The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Live

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 256 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: The all-new rank your shows thread
PostPosted: Thu October 23, 2014 2:24 am 
AnalLog

Birds in Hell wrote:
matt reeder wrote:
warehouse wrote:
matt reeder wrote:
CopperTom wrote:
It's crazy that Portland 13 is ranked higher than your Spectrum show. Crazy.

I hated that Spectrum show. I hated the crowd, I hated the setlist, I hated how drunk Ed was and I hated the city. I had a lot more fun at the Portland show last fall than I had at the Spectrum, and with the added benefit that I could take the bus home and be back by midnight without legions of drunken assholes from New Jersey hailing cabs while wandering out into traffic. And I liked the setlist better. And Ed sounded a hell of a lot better, which is almost inexplicable.

did your dog die while you were in philly or something?

No, I just hated everything about that weekend other than the fact I got to spend it with my best friend. Philadelphia might be the anti-Portland. It would have been okay had I liked the show, but man...I really hated that show.

This reminds me of how I felt about the 2014 Adelaide show, I've had more enjoyable days at work. I still wish I hadn't gone.

The band's performance was actually relatively good, it's one of the stronger shows from the festival run, but it was a terrible day. Horrendous weather, shitty bands and some awful Pearl Jam fans. Bad times.

I won my trip to Philadelphia and that's how I wound up there. The extenuating circumstances of that show had a lot to do with why I didn't enjoy it. I just wish I would have gone to Philly III too, but I was strapped for cash and my plane landed like 2 hours before show time. That was cherry on the turd sundae that was my weekend in Philly.

The flip side of this is Gorge 1 in 2006. That night was magic, and not all of it really shows up in the bootleg.

If I ever travel for a show again it's going to be Europe, or if that isn't possible, Vancouver.

Last edited by matt reeder on Thu October 23, 2014 3:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu October 23, 2014 3:08 am 
Poster of the Year

CopperTom wrote:

No it isn't. The Spectrum shows sucked.

PostPosted: Thu October 23, 2014 3:22 am 
Champion of RM

cutuphalfdead wrote:
CopperTom wrote:

Really? I never knew you didn't like those shows. I wish you posted your dislike for them about 1,000 times in the past 5 years.

that Portland show ain't a beauty queen either.

PostPosted: Thu October 23, 2014 3:29 am 
AnalLog

CopperTom wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
CopperTom wrote:

Really? I never knew you didn't like those shows. I wish you posted your dislike for them about 1,000 times in the past 5 years.

Since everybody else who has listened to the Portland show seems to really like it, I think your distaste for it is probably in the minority. In all honesty, I listened to it the other day and the encores aren't all that great save for "All Those Yesterdays" (which isn't very tight either, but it's always welcome) and "Rockin' in the Free World". But the main set just slays, with the Interstellar > Corduroy > Lightning Bolt > Mind Your Manners > Animal > Deep run just outstanding. They were really into it that night, and it showed.

PostPosted: Thu October 23, 2014 3:54 am 
Champion of RM

matt reeder wrote:
CopperTom wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
CopperTom wrote:

Since everybody else who has listened to the Portland show seems to really like it, I think your distaste for it is probably in the minority. In all honesty, I listened to it the other day and the encores aren't all that great save for "All Those Yesterdays" (which isn't very tight either, but it's always welcome) and "Rockin' in the Free World". But the main set just slays, with the Interstellar > Corduroy > Lightning Bolt > Mind Your Manners > Animal > Deep run just outstanding. They were really into it that night, and it showed.

Fair enough, it is the only 2013 show where I didn't agree with the consensus more or less.

PostPosted: Thu October 23, 2014 4:06 am 
Future Drummer

Birds in Hell wrote:
hlniv wrote:
8. 7/23/06 - Gorge II - Dirty Frank!

Not to nitpick but Dirty Frank was played at the first Gorge show (your no. 1).

