The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Live

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 214 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2014-10-22: Denver, CO
PostPosted: Fri October 24, 2014 7:12 pm 
Posting (live)

VinylGuy wrote:
Of the earth is fucking average.

It kind of dragged a bit in London 10.

PostPosted: Fri October 24, 2014 7:18 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

LetMeSleep wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:

Man, the denver version is a monster.

PostPosted: Sat October 25, 2014 8:26 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

This was my 5th Pearl Jam show, so I know I'm not as seasoned as many of you. However, I thought this was a pretty spectacular night for many reasons. I'm going to do a rambling commentary about the evening, and maybe not in the order I experienced things.

I was seated at the back corner of the arena on the lower level, which offered a surprisingly good view and great crowd ambiance to the show. The sound probably suffered a bit from my position though.

I'll begin with some overall thoughts about the show. These guys are showing a love for each other again that I have sometimes found lacking. There was genuine warmth being expressed amongst them and Stone honestly appeared back in a band he loved. I've found Stone to look orphaned and alone in his own world sometimes in the past and there was simply none of that at this show. The level of connectivity between the band members also seemed to elevate their musical performance that evening too. It's hard to otherwise describe the mood and interplay between them.

At around 40 songs, this was obviously a pretty special night and I actually thought it was a pretty special crowd too. I'm honestly not a big fan of the Denver crowd normally, or most American crowds, to be honest. But in Denver that night the crowd looked quite into it. Arms were flailing, claps were in unison, smiles were abundant and everyone seemed to be having a great time.

I spent some time comparing the fan club sections with other sections and with past experiences and I think that their current policy is the right choice. It has resulted in a better and more enthusiastic crowd on the floor. While the crowd here may not have been like a South American crowd, it was a fantastic crowd by US standards.

I felt that their performance in Denver had something for just about everyone and I experienced that around my own seating area. I was there to eat up just about anything they had to give, but others around me were clearly more interested in either fast or slow stuff, etc. Some wanted the hits, some wanted the obscure, yet everyone seemed to get what they needed... and then some.

I did not think that the flow of the show was perfect, and I thought that they probably had the lights on too long to close out the night. Yet in all honesty, such complaints are mere quibbles about one hell of an amazing experience that satisfied wildly diverse needs of an arena full of enthusiastic people.

Seven songs off of Ten and songs like Breath and State of Love and Trust made this show a perfect nod back to their origins and a fitting "birthday" celebration. Now on to some personal high points for me and such.

Last Exit into Why Go was particularly tasty. It was a nice press of the pedal that propelled the show forward just as it was feeling it needed it. Ed was talkative and in good spirits throughout the night. It was a rather positive night as far as Ed's topics went. He did not seem to be in the mood for being negative or attacking. The tone was celebratory, even when somber. For instance, I made note of a sign in the crowd that read, "Alive saved my life" and it was clear that Ed was aware of it and things like that throughout the night. He was grateful for good times, good fortune, avoiding a life wasted, appreciative of soldiers and the sacrifices made by their families, etc.

This was my first chance to personally hear Lightning Bolt songs live and not having O'Brien acting as a missing member of Pearl Jam improved them and they sounded much less "poppy." They weren't cured though. Songs like My Father's Son and Future Days still fall into weird territory. For instance, when My Father's Son transforms from a snarl into some island music it felt just as weird live as it does on the album.

During Even Flow, there was a patch of people in the fan section toward the rear of the floor that looked like lifeless zombies. Had these same people been up at the front with similar attitudes and lack of energy, the whole place would have suffered because of it. So to any 10 Clubbers who are still pissed about the changes to priority, it was a self-inflicted wound caused by the apathy of 10 Clubbers.

Songs like Leatherman and Ghost seemed appropriate in the run up to Halloween. It's a shame that Ed wasn't at his best for Ghost, but I also think that for most people Ghost was not the song they were concerned about. Songs like Of The Earth, Leatherman, Don't Gimme No Lip or our awesome Improv/Lukin gave the people who were interested in a song like Ghost more than enough to make them forgive Ed's transgression on Ghost.

Of the Earth was a bit odd as far as flow went and it needed Given To Fly's familiarity and soaring element to bring some of the more casual fans back into the spirit of things. However, Of The Earth's jam was quite nice.

Whatever the Improv/Lukin thing was, it was pretty damn awesome. As the new portion was just about to wrap up, I leaned over and said that it was sort of like Slow Lukin, but different and then Lukin started blasting us. It was an awesome little concert moment that brought a huge smile to my face. I also thought it was fun to have one of those moments, even as a PJ junkie, where I was left wondering what the fuck I was listening to for awhile.

