The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Live

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 256 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: The all-new rank your shows thread
PostPosted: Thu October 23, 2014 6:16 pm 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

cutuphalfdead wrote:
Captain Termite wrote:
Boston 2 2000
Boston 1 2000

You have these out of order.
I might.

I still listen to parts of those shows all the time.

PostPosted: Thu October 23, 2014 8:04 pm 
Broken Tamborine

I've seen 18, but none pre-2000.

1. Philly '05
2. San Fran '06
3. Moline '14

-the other 14 shows-

Wrigley '13

PostPosted: Thu October 23, 2014 8:19 pm 
Rank This Poster

swan wrote:
1. Showbox 12-6-2002 Nothing will top the small club experience, 10 feet from the stage after winning tickets outside from 107.7 The End in a PJ trivia contest. Also my head is prominently featured in the DVD.

I just bought this off amazon. It arrived today. Excited to watch it now.

PostPosted: Thu October 23, 2014 10:49 pm 
Broken Tamborine

BigRedLedbetter wrote:
swan wrote:
1. Showbox 12-6-2002 Nothing will top the small club experience, 10 feet from the stage after winning tickets outside from 107.7 The End in a PJ trivia contest. Also my head is prominently featured in the DVD.

I just bought this off amazon. It arrived today. Excited to watch it now.

Love small shows. Was a fortunate winner of Vic tix. Great show, but not one that cracked the my top 3. Maybe top 5, but only cause it was such a small gig.

PostPosted: Thu October 23, 2014 10:53 pm 
Champion of RM

I ranked my shows prior to the 2013 tour by listening to them all in order. I'm sure the 2013s and 2014s will move around with additional listens.

1. Ottawa, ON – September 16, 2005. An awesome show. Spectacular Black and Crazy Mary were highlights. Also featured many of my personal favorites. This was the first time I traveled to a show alone.

2. State College, PA – May 3, 2003. The band was in great spirits. A really fun show.

3. Philadelphia, PA - October 3, 2005. Toughest 10C ticket that I ever tried to get. Great set. The feedback during Crazy Mary prevents this from being higher on my list. That really derailed the momentum and flow.

4. Hartford, CT – June 27, 2008. One of the most underrated shows of the past 10 years.

5. Philadelphia, PA – October 30, 2009. The best crowd of a show I was at. Row 1, 2, 9, 10 Lottery winner. In Hiding was my single favorite song from a show that I attended.

6. Chicago, IL – July 19, 2013. Hard to rank. Unforgettable. I plucked a ball from the ivy. It’s my single greatest piece of concert memorabilia. I was grinning like a fool the entire time I was on the field.

7. Milwaukee, WI - October 20, 2014. Great crowd. The band was in great spirits. Main set Baba, quite rare. Yield in order.

8. Camden, NJ – June 19, 2008. Very solid show.

9. Philadelphia, PA – October 31, 2009. Fuck you RM.

10. New York, NY – May 21, 2010. Great crowd. Absolutely spectacular feeling the floor shake. Kinda scary too. Ben Bridwell absolutely killed Hunger Strike – the best guest participation that I witnessed.

11. Vienna, Austria – June 25, 2014. Rather unusual set.

12. Camden, NJ – September 2, 2000. This is where it all started for me.

13. Seattle, WA – December 6, 2013. The band was in great spirits. The only time I sat behind the stage.

14. Philadelphia, PA – April 28, 2003. Great crowd. Crazy Mary opener.

15. Camden, NJ – May 28, 2006. Kyle Korver left me hanging for a high-five.

16. East Rutherford, NJ - June 3, 2006. Main set power interruption which derailed momentum and flow.

17. Pittsburgh, PA – October 11, 2013. This show was a good tour opener. It exceeded my expectations.

18. Camden, NJ – July 5, 2003. Very, very hot. Plus it rained for 5 minutes to make it extremely humid. Quite disgusting. Main set RitFW, quite rare. I could not see the fireworks from where I was sitting. I enjoy listening to the bootleg more than actually being there.

