The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Live

Post subject: Rank or Discuss your pre/post-show overall experiences
PostPosted: Fri January 29, 2016 6:29 am 
mXn

Go on, do it.

Home town, road trip, Wishlist pre-party, banged a chick you met at the concert, got a tattoo, etc. What went on besides the show itself?

#1 for me would be Vancouver BC (2003?) which included a tranny hooker posted up in front of the hotel lobby door, human poop in our parking space at the hotel, skinniest drug addict I have ever seen walking to the venue, homeless guy bleeding from his head walking back from the venue, and deciding to ask for our money back and just drive home that night after seeing how dirty the towels and sheets were in our hotel room.

Last edited by Bammer on Sat February 06, 2016 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Rank your pre/post-show overall experiences
PostPosted: Sat January 30, 2016 4:17 pm 
tl;dr

Moline 2014. Quick drive home, in bed by 12.

PostPosted: Mon February 01, 2016 5:22 am 
mXn

I gotta be honest, I thought this thread would get a lot more juice.

Does the same thread already exist?

PostPosted: Tue February 02, 2016 7:11 pm 
Broken Tamborine

A lot of them have ended having beers with some really fun people after the show.

Manchester 2012 ended with me and a friend meeting some girls in the bar, waking up on a hotel room floor and sprinting for a train the next morning. Considering it was my least favourite PJ show, I think I enjoyed the night after considerably more.

PostPosted: Tue February 02, 2016 9:13 pm 
The Master

Two most memorable for me were:

1. I had a buddy who was working for Great Woods in '98. He got me an employee/crew pass. I snuck backstage after the show and hung out in the "green room" for a bit. I was eventually confronted by some woman who was in charge and kicked out. Not much of a story, but it felt pretty cool when I was 18.

2. Standing in line in Hartford with my wife during the Lightning Bolt tour was pretty fun. She's not a huge fan, had never been to a PJ show. She was interested in all the hoopla -- what songs were we hoping to get, where's the best spot to be in GA, etc. We got second row from the rail on Mike's side and had a blast. She had never seen a huge rock show that close to the stage before, so I got a lot of joy out of that.

Otherwise, years of catching shows in MA and CT have all blended together into one great pre-show BBQ in the parking lot, and one shitty drive home to Gloucester.

PostPosted: Tue February 02, 2016 9:39 pm 
Rank This Poster

1) de Luna '12. It was on Pensacola Beach. It was like those movies where you spend all day drinking, lounging, and swimming, and then when it gets dark, a band plays. But it was Pearl Jam.
2) NYC 08. My first time in NYC. The shows were a bonus to spending a week there with my wife.
3) Seattle 02. Not a good show. Had a blast with friends all day beforehand, and we had all come from different states to congregate.
4) Every Chicago show I've been to - 98, 06, Lolla 07, 09, and Wrigley 13 - little bars, good times.

I've been to 35 shows to date. I have great and specific memories about each of them, and very few are the shows themselves.

Last edited by daft twat on Wed February 03, 2016 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue February 02, 2016 11:38 pm 
mXn

daft twat wrote:
I've been to 35 shows to date. I have great and specific memories about each of them, and very few are the shows themselves.

Now we're getting somewhere

PostPosted: Thu February 04, 2016 9:56 pm 
Future Drummer
 WWW  Profile

I remember getting a little tipsy prior to Hersey '03, meeting up with my family before the show for dinner, and started railing loudly at my Dad about how much of a tool GW was. Ha! Good times...

PostPosted: Fri February 05, 2016 4:36 am 
The Master

best pre show: tailgating for hours in the drinking lot before cincy 2000

best post show: sneaking backstage after my first PJ show and chatting up ed for a minute

PostPosted: Fri February 05, 2016 3:54 pm 
mXn

Ranking is too hard, I'm going to start rattling off in chronological order.