I was craving a meaty version of Porch and the band delivered. As a follow-up to the Lukin spectacle, it was all delicious.

I thought Future Days was pretty much as stillborn as I find it to be on the album. I think it was the wrong choice to come back out with, but whatever.

Imagine and Mother may not have been firsts, but they were quite special for that particular evening. The lights in the arena were simply breathtaking during Imagine and Ed's rendition of Mother was stellar. The two songs worked together quite well.

Last Kiss played to the back of the arena and the band's constant noticing and appreciation of the fans even up in the nosebleed areas helped keep everyone involved in the evening. I don't think there was a person in that arena who felt like the band didn't give a damn about them by the time the performance had ended. This concert felt like it was truly inclusive of everyone and a place where fans of all stripes gathered to share in something special.

Breath, Leash, Rearviewmirrior strung together was particularly good for me. I thought that our RVM was one of the best I'd ever heard. I normally like RVM, but damn this one had a ferocity to it that was a perfect way to head out off stage.

Coming back on stage with Once for the night we were having was perfect. It was like a nod to their 24th anniversary and it was a rendition of the song with some teeth. There were several moments throughout the evening where I realized that this was a band that still had its "balls."

I've grown to love the versions of Black that have the "We belong..." style of ending. We got that and I think it was another quite good version of a staple song. I know I've already said it, but having State of Love and Trust and Breath on the same night was a special treat that was also a perfect nod back to their earlier days. We damn near had an entire album of early material played and played with enthusiasm. They didn't go through the motions with their early stuff as I have honestly seen them do sometimes.

I'm going to go ahead and come and say that I think the ending of the concert could have been a little better. The lights on for so long took a bit away from the fact that the lights were on, in my opinion. The end of the concert is where I started to feel a bit like one of those entitled 10 club pricks who had heard Pearl Jam a few too many times for his own good. I knew what was going on a little too well and even something like the Star Spangled Banner, despite being done quite well, was expected to me. So I guess I'd just encourage them to shake up that aspect of their game a bit more.

I certainly think that this was a tremendous show and I'm looking forward to getting my hands on the bootleg of it. The band seems to have rekindled something and brought Stone back into the fold. Now if they could purge O'Brien and maybe even Boom from acting as additional band members and get back to their inner chemistry, I think the next album could be something remarkable. If they continue on the Backspacer/Lightning Bolt path, I'm concerned. Nonetheless, this band puts on a hell of a live show and it’s good to see them firing on all cylinders as a band again.

PostPosted: Sat October 25, 2014 2:38 pm 
Rank This Poster

Good write up above. I'm curious I hear a lot of people say "American crowds" are not that good. I'd love for some folks to elaborate on that? Like too much what or not enough of what?? I don't like most crowds but I also don't like most people so I'm biased. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat October 25, 2014 4:32 pm 
Rank This Poster

BigRedLedbetter wrote:
Good write up above. I'm curious I hear a lot of people say "American crowds" are not that good. I'd love for some folks to elaborate on that? Like too much what or not enough of what?? I don't like most crowds but I also don't like most people so I'm biased. :mrgreen:

i think SA gets a great rep for being enthusiastic music fans in general. bands from slayer to dmb have mentioned how exciting it is to play in SA. i remember when pearl jam first went there they were amazed at the reaction from the fans. one thing specifically mentioned was how SA fans sang along with guitar riffs. ed tried doing this in the states a few times with DTE, but it sounded forced. im pretty sure it came from the SA crowds though

PostPosted: Sat October 25, 2014 5:03 pm 
A Return To Form

I hadn't seen them since they came here with Petty in '06. Well worth the wait. The energy in the building was amazing. The band and the crowd both seemed locked in and intense. I had shitty seats, but even in the nosebleeds I rarely saw anyone sitting for any songs.

I went with a buddy who was, what I would say a casual PJ fan. Stopped paying attention around the No Code/Yield era. But He's been to a ton of other concerts in the meantime and he couldn't stop raving about how good the show was afterwards. Not that I needed the validation but it added to what I thought was a special night. I'm just getting my full voice back.

PostPosted: Sat October 25, 2014 6:07 pm 
Champion of RM

warehouse wrote:
BigRedLedbetter wrote:

i think SA gets a great rep for being enthusiastic music fans in general. bands from slayer to dmb have mentioned how exciting it is to play in SA. i remember when pearl jam first went there they were amazed at the reaction from the fans. one thing specifically mentioned was how SA fans sang along with guitar riffs. ed tried doing this in the states a few times with DTE, but it sounded forced. im pretty sure it came from the SA crowds though

SA crowds would be my nightmare - they are packed in like sardines. I need my space, even if it's just a little. I hope there are 10C reserved seat options if they tour there next year. If the rumor schedule is accurate, I'd probably go to Costa Rica.

