The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Live

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 180 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: 4/3/1994 Atlanta*The 20th anniversary thread*
PostPosted: Wed April 09, 2014 2:08 am 
Future Drummer

I've never seen a photograph from this show. For some reason, it adds to the mystique. Of course, they're are probably better '94 shows (Florida, comes to mind) But this one, is 94 in a nutshell. Loud, unhinged, and to use a shitty metaphor, its the sound of a band about to be caught in a fucking tidal wave.

Have you considered stacking papers and getting paid?

PostPosted: Wed April 09, 2014 2:36 am 
Future Drummer

The only pic I ever saw was of a banner in the upper deck that read "Pearl Jam VS. Atlanta"... which led Ed to preface Porch by saying, "I think you won, but I enjoyed the fight..."

PostPosted: Wed April 09, 2014 8:41 am 
what on earth am I talking about

super nintendo chalmers wrote:
I've never seen a photograph from this show. For some reason, it adds to the mystique. Of course, they're are probably better '94 shows (Florida, comes to mind) But this one, is 94 in a nutshell. Loud, unhinged, and to use a shitty metaphor, its the sound of a band about to be caught in a fucking tidal wave.

I'd say the wave was really building already. They were huge when this show took place, it being broadcast worldwide definitely crystallised a moment and propelled it to a huge other level.

PostPosted: Wed April 09, 2014 8:48 am 
10Club Complaint Department

super nintendo chalmers wrote:
I've never seen a photograph from this show. For some reason, it adds to the mystique.

For such an iconic Pearl Jam show, it is pretty incredible that there aren't any photos or video circulating.

There was footage of WMA shown in the on-site museum at PJ20 but I think that's the extent of it.

PostPosted: Wed April 09, 2014 10:03 am 
what on earth am I talking about

Are there pics from this in the lance mercer book?
I thought there was

PostPosted: Fri April 11, 2014 5:49 am 
Broken Tamborine

Jeremy and Whipping so intense on this.

PostPosted: Fri April 11, 2014 6:01 am 
Future Drummer

Yea, always loved the skip of the first chorus and the extended ending. Jeff's bass sounds thunderous! Great Jeremy, indeed.

Coming up on the Orpheum's Theater's 20th in a few days, and nearing the end of Dave's run with the band :cry:

PostPosted: Tue April 15, 2014 6:28 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

to echo some earlier comments, I'm absolutely shocked there are no photos or videos. I remember walking into the pj museum thingy at alpine and seeing the WMA video, and thinking "oh my god. it exists. please release it"

PostPosted: Tue April 15, 2014 10:29 pm 
Future Drummer

Maybe during the band's 'Post-R&R Hall Of Fame Moneygrab' era, it will be released :D

PostPosted: Fri April 18, 2014 9:41 pm 
A Return To Form
 WWW  Profile

http://wegotshit.blogspot.com/2012/02/a ... aster.html

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 5:54 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

I listened to disc 2 of the 3 disc pack so many times my freshman and sophomore year of college I've lost count.

This version of black is still my definitive version.

This cd pack and concert was what got me into trading tapes of other shows. That and the explosion of the internet and email.

When I grew up and bought a house, I eventually tossed all my tapes. I'm not really sure why - I probably had over 200 concerts by that point - but didn't have a tape player anymore and all these were on tapes as it was pre CD-R era.

But I'll always remember this "official" bootleg and concert.

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 12:50 am 
Lost Cat

I was there. As the guy earlier in the thread said, the sign Vedder Vs. Atlanta prompted the "you won the fight" quip. Then i remember Jeff folding back the 'V' and the sign then reading 'Edder Vs. Atlanta.'

Other details- Eddie climbed the lighting rig during the long jam on the perfect 'Porch' and he had taken a life-size doll up there with hiim, dressed it exactly like he (Eddie) was dressed, then shoved it off the rig. The funny part? Almost no one realized what had happened. The catwalk at the Fox is deep into the stage area so the falling doll was behind Dave's drum riser. So the attempt at major shock value was lost! I did talk to one other person a couple of years ago and he remembered it and looked around and he said the same thing-- no one acknowledged the catastrophic and fatal fall of 'Eddie Vedder.' He and I both thought PJ would need a new singer. I think the fact that no one noticed was partly a result of the band absolutely slamming on Porch. Everyone in that theater was *way* into every note of every song.

The weird drum intro thing before the encore that some have mentioned? That was Eddie V playing live. You can hear it on the boot b/c Jeff or Stone says 'ladies and gentleman..DAVE ABBRUZESSE!...Otherwise known as 'Four Feet." It was EV on the skins (they were playing a joke on the radio audience).

i remember the stage decor being particularly striking- the WMA on the cross (from the Vs artwork) was the backdrop. Very moody lighting. candles everywhere. pretty spectacular-- especially in a gorgeous place like the Fox.

I was 16 at the time. Like some have said here just CRAZY into PJ. I had this great bootleg called "We're Gonna Hungry" (yes thats how they spelled it) and could not wait to see them live. They announced tickets went on sale suddenly-- like on a tuesday afternoon. a buddy of mine at school forced me to get in his car asap (i remember complaining about missing out on tickets in the parking lot). we raced to the nearest ticket outlet (no internet buying then). We were second to last let in the door. Just barely made it.

The rest is history. I've since seen PJ 51 times and they remain my favorite band (fave PJ era is the Vitalogy->Binaural run). That 4/3/94 show is still top 5 (and I've seen some big ones: Seattle '00, MSG '03, Wrigley, Gorge 06, Constitution Hall, etc). Even produced a TV show which Ed appeared on as a guest (he's a great guy).

What a moment.

