The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Live

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Rank or Discuss your pre/post-show overall experiences
PostPosted: Sat December 29, 2018 5:52 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

My first 2005 show was all anxiety and fear it wouldn’t be a good show. Seeing the band live after 14 years of wait was huge. I came across a lot of people from the skatepark , older folks all in the same state.

Both PJ20 nights were incredibly satisfying. Celebratory mood, filled with lots of memories..specially with temple of the dog playing.

And the show this year in Italy was special. Drove from Niza to Genova and then to pasiva listening to studio version I haven’t listened in a long time. The show was emotional. My 10th show.

PostPosted: Mon December 31, 2018 7:01 am 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

dimejinky99 wrote:
Touring generally all over Europe especially and seeing friends. Drinks before and after the shows. The shows are just kind of a bonus. Seeing pals you havent seen in a year or two is just really cool.

Dublin 06 very much stands out for me. But I think you weren't there or we didn't know you back then? It had pretty much the entire Across the Atlantic crew being rather drunk in the afternoon. Resulted in the show I had the most fun at.

PostPosted: Mon December 31, 2018 10:47 am 
what on earth am I talking about

Angus wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:
Touring generally all over Europe especially and seeing friends. Drinks before and after the shows. The shows are just kind of a bonus. Seeing pals you havent seen in a year or two is just really cool.

Dublin 06 very much stands out for me. But I think you weren't there or we didn't know you back then? It had pretty much the entire Across the Atlantic crew being rather drunk in the afternoon. Resulted in the show I had the most fun at.

I was at that one for sure. Was the pre drinks in buskers in temple bar?
I was in there shortly. Actually I remember maybe you or mirella started a thread about wheres good to meet up n myself n Randall were replying?

Still pissed off. I worked in the point at the time in the bar and we had no work that whole week and I somehow didn’t know pj had the place booked and were rehearsing there all week before the show. Could have easily gone along and watched any day. Or everyday:)
Ragin

PostPosted: Mon January 14, 2019 7:33 pm 
AnalLog

Camden 2006 - We saw 5/27 and had a decent time. I wasn't thrilled with the city, but the venue was decent, the crowd was iffy and the band was just okay. We had such an amazing time in 2005, this was a little bit of a let down.

The next night we decide to eat some mushrooms. We timed it right to be locked and loaded for My Morning Jacket. We happily slow walk the ticket line, get up to the scanner and.......there's a problem. I had accidentally purchased 4 tickets for 5/27 instead of 2 for 5/27 and 2 for 5/28. :shock: I am there trying to explain to the nice older lady how it's not a big deal and we can just go in with these. I quickly realize she has no control over this and I am feeling the pressure of a thousand people behind me wanting to scan their tickets and get inside. We walk out of line, my wife is pissed and shouting, "What the hell are we going to do now?!" I am really starting to feel things come on. My body is uncomfortable and I feel like I am going to throw up. I quickly imagine what it will be like to hang outside the venue and listen to a muted Pearl Jam. Then I get this feeling. Someone out here is going to give us tickets. I stop the first couple that walks buy and tell them our story. This ten clubber pulls out 2 tickets and says, my friends couldn't make it. You can have these. Sorry, they're row M.

Row M! We made it to our seats just in time for Ed and MMJ to start It Makes No Difference!

PostPosted: Mon January 14, 2019 10:16 pm 
AnalLog

On April 7, 2000 I was in college. My touring buddy (We'd been together to purchase No Code and Yield and seen 3 shows together) and college roommate were watching Letterman and he said, "Next Tuesday is my birthday and we are going to have Pearl Jam on to help celebrate." We were in Athens, GA and both thought, "We've got to go!" We spent the weekend figuring out how to get tickets. Five Horizons message board gave us the tip that because the people who get tickets never all show up, Letterman staffers give out tickets before show time. It was a 13 hour trip, so we decide to drive through the night on the 11th so we could spend the day in NYC on the 12th. We had no money for a hotel or any of those niceties.

A friend at school gave us some adderall to help with staying up. We drove through the night, ended up in Philadelphia around 5:00 AM. We found the art museum, ran up and down the "Rocky" steps and then cruised on to NYC. We hit up a record store, walked around the city (both of our first times) and hung around the Ed Sullivan Theater hoping to God that they really did give out tickets. We went to the Hello Deli and got our picture taken with Rupert Jee. While we were waiting, a lady with a clipboard came by and asked if we knew who the stage manager for Letterman was. "Biff Henderson!" We were in. We ended up in the first row and got to see the Grievance debut!

