The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Live

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 174 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2016-04-16: Greenville, South Carolina
PostPosted: Sun April 17, 2016 9:17 pm 
Future Drummer

Hey, I hate reading stuff like that, especially considering how far you traveled. I kinda think the whole album thing is a novelty myself. But, the crowds at arenas are very hit or miss. Least you kept your cool and didn't start some shit. I know I would have. Anyway, good luck at Hampton, Sounds like a fun venue.

Have you considered stacking papers and getting paid?

PostPosted: Sun April 17, 2016 10:10 pm 
Broken Tamborine

super nintendo chalmers wrote:
Hey, I hate reading stuff like that, especially considering how far you traveled. I kinda think the whole album thing is a novelty myself. But, the crowds at arenas are very hit or miss. Least you kept your cool and didn't start some shit. I know I would have. Anyway, good luck at Hampton, Sounds like a fun venue.

Come to think of it...other than two dudes by us in Jacksonville the fans around me were kind of lame too at all the Florida shows. Last time I checked we pay to hear some great music and have a good time. I feel like my mom would have appreciated these performances more than the fans around me and she the only music she listens to is George Straight. (He's a country guy in case you're wondering)

PostPosted: Sun April 17, 2016 10:58 pm 
The Master

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
So here it goes:

Spent a couple hours and had dinner with Doc and Chloe before the show. We've become friends outside of RM and they are just great people.

Got to my seat and it was on the side of the stage on mike's side. Only thing between me and the stage was the floor where some techs were and mike's wife and kids. The seat alone made the show great for me because not only did I get to see the band, but a majority of the crowd too. See pic in spoiler.

Spoiler: show

Opening with Corduroy was fun, then the whole album was just amazing. That record has some great runs and it really translated well to a live show. Go->Animal is fantastic and I was surprised at how much I enjoyed Glorified G and Dissent. W.M.A. was just incredible. I thought they nailed it. Leash was good, Ed went into the crowd right by Doc and Chloe.

The Lightning Bolt songs that came next were what they were. Band didn't seem into them as much but the crowd seemed to like them. Sirens got a big cheer (ugh).

After Future Days, The 1st encore was the most intense of the show, and the most fun. Porch had the place absolutely rocking.

Second encore was great too. I love Comatose live, and I finally got to see Baba instead of The Real Me.

The crowd was nuts. Was really surprised at how a crowd in Greenville, SC was all in for all the songs, even the more obscure ones.

This was probably the most unique Pearl Jam experience I've ever had, because of the seats, the setlist, and the crowd. Also probably one of my favorite. I don't think Raleigh and Columbia later this week will live up to this one.

I'm glad you enjoyed yourself after we had to listen all week that you wouldn't.

PostPosted: Sun April 17, 2016 11:21 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

Damn

PostPosted: Mon April 18, 2016 12:18 am 
Rank This Poster

Cool show. I was at the No Code and Yield shows. It's unique to hear an entire album, for sure, but unless you're chasing a song off of it, it does take a little fun out of it, in a way. My favorite part of the experience was that the friend I was with was getting to see songs he'd wanted to see for so long.

I guess if I could hear a full album it would be Vitalogy just to see how they do Aye Davanita. Otherwise, I'm not ashamed to admit it - I'd like to see Backspacer.

PostPosted: Mon April 18, 2016 12:45 am 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

For a minute there i thought we were going to get vs. and LB

PostPosted: Mon April 18, 2016 12:51 am 
Major Dude

That's what made it so cool for me. Not only did I finally get WMA, I got Indifference for the first time since March, 1994. I'd waited 22 years for those 2.

In all honesty, I was a bit let down after Vs. the followed it with half the songs from Lightning Bolt and 90% of those were ones I don't like. I've listened to Future Days so seldom that it was the only time I've ever listened to the whole song from start to finish. I didn't even recognize it because I always skip it! I'm not a Pink Floyd fan at all, but CN was ok. Could've done without Last Kiss and other than that and GtF the encores were great.

All in all, had a fantastic time, and it was a great show to call my 15th. Now, just 9 more days until #16 in Lexington.

Oh, and I got to wave to Ruddo.

PostPosted: Mon April 18, 2016 12:51 am 
Major Dude

E.H. Ruddock wrote:

I know!

PostPosted: Mon April 18, 2016 1:15 am 
The Master

E.H. Ruddock wrote:

Coming To Kardashian-Barclays Center, 2029!!!

PostPosted: Mon April 18, 2016 4:11 am 
Jeff's Infallible Pendulum

I'm not a VS guy but I do like this seemingly spontaneous approach to playing full albums in a set. I look forward to hearing the boot. Interesting to hear the comments about the Lightening Bold songs feeling a bit tired compared to the 20 year old material :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Mon April 18, 2016 5:09 am 
mXn

This is probably the most jealous I have ever been after reading a setlist.

