The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Live

Post subject: Re: PJ Lightning Bolt Live (a compilation by ridleybradout)
PostPosted: Mon March 27, 2017 10:23 pm 
AnalLog

lowlight79 wrote:
MadTIGERmaN wrote:
lowlight79 wrote:
bada wrote:
Ridley or anybody else, do you find when making mixes that crowd noise dictates sequencing more than track selection? Sometimes I"ll take an extended encore crowd noise snippet, mix it, fade it, or mess with volume for a nice flow between radically different crowd noise but more often than not my perfect track list gets blown apart and reordered to make smooth crowd noise transitions. Anyone have tricks for this?

For me, it is rarely it plays a part. I have found so many ways in the past few years to get around it or manipulate it that I have found so many ways I can make it better in past things I've done. For example, I am tearing apart my 2003 mix nightly and trying to make it alot better right now. Some tricks I use is making a seperate track of just crowd noise as bridge between two tracks, they I usually burn the disc and add the noise one of the tracks and rework it to sound perfect.

its, A LOT easier to do with PJ's official bootlegs, especially on one given tour, as the sound tends to be more consistent.

The nightmare is taken multiple different sources to mix a mega compilation. When we put together the Sleater-Kinney live vault years ago, there was a couple of really good versions of songs that took a lot of editing to get just right. The PJ encore break splice was always a favorite of mine. I think ive even used a few PJ encore breaks on other bands live comps ive made over the years

It's funny you say that because I am working on my 2011 - 2016 mix now. And if seems as different years of sources is giving me trouble. But I was gonna not use as many encore breaks, but I am keeping them

2011-2012, 2013-2014 and 2015-2016 have different-sounding mixes from one another. That's why I won't make multi-year mixes...it just doesn't sound right to my ears. Good on you for trying...you're a bigger man than me.

PostPosted: Tue March 28, 2017 8:03 pm 
Future Drummer

matt reeder wrote:
lowlight79 wrote:
MadTIGERmaN wrote:
lowlight79 wrote:
bada wrote:
Ridley or anybody else, do you find when making mixes that crowd noise dictates sequencing more than track selection? Sometimes I"ll take an extended encore crowd noise snippet, mix it, fade it, or mess with volume for a nice flow between radically different crowd noise but more often than not my perfect track list gets blown apart and reordered to make smooth crowd noise transitions. Anyone have tricks for this?

For me, it is rarely it plays a part. I have found so many ways in the past few years to get around it or manipulate it that I have found so many ways I can make it better in past things I've done. For example, I am tearing apart my 2003 mix nightly and trying to make it alot better right now. Some tricks I use is making a seperate track of just crowd noise as bridge between two tracks, they I usually burn the disc and add the noise one of the tracks and rework it to sound perfect.

its, A LOT easier to do with PJ's official bootlegs, especially on one given tour, as the sound tends to be more consistent.

The nightmare is taken multiple different sources to mix a mega compilation. When we put together the Sleater-Kinney live vault years ago, there was a couple of really good versions of songs that took a lot of editing to get just right. The PJ encore break splice was always a favorite of mine. I think ive even used a few PJ encore breaks on other bands live comps ive made over the years

It's funny you say that because I am working on my 2011 - 2016 mix now. And if seems as different years of sources is giving me trouble. But I was gonna not use as many encore breaks, but I am keeping them

2011-2012, 2013-2014 and 2015-2016 have different-sounding mixes from one another. That's why I won't make multi-year mixes...it just doesn't sound right to my ears. Good on you for trying...you're a bigger man than me.

Trust me, it's a harder then I thought. But I am moving along. I had to remove a track or two and add different ones in. it's not to bad once you normalize the tracks. I am really trying to make some crazy sets, throw the script out window and put some songs where people would never think to hear them.

PostPosted: Mon April 03, 2017 7:40 pm 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

Love this mix better than the actual record. Dear Pearl Jam, Please hire ridleybradout to produce your albums and fire B'OB.. Thanks. :D

PostPosted: Wed April 19, 2017 5:08 pm 
A Return To Form

Can someone please PM me a link to this? Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon June 12, 2017 1:43 pm 
The version of Swallowed Whole on this comp is :nice: . The chorus has space and atmosphere that they didn't capture in the studio.

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Live