The drive back that night was really difficult. I started seeing things when we got into Virginia. We pulled over about an hour away from a college and slept for about 4 hours straight in a gas station parking lot.

PostPosted: Tue January 15, 2019 7:39 am 

Weirdest preshow one I had was 2011.
Got taken to Chicago to see ed and glen play 2 nights at the Chicago theatre.
I was persona non grata for even being there never mind passes n stuff, all cos battles I’d had with Beirman online (he started it. He actually did) but Glen brought me anyways. Sitting in his dressing room early afternoon he was asleep and a bit hungover and I’m just on my phone when ed appears at the door and yeah that’s a bit mad. What do you say? we do a non verbal ‘is he awake?’/‘no he’s just hungover, hang on’ so I wakes your man up and it’s grand. Had a proper intro and then basically stfu until spoken to. Got to watch him soundcheck from the side the next night. Not to forget my two boys play two brilliant gigs:)
Then after the second gig he took us to a mad party in some pub and had an all nighter. Funny bit is I still have no clue who chris chelios is but we sat and talked drunken shite all night in a corner and only later he told me it was lovely getting to just shoot the shit with no demands him / cos of who he is. I still don’t know who he is. He’s on a pj tour poster. Lovely fella though. Genuine. It was a wacky weird few days.

This is probably the most memorable pre and post show experience I have to hand

PostPosted: Tue January 15, 2019 3:41 pm 
AnalLog

I guess we lock the thread up now?

My story about the VFC tour closer in Kissimmee, standing awkwardly in a packed hotel room while 20 ten clubbers sing Alive at the top of their lungs, doesn't really meet the level just established by Dime. :lol: (That was my worst pre-show)

PostPosted: Tue January 15, 2019 3:43 pm 

That sounds like fun! I hope you were suitably drunk to cope with it :)

PostPosted: Tue January 15, 2019 5:05 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

Hatfield wrote:
I guess we lock the thread up now?

My story about the VFC tour closer in Kissimmee, standing awkwardly in a packed hotel room while 20 ten clubbers sing Alive at the top of their lungs (That was my worst pre-show)

I would be in jail for murder right now had I been there

PostPosted: Tue January 15, 2019 10:31 pm 
AnalLog

The best pre/post show experiences I had were the Canada 2005 shows. So many people went to 9/11-9/15 and it was a trip to hang out with the same folks for 4 shows in a row. Walking around Montreal, tailgating in parking lots, making signs, and listening to great music with these die hard fans felt more like the experiences I've had at Widespread Panic shows where you meet people and become friends, at least for the run of shows. I remember this one kid had called the Porch opener at Hamilton. We all figured they would come out with something big (6th show in 7 days) to get everyone going, including themselves. He called Porch and to be able to look a couple rows over and see him freaking out and jumping up and down added to the whole experience.

We hung out with a lot of those same people the next summer at San Diego, Santa Barbara, San Francisco and the Gorge.

PostPosted: Wed January 16, 2019 3:15 am 
mXn

dimejinky99 wrote:
I was persona non grata for even being there never mind passes n stuff, all cos battles I’d had with Beirman online (he started it. He actually did) but Glen brought me anyways. Sitting in his dressing room early afternoon he was asleep and a bit hungover and I’m just on my phone when ed appears at the door and yeah that’s a bit mad. What do you say? we do a non verbal ‘is he awake?’/‘no he’s just hungover, hang on’ so I wakes your man up and it’s grand. Had a proper intro and then basically stfu until spoken to. Got to watch him soundcheck from the side the next night. Not to forget my two boys play two brilliant gigs:)
Then after the second gig he took us to a mad party in some pub and had an all nighter. Funny bit is I still have no clue who chris chelios is but we sat and talked drunken shite all night in a corner and only later he told me it was lovely getting to just shoot the shit with no demands him / cos of who he is. I still don’t know who he is. He’s on a pj tour poster. Lovely fella though. Genuine. It was a wacky weird few days.

How long did the Pit website crash for after you told this story over there?

