The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Live

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 256 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: The all-new rank your shows thread
PostPosted: Thu September 10, 2015 4:16 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

cutuphalfdead wrote:
It was game 6 of the world series!

Yeah I dont see how anyone can complain about that.

I remember I had tickets to EV when the Bruins were in the midst of their Stanley Cup run and I would have skipped the show if game 7 had been that night.

PostPosted: Fri September 11, 2015 3:49 pm 
Lost Cat

Never seen a bad show.

Verona, Italy 09-16-2006

Verona for me is the highlight as it was raining all day and just after Release it stopped. Was 8th row Mike's side, great seats in an amazing setting.

Alltel Pavilion Walnut Creek, Raleigh, NC 04/15/2003

First show, remember shaking when Release opened. Managed to get 4th row tickets on the day from Ticketmaster.

Milan, Italy 09-17-2006

Pistoia, Italy 09-20-2006

St. Johns, Newfoundland 09-24-2005

Milton Keynes, UK 07-11-2014

O2 Arena, London, UK 08-18-2009

Torino, Italy 09-19-2006

Shepherd's Bush, London, UK 08-11-2009

Astoria, London 04-20-2006

Bologna, Italy 09-14-2006

Prague, Czech Republic 09-22-2006

Vienna, Austria 09-25-2006

Toronto, Ontario 09-19-2005

Wembley Arena London, England 06-18-2007

Berlin, Germany 09-23-2006

Washington, D.C. 05-30-2006

PostPosted: Mon October 26, 2015 3:40 pm 
AnalLog

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
Wendy Carlos's Twin wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
you tell 'em, WCT. Tell them that you know better how much they enjoyed the show than they do!

I don't know about you, but I go to shows to listen to the band perform, not to make sure I'm seen, get drunk and party like I'm at some kind of frat hazing, but that's just me.

I don't know, but it just seems like 90% of the crowd is just there to party anymore, like it's a Phish show or something. Nobody pays attention to the music. This is most obvious when they play a deep cut and most people ignore them/go to the bathroom/go to the lobby to see what the football score is.

I went to a Phish show a year ago and the crowd was the most annoying crowd I've ever experienced.

You two don't get Phish and their fans. Their crowds are as big as Pearl Jam's, except everyone there knows every song, deep cut, lyric and are all keenly aware of when Phish is on and when they are not. Having 30,000 fans clap their hands at the perfect time in the middle of Golden Age (TV on the Radio cover), when the band has only played it 6 times in the last 8 years, is evidence that they might be f__ked up on something or other, but they are without question there for the music and are paying attention.

Having said that, how can you judge someone else's experience at a show? I thought PJ's playing at Hershey was amazing as well. Stone and Matt have rarely been tighter (SF III in 06 rivals it), but the venue, crowd and Ed being so exhausted from the night before, puts that show lower on my list as well. For a lot of people, the entire experience informs their feelings on a show, not just how well the band plays.

PostPosted: Mon October 26, 2015 5:10 pm 
Poster of the Year

no way 30 thousand white kids are clapping their hands in perfect time

PostPosted: Mon October 26, 2015 5:20 pm 
AnalLog

cutuphalfdead wrote:
no way 30 thousand white kids are clapping their hands in perfect time

go to 50 seconds. I was as shocked as you. :D

PostPosted: Mon October 26, 2015 5:22 pm 
Champion of RM

No way 30,000 Phish fans know what city they're in, let alone the lyrics. 99% of those folks have to be high. Don't make it out that PJ fans don't know and appreciate the deep cuts.

PostPosted: Mon October 26, 2015 5:36 pm 
AnalLog

CopperTom wrote:
No way 30,000 Phish fans know what city they're in, let alone the lyrics. 99% of those folks have to be high. Don't make it out that PJ fans don't know and appreciate the deep cuts.

Tom, I've seen 30 PJ shows and 4 Phish shows. Out of those 30 shows, unless I am in fanclub seats, I've always sat beside someone that was waiting for Jeremy, Alive or complaining about people singing along. In the 4 Phish shows, whether on the lawn or in the seats, everyone is singing along and dancing to everything. I'm not even trying to talk shit about Pearl Jam, I am just telling WCT he is wrong about the vibe at a Phish show. Those fans take it seriously and Phish delivers. ie. last night of Denver they played a 8 song encore that spelled out Thank You. In that encore they busted out songs they haven't played since 1994, 1996 and a first time cover. Pearl Jam rocks. Phish rocks and that is okay.

