Poster
 WWW  Profile

i really think he sounded better on the boots this year than any other lightnin baw tour.

PostPosted: Sat September 03, 2016 2:58 am 
Rank This Poster

I feel like Ed still sounds good on anything post-Yield.

PostPosted: Sat September 03, 2016 1:54 pm 
tl;dr

tragabigzanda wrote:
Kevin Davis wrote:
Birds in Hell wrote:

I wish he'd go quieter and less breathy. Almost Bill Callahan, but not as droll. Sort of like where he's at on NAIS and SoH.

To my ears, the recording of "Dream a Little Dream" that closes the ukulele album is the closest Eddie comes to finding a way to repurpose his limitations as a strength -- somewhat haggard and threadbare, yes, but comfortable working within that template, and as such able to put across a wisdom and experience that a younger voice could not. This adaptability is basically the reason Bruce Springsteen and Bob Dylan have been able to release credible albums into their 60's (70's in Bob's case)
-- they've exploited their flaws as touchstones of authenticity, making them sound more, not less, in command of their art. The problem with Ed translating this sense of maturity to the live show is that PJ's arrangements are so static and inflexible (and they've proven this in a handful of unsuccessful attempts to deviate from them over the years) that anything beyond a small change to the vocal performance inevitably feels "off," as it fails to achieve the level of "different interpretation" but rather remains stuck in the realm of "subpar recitation." If the band could reimagine their songs to meet Ed halfway (and by this I don't just mean tuning them all down a half step) I think it would open up a lot of possibilities for them in terms of pure performance quality. That said, the more "general rock fan" portion of their audience probably isn't prepared for that, and as mentioned before, they don't really have a knack for this sort of thing anyway. But a guy can dream.

PostPosted: Sat September 03, 2016 4:31 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

man, i really want a new pj album.

PostPosted: Sat September 03, 2016 4:43 pm 
The Master

Kevin Davis wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
Kevin Davis wrote:
Birds in Hell wrote:

To my ears, the recording of "Dream a Little Dream" that closes the ukulele album is the closest Eddie comes to finding a way to repurpose his limitations as a strength -- somewhat haggard and threadbare, yes, but comfortable working within that template, and as such able to put across a wisdom and experience that a younger voice could not. This adaptability is basically the reason Bruce Springsteen and Bob Dylan have been able to release credible albums into their 60's (70's in Bob's case)
-- they've exploited their flaws as touchstones of authenticity, making them sound more, not less, in command of their art. The problem with Ed translating this sense of maturity to the live show is that PJ's arrangements are so static and inflexible (and they've proven this in a handful of unsuccessful attempts to deviate from them over the years) that anything beyond a small change to the vocal performance inevitably feels "off," as it fails to achieve the level of "different interpretation" but rather remains stuck in the realm of "subpar recitation." If the band could reimagine their songs to meet Ed halfway (and by this I don't just mean tuning them all down a half step) I think it would open up a lot of possibilities for them in terms of pure performance quality. That said, the more "general rock fan" portion of their audience probably isn't prepared for that, and as mentioned before, they don't really have a knack for this sort of thing anyway. But a guy can dream a little dream.

FTFY
You really could have nailed this post with the final kicker

PostPosted: Sat September 10, 2016 5:57 pm 
Champion of RM

And now the waiting game for Wrigley boots...

:shake:

PostPosted: Sat September 10, 2016 10:03 pm 
Major Dude

I hope the include the 2013 show with the set like they did the Gorge set.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 271 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Live