The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Live

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 446 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2014 Official Bootlegs
PostPosted: Sat December 20, 2014 11:55 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

dimejinky99 wrote:
That's as close to an admission of guilt as you're ever gonna give :)

Interesting take.

PostPosted: Sun December 21, 2014 12:03 am 
Future Drummer

I don't think it has anything to do with "mistakes". The mistakes are a general side effect of the main problem: They don't have chemistry like they used to. The fire/passion is gone, and obviously so. They still have good nights and bad nights, but they generally sound like they are disinterested. They are not the tight, hungry band they were from 1992-2006. If you think they still sound as vital as they did back then, good for you. I would rather listen to an old show or something else entirely.

PostPosted: Sun December 21, 2014 12:44 am 
jeeeesus relax already

I dont agree with the not chemistry at all. I feel they are more passioned now than in 2000 or 2004.
The tours are short and you can listen to every one of those shows..and yes, recent shows have been somehow pretty bad for a pj show.

But this year was amazing. And 2013 too.

PostPosted: Sun December 21, 2014 1:46 am 
10Club Complaint Department

2 points to factor in are that they aren't playing together as much as they used which leads to less tight performances (generally unless you are a top musician which they aren't).

Secondly, the catalogue that they are drawing from has vastly increased. In 93 they had a pool of 40-50 odd songs and they were playing together almost daily.

PostPosted: Sun December 21, 2014 4:06 am 
what on earth am I talking about

WHen did the each show ends up being a party thing start?
around or just after 2003?

PostPosted: Sun December 21, 2014 8:08 am 
Future Drummer

dimejinky99 wrote:

I think so.

Damn, Dime... What a pissy, aggressive attitude... because God forbid someone has a different opinion.

Fucking RM... Why do I even bother?

PostPosted: Sun December 21, 2014 11:31 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

The sloppiness was at its peak from 2008 to 2012.
Right now it's rather the length of the shows and the banter which keeps the Bootlegs from being great. There really arent that many flubs. Mostly I listen to the first 5 or 10 songs and think 'Hey they are pretty good' but then Ed slowly loses his vocal power. From a bootleg perspective a mainset of 15 songs and 7 in the encores would be much more enjoyable.
Something like this:

Pendulum
Of the Girl
Low Light
MYM
Lightning Bolt
Why Go
Corduroy
I am Mine
NAIS
Even Flow
Daughter
Present Tense
Given To Fly
MFS
Do The Evoulution
Porch
------
Sleeping By Myself
Off He Goes
Black
Go
------
Rockin in the free world
Alive

Doesnt look too sexy but they could nail something like this. But again: I'm talking from a Bootleg perspective.

PostPosted: Sun December 21, 2014 11:44 am 
Looks Like a Cat

That's exactly the kind of set I'd love to see them play.

PostPosted: Sun December 21, 2014 1:23 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

I agree with dime in that idea of pj fans being a group of whinners. There is always something...oh i miss dave, i hate Jack, i dont like no code, i hate Binaural, the 2006 tour sucks. ..

As someone who listen to pretty much every show; this past tour was great. The setlists were great; pendulum and mym are fucking great, and there were amazing versions of old classics.

PostPosted: Sun December 21, 2014 2:23 pm 
Future Drummer

I've never seen/heard someone say they hate Jack or don't like No Code or Binaural. I do miss the days of Dave, and I do think they're much worse than pre-2000... That doesn't make me a crybaby, just because my opinion is different from yours. I think the vast majority of PJ fans are perfectly content with the band right now.

Besides, the greatest idea the band has ever had was just implemented recently...

Holiday gift cards!!!

:haha:

PostPosted: Sun December 21, 2014 2:49 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

Oh i wasnt talking about you; and those complaints were the main idea pj fans had around that time/era.
the merch stuff...there used to be tons of merch in the past..why is it bothering people so much?
my only complaint is that there is not new music. I want more music.

PostPosted: Sun December 21, 2014 5:04 pm 
AnalLog

I just checked in here from vacation to say that I respect Spenno's evaluations of Pearl Jam more than almost anybody here. He really knows what he's talking about, and even if you don't agree with him you have to respect his taste.

I'm on team Spenno. Actually, all the Aussies here are great dudes.

PostPosted: Sun December 21, 2014 6:12 pm 
Future Drummer

VinylGuy wrote:
Oh i wasnt talking about you; and those complaints were the main idea pj fans had around that time/era.
the merch stuff...there used to be tons of merch in the past..why is it bothering people so much?

Ok, then substitute me for anyone. Why the venom, name-calling, etc?

I don't mind he difference of opinion, reading/hearing other points of view, but that breaks down into anger and intolerance so much here.

PostPosted: Sun December 21, 2014 6:28 pm 
Champion of RM

It's funny that our collective opinion of 2014 is relatively similar, yet everyone is at each others throats.

A bit off topic, but mentioned much earlier in the thread, Spenno, what were the 2009 Australian shows that you like so much? I relistened to a few lately and still don't find them strong.

