The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Live




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 446 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 23  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: 2014 Official Bootlegs
PostPosted: Tue April 01, 2014 7:55 am 
Offline
User avatar
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 9:38 pm
Posts: 11812
ridleybradout wrote:
The Gold Coast show is pretty rough vocally from Ed I'm afraid

Yeah, GC is overall pretty ho-hum after Auckland.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: 2014 Official Bootlegs
PostPosted: Fri April 04, 2014 10:44 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Posting (live)
 Profile

Joined: Wed February 06, 2013 2:47 am
Posts: 18907
Location: Hunter
Started Sydney. About 5 tracks in and the band is tight. Ed is struggling for breath from the outset, must have been the drinks throughout the day.

Promising.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: 2014 Official Bootlegs
PostPosted: Sat April 05, 2014 3:38 am 
Offline
User avatar
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 10:33 pm
Posts: 2041
Location: Rand McNally
LetMeSleep wrote:
Started Sydney. About 5 tracks in and the band is tight. Ed is struggling for breath from the outset, must have been the drinks throughout the day.

Promising.

Things really get going in the first encore. This is a prime example of a crowd being able to lift a run-of-the-mill show into something special.

Incidentally, at 2hr41min (and 3 CDs) I believe this is the longest show PJ have ever played in Australia (at a festival no less!)

Melbourne sounds pretty good so far too - great version of Lowlight and probably the best Sirens yet :nice:


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: 2014 Official Bootlegs
PostPosted: Sat April 05, 2014 5:56 am 
Offline
User avatar
AnalLog
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 3:04 pm
Posts: 1590
Location: Heathrow, FL
I just heard My Father's Son I think from Adelaide on my pj radio playing on my iPad. Sounded pretty good, but I'm pretty high right now.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: 2014 Official Bootlegs
PostPosted: Thu April 10, 2014 2:13 am 
Offline
User avatar
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 10:33 pm
Posts: 2041
Location: Rand McNally
lowlight79 wrote:
I just heard My Father's Son I think from Adelaide on my pj radio playing on my iPad. Sounded pretty good, but I'm pretty high right now.

Adelaide and Perth boots released today - look forward to hearing a decent version of MFS.

Happy to report that we finally have a nailed version of Getaway - this Perth performance freakin' rocks, the guitars have real grunt (as does Ed's voice) :nice:


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: 2014 Official Bootlegs
PostPosted: Thu April 10, 2014 2:26 am 
Offline
User avatar
Rank This Poster
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Thu January 31, 2013 7:03 am
Posts: 5287
Location: by the ocean
ridleybradout wrote:
lowlight79 wrote:
I just heard My Father's Son I think from Adelaide on my pj radio playing on my iPad. Sounded pretty good, but I'm pretty high right now.

Adelaide and Perth boots released today - look forward to hearing a decent version of MFS.

Happy to report that we finally have a nailed version of Getaway - this Perth performance freakin' rocks, the guitars have real grunt (as does Ed's voice) :nice:

better than the sydney one? i thought that was pretty good.

_________________
Dev wrote:
those who are fulfilled by life are either simpletons or lack conscientiousness.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: 2014 Official Bootlegs
PostPosted: Thu April 10, 2014 11:16 am 
Offline
User avatar
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 10:33 pm
Posts: 2041
Location: Rand McNally
WtOB? wrote:
ridleybradout wrote:
lowlight79 wrote:
I just heard My Father's Son I think from Adelaide on my pj radio playing on my iPad. Sounded pretty good, but I'm pretty high right now.

Adelaide and Perth boots released today - look forward to hearing a decent version of MFS.

Happy to report that we finally have a nailed version of Getaway - this Perth performance freakin' rocks, the guitars have real grunt (as does Ed's voice) :nice:

better than the sydney one? i thought that was pretty good.

I probably jumped the gun on this - Sydney are a bit tighter and more accurate lyrics-wise (as is Melbourne), but Perth just kinda feels better.

I think it's slightly further down-tuned, which allows Ed to really growl out his vocals.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: 2014 Official Bootlegs
PostPosted: Thu April 10, 2014 11:45 am 
Offline
User avatar
AnalLog
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 3:04 pm
Posts: 1590
Location: Heathrow, FL
ridleybradout wrote:
WtOB? wrote:
ridleybradout wrote:
lowlight79 wrote:
I just heard My Father's Son I think from Adelaide on my pj radio playing on my iPad. Sounded pretty good, but I'm pretty high right now.

Adelaide and Perth boots released today - look forward to hearing a decent version of MFS.

Happy to report that we finally have a nailed version of Getaway - this Perth performance freakin' rocks, the guitars have real grunt (as does Ed's voice) :nice:

better than the sydney one? i thought that was pretty good.

I probably jumped the gun on this - Sydney are a bit tighter and more accurate lyrics-wise (as is Melbourne), but Perth just kinda feels better.

I think it's slightly further down-tuned, which allows Ed to really growl out his vocals.


After going through thr 2 LA boots, I might just jump to the aussie shows for now.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: 2014 Official Bootlegs
PostPosted: Thu April 10, 2014 11:54 am 
Offline
Misplaced My Sponge
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 6:06 pm
Posts: 6101
lowlight79 wrote:
Sounded pretty good, but I'm pretty high right now.


This should be a promotional sticker on the front of all modern-era PJ bootlegs.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: 2014 Official Bootlegs
PostPosted: Thu April 10, 2014 12:05 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 10:33 pm
Posts: 2041
Location: Rand McNally
lowlight79 wrote:
After going through thr 2 LA boots, I might just jump to the aussie shows for now.

