The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Live

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 256 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: The all-new rank your shows thread
PostPosted: Wed August 29, 2018 2:58 am 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Funny how we view the same shows in different ways. I loved the ‘08 shows at MSG. I think the issues have more with their reproductions on bootlegs than the shows themselves which I thought were excellent. MSG 1 from ‘10 I think is underrated based on how great the next night was. I do agree that ‘03 shows there were pretty
amazing, but I prefer 5/21/10. I can’t say I’ve seen a show that comes that close to that one.

PostPosted: Wed August 29, 2018 3:03 am 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

1- Buenos Aires 2005. I had a great time.
2- Buenos Aires 2013. It was OK.

PostPosted: Wed August 29, 2018 7:35 pm 
A Return To Form

Salzburg 2000: great outdoor show right in the middle of a beautiful city, perfect weather, my first show and - as the boootleg shows - one of the top Euro 2000 performances.
Vienna 2014: great performance, nice setlist and I knew that my child would be born in a few days. Awesome experience!
Vienna 2006: very good show at the end of the Euro tour 2006, had a great time with a few friends who weren't even casual fans. They loved it!
Berlin 2018: it wasn't the tightest performance but I had a great time at Waldbühne. Sometimes it felt like it was 1992 all over again with all that moshing and crowdsurfing in the front rows. I didn't think that that would still be possible at one of their shows. I already saw Neil Young at that venue and it is really georgeous! After Salzburg my favourite venue to see them.
Munich 2007: travelled to Munich the day after my birthday and spent the day in this beautiful city. The arena was half empty (but the few that were there were really loud so it didn't matter), but the band was really tight that day. I still remember the floor vibrating when they did Whipping. And: I couldn't believe that they did Throw your hatred down. Didn't see that one coming.
Berlin I + II 2012: following the lacklustre show in Prag these were very good. I had a great time and enjoyed both evenings immensly, especially setlistwise. Saw so many songs for the first time here.
Stockholm 2012: probably the best performance of the 2012 shows I saw but I didn't particularly care for the setlist. I think, it was the longest of those Euro shows, that was a nice bonus.
NovaRock 2007: very short festival set and they had a few problems with their equipment (the day before they were scheduled to play a festival in Venice that was cancelled due to stormy weather. A few things that already were on stage got damaged). Nevertheless: nice show and like Munich really tight. You know it's a good one when a song that you've heard a hundred times gets you. Corduroy did the trick that day. But all in all it was too short to amount to much...
Prag 2012: first show I saw with my wife. Unfortunately the sound in that arena was atrocious (during Push me, pull me you couldn't hear the guitars. First I thought that it was an equipment malfunction, but on the boot you can hear that everything's there). Performance wasn't great either, in fact, I think it's the worst of the 2012 boots. Only good thing was the good crowd.

Also saw both Eddie solo shows in London in 2012 (excellent) and the one in Berlin 2017 (very good).

PostPosted: Thu August 30, 2018 8:41 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Going off of memory and I haven't listened to the official bootlegs, so for now these are my thoughts from what I remember at the time. Ed's lyrical flubs and fuck ups from other members never catch my attention until after the fact.

May 24, 2006 - TD Banknorth Garden: Boston, MA

My first show after waiting a very long time to see them (first one should have been Fort Lauderdale 1996). Very emotional hearing "Release" open the show. "Green Disease" is one I wanted to hear. "Forever Young" was a snooze fest to me. I loved the second encore ("Spin The Black Circle," "Do The Evolution," "Whipping," "Rats," "Comatose," "Rockin' In The Free World"), and "Animal" into "Red Mosquito" was magnificent.