19. Stockholm, Sweden – June 28, 2014. My lone GA experience. I was 3 people deep dead center.

20. Pittsburgh, PA – June 23, 2006. The only time I went to a show without having a ticket in advance.

21. Hartford, CT – May 13, 2006. This was the coldest show this side of the ice bowl. Temp was in the 40’s. I had to shell out god knows how much for an official merch sweatshirt. May have sat next to Rosario Dawson.

22. Reading, PA – October 1, 2004. My seats were last row floor.

23. Toronto, ON – September 19, 2005. Great crowd. Bono silliness. The only show that I was at where I was sick.

24. Buffalo, NY – May 10, 2010. Fatal.

25. Baltimore, MD – October 27, 2013. Band was in a terrible mood. I enjoy listening to the bootleg more than actually being there.

26. Ottawa, ON – September 14, 2011. Row 1, 2, 9, 10 Lottery winner. Accidentally knocked over a girl while reaching for a pick. She got the pick and offered it to me. I refused and apologized profusely. The only show where I remember boobies being shown.

27. Tulsa, OK – October 8, 2014. I was surrounded by asshole fans. This was the only show where I was unable to engage with the band and concert experience.

28. Philadelphia, PA – October 28, 2009. The worst of the Spectrum shows. The World Series vibe was great, though.

29. New York, NY – June 25, 2008. Great crowd. My seats were 3 rows from the very last row on the floor. Absolutely spectacular feeling the floor shake. Kinda scary too. Awful encore #2 – No More, Last Kiss, Why Go, Black Diamond, Alive, Yellow Ledbetter. That’s my least favorite encore ever. I didn’t care for the background singers during the main set either.

30. Camden, NJ – May 27, 2006. Drunkest crowd that I can remember. Featured Last Kiss with the convicts. Worst Last Kiss ever.

31. Hershey, PA – July 12, 2003. Shitty concert venue. The band was exhausted from the night before and it showed. The only time I heard Help Help, Get Right, Thumbing My Way, Thin Air and Driven to Tears.

32. Boston, MA – September 28, 2004. Great crowd. I disliked both rare covers – American in Me and Bleed For Me. Howard Zinn was brought on stage to say, “Vote.” Tim Robbins was involved. The shortest show I’ve seen. This is my favorite poster, though.

Last edited by CopperTom on Fri October 24, 2014 2:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri October 24, 2014 1:24 am 
Broken Tamborine

1. East Troy '03
2. Milwaukee '14
3. St. Louis '14
4. Noblesville '10
5. Lollapalooza '07
6. Chicago 2 '09
7. Chicago 1 '09
8. Wrigley Field '13
9. Milwaukee 1 '06
10. Milwaukee 2 '06

PostPosted: Fri October 24, 2014 1:27 am 
Commissioner

We've only seen four of the same shows, I but I agree with the order you put those four in.

PostPosted: Fri October 24, 2014 1:30 am 
Future Drummer

Best, in no particular order:

Philly 05
MSG2 98
MSG2 2010

Most underrated:

London, Ont. 2013

PostPosted: Fri October 24, 2014 1:40 am 
Poster of the Year

CopperTom wrote:
32. Boston, MA – September 28, 2004. Great crowd. I disliked both rare covers – American in Me and Bleed For Me. Howard Zinn was brought on stage to say, “Vote.” Tim Robbins was involved. The shortest show I’ve seen. This is my favorite poster, though.

I thought he said "stop the war!"

PostPosted: Fri October 24, 2014 2:10 am 
mXn

CopperTom wrote:
I ranked my shows prior to the 2013 tour by listening to them all in order. I'm sure the 2013s and 2014s will move around with additional listens.