I'm taking solace in the fact that I didn't have to visit SC though 8-)

PostPosted: Mon April 18, 2016 12:28 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

tyweed wrote:
This is my write-up of the show that I posted to the Official PJ Forum this morning amongst the uniformly rave reviews from other people who attended the Greenville show --

Disclaimer: Turd in the Punchbowl alert. Buzzkill Central. Pleading guilty now. My girlfriend and I flew from San Francisco for the Greenville and Hampton shows, and while we had a pretty good time last night, I can't say we were blown away. First and foremost, we were surrounded by some pretty challenging fans -- equal parts obnoxious, indifferent and clueless. Drunk bros talking to each other the entire time, dipping and knocking over their spit cups, asking people for weed, etc. Dude next to me was a stone cold monolith. Tried to engage him in conversation, and he was as matter of fact as a fucking tax return. He didn't move, cheer, clap or even say one word to his lady friend who probably struggled to see the stage over his hulking frame. Dude behind me brushed the back of my head every time he clapped and never noticed. Lady next to my girl couldn't manage to stay in front of her seat and kept bumping into her while basically having no reaction to the show until "Better Man." Btw, this was in the Ten Club section -- not even halfway back and about 14 rows up -- really good seats. Anyway, it was my 10th show and the first one that was affected so significantly by other fans. I usually find PJ fans to be friendly and passionate, but I don't know what was up with these folks. It made enjoying the show pretty tough. Hearing "Vs." in order was cool, but more like a novelty for me, personally. Once "Daughter" kicked in, I realized what they were doing. Again, cool, but I think they play most of the Vs. songs pretty frequently, and knowing what they were going to play next took the surprise element out of the show, which is one of the best parts of attending PJ shows for me. Plus, the sound was pretty underwhelming for a good portion of the show. I'm really particular about this kind of thing, so I should probably just STFU, but I do think the mix was a bit muddy for awhile; hard to hear some of the individual parts.

(I know. Shut up already.)

And now for the positive: Highlights of the "Vs" set: 'RVM" was insane, and hearing "W.M.A." in its entirety rather than as a tag on "Daughter" was awesome. Ed really brought it on "Blood" -- I'm shocked he can still push his voice that hard. "Present Tense" was absolutely fantastic. Definitely the highlight for me. "Swallowed Whole" was a treat. Excellent version of "Comfortably Numb" -- surprised how much I enjoyed that. I'd rank "Future Days" as one of my least favorite PJ songs, but last night's version was really nice. Something about the arrangement and the way Ed changed the vocal melody significantly improved on the original. "Nothingman" and "Spin the Black Circle" were great as well. Overall, (aside from my immediate neighbors, obviously) the crowd was really, really good. Great energy. Totally fired up. I really enjoyed watching the pit and seeing the reactions of some of the folks up front on the big screen. A young lady holding up a sign about the mass shootings at Virginia Tech was absolutely losing it during "Present Tense."

Trying not to have expectations for Hampton regarding the setlists and the fans, but I hope it's just a damn good show with some damn good people. Thanks for enduring this post. Purged.

Chloe and i had a similar experience with the crowd, while overall they were amazingly loud and into the show, it seemed like we were stuck dealing with people constantly going to get more beer and then not being able to find there spot they would just stop in front of us and croud us and make us fairly uncomfortable, expecially when they were working on their 6th beer even though 2 should have probably been their limit. It really took away from the great show that was going on, which is a shame, i hate to be one of those people because im all for people having a good time, ut when everyone is gonna be packed into a small area and the arena itself being pretty small to try and hold 13k + people, then they should really limit the alcohol and even before that the people themselves should try their best to understand that some people need just a bit of personal space.

Aside from all that it was a great show, the crowd was insanely loud for most of the show and the band was extremely into it, already 2 days later im forgetting the negatives and rememberi9only the cool stuff, and cant wait to see what tonight is like, i just really hope we are around better fans.

PostPosted: Mon April 18, 2016 12:36 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Oh yeah, for a little bit of rm history, one of the guys that kept stoping near us was the internet famous PJEV2003 and to my surprise he does own a shirt :lol:

PostPosted: Mon April 18, 2016 12:56 pm 
Major Dude

That's hilarious!

PostPosted: Mon April 18, 2016 1:50 pm 
Broken Tamborine

I think if i was not there and just went by the set list i would have thought meh
I like VS a lot, but they played quite a few Lightening Bolt songs and i would say that is my least favorite album. I think my least favorite song to hear live is Last Kiss. Also I like Baba but again its one of my favorite covers they do. Plus even STBC is another one of my least favorite pearl jam tunes.

That said the band seemed to be in a good mood with lots of energy. The crowd around me were also very into it. The show was just a lot of fun even though not all the songs were my favorites i had a blast through all of them. Easily one of the most fun times i've had at any show by any band.