May 25, 2006 - TD Banknorth Garden: Boston, MA

An okay follow-up to the previous night. "Insignificance" seemed pretty locked in, and I was glad to witness this song. "Dissident," "Low Light," reworked "Garden," "Black," and almost all of the second encore are more highlights to me. "Leash" at the time was an awesome experience, but hearing it again after the show made me think the first performance since 1995 is neutered. "Wasted Reprise" into "Man of the Hour" was an odd choice to me. I thought it would have worked better leading into "Life Wasted" during the second encore, and switching its placement with "Why Go" at the beginning of it. It may have been unconfirmed, but I remember really wanting to hear "Deep" as word went around it was performed during soundcheck.

"Parachutes" is a true set killer. "Rockin' In The Free World" and the addition of Theo 'I think I'm In Hiding' Epstein bored the hell out of me, and the same went for "Yellow Ledbetter" following it. :z:

June 11, 2008 - Cruzan Amphitheatre: West Palm Beach, FL

This show flew by for me and it seemed pretty short compared to when I saw them in 2006. I was surprised when "Yellow Ledbetter" hit after "Alive" wrapped up. "Oceans" and "Who You Are" were pretty tight performances. The Ed solo stuff in the second encore was another snooze fest. I assumed this show was cut short as a fuck you for living in a red state. :haha:

August 7, 2016 - Fenway Park: Boston, MA

The beginning of the main set was pretty good ("Pendulum," "Off He Goes," "Nothing As It Seems," "Nothingman") until it hit the "Corduroy" call and response bullshit. I am all for reinventing songs in a live atmosphere, but this definitely shows the Party With Pearl Jam attitude with an unneeded extended moment. It is also this show where I thought is there such a thing as too much Pearl Jam? Some moments I wanted this show to end pretty fast and go home. Maybe it's my depression talking in this case. I thought the main set would pull up with "Animal" into "Hail, Hail" and others, but eventually we were crushed with "Sirens" that can lull anyone to sleep.

"Draw the Line," "Lukin" > "Not For You," "Angel," was fantastic. I think a little bit of this show and a little bit of the previous performance at Fenway would have been a great blend. This year also marked where I missed out seeing Dinosaur Jr., so seeing J Mascis appear was unexpected. All I could think about was the Stooges Project in 2002. Ray Cameron will always be a little kid to me who is quoted saying his Dad thinks Pearl Jam is better than french fries. Tom Hamilton will always be my favorite member of Aerosmith.

August 5, 2016 - Fenway Park: Boston, MA

I wouldn't expect this band to play for eight hours straight, but the curfew does add a damper to things when you take into the account of speeches and all that stuff. Yet if it is baseball then just let it run until whenever the innings end. The amount of guest stars throughout this evening is the equivalent of how some feel when the band goes into politics. While I expect, respect and endure political speeches given it comes with this band's territory, I am certainly not going to give a damn about Bronson Arroyo wanting to feel like he is in the band, or Kevin Youkilis dragging out a ukulele when I would be happier seeing a tortoise bring it on over. I feel the circle jerking with these guest spots went on forever and would cut into the ridiculous strict curfew.

Oh right! The show!

"Masters of War," "I Am A Patriot," "Porch," and "Strangest Tribe" were keepers to me. The run of "Society," "Just Breathe," and "Sleeping By Myself" felt like one long song you do not want to hear when being taken off of life support. It was my first time hearing the "Corduroy" call and response, and holy hell did it sound terrible. I am sure this is the only song version to make me cringe upon reading a song request for it on the Pit. I understand the significance of hearing "I Got a Feeling," but I also think the Beatles are pretty boring and overrated, so I didn't lose my mind over it like other people did at the time. It was fun finally hearing "Baba O'Riley" given the cover closer I heard so many times is "Rockin' In The Free World".

September 25, 2015 - Central Park: New York, NY

I missed out on the Late Show with Stephen Colbert taping and the soundcheck at Central Park, so at the time heading into this I was feeling somewhat bummed out until I realized feeling down about it won't change again and I would rather hang out with my Girlfriend at the time.