1. Ottawa, ON – September 16, 2005. An awesome show. Spectacular Black and Crazy Mary were highlights. Also featured many of my personal favorites. This was the first time I traveled to a show alone.
2. State College, PA – May 3, 2003. The band was in great spirits. A really fun show.
3. Philadelphia, PA - October 3, 2005. Toughest 10C ticket that I ever tried to get. Great set. The feedback during Crazy Mary prevents this from being higher on my list. That really derailed the momentum and flow.
4. Hartford, CT – June 27, 2008. One of the most underrated shows of the past 10 years.
5. Philadelphia, PA – October 30, 2009. The best crowd of a show I was at. Row 1, 2, 9, 10 Lottery winner. In Hiding was my single favorite song from a show that I attended.
6. Chicago, IL – July 19, 2013. Hard to rank. Unforgettable. I plucked a ball from the ivy. It’s my single greatest piece of concert memorabilia. I was grinning like a fool the entire time I was on the field.
7. Milwaukee, WI - October 20, 2014. Great crowd. The band was in great spirits. Main set Baba, quite rare. Yield in order.
8. Camden, NJ – June 19, 2008. Very solid show.
9. Philadelphia, PA – October 31, 2009. Fuck you RM.
10. New York, NY – May 21, 2010. Great crowd. Absolutely spectacular feeling the floor shake. Kinda scary too. Ben Bridwell absolutely killed Hunger Strike – the best guest participation that I witnessed.
11. Vienna, Austria – June 25, 2014. Rather unusual set.
12. Camden, NJ – September 2, 2000. This is where it all started for me.
13. Seattle, WA – December 6, 2013. The band was in great spirits. The only time I sat behind the stage.
14. Philadelphia, PA – April 28, 2003. Great crowd. Crazy Mary opener.
15. Camden, NJ – May 28, 2006. Kyle Korver left me hanging for a high-five.
16. East Rutherford, NJ - June 3, 2006. Main set power interruption which derailed momentum and flow.
17. Pittsburgh, PA – October 11, 2013. This show was a good tour opener. It exceeded my expectations.
18. Camden, NJ – July 5, 2003. Very, very hot. Plus it rained for 5 minutes to make it extremely humid. Quite disgusting. Main set RitFW, quite rare. I could not see the fireworks from where I was sitting. I enjoy listening to the bootleg more than actually being there.
19. Stockholm, Sweden – June 28, 2014. My lone GA experience. I was 3 people deep dead center.
20. Pittsburgh, PA – June 23, 2006. The only time I went to a show without having a ticket in advance.
21. Hartford, CT – May 13, 2006. This was the coldest show this side of the ice bowl. Temp was in the 40’s. I had to shell out god knows how much for an official merch sweatshirt. May have sat next to Rosario Dawson.
22. Reading, PA – October 1, 2004. My seats were last row floor.
23. Toronto, ON – September 19, 2005. Great crowd. Bono silliness. The only show that I was at where I was sick.
24. Buffalo, NY – May 10, 2010. Fatal.
25. Baltimore, MD – October 27, 2013. Band was in a terrible mood. I enjoy listening to the bootleg more than actually being there.
26. Ottawa, ON – September 14, 2011. Row 1, 2, 9, 10 Lottery winner. Accidentally knocked over a girl while reaching for a pick. She got the pick and offered it to me. I refused and apologized profusely. The only show where I remember boobies being shown.
27. Tulsa, OK – October 8, 2014. I was surrounded by asshole fans. This was the only show where I was unable to engage with the band and concert experience.
28. Philadelphia, PA – October 28, 2009. The worst of the Spectrum shows. The World Series vibe was great, though.
29. New York, NY – June 25, 2008. Great crowd. My seats were 3 rows from the very last row on the floor. Absolutely spectacular feeling the floor shake. Kinda scary too. Awful encore #2 – No More, Last Kiss, Why Go, Black Diamond, Alive, Yellow Ledbetter. That’s my least favorite encore ever. I didn’t care for the background singers during the main set either.
30. Camden, NJ – May 27, 2006. Drunkest crowd that I can remember. Featured Last Kiss with the convicts. Worst Last Kiss ever.
31. Hershey, PA – July 12, 2003. Shitty concert venue. The band was exhausted from the night before and it showed. The only time I heard Help Help, Get Right, Thumbing My Way, Thin Air and Driven to Tears.

I would have read this if you had provided a blank line spaced between each show. This way it looks like one huge paragraph.

PostPosted: Fri October 24, 2014 2:25 am 
Future Drummer

1. Dallas 1993 - RVM opener, w/ cool power chord intro; Dave A.(!); Angel closer(!); my first rock show.

2. Lisbon 1996 - Tour closer; won tix + 2 week trip on radio contest; Who You Are opener; Jack(!); that Portugal crowd (listen to the boot, you'll understand); Got access to watch from the board area with Brett (sound guy) and Keith (lights).