Don't do it man! Portland and Calgary to Seattle are probably the best of the 2013 boots :nice:


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: 2014 Official Bootlegs
PostPosted: Thu April 10, 2014 12:20 pm 
Offline
User avatar
AnalLog
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 3:04 pm
Posts: 1590
Location: Heathrow, FL
ridleybradout wrote:
lowlight79 wrote:
After going through thr 2 LA boots, I might just jump to the aussie shows for now.

Don't do it man! Portland and Calgary to Seattle are probably the best of the 2013 boots :nice:



But I have to still get through Oakland which I hear is worse then the two LA shows!


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: 2014 Official Bootlegs
PostPosted: Thu April 10, 2014 12:28 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 10:33 pm
Posts: 2041
Location: Rand McNally
lowlight79 wrote:
ridleybradout wrote:
lowlight79 wrote:
After going through thr 2 LA boots, I might just jump to the aussie shows for now.

Don't do it man! Portland and Calgary to Seattle are probably the best of the 2013 boots :nice:



But I have to still get through Oakland which I hear is worse then the two LA shows!

Image
(Go straight to Portlandia...)


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: 2014 Official Bootlegs
PostPosted: Thu April 10, 2014 2:03 pm 
Offline
User avatar
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 9:38 pm
Posts: 11812
I'm sorry to admit I haven't enjoyed the other BDO shows I've heard (GC, Melbourne) anywhere near as much as I did Auckland.

I haven't listened to Sydney yet but I might come back to the rest of the shows later.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: 2014 Official Bootlegs
PostPosted: Thu April 10, 2014 5:33 pm 
Offline
User avatar
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Thu March 21, 2013 1:08 am
Posts: 1663
Location: Pennsyltucky
So what are the 3 BDO shows I should consider buying?

Sounds like Auckland - YES, Gold Coast - NO

Between Perth, Sydney, Adelaide and Melbourne... what other 2 should I check out? Sounds like maybe Perth and Sydney?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: 2014 Official Bootlegs
PostPosted: Thu April 10, 2014 8:54 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Wed May 01, 2013 4:29 pm
Posts: 2804
Kevin Davis wrote:
lowlight79 wrote:
Sounded pretty good, but I'm pretty high right now.


This should be a promotional sticker on the front of all modern-era PJ bootlegs.


They should probably wack it on any future releases too.

THE NEW PEARL JAM ALBUM.FIVE STARS. EDDIE VEDDER SAYS "Sounded pretty good, but I'm pretty high right now".


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: 2014 Official Bootlegs
PostPosted: Thu April 10, 2014 11:04 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 10:33 pm
Posts: 2041
Location: Rand McNally
bluestate wrote:
So what are the 3 BDO shows I should consider buying?

Sounds like Auckland - YES, Gold Coast - NO

Between Perth, Sydney, Adelaide and Melbourne... what other 2 should I check out? Sounds like maybe Perth and Sydney?

Sydney is one of those shows that was a blast in person, a real party atmosphere where the crowd became part of the show, and the band is in good spirits. Unfortunately that doesn't translate too well on the boot, especially with the crowd mixed so low. Ed is pretty blind from the start of the show, but taking that into consideration he doesn't do much worse vocally than most of the 2013 shows.

Melbourne was really enjoyable, Perth was a bit sloppy like GC. Haven't heard Adelaide yet.

This blog is a great read to get the song by song lowdown on the boots - they're spot on most of the time :thumbsup:

http://pjbootlegreviews.blogspot.com.au/


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: 2014 Official Bootlegs
PostPosted: Fri April 11, 2014 1:21 am 
Offline
A Return To Form
 Profile

Joined: Tue March 12, 2013 10:21 am
Posts: 148
I'm usually an advocate for Adelaide shows - always up with the best - but this one is a dog's breakfast :-(


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: 2014 Official Bootlegs
PostPosted: Fri April 11, 2014 4:03 am 
Offline
User avatar
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 9:38 pm
Posts: 11812
injuddstree wrote:
I'm usually an advocate for Adelaide shows - always up with the best - but this one is a dog's breakfast :-(

That good, huh?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: 2014 Official Bootlegs
PostPosted: Fri April 11, 2014 4:28 am 
Offline
User avatar
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 9:38 pm
Posts: 11812
ridleybradout wrote:
This blog is a great read to get the song by song lowdown on the boots - they're spot on most of the time :thumbsup:

http://pjbootlegreviews.blogspot.com.au/

:nice:

This guy is on-point.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: 2014 Official Bootlegs
PostPosted: Fri April 11, 2014 1:14 pm 
Offline
User avatar
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Thu March 21, 2013 1:08 am
Posts: 1663
Location: Pennsyltucky
Birds in Hell wrote:
ridleybradout wrote:
This blog is a great read to get the song by song lowdown on the boots - they're spot on most of the time :thumbsup:

http://pjbootlegreviews.blogspot.com.au/

:nice:

This guy is on-point.


Yea, I've been reading his reviews of the 2013 boots and I found them very helpful. However, I tend to like the "party" atmosphere shows (San Diego and Spokane) even if it leads to a little sloppiness. It just adds something unique that not every show has.

Here's a quote from his review of Spokane:
"As many of my PJ bootleg reviews may indicate, the “party” or “wild” shows don’t tend to hold up well for me on bootleg. I can only imagine how much of a blast it would have been to be at this gig, but the boot is a tad below average."

He says something very similar in his writeup for Sydney. So for Marcus, shows like Oklahoma City and Pittsburgh get much higher ratings because their just solid shows with few mistakes. But for me, there's nothing really special that jumps out at me from those types of shows. So it sounds like I would like Sydney more than the average fan.


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 446 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 23  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Live


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
It is currently Wed October 17, 2018 12:30 pm