Cue Central Park on the day of Global Citizen Festival. I didn't expect front row, but it would my first time being in a GA setting of some kind. I do not have the best height advantage (I think Eddie is maybe half and inch to an inch taller than me), so I figured I would chance trying to get a spot that didn't involve having a hybrid of Groot and Drax walk into my field of vision (this happens a lot for me and it sucks).

Oh boy. My Girlfriend knew about Pearl Jam and all the crazy stuff that comes with it (merch, flippers, crazies from the pit, song chasers, etc), but she didn't understand why beauty sleep needed to be interrupted to leave Queens at 4 am to get into line. I remember this day being a scorcher and that it was such a pain in the ass with the 'treat you like cattle' line changing throughout the day.

Standing on the lawn had me overhear a few members of the Beyhive sneering "Oh he must be here to see Pearl Jam" and trying to finagle a plan while possibly threatening violence, not violins, to get in front of me because they mistakenly thought Beyoncé would headline the evening. I knew what I would be getting into with the time length of artists, performances, speeches, and all that jazz as I await the headlining act.

There were some highlights: Bill Nye fanning the flames off of Stone's guitar; "Redemption Song"; Beyoncé, Coldplay; a wild Sting appears; pre-show video of Iggy Pop telling me to recycle my clothes via H&M; The 47th Vice President, and then current First Lady; Aforementioned Beyhive fans missing Beyoncé during "Redemption Song" because they left.

There were some lowlights: Ed Sheeran; a girl wooing throughout said Sheeran performance as if it was Party Time with Ed Sheeran (not to be confused with Party Time with Pearl Jam); Tori Kelly, only because I now see the damn Nationwide commercial since the performance; A gigantic T.V. monitor was in my field of vision despite not being used at all.

There was some confusion: Prior to gathering my thoughts on this show I realized I made a mistake of mixing up names. Tori Kelly and Tori Black have two very different occupations. :lol:

It was an adventure going to Global Citizen Festival, but I have no plans to do it again any time soon. I do not regret getting the chance to see one of my favorite bands for free.

In conclusion,

Thanks for reading some boring shit. I loved Pearl Jam when they were Pre-PRAMG. Now I have to deal with what was once a great band. Of course everything changes with time. I hope the performances as time goes on do not get worse. I have no problem seeing Old Yeller go out back into the fields.

Spoiler: show
The Narrator wrote:
"They get worse."

PostPosted: Fri August 31, 2018 2:17 pm 
Poster of the Year

That first 2006 Boston show was the first time I was at a Pearl Jam show and wasn't completely lost in it. I distinctly remember, in the middle of the show, thinking "this doesn't sound right".

PostPosted: Fri August 31, 2018 2:33 pm 
The Master

cutuphalfdead wrote:
That first 2006 Boston show was the first time I was at a Pearl Jam show and wasn't completely lost in it. I distinctly remember, in the middle of the show, thinking "this doesn't sound right".

I felt the same way at the two '06 shows I went to. Little did I know the transformation to PRAMG was in its infancy.

PostPosted: Fri August 31, 2018 2:52 pm 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

Within the tiers just random order.

Tier One
Boston 1 & 2 - 2000
Philly - 2005
Boston 2 - 2003
Hartford - 2013

Tier Two
Boston 1 & 3 - 2003
Boston 2 - 2004
Hartford - 1998
Boston - 2010
Boston 1 - 2008

Tier Three
Boston 1 - 2016
Boston 1 - 2004
Philly 1? - 2006
Boston 2 - 2008

PostPosted: Fri August 31, 2018 3:54 pm 
Future Drummer

My list is pathetic...

- HERSHEY 2003 - Short but very excellent show

- EAST RUTHERFORD 2006 #1 - Generally a very good show

- PHILADELPHIA 2009 #2 - Worst show I've ever attended by any band

PostPosted: Fri September 28, 2018 12:10 am 

Melbourne 2009
I had a few extra friends seeing PJ for the first time at this show, and the band really impressed. They played for a long time, when I thought the show was wrapping up they ended up playing half of Ten instead, which was unexpected. Really great memories of this one. "Green Disease" was a cool surprise too. Liam Finn/Ben Harper were also amazing.

