The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Live

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 503 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2016-08-20: Chicago, Illinois
PostPosted: Sun August 21, 2016 11:23 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

CopperTom wrote:
Birds in Hell wrote:
Does anyone actually go to a Pearl Jam show hoping to hear them play songs by Pink Floyd and Cheap Trick?

Seven covers and nothing off of No Code - I mean, seriously.

Yes. They're sickees if you ask me.

And no Riot Act. Playing at least 1 song from each album shouldn't be such a challenge.

bigger sickees than the people that wear a shirt, bring a sign, or use a kid hoping to get noticed by band members? quite possibly the worst crowd I've ever seen...send these people to an island somewhere. oh and to the drunk fat girl in GA with the "it doesn't get any vedder than this" tshirt...kill yourself

PostPosted: Sun August 21, 2016 11:27 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

spike wrote:
brilliant covers have always been a big part of pearl jam's identity - they really enjoy doing them to honor their heroes and the fan base loves them - so multiple covers showing up in a set makes sense to me. early on, it was a way to beef up their set, but i don't think it's them not having confidence in their own catalog anymore; it's just tradition.

SEVEN?!?

PostPosted: Sun August 21, 2016 11:39 pm 
The Master

theplatypus wrote:
spike wrote:
brilliant covers have always been a big part of pearl jam's identity - they really enjoy doing them to honor their heroes and the fan base loves them - so multiple covers showing up in a set makes sense to me. early on, it was a way to beef up their set, but i don't think it's them not having confidence in their own catalog anymore; it's just tradition.

SEVEN?!?

Yeah, but at least two of them were the best part of the show anyway.

PostPosted: Sun August 21, 2016 11:45 pm 
Champion of RM

tooch wrote:
CopperTom wrote:
Birds in Hell wrote:
Does anyone actually go to a Pearl Jam show hoping to hear them play songs by Pink Floyd and Cheap Trick?

And no Riot Act. Playing at least 1 song from each album shouldn't be such a challenge.

bigger sickees than the people that wear a shirt, bring a sign, or use a kid hoping to get noticed by band members? quite possibly the worst crowd I've ever seen...send these people to an island somewhere. oh and to the drunk fat girl in GA with the "it doesn't get any vedder than this" tshirt...kill yourself

Parents who use children as pawns should be reported to Children and Youth Services. The few children I saw last night actually looked like they were having fun.

PostPosted: Sun August 21, 2016 11:49 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

Anyone else get annoyed that they act like RITFW is their song now? Probably an irrational hatred, but it really pisses me off.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Sun August 21, 2016 11:53 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

Pearl Jam took "Rocking in the Free World" over from Neil Young like Elvis Costello hijacked "What's So Funny About Peace Love and Understanding" from Nick Lowe. It's basically theirs now.

PostPosted: Sun August 21, 2016 11:55 pm 
10Club Complaint Department

BurtReynolds wrote:
Anyone else get annoyed that they act like RITFW is their song now? Probably an irrational hatred, but it really pisses me off.

Well, Ed's pretty much made up his own words to the verses at this point...

PostPosted: Sun August 21, 2016 11:59 pm 
tl;dr

I'm taking my four kids with me tomorrow -- we're all going to form a five-person tall tower by sitting on each other's shoulders, the kid second from top in a shirt that says "Pearl Jam," third from top directly below him in a shirt that says "Mookie Blaylock," the fourth directly on my shoulders in a shirt that says "Temple of the Dog," and I will be wearing a shirt that says "The Ashes of Mother Love Bone." The baby will be on top holding a piece of posterboard that says PLAY SOME FUCKING RARITIES OR I'LL THROW MY SHIT-FILLED DIAPER AT YOUR DUMB-ASSED KEYBOARDIST.

We're in the upper balcony so hopefully the band notices.

Last edited by Kevin Davis on Mon August 22, 2016 12:02 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon August 22, 2016 12:01 am 
tl;dr

theplatypus wrote:
Pearl Jam took "Rocking in the Free World" over from Neil Young like Elvis Costello hijacked "What's So Funny About Peace Love and Understanding" from Nick Lowe. It's basically theirs now.

I think this is only the case for people who know PJ but not Neil. I think most average rock listeners still know it as Neil's song.

PostPosted: Mon August 22, 2016 12:06 am 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

I should've probably said: "they think it's theirs now."

PostPosted: Mon August 22, 2016 12:06 am 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

Kevin Davis wrote:
I'm taking my four kids with me tomorrow -- we're all going to form a five-person tall tower by sitting on each other's shoulders, the kid second from top in a shirt that says "Pearl Jam," third from top directly below him in a shirt that says "Mookie Blaylock," the fourth directly on my shoulders in a shirt that says "Temple of the Dog," and I will be wearing a shirt that says "The Ashes of Mother Love Bone." The baby will be on top holding a piece of posterboard that says PLAY SOME FUCKING RARITIES OR I'LL THROW MY SHIT-FILLED DIAPER AT YOUR DUMB-ASSED KEYBOARDIST.

If one of them dies maybe you'll get to hear Come Back.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Mon August 22, 2016 12:08 am 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

MODS?!?

PostPosted: Mon August 22, 2016 12:10 am 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

CopperTom wrote:
tooch wrote:
CopperTom wrote:
Birds in Hell wrote:

Parents who use children as pawns should be reported to Children and Youth Services. The few children I saw last night actually looked like they were having fun.

My kids sure did.

PostPosted: Mon August 22, 2016 12:13 am 

theplatypus wrote:
MODS?!?

just trying to look on the bright side. I'm trying to be more positive.

PostPosted: Mon August 22, 2016 12:23 am 
Champion of RM

BurtReynolds wrote:
Kevin Davis wrote:

If one of them dies maybe you'll get to hear Come Back.

AL

PostPosted: Mon August 22, 2016 12:24 am 
tl;dr

theplatypus wrote:
MODS?!?

Don't you have a blog to write?

PostPosted: Mon August 22, 2016 12:50 am 
TIER 1 Essential Critical Infrastructure Worker

cutuphalfdead wrote:
give me Timeless Melody any day.

Seven is a lot of covers. At least Surrender is new this year & a fun song. But I agree, Timeless Melody has been favorite of their covers.

PostPosted: Mon August 22, 2016 12:54 am 
I Have A Third Nipple

The "covers that are barely covers" for me are: RITFW, Crazy Mary, Crown of Thorns, and Sonic Reducer. I Am A Patriot is juuuust on the outside looking in, but squeezed out because they just reworked it.

PostPosted: Mon August 22, 2016 1:24 am 
10Club Complaint Department

Simple Torture wrote:
The "covers that are barely covers" for me are: RITFW, Crazy Mary, Crown of Thorns, and Sonic Reducer. I Am A Patriot is juuuust on the outside looking in, but squeezed out because they just reworked it.

The Mirrorball songs are kind-of-but-not covers for me, eg. Act of Love and Throw Your Hatred Down.

PostPosted: Mon August 22, 2016 1:31 am 
Banned from the Pit

cutuphalfdead wrote:
Kevin Davis wrote:
wease wrote:
Why are you guys so down on them doing covers? It's not like they've just started doing them. They've been part of their shows from damn near the beginning.

There are too many of them, they're all from the same boring classic-rock hit parade, and they're generally not very good.

Pretty much every cover they've added in the last decade or so has been terrible. Fuck the Comfortably Numbs and All Along the Watchtowers of the world, give me Timeless Melody any day.

Aint Talkin Bout Love was an awesome one. Mike got to show off and the randomness of it was fun. Some of the others have just ok though.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 503 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Live