The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Live

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Future Days of PJ live?
PostPosted: Sat June 28, 2014 4:27 am 
Broken Tamborine

numbers wrote:
Lament wrote:
I'd like to think you're right that playing in smaller venues might help eliminate some of the party atmosphere. But then again, Ed plays in pretty small places for his solo shows and those still have a party atmosphere. So there's a good chance that even in a venue with 3,000 people it's still gonna feel like a BBQ.

The atmosphere at the solo shows is goddamned scary. I felt like I was at a lunatic convention.

It's weird. I've seen just two of the solo shows (Milwaukee '08 and Minneapolis '11) and I've heard some of the others. And the crowds are terrible, except at that Minneapolis show. I feel like I probably never want to attend another because in Mpls the crowd actually shut up, and at the one spot where some drunkard in the crowd tried to insinuate himself into the show, he was shamed into shutting up. The level of fratboy BBQ crowd yelling mentality at that Milwaukee show made me shrink into my seat. It's embarrassing. And that is what we'd have even if the band played smaller venues.

So my vote goes for Eliminate The Party Atmosphere. Also, no more RITFW until they remember how to put some life into it.

PostPosted: Sat June 28, 2014 5:57 am 
mXn

I wouldn't change a thing.

Every time I have seen PJ live, there is literally nothing else in the world I would have rather been doing.

PostPosted: Sat June 28, 2014 7:46 am 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

The only thing I'd want is for Ed to get his lyrics straight. I mean, sometimes you finally get a song you've been wanting to hear for so long, you feel super excited and then he fucks up the lyrics.

Other than that, no complaints from me.

PostPosted: Sat June 28, 2014 8:22 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

delanoche wrote:
numbers wrote:
Lament wrote:
I'd like to think you're right that playing in smaller venues might help eliminate some of the party atmosphere. But then again, Ed plays in pretty small places for his solo shows and those still have a party atmosphere. So there's a good chance that even in a venue with 3,000 people it's still gonna feel like a BBQ.

The atmosphere at the solo shows is goddamned scary. I felt like I was at a lunatic convention.

It's weird. I've seen just two of the solo shows (Milwaukee '08 and Minneapolis '11) and I've heard some of the others. And the crowds are terrible, except at that Minneapolis show. I feel like I probably never want to attend another because in Mpls the crowd actually shut up, and at the one spot where some drunkard in the crowd tried to insinuate himself into the show, he was shamed into shutting up. The level of fratboy BBQ crowd yelling mentality at that Milwaukee show made me shrink into my seat. It's embarrassing. And that is what we'd have even if the band played smaller venues.

I've only seen one, but it was unreal. I'm not going to say I wouldnt see a solo show again, but I wouldnt be disappointed if I didnt. By the end of the show I almost felt like there had to be something wrong with me if I was at the same place as these people.

PostPosted: Sat June 28, 2014 8:51 pm 
Rank This Poster

I HATE the frat boy/ stupid people (usually girls) mentality at shows. It's really made me decrease the amount of shows I attend the last couple of years.

PostPosted: Sun June 29, 2014 12:58 am 
Poster of the Year

Bammer wrote:

Every time I have seen PJ live, there is literally nothing else in the world I would have rather been doing.

Ah yes, the discerning ear of a fanboy.

PostPosted: Sun June 29, 2014 12:59 am 
Poster of the Year

numbers wrote:
delanoche wrote:
numbers wrote:
Lament wrote:

I've only seen one, but it was unreal. I'm not going to say I wouldnt see a solo show again, but I wouldnt be disappointed if I didnt. By the end of the show I almost felt like there had to be something wrong with me if I was at the same place as these people.

I was at the same show as you. Man that was a weird crowd.

PostPosted: Sun June 29, 2014 4:01 am 
Rank This Poster

Angus wrote:
The only thing I'd want is for Ed to get his lyrics straight. I mean, sometimes you finally get a song you've been wanting to hear for so long, you feel super excited and then he fucks up the lyrics.

Other than that, no complaints from me.

I agree with this. I wish Ed was a lot more professional. And I wish it was still Stone's band.

PostPosted: Sun June 29, 2014 4:09 am 
Posting (live)

If less varied sets meant a tighter band with less lyrical flubs I'm all for it. And less covers.