Melbourne 1 2006
This show had had great energy and was more relaxed and loose than the few shows that proceeded it, the second show in Sydney that tour was a flop, so the band were trying extra hard for the next few shows to ensure the crowd was engaged. (less rarities etc) Was cool to hear insignificance, a great performance of "Dead Man", and I really enjoyed "Come Back" . Ed harassed a security guard during "Yellow Ledbetter" about stopping a fan lighting a cigarette, which I thought was great for some reason.

Sydney 1 2006
This was my first show, opened with "Release" which was pretty magical. "I Got Shit", "Given To Fly" (Great version) and "Grievance" were a highlight, I remember being impressed with Ed's voice particularly in Nothingman, after predicting a decline leading into this tour.

Adelaide 2009
Great show on the cricket grounds, a few extra songs from "No Code/Yield Era" made this show feel unique. Crowd had high energy, the band enjoyed themselves. Also was my first GA show.

Brisbane 2 2006
This show was special from start to finish. Kings of Leon were great, we were like 20 rows back but some girls came to give us the set list after their show cause we must have been the only people getting into the songs. EV coming out for a verse in "slow night, so long" was awesome too. PJ's set flowed really well, well balanced setlist.

Brisbane 2009
Great show with good mix of rare songs thrown in, always a highlight when yield/no code are covered. Rats was played as well. Ed kept referring to the crowd as kids, and kept talking about school for some reason which was odd. I think they tagged ABITW as well. The full AC/DC song in the middle of the set was random. Although it was "If you want blood (you got it)" > Blood.

Brisbane 1 2006
A great setlist I thought, I remember thinking it was a step up in energy from the Sydney shows, and I think the band did too.

Melbourne 3 2006
This was my 7th/last show from 2006 and although it had a lot of good songs It felt like the second half of the set was a bit rushed and unfocused. I remember it not having the epic ending I was hoping for, "Kick out the jams/Wasted reprise/Life wasted/Whipping" right near the end was a bit underwhelming.

Melbourne 2 2006
Probably my fault for attending too many shows on this tour, but I don't recall anything too unique about this show. I remember the ending of the show was noticeably very different to usual. big wave/blood/leash second encore was exciting because it created a feeling that any song could be next, but I remember after it ended with Indifference I left wanting a bit more. Indifference as a closer with the lights on is confusing to me, almost any song would work better in that scenario.

Gold Coast BDO 2014
I was tired from seeing other bands in the day so I was a bit weary for this show. Arcade fire ran long and they were still playing there final notes from their last song over on the left stage. PJ busted into DTE and interrupted the end of their song, was a cool moment. I remember not really enjoying the Lightning bolt tracks, MYM was ok. I really dislike "let the records play" so of course they played that and it wasn't any better live. "Down" and "Sad" were great additions. "Big Wave" made an unnecessary appearance. One of the only new songs I heard that night was "Mother", which I thought ruined the encore, It gave me time to admire the stupid moving wooden bird structure instead, thinking PJ may have lost the plot with their direction.

Sydney 2 2006
This show was the only one where my seats were not on the floor. There was a fat man behind us who kept telling us to sit down. This set list had the potential to be great but the crowd was dead, and ed couldn't get his call and responses to work and was noticeably frustrated.

Cool thread. :)

Last edited by coptheriotact on Fri September 28, 2018 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri September 28, 2018 1:23 am 
Jeff's Infallible Pendulum

Another Aussie! Hey coptheriotact :thumbsup:

So quick headcount there's me, adamdude, spenno, ridley, Varis & LMS. I don't know if Clint posts anymore....

Adamdude and I have thrown around the idea of having a little catch up with the RM regulars next Oz tour.

Melbourne 2009 is my fav show too. Great energy esp during the Ten sections plus a rare Brother!