Seattle 1996 (Key Arena): Got tix through the fan club (I think?) but I don't remember the exact process (not thru Ticketmaster?). I clearly remember being at my dad's office when the ticket arrived in the mail. Lost that ticket sadly, I think it was light blue with like a globe on it or a map of the world or something. Got there early, waited in what I remember was a really long line, met Jerry Cantrell in said line (which was weird that he wasn't VIP or something), got someone to take our picture and this was before smartphones so I gave him my address to mail me the developed pic but he never did, Jerry signed a receipt I had in my pocket, and I lost it somewhere along the way. By getting there early I was able to get up on the rail on Mike's side in GA. Got separated from the friend I went to the show with. Can't remember if I drove home or got a ride from one of my parents ... this was the year I turned 16 but I didn't get my license until months after my birthday.

PostPosted: Fri February 05, 2016 7:31 pm 
tl;dr

Here's a good pre-show: STL 2000. Driving from Peoria, IL. We got about three minutes into our trip when the driver decided he wanted to run back to his house to get a hooded sweatshirt, and when we pull back into his driveway and get out of the car, there are our tickets sitting on the ground. That was a brief moment of horror, immediately followed by relief.

PostPosted: Fri February 05, 2016 8:10 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

Kevin Davis wrote:
Here's a good pre-show: STL 2000. Driving from Peoria, IL. We got about three minutes into our trip when the driver decided he wanted to run back to his house to get a hooded sweatshirt, and when we pull back into his driveway and get out of the car, there are our tickets sitting on the ground. That was a brief moment of horror, immediately followed by relief.

Jeez, talk about luck

PostPosted: Sat February 06, 2016 12:18 am 
mXn

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
Kevin Davis wrote:

Jeez, talk about luck

SRSLY

Post subject: Re: Rank or Discuss your pre/post-show overall experiences
PostPosted: Sat February 06, 2016 12:22 am 
mXn

Seattle 1998 (Memorial Stadium at Seattle Center, 2 shows): Both shows kinda blend in to one for me. I pretty much went with the same friends to both. For one of them, I had an extra ticket that I simply could not pay someone to take. It was weird. I ended up giving it to a homeless guy near the venue on our way in. I hope he sold it for a few bucks or better yet, came in and saw the concert. Memorial stadium is a pretty large high school football stadium and they had these kinda plastic waffle-looking interlocking squares covering the field to protect it. Tons of people grabbed a square on the way out of the venue after the second night. I had one, security nabbed it from me, so I don't have it anymore.

PostPosted: Sat February 06, 2016 9:56 pm 
Future Drummer
 WWW  Profile

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
Kevin Davis wrote:

Jeez, talk about luck

Or stupidity :haha:

PostPosted: Mon February 22, 2016 4:38 am 
mXn

Seattle 2000 Key Arena: I have talked to and texted with multiple people about these shows and I simply cannot confirm which pre/post antics occurred in which year. All I know is that in 2000 I was still 20 and didn't have a fake ID so we must have gone to Floyd's (bar) pre-show in '02. What I do know for sure is that we all went to Dick's for cheeseburgers afterwards and what I also know for sure is that Lenny is about to attempt a joke involving the word dick.

PostPosted: Mon February 22, 2016 6:39 am 
Rank This Poster
 WWW  Profile

bammer, do you still have matt's 2000 kit?

PostPosted: Mon February 22, 2016 4:17 pm 
mXn

WtOB? wrote:
bammer, do you still have matt's 2000 kit?

Yes sir, I do.

I would have to be in some pretty dire straits to ever sell it ... or else be offered a huuuuge pile of cash for it.

PostPosted: Mon February 22, 2016 7:29 pm 
I Have A Third Nipple

Kevin Davis wrote:

These are the best nowadays. Ever since being stuck in the parking lot for hours after my first shows in '03, I've always shelled out extra cash for easy-out parking.

PostPosted: Mon February 22, 2016 7:36 pm 
The Master

Simple Torture wrote:
Kevin Davis wrote:

These are the best nowadays. Ever since being stuck in the parking lot for hours after my first shows in '03, I've always shelled out extra cash for easy-out parking.

Lol. We are old.

I remember the 03 shows, all the wonderfl road tripping with my buddy. We would polish of a few beers and a bottle of wine before the shows. Good stuff.

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Live