PostPosted: Sat October 25, 2014 6:32 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

I can't listen to SA boots because of the singing along with the guitar riffs. Hate it.

PostPosted: Sat October 25, 2014 10:04 pm 
10Club Complaint Department

warehouse wrote:
one thing specifically mentioned was how SA fans sang along with guitar riffs. ed tried doing this in the states a few times with DTE, but it sounded forced.

He still tries this at almost every show and it never fails to completely throw the band off (see the newly-released Austin boot).

CopperTom wrote:
SA crowds would be my nightmare

Mine too.

PostPosted: Sat October 25, 2014 11:02 pm 
Future Drummer

BigRedLedbetter wrote:

It's a bullshit stereotype that comes from the long absence of GA at US shows and that it makes some people feel superior. I've seen them play in 5 countries and the crowds have all been basically the same.

PostPosted: Sun October 26, 2014 12:45 am 
Poster of the Year

broken iris wrote:
BigRedLedbetter wrote:

It's a bullshit stereotype that comes from the long absence of GA at US shows and that it makes some people feel superior. I've seen them play in 5 countries and the crowds have all been basically the same.

pearl jam fans are pearl jam fans and pearl jam fans are the worst

PostPosted: Sun October 26, 2014 2:56 am 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

Soulfire wrote:
This was my 5th Pearl Jam show, so I know I'm not as seasoned as many of you. However, I thought this was a pretty spectacular night for many reasons. I'm going to do a rambling commentary about the evening, and maybe not in the order I experienced things.

I was seated at the back corner of the arena on the lower level, which offered a surprisingly good view and great crowd ambiance to the show. The sound probably suffered a bit from my position though.

I'll begin with some overall thoughts about the show. These guys are showing a love for each other again that I have sometimes found lacking. There was genuine warmth being expressed amongst them and Stone honestly appeared back in a band he loved. I've found Stone to look orphaned and alone in his own world sometimes in the past and there was simply none of that at this show. The level of connectivity between the band members also seemed to elevate their musical performance that evening too. It's hard to otherwise describe the mood and interplay between them.

At around 40 songs, this was obviously a pretty special night and I actually thought it was a pretty special crowd too. I'm honestly not a big fan of the Denver crowd normally, or most American crowds, to be honest. But in Denver that night the crowd looked quite into it. Arms were flailing, claps were in unison, smiles were abundant and everyone seemed to be having a great time.

I spent some time comparing the fan club sections with other sections and with past experiences and I think that their current policy is the right choice. It has resulted in a better and more enthusiastic crowd on the floor. While the crowd here may not have been like a South American crowd, it was a fantastic crowd by US standards.

I felt that their performance in Denver had something for just about everyone and I experienced that around my own seating area. I was there to eat up just about anything they had to give, but others around me were clearly more interested in either fast or slow stuff, etc. Some wanted the hits, some wanted the obscure, yet everyone seemed to get what they needed... and then some.

I did not think that the flow of the show was perfect, and I thought that they probably had the lights on too long to close out the night. Yet in all honesty, such complaints are mere quibbles about one hell of an amazing experience that satisfied wildly diverse needs of an arena full of enthusiastic people.

Seven songs off of Ten and songs like Breath and State of Love and Trust made this show a perfect nod back to their origins and a fitting "birthday" celebration. Now on to some personal high points for me and such.

Last Exit into Why Go was particularly tasty. It was a nice press of the pedal that propelled the show forward just as it was feeling it needed it. Ed was talkative and in good spirits throughout the night. It was a rather positive night as far as Ed's topics went. He did not seem to be in the mood for being negative or attacking. The tone was celebratory, even when somber. For instance, I made note of a sign in the crowd that read, "Alive saved my life" and it was clear that Ed was aware of it and things like that throughout the night. He was grateful for good times, good fortune, avoiding a life wasted, appreciative of soldiers and the sacrifices made by their families, etc.

This was my first chance to personally hear Lightning Bolt songs live and not having O'Brien acting as a missing member of Pearl Jam improved them and they sounded much less "poppy." They weren't cured though. Songs like My Father's Son and Future Days still fall into weird territory. For instance, when My Father's Son transforms from a snarl into some island music it felt just as weird live as it does on the album.