PostPosted: Wed January 16, 2019 9:18 am 

Bammer wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:

How long did the Pit website crash for after you told this story over there?

Never did. I’d left 10c around that time. It just wasn’t worth it anymore.

PostPosted: Sat January 19, 2019 6:17 pm 
A Return To Form

Reading 2004-tailgating at the garage next to the shitty arena....copss came up to us and asked us to please not piss in the stairwell, we hadn’t actually done so but clearly many had....an old guy walking around tried to bum a burger off of us, told him we’d trade him a cigar for a burger assuming we’d never see him again, he came back about an hour later with about five packs of cigarettes and other random assorted things to smoke. He earned that burger......got lost after the show trying to find the hotel.......now I live here and make the joke every time we pass that shitty hotel.

One of the Camden 2006 shows-again tailgating it got pretty nasty as it got closer to show time.....dudes were standing on cars firing empties at each other....buddy in our group bought a stolen ticket and sat in the car the whole show.

These stories are lame.

PostPosted: Sun January 20, 2019 7:09 am 
mXn

Mr.x wrote:
Reading 2004-tailgating at the garage next to the shitty arena....copss came up to us and asked us to please not piss in the stairwell, we hadn’t actually done so but clearly many had....an old guy walking around tried to bum a burger off of us, told him we’d trade him a cigar for a burger assuming we’d never see him again, he came back about an hour later with about five packs of cigarettes and other random assorted things to smoke. He earned that burger......got lost after the show trying to find the hotel.......now I live here and make the joke every time we pass that shitty hotel.

One of the Camden 2006 shows-again tailgating it got pretty nasty as it got closer to show time.....dudes were standing on cars firing empties at each other....buddy in our group bought a stolen ticket and sat in the car the whole show.

These stories are lame.

Where was the burger from?

PostPosted: Sun January 20, 2019 7:29 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

It was mid August, 2018. I had flown to Salt Lake City with my girlfriend, and two friends, Doc and Chloe. We spent a couple of days in the city, then started our two day drive to Missoula. The night before the show, we stayed an hour north, in the mountains. We laid on the ground and watched a meteor shower that night. On our way into town the next day, we stopped at some buddhist grounds to re center and get right. We arrived in to downtown Missoula and met up at a dive bar with strat and his girl, Trag, snatcher, and bammer. Everyone was really nice and gracious, especially to my girlfriend and strat's girl, as they were the RM "outsiders". The four of us met up with all of them in the back of the pit at the show. Although the opener was a did 6, it turned out to be a great night, peaking for me with Pilate and Fatal. Also, those guys got the pleasure of witnessing my disappointment when IMT came on. Good times, it seems so long ago

PostPosted: Thu January 24, 2019 7:19 am 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

dimejinky99 wrote:
Angus wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:

I was in there shortly. Actually I remember maybe you or mirella started a thread about wheres good to meet up n myself n Randall were replying?

Still pissed off. I worked in the point at the time in the bar and we had no work that whole week and I somehow didn’t know pj had the place booked and were rehearsing there all week before the show. Could have easily gone along and watched any day. Or everyday:)
Ragin

Aaah sorry mate, I totally couldn't remember. Buskers rings a bell indeed. :)

Boys are back in town that night is one of my favourite PJ memories. Might not have been played that good, might not sound too good on the bootleg, but that place pretty much erupted. So awesome.

PostPosted: Thu January 24, 2019 12:38 pm 

Angus wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:
Angus wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:

Ragin

Aaah sorry mate, I totally couldn't remember. Buskers rings a bell indeed. :)

Boys are back in town that night is one of my favourite PJ memories. Might not have been played that good, might not sound too good on the bootleg, but that place pretty much erupted. So awesome.

I think it sounded brilliant. Only problem being they didn’t finish it.

PostPosted: Fri February 14, 2020 6:18 am 
mXn

With all the lurkers in town I’d like to fire this thread back up again

PostPosted: Fri February 14, 2020 1:41 pm 

Bammer wrote:

Are we gonna create another pre-show memory in San Diego, bammer?

PostPosted: Fri February 14, 2020 3:07 pm 
mXn

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
Bammer wrote:

Are we gonna create another pre-show memory in San Diego, bammer?

The answer might surprise you

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Live