3. Dallas 1998 - Rodman crashed the show; Interstellar/Corduroy opener.

4. Bridge School 1999 (night 1) - Friend flew me out; Amazing lineup (PJ, SP, Neil, Who, Green Day, Sheryl Crow, Emmylou, Brian Wilson); Debut of Thin Air!

5. Denver 2014 - Release opener (first for me, sounded great); 38 songs, including many I've never heard live before; Band far exceeded my rather low post-2000 expectations... Band was firing on all cylinders after 24 years... Loved it!

***EV solo Dallas 2012 - I'd rank this one here (unofficially, of course). Great, unique experience, and good to see a PJ band member set foot in Dallas for the first time in nearly a decade! Ed's a great solo performer, who has learned a lot from Neil, and it showed***

6. (Tie) Dallas/Houston 2000 - I consider this the era when Mike made Black HIS song... Preferred Long Road opener in Houston over Sometimes opener in Dallas, but otherwise great crowds at both venues. Love Binaural - era PJ... back when Matt was still great behind the kit.

7. Austin 1995 - Ticketmaster fiasco really screwed up the logistics of this one. Date and ticketing plan changed, start time moved up from evening to afternoon, was hot as fuck! I actually passed out from heat/claustrophobia during the Ramones' set...

But it WAS the Ramones, and it WAS 1995 PJ... Nuff said.

8. Dallas 2003 - Another Sometimes opener (2 in a row for Dallas - Weird!); Lots of RA material, which to me signifies the beginning of sub-par PJ; Ed seemed obsessed with playing a "Where's the WMD's" joke on the crowd, which no one there understood what the fuck he was trying to do; otherwise typical great Dallas crowd for a PJ show, and Mike owned it!

9. Kansas City 1998 - Not too memorable to me (especially compared to Dallas 2 days later)... Lots of assholes in the lawn area around me; didn't really dig the venue or the drive up; crowd was ripping seats and barricades... Not cool!

10. New Orleans 2013 - I never wanted to see PJ again after this terrible set... Sirens opener :throwup: ; Horrific meltdown in Chloe/CofT; Matt was WAY off; festival 'greatest hits' set, I was completely turned off by this show...

Thank goodness the Squid convinced me to take her to the Denver '14 show last night... Total vindication, and I can't wait to see them again!

Last edited by Iholdthepain on Fri October 24, 2014 2:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri October 24, 2014 2:48 am 
Champion of RM

cutuphalfdead wrote:
CopperTom wrote:

I thought he said "stop the war!"

You are correct.

PostPosted: Fri October 24, 2014 2:49 am 
Future Drummer

You've seen some great shows Tom, though you seem to be a bad omen for power outages!

CopperTom wrote:

I think this is appropriately rated around here - usually high on people's lists of post 2006 shows. Probably the only 08 show that I've gone back to in the last 5 years.

PostPosted: Fri October 24, 2014 2:50 am 
Commissioner

Iholdthepain wrote:
2. Lisbon 1996 - Tour closer; won tix + 2 week trip on radio contest; Who You Are opener; Jack(!); that Portugal crowd (listen to the boot, you'll understand); Got access to watch from the board area with Brett (sound guy) and Keith (lights).

!

PostPosted: Fri October 24, 2014 2:54 am 
Champion of RM

ridleybradout wrote:
You've seen some great shows Tom, though you seem to be a bad omen for power outages!

CopperTom wrote:

I think this is appropriately rated around here - usually high on people's lists of post 2006 shows. Probably the only 08 show that I've gone back to in the last 5 years.

I was also at a show where the lights malfunctioned. State College? They had simple descending lights and they got tangled. The rest of the show had more basic than usual lighting effects.

PostPosted: Fri October 24, 2014 3:00 am 
Future Drummer

Lament wrote:
Iholdthepain wrote:

!

Yeah, for a 24 hour period, if you heard a PJ song, you were to be the 10th called to register to win. We enlisted many foot soldiers for this, and we registered 3 names throughout the day/night... The next morning, they drew my gf's name, called her on the air... She flipped out, and I was half asleep when I heard it!

Sure beats the hell out of coffee as wake-up juice.

