The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Live

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 180 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: 4/3/1994 Atlanta*The 20th anniversary thread*
PostPosted: Thu April 03, 2014 6:16 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

Captain Termite wrote:
Quote:
This where I think the band's braintrust and there thinking a straight shit.

What does this sentence mean?

:lol:

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Thu April 03, 2014 6:21 pm 
Future Drummer

BurtReynolds wrote:
Captain Termite wrote:
Quote:
This where I think the band's braintrust and there thinking a straight shit.

What does this sentence mean?

:lol:

Sorry, not a straight shit, but getting there shit straight. :haha:

PostPosted: Thu April 03, 2014 6:56 pm 
Future Drummer

94 Porch is a BEAST. Dave man, DAVE.
lowlight79 wrote:
.’ This show was broadcast on radio, as well as Ed’s 45-minute DJ session from a van after the show. (The original Monkeywrench Radio?).
[Ed's DJ set: Cigarettes (King's X), I Only Play for Money (The Frogs), A Little Story (Daniel Johnson), Joy Without Pleasure (Daniel Johnson), Androgynous Mind (Sonic Youth), In the Blood (Mudhoney), Disconnect (Rollins Band), Baby Drop (Shudder to Think), Let Down Left Out Laughed At (Eleven), Dock of the Bay (PJ w/ Steve Cropper 3/26/94)]
At the end of the broadcast, Ed says, “… umm, Pete Townshend and uh (laughs) … Kurt Cobain. Hope he’s all right, please be all right. Thanks for letting us come into your houses and your cars and your ears (laughs) and uh, sorry about the mess. Sorry we left a mess. I’ll see you guys later take care… bye.”

We''re those DJ/ radio set things ed did recorded? He drove around in a truck and did sets after all the shows or something? Or was that 95?

Such a cool thing to do, would have been an awesome time to be a fan. I, sadly, was 5 at the time.

PostPosted: Thu April 03, 2014 7:44 pm 
Future Drummer
 WWW  Profile

I remembered them playing Not For You at this show because I thought Ed made some comment about all the radio sponsor banners and then they went into Not For You. But I don't see that on the tracklist for the link that's posted in the OP. Also, I've been linking for this show lately and I have yet to find a version that has Not For You listed?

PostPosted: Thu April 03, 2014 7:50 pm 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

bluestate wrote:
I remembered them playing Not For You at this show because I thought Ed made some comment about all the radio sponsor banners and then they went into Not For You. But I don't see that on the tracklist for the link that's posted in the OP. Also, I've been linking for this show lately and I have yet to find a version that has Not For You listed?

They played it the night before. But maybe you are thinking of the show in 1996 that was broadcast on the radio?

PostPosted: Thu April 03, 2014 8:10 pm 
Future Drummer
 WWW  Profile

Captain Termite wrote:
bluestate wrote:

They played it the night before. But maybe you are thinking of the show in 1996 that was broadcast on the radio?

'96 doesn't ring a bell. Maybe it was the Soldier Field show? That was also an FM broadcast.

PostPosted: Thu April 03, 2014 8:15 pm 
Banned from the Pit

Captain Termite wrote:
bluestate wrote:

I believe this is the 7/11/95 Soldier Field show you are thinking of.

Great thread and great memories for the 4/3 show. I was wrapping up my freshman year of college (I guess that makes me an old guy now?) and I recorded it with my double tape deck boom box (you know, for "dubbing"). Still have the tape and the box and it still works! Great tags - something about "torture" and "reward" at the end of Rats. Not For You tag at the end of Blood. Agreed this is STILL the version of Garden by which all others are judged. Best McCready solo ever, and that is quite a statement. The first several songs will still melt your face off. And the end is just fantastic, with the chaos of Porch followed by a very mellow Indifference played to a half-empty room (many thought the show was over after Porch I suppose).

Great show. Great memories. great thread.

PostPosted: Thu April 03, 2014 8:15 pm 
Future Drummer
 WWW  Profile

Yep, it's Solider Field '95.

"The flying bugs with banners from radio stations... F'in up the view"

PostPosted: Thu April 03, 2014 8:24 pm 
Banned from the Pit

I was at this show. I was supposed to go to the Saturday show, but my cousin told me on Friday that he was taking his girlfriend instead. One of his friends had a spare ticket to the Sunday show (because he couldn't find anyone willing to pay $150 to see Pearl Jam), so I bailed him out. Best screwing-over ever - I don't regret any of that.

I have so many memories of that night, but I don't want to bore the shit out of everyone. Simply put, this is easily the best concert I've ever seen, hands-down. Out of the twelve or so PJ shows I've seen, this one is comfortably the number one. (The Toronto '11 shows and Charlotte '96 would be next on the list.)