PostPosted: Fri September 28, 2018 3:21 am 
Looks Like a Cat

coptheriotact wrote:
Gold Coast BDO 2014
I was tired from seeing other bands in the day so I was a bit weary for this show. Arcade fire ran long and they were still playing there final notes from their last song over on the left stage. PJ busted into DTE and interrupted the end of their song, was a cool moment. I remember not really enjoying the Lightning bolt tracks, MYM was ok. I really dislike "let the records play" so of course they played that and it wasn't any better live. "Down" and "Sad" were great additions. "Big Wave" made an unnecessary appearance. One of the only new songs I heard that night was "Mother", which I thought ruined the encore, It gave me time to admire the stupid moving wooden bird structure instead, thinking PJ may have lost the plot with their direction.

I’m glad I wasn’t the only one who felt this way. I’ve had my issues with the band over the years but the show I saw on this tour did more to sour my feelings towards them than anything else.

That Adelaide 2009 show really was a lot of fun, a great night.

PostPosted: Tue October 02, 2018 3:14 pm 
AnalLog

cutuphalfdead wrote:

I felt the same way in Philly(Camden) a few nights later. We've hashed this out before, but Mike's tone and volume, the speed of songs, etc. The West Coast leg was much better.

PostPosted: Tue October 02, 2018 5:18 pm 

I like the tier idea, so I'll go with that. The shows in each tier are in no order.

Top tier:
Lisbon I, 2006
Milano 2006
Wembley 2007
Dusseldorf 2007
Belfast 2010
Leeds 2014
Krakow 2018
Barcelona 2018

Middle tier:
London Astoria 2006
Lisbon II, 2006
Paris 2006
Verona 2006
Copenhagen 2007
Nijmegen 2007
Berlin 2010
Manchester I, 2012
Milton Keynes 2014
Amsterdam 2018
Prague 2018
Berlin 2018
London II, 2018

Lower tier:
Manchester 2009
Manchester II, 2012

PostPosted: Sat October 12, 2019 4:32 pm 
Champion of RM

Original List:
Spoiler: show
I ranked my shows prior to the 2013 tour by listening to them all in order. I'm sure the 2013s and 2014s will move around with additional listens.

1. Ottawa, ON – September 16, 2005. An awesome show. Spectacular Black and Crazy Mary were highlights. Also featured many of my personal favorites. This was the first time I traveled to a show alone.

2. State College, PA – May 3, 2003. The band was in great spirits. A really fun show.

3. Philadelphia, PA - October 3, 2005. Toughest 10C ticket that I ever tried to get. Great set. The feedback during Crazy Mary prevents this from being higher on my list. That really derailed the momentum and flow.

4. Hartford, CT – June 27, 2008. One of the most underrated shows of the past 10 years.

5. Philadelphia, PA – October 30, 2009. The best crowd of a show I was at. Row 1, 2, 9, 10 Lottery winner. In Hiding was my single favorite song from a show that I attended.

6. Chicago, IL – July 19, 2013. Hard to rank. Unforgettable. I plucked a ball from the ivy. It’s my single greatest piece of concert memorabilia. I was grinning like a fool the entire time I was on the field.

7. Milwaukee, WI - October 20, 2014. Great crowd. The band was in great spirits. Main set Baba, quite rare. Yield in order.

8. Camden, NJ – June 19, 2008. Very solid show.

9. Philadelphia, PA – October 31, 2009. Fuck you RM.

10. New York, NY – May 21, 2010. Great crowd. Absolutely spectacular feeling the floor shake. Kinda scary too. Ben Bridwell absolutely killed Hunger Strike – the best guest participation that I witnessed.