Last edited by Hatfield on Mon October 26, 2015 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon October 26, 2015 5:42 pm 
Champion of RM

My friends are die hard Phish fans. Thank you contains 8 letters.

PostPosted: Mon October 26, 2015 5:54 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

Oh man, chud and I were behind this guy at Charlotte in 13 that went nuts for the standards. He was acting a fool when Alive started...

PostPosted: Mon October 26, 2015 6:27 pm 
AnalLog

Back to topic:

1. 7/22/06 George, WA - It's Okay, Dirty Frank. Loved the venue and experience.

2. 7/23/06 George, WA- Great performance, great crowd, great venue and got I Won't Back Down (one of the first songs that sent me into super fandom from that Pensacola 94 show). If the night before didn't have a couple of songs I'd put this one as number 1. Everything I had wanted in a Pearl Jam show. God's Dice>Animal>DTE was perfection.

3. 9/13/05 Hamilton, ON- 3rd night in a row for many of us. Porch opener and Harvest Moon At the time I thought it was the best the band had ever sounded. Ed's voice was perfect.

4. 9/11/05 Kitchner- Amazing to be in Canada and in such a small venue. Fierce set and well played. Great crowd. Thought they sounded like 2003, but had the intention of 2000.

5. 9/5/00 Pittsburgh, PA - First 30 song show. Even Flow opener. Snuck down to 3rd row center and the seat holder didn't show until the second encore. Stayed for one song and left. End of tour with a close friend who had done 5 shows with me that year. Baba O'Riley was perfect that night and the preshow with Ed was amazing. Never could have predicted that.

6. 7/11/03 Boston, MA - 45 songs. 12 song acoustic preset. You know the deal. I still go back and listen to that Wishlist>Why Can't I Touch It.

7. 10/8/04 Orlando, FL - Smallest venue I had seen PJ in at that point. Amazing energy and one of the cooler setlists I had seen. (Timeless Melody, New World, American in Me, Fortunate Son, great Daughter and Betterman) They weren't as on as 2003 or 2005, but still a great show.

8. 7/18/06 San Francisco, CA - Maybe the best the band ever sounded. Perfectly tight and a great setlist. Red Mosquito sounded right again!

9. 9/4/98 Greenville, SC - GA floor was intense. Ed felt like 94 Eddie. DTE was so mean. It felt like a fight all night. Even the way Ed played the tambourine during Mankind felt intense. Really glad I got to see them this way.

10. 10/5/96 Charleston, SC - First show. I was too bowled over by the experience to really take it all in. I remember Blood very well. Ed didn't care if his voice ever came back. I finally was able to let loose during Alive and I must have looked like a fool.

Honorable mentions that could easily be in the top 10:

Denver 2014 - I still can't believe how GREAT the band sounded. Jeff made the whole night better. Porch and RVM jams were so focused, but challenging. Ed's voice in the mid-range is as strong as ever. Mother floored me and I wasn't expecting it. Everything was just so damn big. Leash and Breath felt like Alive usually does. They've figured out how to do it, I just don't know if I love it. Of the Earth was a monster and they took their time with it. Finally, they can pull out a rarity like SoH and play it better than anytime I've seen them do it. Really, this could be in the top 3 for me.

7/7/06 - San Diego (muddy floor sound, but great show- LONG ROAD)

4/15/03 - Raleigh (felt like it was as good as 9/5/00 at the time. I couldn't believe they could sound that good on an off night in Raleigh, NC)

8/7/00 - Atlanta, GA. (Great performance. At the time I thought it was the best show I had seen by them.)

6/16/08 - Columbia, SC (band didn't sound perfect and Ed certainly didn't, but it was a great setlist, great crowd and a very memorable show. Can't Keep is the best I've heard. Better than 7/11/03. Loved Education from the first time I heard the bootleg version in 03 and was really happy to hear it played so well.