The lights came on after "Porch" ended, and the two of us ran out to beat the rush. Yeah, I missed "Indifference". (I've still never seen it live.)

Btw - the tour poster from that tour is an absolute atrocity. (My mom had it framed - I think I ended up leaving it at their house when I moved out.)

Also - face value on the ticket: $18 plus $3.50 service fees.

Birds in Hell wrote:
I believe Kurt had been officially reported "missing" a few days before the show after leaving rehab in LA (by famously jumping the wall, if I'm not mistaken) and catching a flight back to Seattle.

At that time, it wasn't widely known that Kurt had jumped the wall. I spent yesterday listening to a (six-hour VHS) tape of 99X from April 2nd, and one of the djs mentioned that Nirvana "had broken up" on April 1st, citing "sources close to the band" - I think that's pretty much what anyone knew at that point. The Rome incident in March wasn't yet described as a suicide attempt - Nirvana's management insisted it was just an accidental overdose. (The doctor who treated him insisted the same.)

Last edited by csblackb on Fri April 04, 2014 3:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu April 03, 2014 8:35 pm 
Future Drummer
 WWW  Profile

The opening drums on RVM are just so freakin' sick...

:wave: Dave A.

PostPosted: Fri April 04, 2014 3:27 am 
Future Drummer

I came across disc 2 of 3 of the Dissident single somehow - Jeremy->Black. Some random record store had it, and I couldn't believe my "find". I went out and bought the singles soundtrack like immediately, to get the proper SOLAT. That little fade out as Alive was starting was like torture, eventually I found disc 3, and then disc 1.

This is the show that started my live PJ experience. I ended up finding some sort of PJ group through Prodigy (anyone remember that?), and began trading shows through about 1996. I still have a box of the old tapes.

Once I realized that the Dissident single cut out the Vitalogy tunes and Sonic Reducer, and had to find the full show, which I did pretty easily. I was hooked.

PostPosted: Fri April 04, 2014 1:44 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

csblackb wrote:
I was at this show. I was supposed to go to the Saturday show, but my cousin told me on Friday that he was taking his girlfriend instead. One of his friends had a spare ticket to the Sunday show (because he couldn't find anyone willing to pay $150 to see Pearl Jam), so I bailed him out. Best screwing-over ever - I don't regret any of that.

I have so many memories of that night, but I don't want to bore the shit out of everyone. Simply put, this is easily the best concert I've ever seen, hands-down. Out of the twelve or so PJ shows I've seen, this one is comfortably the number one. (The Toronto '11 shows and Charlotte '96 would be next on the list.)

The lights came on after "Porch" ended, and the two of us ran out to beat the rush. Yeah, I missed "Indifference". (I've still never seen it live.)

Btw - the tour poster from that tour is an absolute atrocity. (My mom had it framed - I think I ended up leaving it at their house when I moved out.)

Also - face value on the ticket: $18 plus $3.50 service fees.

Birds in Hell wrote:
I believe Kurt had been officially reported "missing" a few days before the show after leaving rehab in LA (by famously jumping the wall, if I'm not mistaken) and catching a flight back to Seattle.

At that time, it wasn't widely known that Kurt had jumped the wall. I spent yesterday listening to a (six-hour VHS) tape of 99X from April 2nd, and one of the djs mentioned that Nirvana "had broken up" on April 1st, citing "sources close to the band" - I think that's pretty much what anyone knew at that point. The Rome incident in March wasn't yet described as a suicide attempt - Nirvana's management insisted it was just an accidental overdose. (The doctor who treated him insisted the same.)

Very cool. If there's more to tell about this show, please tell. :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Sat April 05, 2014 9:38 pm 
Posting (live)

I had no idea that this gig had happened before I found Fight For Your Cause in a small independent record shop in Gosport (Hampshire, UK) in the summer of 1994 (July-August). I was in England because my grandfather was dying of cancer.

I had bought many PJ boots of hugely varying quality but slapping down 30-40quid for this tracklist was a no brainer. Also, I knew that Octopus was a decent enough boot label. Turns out this was the best boot I ever purchased and would probably be top 2 desert island live CDs (along with Bob's Manchester 66 show).

I picked up the Dissident singles later on but was totally bummed by the editing. Fight FYC was the real deal (even with the digital glitch in Alive).

Top show and I enjoyed the listen last week. The opening Release>RVM>Whipping is brutal. Even Flow bounces nicely. Garden is amazing and I agree that it may be the best version I've heard. Satan'S Bed and Better man are the definitive versions too. The closing of Sonic Reducer>Porch (best ever too although Indio 93 comes close)>Indifference is perfection.

This boot kept me sane till Vitalogy was released and I saw them the first time in March 95.