During Even Flow, there was a patch of people in the fan section toward the rear of the floor that looked like lifeless zombies. Had these same people been up at the front with similar attitudes and lack of energy, the whole place would have suffered because of it. So to any 10 Clubbers who are still pissed about the changes to priority, it was a self-inflicted wound caused by the apathy of 10 Clubbers.

Songs like Leatherman and Ghost seemed appropriate in the run up to Halloween. It's a shame that Ed wasn't at his best for Ghost, but I also think that for most people Ghost was not the song they were concerned about. Songs like Of The Earth, Leatherman, Don't Gimme No Lip or our awesome Improv/Lukin gave the people who were interested in a song like Ghost more than enough to make them forgive Ed's transgression on Ghost.

Of the Earth was a bit odd as far as flow went and it needed Given To Fly's familiarity and soaring element to bring some of the more casual fans back into the spirit of things. However, Of The Earth's jam was quite nice.

Whatever the Improv/Lukin thing was, it was pretty damn awesome. As the new portion was just about to wrap up, I leaned over and said that it was sort of like Slow Lukin, but different and then Lukin started blasting us. It was an awesome little concert moment that brought a huge smile to my face. I also thought it was fun to have one of those moments, even as a PJ junkie, where I was left wondering what the fuck I was listening to for awhile.

I was craving a meaty version of Porch and the band delivered. As a follow-up to the Lukin spectacle, it was all delicious.

I thought Future Days was pretty much as stillborn as I find it to be on the album. I think it was the wrong choice to come back out with, but whatever.

Imagine and Mother may not have been firsts, but they were quite special for that particular evening. The lights in the arena were simply breathtaking during Imagine and Ed's rendition of Mother was stellar. The two songs worked together quite well.

Last Kiss played to the back of the arena and the band's constant noticing and appreciation of the fans even up in the nosebleed areas helped keep everyone involved in the evening. I don't think there was a person in that arena who felt like the band didn't give a damn about them by the time the performance had ended. This concert felt like it was truly inclusive of everyone and a place where fans of all stripes gathered to share in something special.

Breath, Leash, Rearviewmirrior strung together was particularly good for me. I thought that our RVM was one of the best I'd ever heard. I normally like RVM, but damn this one had a ferocity to it that was a perfect way to head out off stage.

Coming back on stage with Once for the night we were having was perfect. It was like a nod to their 24th anniversary and it was a rendition of the song with some teeth. There were several moments throughout the evening where I realized that this was a band that still had its "balls."

I've grown to love the versions of Black that have the "We belong..." style of ending. We got that and I think it was another quite good version of a staple song. I know I've already said it, but having State of Love and Trust and Breath on the same night was a special treat that was also a perfect nod back to their earlier days. We damn near had an entire album of early material played and played with enthusiasm. They didn't go through the motions with their early stuff as I have honestly seen them do sometimes.

I'm going to go ahead and come and say that I think the ending of the concert could have been a little better. The lights on for so long took a bit away from the fact that the lights were on, in my opinion. The end of the concert is where I started to feel a bit like one of those entitled 10 club pricks who had heard Pearl Jam a few too many times for his own good. I knew what was going on a little too well and even something like the Star Spangled Banner, despite being done quite well, was expected to me. So I guess I'd just encourage them to shake up that aspect of their game a bit more.

I certainly think that this was a tremendous show and I'm looking forward to getting my hands on the bootleg of it. The band seems to have rekindled something and brought Stone back into the fold. Now if they could purge O'Brien and maybe even Boom from acting as additional band members and get back to their inner chemistry, I think the next album could be something remarkable. If they continue on the Backspacer/Lightning Bolt path, I'm concerned. Nonetheless, this band puts on a hell of a live show and it’s good to see them firing on all cylinders as a band again.

This is one of the best reviews, and best posts I've read around here in a long while. You acknowledge the diversity of opinions in the PJ fanbase perfectly, rather than some self-serving narcissistic opinion which doesn't account for the reality of the whole of the fanbase, good on you. I wish there were more such balanced viewpoints around here. (Although I disagree and think Backspacer is a stellar record haha).

Really interesting what was said here about Stone. I've said for years that Stone was out of sorts within the band for various reasons, and to see this change is very encouraging as a fan. His excitement would really inject something into the band at this point. Diversifying the songwriting all those years ago was a wise choice because I think if they wedded their ideas to Stone's well, they may have petered out in the late 90s and wouldn't even be around now. It also let them try on new identities especially in the Binaural Riot Act era, to varying degrees of success and non success. Having him have a rebirth in the band maybe good in the same way Mike's presence within the band injected something in them around 98 and may be something that could give them a real late career rejuvenation. I wouldn't want them to be like the Rolling Stone's, hating each other in the last half of their career. That wouldn't be worth it.