11. Vienna, Austria – June 25, 2014. Rather unusual set.

12. Camden, NJ – September 2, 2000. This is where it all started for me.

13. Seattle, WA – December 6, 2013. The band was in great spirits. The only time I sat behind the stage.

14. Philadelphia, PA – April 28, 2003. Great crowd. Crazy Mary opener.

15. Camden, NJ – May 28, 2006. Kyle Korver left me hanging for a high-five.

16. East Rutherford, NJ - June 3, 2006. Main set power interruption which derailed momentum and flow.

17. Pittsburgh, PA – October 11, 2013. This show was a good tour opener. It exceeded my expectations.

18. Camden, NJ – July 5, 2003. Very, very hot. Plus it rained for 5 minutes to make it extremely humid. Quite disgusting. Main set RitFW, quite rare. I could not see the fireworks from where I was sitting. I enjoy listening to the bootleg more than actually being there.

19. Stockholm, Sweden – June 28, 2014. My lone GA experience. I was 3 people deep dead center.

20. Pittsburgh, PA – June 23, 2006. The only time I went to a show without having a ticket in advance.

21. Hartford, CT – May 13, 2006. This was the coldest show this side of the ice bowl. Temp was in the 40’s. I had to shell out god knows how much for an official merch sweatshirt. May have sat next to Rosario Dawson.

22. Reading, PA – October 1, 2004. My seats were last row floor.

23. Toronto, ON – September 19, 2005. Great crowd. Bono silliness. The only show that I was at where I was sick.

24. Buffalo, NY – May 10, 2010. Fatal.

25. Baltimore, MD – October 27, 2013. Band was in a terrible mood. I enjoy listening to the bootleg more than actually being there.

26. Ottawa, ON – September 14, 2011. Row 1, 2, 9, 10 Lottery winner. Accidentally knocked over a girl while reaching for a pick. She got the pick and offered it to me. I refused and apologized profusely. The only show where I remember boobies being shown.

27. Tulsa, OK – October 8, 2014. I was surrounded by asshole fans. This was the only show where I was unable to engage with the band and concert experience.

28. Philadelphia, PA – October 28, 2009. The worst of the Spectrum shows. The World Series vibe was great, though.

29. New York, NY – June 25, 2008. Great crowd. My seats were 3 rows from the very last row on the floor. Absolutely spectacular feeling the floor shake. Kinda scary too. Awful encore #2 – No More, Last Kiss, Why Go, Black Diamond, Alive, Yellow Ledbetter. That’s my least favorite encore ever. I didn’t care for the background singers during the main set either.

30. Camden, NJ – May 27, 2006. Drunkest crowd that I can remember. Featured Last Kiss with the convicts. Worst Last Kiss ever.

31. Hershey, PA – July 12, 2003. Shitty concert venue. The band was exhausted from the night before and it showed. The only time I heard Help Help, Get Right, Thumbing My Way, Thin Air and Driven to Tears.

32. Boston, MA – September 28, 2004. Great crowd. I disliked both rare covers – American in Me and Bleed For Me. Howard Zinn was brought on stage to say, “Vote.” Tim Robbins was involved. The shortest show I’ve seen. This is my favorite poster, though.

Rerank:

1. Ottawa, ON – September 16, 2005. An awesome show. Spectacular Black and Crazy Mary were highlights. Also featured many of my personal favorites. This was the first time I traveled to a show alone.

2. Hartford, CT – June 27, 2008. One of the most underrated shows of the past 10 years.

3. Philadelphia, PA – October 30, 2009. The best crowd of a show I was at. Row 1, 2, 9, 10 Lottery winner. In Hiding was my single favorite song from a show that I attended.

4. Philadelphia, PA - October 3, 2005. Toughest 10C ticket that I ever tried to get. Great set. The feedback during Crazy Mary prevents this from being higher on my list. That really derailed the momentum and flow.

5. State College, PA – May 3, 2003. The band was in great spirits. A really fun show.

6. Philadelphia, PA – October 31, 2009. Fuck you RM.

7. New York, NY – May 21, 2010. Great crowd. Absolutely spectacular feeling the floor shake. Kinda scary too. Ben Bridwell absolutely killed Hunger Strike – the best guest participation that I witnessed.