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 1:07 am 
Champion of RM

Mononash wrote:
Other details- Eddie climbed the lighting rig during the long jam on the perfect 'Porch' and he had taken a life-size doll up there with hiim, dressed it exactly like he (Eddie) was dressed, then shoved it off the rig. The funny part? Almost no one realized what had happened. The catwalk at the Fox is deep into the stage area so the falling doll was behind Dave's drum riser. So the attempt at major shock value was lost! I did talk to one other person a couple of years ago and he remembered it and looked around and he said the same thing-- no one acknowledged the catastrophic and fatal fall of 'Eddie Vedder.' He and I both thought PJ would need a new singer. I think the fact that no one noticed was partly a result of the band absolutely slamming on Porch. Everyone in that theater was *way* into every note.

I've seen footage of this prank. I thought it was from a different show though. Maybe it was a repeating gag on that tour. Just imagine if he pulled that gag nowadays. It would be priceless.

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 12:46 am 
A Return To Form

Mononash wrote:
I was there. As the guy earlier in the thread said, the sign Vedder Vs. Atlanta prompted the "you won the fight" quip. Then i remember Jeff folding back the 'V' and the sign then reading 'Edder Vs. Atlanta.'

Other details- Eddie climbed the lighting rig during the long jam on the perfect 'Porch' and he had taken a life-size doll up there with hiim, dressed it exactly like he (Eddie) was dressed, then shoved it off the rig. The funny part? Almost no one realized what had happened. The catwalk at the Fox is deep into the stage area so the falling doll was behind Dave's drum riser. So the attempt at major shock value was lost! I did talk to one other person a couple of years ago and he remembered it and looked around and he said the same thing-- no one acknowledged the catastrophic and fatal fall of 'Eddie Vedder.' He and I both thought PJ would need a new singer. I think the fact that no one noticed was partly a result of the band absolutely slamming on Porch. Everyone in that theater was *way* into every note of every song.

The weird drum intro thing before the encore that some have mentioned? That was Eddie V playing live. You can hear it on the boot b/c Jeff or Stone says 'ladies and gentleman..DAVE ABBRUZESSE!...Otherwise known as 'Four Feet." It was EV on the skins (they were playing a joke on the radio audience).

i remember the stage decor being particularly striking- the WMA on the cross (from the Vs artwork) was the backdrop. Very moody lighting. candles everywhere. pretty spectacular-- especially in a gorgeous place like the Fox.

I was 16 at the time. Like some have said here just CRAZY into PJ. I had this great bootleg called "We're Gonna Hungry" (yes thats how they spelled it) and could not wait to see them live. They announced tickets went on sale suddenly-- like on a tuesday afternoon. a buddy of mine at school forced me to get in his car asap (i remember complaining about missing out on tickets in the parking lot). we raced to the nearest ticket outlet (no internet buying then). We were second to last let in the door. Just barely made it.

The rest is history. I've since seen PJ 51 times and they remain my favorite band (fave PJ era is the Vitalogy->Binaural run). That 4/3/94 show is still top 5 (and I've seen some big ones: Seattle '00, MSG '03, Wrigley, Gorge 06, Constitution Hall, etc). Even produced a TV show which Ed appeared on as a guest (he's a great guy).

What a moment.

Thanks for sharing these really cool recollections of one of the great Pearl Jam moments IMO.

This was a popularly traded show here in Australia, especially given the really cool promo CD that got distributed around the country featuring the *complete* show which a couple of people I know actually ended up with (and they aren't even huge PJ fans...).

PostPosted: Tue April 23, 2019 4:11 pm 
Broken Tamborine

Pit User 55450 wrote:
Spring Tour '94 Special SiriusXM Pearl Jam Radio April 16th 2019

MP3 https://we.tl/t-qzLgnQObwq

Tracks played ..

3.9.94 Pensacola, FL - I Won't Back Down
The Frogs / Eddie Vedder - I Only Play 4 Money 3.13.94
3.13.94 Chicago, IL - Angel
3.20.94 Ann Arbor, MI - Nothingman
Pearl Jam / Steve Cropper - (Sittin' On) The Dock Of The Bay
4.2.94 Atlanta, GA - Out Of My Mind
4.3.94 Atlanta, GA - Satan's Bed
Eddie Vedder / Cameron Crowe Interview
4.3.94 Atlanta, GA - Porch
Kathy Davis Interview
4.8.94 Fairfax, VA - Indifference
Mark Arm Interview
4.12.94 Boston, MA - Sonic Reducer (ft. Mark Arm)
4.12.94 Boston, MA - Immortality
4.17.94 New York, NY - Footsteps

PostPosted: Thu April 25, 2019 1:30 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

littlecomment wrote:
Pit User 55450 wrote:

Tracks played ..

Kathy Davis Interview
Mark Arm Interview

Anything upgraded?

PostPosted: Thu April 25, 2019 7:55 pm 
Broken Tamborine

ducko wrote:
littlecomment wrote:
Pit User 55450 wrote:

Tracks played ..

Kathy Davis Interview
Mark Arm Interview

Anything upgraded?

I don't believe so.

PostPosted: Thu April 25, 2019 8:30 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

I need to listen to this again.

Such a powerful show.

PostPosted: Sat April 27, 2019 6:51 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

littlecomment wrote:
ducko wrote:
littlecomment wrote:
Pit User 55450 wrote:

Tracks played ..

Kathy Davis Interview
Mark Arm Interview

Anything upgraded?

I don't believe so.

Bummer :(

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 5:38 am 
Looks Like a Cat

Iholdthepain wrote:
*the first ever performance of Betterman and Satan's Bed

late to the game here, but I will challenge this one mention about betterman. it actually debuted a year earlier at the slim's show in san francisco after they just finished making vs.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 180 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Live