Also, we somehow met a couple of Lisbon college girls online, who became our personal tour guides, taking us to a disco, a castle, met some of their chill friends, hung out and played music together in a city park. Word at the airport was that I missed meeting Ed at the terminal by 15 minutes. He was boarding a plane to Rome to play a show with members of the Fastbacks... "The What" was an impromptu Who cover band... The boot is out there.

PostPosted: Fri October 24, 2014 3:40 am 
Rank This Poster

Iholdthepain wrote:

9. Kansas City 1998 - Not too memorable to me (especially compared to Dallas 2 days later)... Lots of assholes in the lawn area around me; didn't really dig the venue or the drive up; crowd was ripping seats and barricades... Not cool!

I have bad feelings about this Dallas show. I was supposed to go but I didn't go down to Dallas until a few days later. Being a huge Rodman fan makes me bummed I didn't go even more. Oh well I love having the boot and the show is on youtube. My sister and bro in law went. Also saw them at the Bronco Bowl in 1992...pretty sure they were opening for Soundgarden.

As someone who has seen a lot of concerts at Sandstone I have lots of assholes on the lawn stories. The last 10 miles to the venue sucks too. I have not been there in a few years. It's a dump.

PostPosted: Fri October 24, 2014 3:41 am 
Commissioner

Iholdthepain wrote:
Yeah, for a 24 hour period, if you heard a PJ song, you were to be the 10th called to register to win. We enlisted many foot soldiers for this, and we registered 3 names throughout the day/night... The next morning, they drew my gf's name, called her on the air... She flipped out, and I was half asleep when I heard it!

Sure beats the hell out of coffee as wake-up juice.

Also, we somehow met a couple of Lisbon college girls online, who became our personal tour guides, taking us to a disco, a castle, met some of their chill friends, hung out and played music together in a city park. Word at the airport was that I missed meeting Ed at the terminal by 15 minutes. He was boarding a plane to Rome to play a show with members of the Fastbacks... "The What" was an impromptu Who cover band... The boot is out there.

Amazing.

PostPosted: Fri October 24, 2014 4:02 am 
Future Drummer

BigRedLedbetter wrote:
Iholdthepain wrote:

I have bad feelings about this Dallas show. I was supposed to go but I didn't go down to Dallas until a few days later. Being a huge Rodman fan makes me bummed I didn't go even more. Oh well I love having the boot and the show is on youtube. My sister and bro in law went. Also saw them at the Bronco Bowl in 1992...pretty sure they were opening for Soundgarden.

As someone who has seen a lot of concerts at Sandstone I have lots of assholes on the lawn stories. The last 10 miles to the venue sucks too. I have not been there in a few years. It's a dump.

My friend recorded the straight ahead view and mixed that 2 cam mix that's on yt. It was a party in Reunion Arena once Rodman joined, but I think a few PJ members were rather annoyed with him. That was before they were ok with being an arena-party band, I guess.

Oh, and that's badass that you saw them at the Bronco Bowl. I miss that old place. Tore it down to build a Home Depot about 10 years ago. PJ played to about 50 people at Trees the year before. There's a video of that out there, too. Dave A's brother Frank filmed it, as it was right after Dave joined the band.

And yeah, Sandstone sucked.

PostPosted: Fri October 24, 2014 4:19 am 
Rank This Poster

Iholdthepain wrote:
BigRedLedbetter wrote:
Iholdthepain wrote:

My friend recorded the straight ahead view and mixed that 2 cam mix that's on yt. It was a party in Reunion Arena once Rodman joined, but I think a few PJ members were rather annoyed with him. That was before they were ok with being an arena-party band, I guess.

Oh, and that's badass that you saw them at the Bronco Bowl. I miss that old place. Tore it down to build a Home Depot about 10 years ago. PJ played to about 50 people at Trees the year before. There's a video of that out there, too. Dave A's brother Frank filmed it, as it was right after Dave joined the band.

And yeah, Sandstone sucked.

Nice. I have watched that video a few times. Never saw a show at Reunion. But a few Stars and Mavs games in 93 and 94.

No no....my sister and bro in law went to that Bronco Bowl show. Fuck....I wish. I was like 11.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 256 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 13  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Live