8. Chicago, IL – July 19, 2013. Hard to rank. Unforgettable. I plucked a ball from the ivy. It’s my single greatest piece of concert memorabilia. I was grinning like a fool the entire time I was on the field.

9. East Rutherford, NJ - June 3, 2006. Main set power interruption which derailed momentum and flow.

10. Krakow, Poland - July 3, 2018. Probably the most fun I ever had a concert.

11. Vienna, Austria – June 25, 2014. Rather unusual set.

12. Milwaukee, WI - October 20, 2014. Great crowd. The band was in great spirits. Main set Baba, quite rare. Yield in order.

13. Philadelphia, PA – April 28, 2003. Great crowd. Crazy Mary opener.

14. Prague, Czech Republic - July 1, 2018. Great city. Help! into Help, Help was a highlight.

15. Mexico City, Mexico - November 28, 2015. My only bad PJ related trip. The concert was the lone enjoyable portion of the trip.

16. Ottawa, ON - May 8, 2016.

17. Camden, NJ – May 28, 2006. Kyle Korver left me hanging for a high-five.

18. Hartford, CT – May 13, 2006. This was the coldest show this side of the ice bowl. Temp was in the 40’s. I had to shell out god knows how much for an official merch sweatshirt. May have sat next to Rosario Dawson.

19. Chicago, IL - August 22, 2016. I sat in the section from hell. I just wanted the concert to end.

20. Boston, MA - September 4, 2018. Original Immortality was great. How Ed can relearn this but then forget the lyrics of a song they play every night blows my mind.

21. Camden, NJ – June 19, 2008. Very solid show.

22. Seattle, WA – December 6, 2013. The band was in great spirits. The only time I sat behind the stage.

23. Camden, NJ – September 2, 2000. This is where it all started for me.

24. Stockholm, Sweden – June 28, 2014. My lone GA experience. I was 3 people deep dead center.

25. Boston, MA - September 2, 2018. If you tell people to show up early, get your ass on stage early.

26. Chicago, IL - August 20, 2016. The person in from of me bought over $1,000 in merch.

27. Tulsa, OK – October 8, 2014. I was surrounded by asshole fans. This was the only show where I was unable to engage with the band and concert experience.

28. Pittsburgh, PA – October 11, 2013. This show was a good tour opener. It exceeded my expectations.

29. Pittsburgh, PA – June 23, 2006. The only time I went to a show without having a ticket in advance.

30. New York, NY - May 1, 2016.

31. Ottawa, ON – September 14, 2011. Row 1, 2, 9, 10 Lottery winner. Accidentally knocked over a girl while reaching for a pick. She got the pick and offered it to me. I refused and apologized profusely. The only show where I remember boobies being shown.

32. Buffalo, NY – May 10, 2010. Fatal.

33. Reading, PA – October 1, 2004. My seats were last row floor.

34. Toronto, ON – September 19, 2005. Great crowd. Bono silliness. The only show that I was at where I was sick.

35. Camden, NJ – July 5, 2003. Very, very hot. Plus it rained for 5 minutes to make it extremely humid. Quite disgusting. Main set RitFW, quite rare. I could not see the fireworks from where I was sitting. I enjoy listening to the bootleg more than actually being there.

36. Hampton, VA - April 18, 2016. The show was ruined before it even started - PJ announced the Raleigh cancellation a few hours before showtime. A lot of (rightfully) grumpy fans.

37. Baltimore, MD – October 27, 2013. Band was in a terrible mood. I enjoy listening to the bootleg more than actually being there.

38. New York, NY - September 26, 2015. A long day culminated in a short, yet sloppy, greatest hits set. The only time that I saw PJ in a festival setting.

39. Camden, NJ – May 27, 2006. Drunkest crowd that I can remember. Featured Last Kiss with the convicts. Worst Last Kiss ever.