So it seems. Hmm. Memory ain't what it used to be in my advanced age.

Let's go refresh my memory...

...Little Wing was cool. They teased it the night before.

PostPosted: Thu October 23, 2014 4:09 am 
Future Drummer

Lament wrote:
I think my bottom five would probably be Wrigley, Tampa 08, West Palm Beach 08, DC 10, and maybe that 06 Camden show. I wasn't really impressed with either of the Chicago shows in 2009, now that I think about it.

Wrigley and one of the Chicago 2009 shows are both in my top ten.

You're weird.

PostPosted: Thu October 23, 2014 4:37 am 
AnalLog

hlniv wrote:
Lament wrote:
I think my bottom five would probably be Wrigley, Tampa 08, West Palm Beach 08, DC 10, and maybe that 06 Camden show. I wasn't really impressed with either of the Chicago shows in 2009, now that I think about it.

Wrigley and one of the Chicago 2009 shows are both in my top ten.

You're weird.

I think that's part of what makes these sorts of threads interesting. There are very few shows that are consensus classics, and the ones that are tend to be in the "Best shows ever" category.

PostPosted: Thu October 23, 2014 12:36 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

04/23/03 - University of Illinois Assembly Center: Champaign, IL
- Just an incredible, incredible experience. Boot does not do it justice in any way, shape, or form.
06/29/98 - United Center: Chicago, IL
06/22/03 - Verizon Wireless Music Center: Noblesville, IN
- Ed was in a pissy mood, which made for some pretty passionate performances (Gimme Some Truth)
5/9/2010- Cleveland
10/02/04 - Sports Arena: Toledo, OH
06/18/07 - Wembley Arena, London, England
09/11/05 - Memorial Auditorium, Kitchener, ON, Canada
- This show is way over-rated. Sloppy as hell.
08/18/00 - Deer Creek Music Center: Noblesville, IN
- This one is the opposite of the 2003 champaign show...very nice boot, but kind of "blah" being there.
05/17/06 - United Center, Chicago, IL, USA
06/25/2008 – Madison Square Garden, New York City
- Both of these shows kind of stunk.

PostPosted: Thu October 23, 2014 2:37 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

25/ 11/2005 - Buenos Aires
4/10/2009 -ACL
4/9/2011 Alpine Valley
3/9/2011 Alpine Valley
6/4/2013 Santiago
3/4/2013 Buenos Aires
26/11/2005 Buenos Aires
13/11/2011 Buenos Aires

PostPosted: Thu October 23, 2014 2:45 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Birds in Hell wrote:
matt reeder wrote:
warehouse wrote:
matt reeder wrote:
CopperTom wrote:

I hated that Spectrum show. I hated the crowd, I hated the setlist, I hated how drunk Ed was and I hated the city. I had a lot more fun at the Portland show last fall than I had at the Spectrum, and with the added benefit that I could take the bus home and be back by midnight without legions of drunken assholes from New Jersey hailing cabs while wandering out into traffic. And I liked the setlist better. And Ed sounded a hell of a lot better, which is almost inexplicable.

No, I just hated everything about that weekend other than the fact I got to spend it with my best friend. Philadelphia might be the anti-Portland. It would have been okay had I liked the show, but man...I really hated that show.

This reminds me of how I felt about the 2014 Adelaide show, I've had more enjoyable days at work. I still wish I hadn't gone.

The band's performance was actually relatively good, it's one of the stronger shows from the festival run, but it was a terrible day. Horrendous weather, shitty bands and some awful Pearl Jam fans. Bad times.

That's kind of how I felt about the EV solo show I saw. The performance was pretty good, but the people there basically ruined the show for me.

PostPosted: Thu October 23, 2014 2:56 pm 
Rank This Poster

numbers wrote:
Birds in Hell wrote:
matt reeder wrote:
warehouse wrote:
matt reeder wrote:
CopperTom wrote:

That's kind of how I felt about the EV solo show I saw. The performance was pretty good, but the people there basically ruined the show for me.