PostPosted: Mon April 18, 2016 1:55 pm 

Mike was insane this show. So much energy

PostPosted: Mon April 18, 2016 2:48 pm 
The Master

Dr. Van Nostrand wrote:
tyweed wrote:
This is my write-up of the show that I posted to the Official PJ Forum this morning amongst the uniformly rave reviews from other people who attended the Greenville show --

Disclaimer: Turd in the Punchbowl alert. Buzzkill Central. Pleading guilty now. My girlfriend and I flew from San Francisco for the Greenville and Hampton shows, and while we had a pretty good time last night, I can't say we were blown away. First and foremost, we were surrounded by some pretty challenging fans -- equal parts obnoxious, indifferent and clueless. Drunk bros talking to each other the entire time, dipping and knocking over their spit cups, asking people for weed, etc. Dude next to me was a stone cold monolith. Tried to engage him in conversation, and he was as matter of fact as a fucking tax return. He didn't move, cheer, clap or even say one word to his lady friend who probably struggled to see the stage over his hulking frame. Dude behind me brushed the back of my head every time he clapped and never noticed. Lady next to my girl couldn't manage to stay in front of her seat and kept bumping into her while basically having no reaction to the show until "Better Man." Btw, this was in the Ten Club section -- not even halfway back and about 14 rows up -- really good seats. Anyway, it was my 10th show and the first one that was affected so significantly by other fans. I usually find PJ fans to be friendly and passionate, but I don't know what was up with these folks. It made enjoying the show pretty tough. Hearing "Vs." in order was cool, but more like a novelty for me, personally. Once "Daughter" kicked in, I realized what they were doing. Again, cool, but I think they play most of the Vs. songs pretty frequently, and knowing what they were going to play next took the surprise element out of the show, which is one of the best parts of attending PJ shows for me. Plus, the sound was pretty underwhelming for a good portion of the show. I'm really particular about this kind of thing, so I should probably just STFU, but I do think the mix was a bit muddy for awhile; hard to hear some of the individual parts.

And now for the positive: Highlights of the "Vs" set: 'RVM" was insane, and hearing "W.M.A." in its entirety rather than as a tag on "Daughter" was awesome. Ed really brought it on "Blood" -- I'm shocked he can still push his voice that hard. "Present Tense" was absolutely fantastic. Definitely the highlight for me. "Swallowed Whole" was a treat. Excellent version of "Comfortably Numb" -- surprised how much I enjoyed that. I'd rank "Future Days" as one of my least favorite PJ songs, but last night's version was really nice. Something about the arrangement and the way Ed changed the vocal melody significantly improved on the original. "Nothingman" and "Spin the Black Circle" were great as well. Overall, (aside from my immediate neighbors, obviously) the crowd was really, really good. Great energy. Totally fired up. I really enjoyed watching the pit and seeing the reactions of some of the folks up front on the big screen. A young lady holding up a sign about the mass shootings at Virginia Tech was absolutely losing it during "Present Tense."

Trying not to have expectations for Hampton regarding the setlists and the fans, but I hope it's just a damn good show with some damn good people. Thanks for enduring this post. Purged.

Chloe and i had a similar experience with the crowd, while overall they were amazingly loud and into the show, it seemed like we were stuck dealing with people constantly going to get more beer and then not being able to find there spot they would just stop in front of us and croud us and make us fairly uncomfortable, expecially when they were working on their 6th beer even though 2 should have probably been their limit. It really took away from the great show that was going on, which is a shame, i hate to be one of those people because im all for people having a good time, ut when everyone is gonna be packed into a small area and the arena itself being pretty small to try and hold 13k + people, then they should really limit the alcohol and even before that the people themselves should try their best to understand that some people need just a bit of personal space.

Aside from all that it was a great show, the crowd was insanely loud for most of the show and the band was extremely into it, already 2 days later im forgetting the negatives and rememberi9only the cool stuff, and cant wait to see what tonight is like, i just really hope we are around better fans.

probably shouldn't go for GA floor anymore, old timer.

PostPosted: Mon April 18, 2016 2:56 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

spike wrote:
Dr. Van Nostrand wrote:
tyweed wrote:

You might be right, and they really shrunk the size of the pit from the lincoln and memphis shows in 14 so there wasnt any free space at all. The bad thing is that neither of our fan club numbers are great so reserved might get us the floor behind ga which is worse. We are considering trying our luck with the public sale next time so we can try to pick our seats. Man it sucks getting old :(

PostPosted: Mon April 18, 2016 3:01 pm 
The Master

Dr. Van Nostrand wrote:
spike wrote:
Dr. Van Nostrand wrote:
tyweed wrote:

You might be right, and they really shrunk the size of the pit from the lincoln and memphis shows in 14 so there wasnt any free space at all. The bad thing is that neither of our fan club numbers are great so reserved might get us the floor behind ga which is worse. We are considering trying our luck with the public sale next time so we can try to pick our seats. Man it sucks getting old :(

there's still hope. we had GA floor to U2 last summer, and they did a great job of not overcrowding it. plenty of personal space considering the setting.

PostPosted: Mon April 18, 2016 3:01 pm 

Dr. Van Nostrand wrote:

Doc, you saw where I was. That was a public sale ticket and it may very well have been the best seat I've ever had at a PJ show. I'm doing Ten Club in Raleigh and public sale again in Columbia. If the Raleigh seats are crap it may very well be what pushes me to not renew my membership.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 174 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Live