40. New York, NY – June 25, 2008. Great crowd. My seats were 3 rows from the very last row on the floor. Absolutely spectacular feeling the floor shake. Kinda scary too. Awful encore #2 – No More, Last Kiss, Why Go, Black Diamond, Alive, Yellow Ledbetter. That’s my least favorite encore ever. I didn’t care for the background singers during the main set either.

41. Hershey, PA – July 12, 2003. Shitty concert venue. The band was exhausted from the night before and it showed. The only time I heard Help Help, Get Right, Thumbing My Way, Thin Air and Driven to Tears.

42. Philadelphia, PA – October 28, 2009. The worst of the Spectrum shows. The World Series vibe was great, though.

43. Boston, MA – September 28, 2004. Great crowd. I disliked both rare covers – American in Me and Bleed For Me. Howard Zinn was brought on stage to say, “End The War.” Tim Robbins was involved. This is my favorite poster, though.

PostPosted: Sat October 12, 2019 5:37 pm 
The Master

Damn dude, you've been to some great shows.

PostPosted: Sat October 12, 2019 5:48 pm 
mXn

Looking back on this .. all 30 shows I've attended have been exactly the same.

PostPosted: Sat October 12, 2019 5:55 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

1. Milano 06
2. Copenhagen 07
3. Oslo 12
4. Torino 06
5. Oslo 14
6. Roskilde 00

1. Milano 06
Felt like the perfect show. Went with my wife at the time. We broke up six months later after seven years together, but I remember this as a very happy trip, and especially this concert. One of the best crowds I have been a part of. The band sounded better than I have ever heard before or after.

2. Copenhagen 07
Went by myself, shortly after the breakup. Second ticket did not get used. Band was emotional, first time performing in Denmark since Roskilde. The victims family were on stage at one point. Beautiful concert.

3. Oslo 12
Ed had a sore throat. But I went with my mom, so it meant a lot to me. First and only ever concert with her. Had a great time.

4. Torino 06
Not as magical as Milano. Played S/T in a row.

5. Oslo 14
Sound was not very good, and I was far from the stage. Went with one of my brothers. Strangest Tribe made its live debut, it’s one of my favorite songs.

6. Roskilde 00
Tragic. Was a dream come through to be there, but it became one of the worst nights for everyone there.

PostPosted: Sat October 12, 2019 5:58 pm 
mXn

I take that back. I did see Jack Irons the first time. Then 29 identical shows after that.

PostPosted: Sat October 12, 2019 6:09 pm 
The Master

Way too fried at the moment to go back and try to remember every show I've seen -- most of them are in the northeast and they've sort of blurred together -- but the ones that immediately stand out are:

August '96: First time seeing them live, weird venue, 16 years old, Jack, Rodman, No Code... Band was loose and fun, Ed sounded pretty rough, the venue was boomy. But the age at which I saw the show, and the fact that there's no soundboard (and I hate listening to audience recordings), has kept it in a mythical place in my mind.

Mansfield #3 '03: The acoustic pre-set, a real magic in the air, the last of an astounding three-day run. The boots don't do the experience justice.

Mansfield 9-16-98 ["the quarters incident"]: Amazing setlist, amazing party vibe pre-show, band was one fire (even if I didn't like some of Matt's approach on some of the songs), and the quarters incident cast an edgy pall over the rest of the evening that was a great reminder of what an engaging front man Ed could be.

Missoula '18: Extremely bland setlist, and of course it's still modern day PJ, but it just felt so great to meet a bunch of RMers and feel like they're all the sorts of people I'd like to continue to hang out with in real life. Slept in a tipi with 'snatch, got to hang with Strat and his girl a bit the night before the show, met the whole crew for drinks and smokes...I have become extremely blasé about seeing PJ ever since the Backspacer era, but the magic was alive that night like back in the day.

PostPosted: Sat October 12, 2019 6:11 pm 
mXn

tragabigzanda wrote:
Way too fried at the moment to go back and try to remember every show I've seen

Chances are you've already done this no less than 6 times in various other threads over the years of your RM tenure. It's OK.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 256 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Live