PostPosted: Sat April 05, 2014 9:59 pm 
10Club Complaint Department

stupidmop wrote:
lowlight79 wrote:
.’ This show was broadcast on radio, as well as Ed’s 45-minute DJ session from a van after the show. (The original Monkeywrench Radio?).
[Ed's DJ set: Cigarettes (King's X), I Only Play for Money (The Frogs), A Little Story (Daniel Johnson), Joy Without Pleasure (Daniel Johnson), Androgynous Mind (Sonic Youth), In the Blood (Mudhoney), Disconnect (Rollins Band), Baby Drop (Shudder to Think), Let Down Left Out Laughed At (Eleven), Dock of the Bay (PJ w/ Steve Cropper 3/26/94)]
At the end of the broadcast, Ed says, “… umm, Pete Townshend and uh (laughs) … Kurt Cobain. Hope he’s all right, please be all right. Thanks for letting us come into your houses and your cars and your ears (laughs) and uh, sorry about the mess. Sorry we left a mess. I’ll see you guys later take care… bye.”

We''re those DJ/ radio set things ed did recorded? He drove around in a truck and did sets after all the shows or something? Or was that 95?

Such a cool thing to do, would have been an awesome time to be a fan. I, sadly, was 5 at the time.

I'm pretty sure some of those old radio broadcasts with Ed are circulating, I can't recall which ones though.

PostPosted: Sat April 05, 2014 10:10 pm 
Champion of RM

Birds in Hell wrote:
stupidmop wrote:
lowlight79 wrote:

I'm pretty sure some of those old radio broadcasts with Ed are circulating, I can't recall which ones though.

I know Atlanta 94 and Berlin 96 were recorded and circulate.

PostPosted: Sat April 05, 2014 11:19 pm 
what on earth am I talking about

To echo an earlier sentiment, it really was the first time I or many of us had access to the Pj live experience. And what a way to start. Still my definitive version of Release. Listened to it love on the radio. It was magical. I still think Whippin is called Would be owing to some super overpriced bootleg cd set I bought of the show:)
Would have loved to have seen them in 94

PostPosted: Sun April 06, 2014 1:42 am 
A Return To Form

Glad I clicked on this thread. Made me crank the old SV016 release of this show. Forgotten just how good it is. Even Flow is a cracker here as well. Ed does sound fantastic this night. Heard this on a boot CD - I would still have somewhere - and then later I bought the singles box that had the dissident three cd digipack. The one in the felt box with the metal window on the side - still have that somewhere too. It was missing about four songs from memory including Sonic Reducer. It was late 94 or 95 when boots became massive here - had these $5 boot cds showing up. Before that it was $35-$50 for a single disc boot and $70 plus for a double. From memory I paid $70 for Brixton - a lot of money for a uni student back then. The $5 boots were short lived as it was due to a loophole in copyright law here and they quickly fixed that...

PostPosted: Sun April 06, 2014 1:46 am 
Posting (live)

brisjam wrote:
Glad I clicked on this thread. Made me crank the old SV016 release of this show. Forgotten just how good it is. Even Flow is a cracker here as well. Ed does sound fantastic this night. Heard this on a boot CD - I would still have somewhere - and then later I bought the singles box that had the dissident three cd digipack. The one in the felt box with the metal window on the side - still have that somewhere too. It was missing about four songs from memory including Sonic Reducer. It was late 94 or 95 when boots became massive here - had these $5 boot cds showing up. Before that it was $35-$50 for a single disc boot and $70 plus for a double. From memory I paid $70 for Brixton - a lot of money for a uni student back then. The $5 boots were short lived as it was due to a loophole in copyright law here and they quickly fixed that...

The Unauthorised CDs that appeared in those army disposal stores. Get some boots and a CD or two. Those light blue ones were only 1 track per disc too which pissed me off

PostPosted: Sun April 06, 2014 4:44 am 
A Return To Form

That's the ones. I got a few Metallica ones as well and I think even a GNR show - that was a steaming pile and I gave it to a mate. Was good while it lasted. In Brisbane you could get boots from the Rockin' Horse B. store. Man I used to love that place. There was a record store on Adelaide street which had racks and racks of those Unauthorised shows. I remember going in there a couple of days after the Brisbane shows in 95 and the guy who owned the place told us the band had been there - first we thought he was talking shit and then he produced the picture to prove it... He had a lot of photos up on the wall from the Brisbane shows.

PostPosted: Sun April 06, 2014 9:10 am 
what on earth am I talking about

Whoever owned that Italian bootleg company 'kiss the stone', I think I must have bought them at least a car.
All our import bootlegs came from there and were usually around £25/30 at the time (think about $40 or $50 US equivalent at the time).
And they always were just audience recordings except a few radio broadcasts from euro stations

Have them all still though.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 180 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Live