I like the idea of a featured album bracket for encore 1 with 6-7 tracks so you could get:

Encore 1:
Of The Girl
Sleight Of Hand
NAIS
Grievance
Insignificance
Rival
Parting Ways

PostPosted: Sun June 29, 2014 4:23 am 
The Master

Pearl Jam just needs to drop this idea of them having to be this major touring force that sells out arenas. In PJ20 they replay clips of them talking about Neil Young and how they envy the fact that he comes and goes from the social consciousness. How he goes from playing arenas, to theaters and clubs, and doesnt give a shit.

I would like to see that. They dont need to make a big deal of a new album. Or a new tour. Try new shit on for size even if it fails. They are far too comfortable in their own skin now and it shows in their performance.

PostPosted: Sun June 29, 2014 5:41 am 
10Club Complaint Department

The only things I'd like to see are the band rehearsing the lesser-played songs a bit more before bringing them out and Ed not warbling too much. As far as setlist construction goes, I think they've been doing a pretty good job over the last year or so.

I do long for another arena tour down this end of the Earth; the big stadium/festival shows on the last two tours have been kind of a drag.

PostPosted: Sun June 29, 2014 12:04 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

cutuphalfdead wrote:
numbers wrote:
delanoche wrote:
numbers wrote:
Lament wrote:

I was at the same show as you. Man that was a weird crowd.

My buddy asked me what the name of a song was(I wanna say it was speed of sound) and this girl in the row in front of us shot him a nasty look for not knowing. The same girl also did this maestro thing during each song, as if she was conducting. Best part is, she was a lot more normal than the couple sitting next to me.

PostPosted: Sun June 29, 2014 5:08 pm 
mXn

cutuphalfdead wrote:
Bammer wrote:

Ah yes, the discerning ear of a fanboy.

Card-carrying.

PostPosted: Sun June 29, 2014 5:09 pm 
mXn

Never seen Ed solo. Not sure if I ever will. Not sure if I ever care to.

PostPosted: Mon June 30, 2014 2:08 am 
Rank This Poster

The Ed solo show I saw was a good time, but I never really had any desire to see it a second time.

PostPosted: Mon June 30, 2014 2:33 am 
AnalLog

Iholdthepain wrote:
Am I the only one who thinks they need to do something different live? Many bands have done the whole-album thing, and it's pretty fucking cool! I've seen Floyd do DSOTM, Waters do The Wall, Primus Sailed the Sea of Cheese, SG Superunknown, A Perfect Circle did a whole tour where they played 3 nights in each city, and each night they played one of their albums.

I may be mistaken, but I don't think PJ has ever done anything like this yet,

Well pretty much every show features most of Ten. Okay, slight exaggeration, but especially if they're playing back to back shows in a city, you're going to get 90% of Ten for sure. In other words, if they did this play a single album thing, you and I both know what album it would be. Ten and that's that. It's their bread and butter and they've built their entire live act around playing those same songs nearly every night for the last 20+ years.

PostPosted: Mon June 30, 2014 2:43 am 
Future Drummer

Bammer wrote:
Never seen Ed solo. Not sure if I ever will. Not sure if I ever care to.

Same here.

Seems a little too douchey to me

PostPosted: Mon June 30, 2014 2:45 am 
Future Drummer

PryTo wrote:
Iholdthepain wrote:
Am I the only one who thinks they need to do something different live? Many bands have done the whole-album thing, and it's pretty fucking cool! I've seen Floyd do DSOTM, Waters do The Wall, Primus Sailed the Sea of Cheese, SG Superunknown, A Perfect Circle did a whole tour where they played 3 nights in each city, and each night they played one of their albums.

Well pretty much every show features most of Ten. Okay, slight exaggeration, but especially if they're playing back to back shows in a city, you're going to get 90% of Ten for sure. In other words, if they did this play a single album thing, you and I both know what album it would be. Ten and that's that. It's their bread and butter and they've built their entire live act around playing those same songs nearly every night for the last 20+ years.

So many things wrong in this post, it's tough to count

PostPosted: Mon June 30, 2014 2:58 am 
mXn

hlniv wrote:
PryTo wrote:
Iholdthepain wrote:

So many things wrong in this post, it's tough to count

Agreed.

PostPosted: Mon June 30, 2014 3:04 am 
AnalLog

Yeah, my bad. I'm sure they'd play Binaural all the way through. Or maybe Riot Act. Because they play those songs so often. I'd kill to see them dust off some rarities like Even Flow, Alive, Why Go, Black, or Jeremy.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Live