PostPosted: Thu January 28, 2016 3:26 pm 
Future Drummer
 WWW  Profile

1. 10/03/2005 - Philadelphia - Wachovia Center
2. 10/19/2013 - Brooklyn - Barclays Center
3. 07/12/2003 - Hershey - Hersheypark Stadium
4. 06/24/2008 - New York - Madison Square Garden
5. 10/31/2009 - Philadelphia - Wachovia Spectrum
6. 06/03/2006 - East Rutherford - Continental Arena
7. 10/01/2004 - Reading - Sovereign Center
8. 10/22/2013 - Philadelphia - Wells Fargo Arena
9. 05/31/2006 - New York - The Avalon (VH1 Storytellers)

PostPosted: Thu January 28, 2016 4:22 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

Hatfield wrote:

6/16/08 - Columbia, SC (band didn't sound perfect and Ed certainly didn't, but it was a great setlist, great crowd and a very memorable show. Can't Keep is the best I've heard. Better than 7/11/03. Loved Education from the first time I heard the bootleg version in 03 and was really happy to hear it played so well.

I got this boot and you're totally right. I did like Education (sans the Ed talking beforehand), and WMA. It was really cool to hear that one on it's own. Porch from that show is really good. Or, I should say the jam. Most of the jams with Porch I'm pretty indifferent towards, but this one in Columbia is fun.

PostPosted: Thu January 28, 2016 4:23 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

Tibetan Freedom Concert DC was my first time seeing them, but my first real show is still the best. Greenville, SC 1998. Love that show, love that tour.

PostPosted: Thu January 28, 2016 4:33 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Damn, I've seen a lot of shows...

1. 10/29/13 Charlottesville, Virginia - Overall, best all around show I think I've seen (though recency effect may be at work here)
2. 10/31/09 Philadelphia, PA - Most fun I've ever had at a concert, bar none. I don't care what the haters say about this show!
3. 07/08/03 New York, NY - I knew this one was special the minute it ended. Was very happy it was released on DVD.
4. 10/19/13 New York, NY - Finally saw All Those Yesterdays!
5. 09/30/05 Atlantic City, NJ - First GA show for me and first for the band in five years. Was like seeing them in a college lecture hall (in a good way).
6. 06/22/08 Washington, DC - Great show and setlist. Had second row seats for this one.
7. 06/16/08 Columbia, SC - Had first row seats and caught Eddie's wine bottle during Even Flow. Amazing experience but show doesn't hold up for me.
8. 07/01/03 Bristow, VA - 2nd time I saw the band live.
9. 06/27/08 Hartford, CT - Felt like the band catered the set just for me, in both positive and negative ways (really wanted to hear Brain of J, Big Wave and Smile...really didn't want to hear Not for You and Gone).
10. 09/03/11 East Troy, WI - PJ20 Night 1. Despite the weather, had a blast the entire day.
11. 10/03/14 St. Louis, MO - Great show but stupidly drank too much. I do remember having a good time though.
12. 10/30/09 Philadelphia, PA - First show I took my girlfriend, now wife, to. Heard a ton of songs live I had never heard live before and had some epic McDonalds post show!
13. 10/11/13 Pittsburgh, PA - First time I've seen the first night of the tour. Was pretty exciting going in having absolutely no idea what to expect.
14. 06/25/08 New York, NY - The better of the two MSG shows that tour, though overall was slightly disappointed with both nights.
15. 04/19/03 Atlanta, GA - My first show ever. Got Crown of Thornes for just the third time ever.
16. 06/24/08 New York, NY - You know you are spoiled when you are upset you heard Hard to Imagine as an opener two nights in a row.
17. 05/30/06 Washington, DC - Standard Pearl Jam show. Had a great time the night of, but nothing really memorable about it.
18. 10/18/13 New York, NY - Band started off on fire, but once they played Crown during the main set, the show lost a little something. Oceans in the encore was pretty cool.
19. 07/09/03 New York, NY - I think my expectations were way to high for this one. Eddie said they had a special treat for us, and then played All or None. And Crazy Mary opened?? bleh.
20. 10/27/13 Baltimore, MD - Lou Reed died that morning, so I think the band was a bit out of it. I just never felt "connected" at this one.
21. 09/04/11 East Troy, WI - PJ20 Night 2. I wasn't feeling good this night so that put a damper on things for me. We left during the ToTD set to beat the traffic nightmare we faced the night before.
22. 07/06/03 Philadelphia, PA - Another show I drank too much at. At least for this one, I was in college, so I have that as an excuse.
23. 10/30/13 Charlotte, NC - Felt like the band was hungover from the night before. I found the set to be one of the most boring of the entire 2013 tour.
24. 07/19/13 Chicago, IL - Had an awesome time pre-concert in Wrigleyville, but with the shitty seats, rain delay, and seven mile walk back to the hotel till 5:30am, this concert left me with a very bitter taste in my mouth.
25. 10/11/04 Washington, DC - Vote for Change Finale, so they only played 5 songs (two covers). Was fun but can't really rank it higher than any real shows.