And finally, the way that the band, and especially Ed, orchestrates a show to speak to each individual audience member and then unite them by the end of the show is something that is truly specially and sight to behold. It's an art form he's perfected. Charging certain individual 'types' (ie the greatest hit fans, mellow fans, rocker fans, early fans, late fans, old fans, etc) and then finding ways to communicate is something I hope lots of other bands learn from.

The ten club GA rule couldn't have been more of a success. The first world whining that came up when seniority fans got "shafted" really made me sour on that portion of the fanbase which have gone to countless shows and have no gas in their tanks. I similarly get aggravated by fans that board posting versions of those bored Even Flow fans you described. The band clearly felt that a new energy was needed at the expense of possibly pissing off some longtime fans. The experiment paid off. I don't see them ever going back from that. I personally go to shows hoping its communal and the back of the arena is digging it as much as the front. I live a rarity like anyone, but a string of them loses the back half and drains the show. I want to walk out like I just experienced something with 17,000 friends. All the best shows do that.

PostPosted: Sun October 26, 2014 2:57 am 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

Soulfire wrote:

This is one of the best reviews, and best posts I've read around here in a long while. You acknowledge the diversity of opinions in the PJ fanbase perfectly, rather than some self-serving narcissistic opinion which doesn't account for the reality of the whole of the fanbase, good on you. I wish there were more such balanced viewpoints around here. (Although I disagree and think Backspacer is a stellar record haha).

Really interesting what was said here about Stone. I've said for years that Stone was out of sorts within the band for various reasons, and to see this change is very encouraging as a fan. His excitement would really inject something into the band at this point. Diversifying the songwriting all those years ago was a wise choice because I think if they wedded their ideas to Stone's well, they may have petered out in the late 90s and wouldn't even be around now. It also let them try on new identities especially in the Binaural Riot Act era, to varying degrees of success and non success. Having him have a rebirth in the band maybe good in the same way Mike's presence within the band injected something in them around 98 and may be something that could give them a real late career rejuvenation. I wouldn't want them to be like the Rolling Stone's, hating each other in the last half of their career. That wouldn't be worth it.

And finally, the way that the band, and especially Ed, orchestrates a show to speak to each individual audience member and then unite them by the end of the show is something that is truly specially and sight to behold. It's an art form he's perfected. Charging certain individual 'types' (ie the greatest hit fans, mellow fans, rocker fans, early fans, late fans, old fans, etc) and then finding ways to communicate is something I hope lots of other bands learn from.

The ten club GA rule couldn't have been more of a success. The first world whining that came up when seniority fans got "shafted" really made me sour on that portion of the fanbase which have gone to countless shows and have no gas in their tanks. I similarly get aggravated by fans that board posting versions of those bored Even Flow fans you described. The band clearly felt that a new energy was needed at the expense of possibly pissing off some longtime fans. The experiment paid off. I don't see them ever going back from that. I personally go to shows hoping its communal and the back of the arena is digging it as much as the front. I live a rarity like anyone, but a string of them loses the back half and drains the show. I want to walk out like I just experienced something with 17,000 friends. All the best shows do that.

PostPosted: Sun October 26, 2014 3:07 am 
jeeeesus relax already

Pretty much all of the shows i saw had stone rocking like a madman. Specially in acl 09. I wont forget his take on Mountain song with perry...the guy would not stop rocking.

PostPosted: Sun October 26, 2014 10:44 am 
The worst

Guys, I'm getting increasingly pissed that they gave nyc a pass this tour...

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Sun October 26, 2014 11:42 am 
Future Drummer

VinylGuy wrote:
LetMeSleep wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:

Man, the denver version is a monster.

Dublin, Pensacola, and Denver are the best versions I've heard. The post-Dublin versions in 2010/2011 were too toned down for the song to work it's magic.

PostPosted: Mon October 27, 2014 2:12 pm 
Future Drummer

Of The Earth - audience recording

Improv/Slow Lukin/Lukin - audience recording

Sleight of Hand - audience recording

PostPosted: Mon October 27, 2014 2:57 pm 
Rank This Poster

stip wrote:
Guys, I'm getting increasingly pissed that they gave nyc a pass this tour...

I love it!

PostPosted: Tue October 28, 2014 6:14 pm 
Broken Tamborine

That was excellent

PostPosted: Tue October 28, 2014 6:35 pm 
Rank This Poster

Evvo wrote:

That was excellent

Wow. Really like that.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 214 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Live