As many dude bros as there are at PJ shows (hell, any show really) I bet it was really bad for an EV solo show.

PostPosted: Thu October 23, 2014 2:57 pm 
Rank This Poster

track11 wrote:
- Just an incredible, incredible experience. Boot does not do it justice in any way, shape, or form.

And I love that boot so I'm sure being there was bonkers

PostPosted: Thu October 23, 2014 3:05 pm 
AnalLog

BigRedLedbetter wrote:
track11 wrote:

And I love that boot so I'm sure being there was bonkers

It was. The place had a collective orgasm during Alive and Baba O'Riley.

PostPosted: Thu October 23, 2014 4:22 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

BigRedLedbetter wrote:
numbers wrote:
Birds in Hell wrote:
matt reeder wrote:
warehouse wrote:
matt reeder wrote:
CopperTom wrote:

As many dude bros as there are at PJ shows (hell, any show really) I bet it was really bad for an EV solo show.

Yeah, and tbh, the girls were even worse. It was loaded with the psycho stalker types.

PostPosted: Thu October 23, 2014 5:05 pm 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

Boston 2 2000
Boston 1 2000
Philly 2005
Boston 2 2003
Boston 2010
Hartford 2013
Boston 2 2004
Hartford 1998
Boston 2010
Boston 1 2008
Boston 3 2003 (I missed the PJ pre-set)
Boston 1 2003
Philly 2 2006
Boston 2 2008
Boston 1 2004

PostPosted: Thu October 23, 2014 5:19 pm 
Rank This Poster

numbers wrote:
BigRedLedbetter wrote:
numbers wrote:
Birds in Hell wrote:
matt reeder wrote:
warehouse wrote:
matt reeder wrote:
CopperTom wrote:

Yeah, and tbh, the girls were even worse. It was loaded with the psycho stalker types.

That is worse. Yikes. I did not see too many ladies at the PJ show I went to two weeks ago. Is that a common thing? Mostly bros?

PostPosted: Thu October 23, 2014 5:36 pm 
AnalLog

1. Showbox 12-6-2002 Nothing will top the small club experience, 10 feet from the stage after winning tickets outside from 107.7 The End in a PJ trivia contest. Also my head is prominently featured in the DVD.

2. Gorge I 7-22-2006

3. Santa Barbara Bowl 10-28-2003 Temple of the Dog + Jack Irons!

4. Portland 7-20-2006 Sleater-Kinney!

5. San Francisco III 7-18-2006

6. Portland 11-29-2013 Old songs like Deep, STBC, Animal, Rats, etc. fucking ripped that night

7. Gorge 9-1-2005

8. Santa Barbara Bowl 7-13-2006 Great sit-down start with HTI & Waiting on a Friend. This venue is brilliant

9. Gorge II 7-23-2006 Little Wing & a lot of other firsts for me

10. Vancouver 9-2-2005

The Rest
Ridgefield (Portland) 9-26-2009
San Diego 6-5-2003 First Arc!
San Francisco I 7-15-2006
Irvine II 6-3-2003 Jack Irons!
Irvine I 6-2-2003
Seattle I 9-21-2009 Front row via 10c lottery
Vegas 6-6-2003 Heart!
Seattle II 12-9-2002
Seattle II 9-22-2009
Seattle I 12-8-2002
San Francisco II 7-16-2006
Mountain View 6-1-2003

This doesn't include all the Bridge School shows, 2001 is definitely a PJ highlight for me though

PostPosted: Thu October 23, 2014 5:44 pm 
Future Drummer

Guys, I've been to 30 shows, this is gonna take me forever to do a write up.

PostPosted: Thu October 23, 2014 6:11 pm 
Poster of the Year

Captain Termite wrote:
Boston 2 2000
Boston 1 2000

You have these out of order.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 256 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Live