PostPosted: Thu January 28, 2016 6:16 pm 
Future Drummer
 WWW  Profile

scottmusic wrote:
Eddie said they had a special treat for us, and then played All or None.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder for sure but I certainly would consider that a special treat at this point.

PostPosted: Thu January 28, 2016 6:34 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

bluestate wrote:
scottmusic wrote:

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder for sure but I certainly would consider that a special treat at this point.

Right, but I mean in 2003, when it was part of the album the tour was supporting, it wasn't really that special of a treat. The way he said it, talking about how so many members of the fan club were there and stuff, I thought we'd be getting Satan's Bed, or Leash, or something along those lines (which would have been a very special treat for 2003).

PostPosted: Mon February 01, 2016 5:29 am 
mXn

Hatfield wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
Wendy Carlos's Twin wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
you tell 'em, WCT. Tell them that you know better how much they enjoyed the show than they do!

I don't know about you, but I go to shows to listen to the band perform, not to make sure I'm seen, get drunk and party like I'm at some kind of frat hazing, but that's just me.

I don't know, but it just seems like 90% of the crowd is just there to party anymore, like it's a Phish show or something. Nobody pays attention to the music. This is most obvious when they play a deep cut and most people ignore them/go to the bathroom/go to the lobby to see what the football score is.

I went to a Phish show a year ago and the crowd was the most annoying crowd I've ever experienced.

You two don't get Phish and their fans. Their crowds are as big as Pearl Jam's, except everyone there knows every song, deep cut, lyric and are all keenly aware of when Phish is on and when they are not. Having 30,000 fans clap their hands at the perfect time in the middle of Golden Age (TV on the Radio cover), when the band has only played it 6 times in the last 8 years, is evidence that they might be f__ked up on something or other, but they are without question there for the music and are paying attention.

Having said that, how can you judge someone else's experience at a show? I thought PJ's playing at Hershey was amazing as well. Stone and Matt have rarely been tighter (SF III in 06 rivals it), but the venue, crowd and Ed being so exhausted from the night before, puts that show lower on my list as well. For a lot of people, the entire experience informs their feelings on a show, not just how well the band plays.

You're gonna have die hard PJ fans sprinked throughout any venue but I would agree, the worse the seats the less the people around me have been into it. Not 100% of the time, but more often than when I've had great seats or GA.

PostPosted: Mon February 01, 2016 3:30 pm 
AnalLog

scottmusic wrote:
bluestate wrote:
scottmusic wrote:

Right, but I mean in 2003, when it was part of the album the tour was supporting, it wasn't really that special of a treat. The way he said it, talking about how so many members of the fan club were there and stuff, I thought we'd be getting Satan's Bed, or Leash, or something along those lines (which would have been a very special treat for 2003).

By far the best song on that album. You're right, but it was a special treat. They've only played it like 12 times at this point.

PostPosted: Tue February 02, 2016 1:32 pm 
Future Drummer

Let's Do This!

Perth 2006
Perth 2009

Right. That was pretty easy.

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 8:52 pm 
Future Drummer

1. Barclays 2 (2013)
2. MSG2 (2016)
3. Barclays 1 (2013)
4. MSG1 (2016)
5. Global Citizen Festival

I don't have many <_<

2 and 3 may switch

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 256 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Live