PostPosted: Sun December 21, 2014 6:29 pm 
Rank This Poster

dimejinky99 wrote:

Kinda. The 2004 shows were intense as hell.

PostPosted: Sun December 21, 2014 7:02 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

Iholdthepain wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:

Ok, then substitute me for anyone. Why the venom, name-calling, etc?

I don't mind he difference of opinion, reading/hearing other points of view, but that breaks down into anger and intolerance so much here.

Again; im not saying they cant be right about stuff. Those were examples of past things pj fans hated and now adore. Thats why i was adressing how difficult is to keep a pj fan happy.
Different opinions are good; i dont even care about the 2003-04 tour and think the 2008 and 10 are the worst ones of the band.

PostPosted: Sun December 21, 2014 7:49 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

CopperTom wrote:
A bit off topic, but mentioned much earlier in the thread, Spenno, what were the 2009 Australian shows that you like so much? I relistened to a few lately and still don't find them strong.

Aside from very much enjoying the show I saw on that tour, I don't think the 2009 Australian/NZ shows are terribly strong either (at least in comparison to the band's wider career, they're still good shows for 2009). I haven't listened to any of them in years, mind you.

The 2006 Australian tour, on the other hand, is just superb. Great, great shows.

PostPosted: Sun December 21, 2014 8:20 pm 
Champion of RM

Birds in Hell wrote:
CopperTom wrote:

Aside from very much enjoying the show I saw on that tour, I don't think the 2009 Australian/NZ shows are terribly strong either (at least in comparison to the band's wider career, they're still good shows for 2009). I haven't listened to any of them in years, mind you.

The 2006 Australian tour, on the other hand, is just superb. Great, great shows.

Ok, which 2006 Australia shows were your favorites? I don't think I've listened to those since they were first released.

PostPosted: Sun December 21, 2014 9:43 pm 
what on earth am I talking about

I remember the 2000 shows having a real sense of occasion, a real sense of an almost dark/unpredictable vibe..
that flip or shift is a strange thing. Makes sense seeing how someone like Springsteens shows go, very celebratory and party-like, that they'd follow that. Could also just be Ed was in a better/happier place post 20xx

the change is a strange one though

PostPosted: Sun December 21, 2014 9:45 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

CopperTom wrote:
Ok, which 2006 Australia shows were your favorites? I don't think I've listened to those since they were first released.

They're all pretty great but Melbourne II, Sydney III, Newcastle, Adelaide I, Adelaide II and Perth are all fantastic.

Spoiler: show
11/14/06 – Rod Laver Arena, Melbourne, Australia
set: Go, Last Exit, Brain of J, World Wide Suicide, Given To Fly, Severed Hand, Low Light, Elderly Woman…, Gone, Do The Evolution, Even Flow, Lukin, Not For You/(Modern Girl), Life Wasted, Better Man, Glorified G, Porch
first encore: Thumbing My Way, Last Kiss, Crazy Mary, Alive
second encore: Big Wave, Blood, Leash, Baba O’Riley, Indifference

11/18/06 – Acer Arena, Sydney, Australia
set: Better Man(Save it for Later), Last Exit, Animal, World Wide Suicide, Corduroy, Severed Hand, Given To Fly, I Am Mine, Green Disease, Even Flow, Marker in the Sand, Gone, Daughter/(Beds Are Burning), Grievance, Comatose, Rearviewmirror
first encore: Soon Forget, Inside Job, Elderly Woman…, Last Kiss, Alive
second encore: Jeremy, Lukin, Do The Evolution, I Got You, Smile, Rockin’ in the Free World, Yellow Ledbetter

11/19/06 – Newcastle Entertainment Centre, Newcastle, Australia
set: Alive, Life Wasted, Severed Hand, Save You, Insignificance, Unemployable, Brain Of J, Red Mosquito, Given To Fly, Last Exit, Hail Hail, Elderly Woman…, Better Man, Daughter/(War), Whipping, Leatherman, Down, Do The Evolution, Undone, Rearviewmirror
first encore: Thumbing My Way, Masters Of War, Footsteps, Crown of Thorns, Alone, Even Flow
second encore: Corduroy, Fuckin’ Up, Rockin’ in the Free World, Yellow Ledbetter/(Little Wing)

11/21/06 – Adelaide Entertainment Centre, Adelaide, Australia
set: Elderly Woman…, Go, Do The Evolution, Gods’ Dice, Once, Immortality, State Of Love And Trust, Wishlist, World Wide Suicide, Even Flow, Severed Hand, Army Reserve, Daughter/(Beds Are Burning/War), Why Go, Given To Fly, Interstellar Overdrive, Corduroy
first encore: Man of the Hour, No Woman, No Cry, Better Man/Save it for Later, Black, Life Wasted, Alive
second encore: Last Kiss, Don’t Gimme No Lip, Sad, Last Exit, Jeremy, Baba O’Riley

11/22/06 – Adelaide Entertainment Centre, Adelaide, Australia
set: Porch, Animal, Spin The Black Circle, Hail Hail, Do The Evolution, Nothing As it Seems, Love Boat Captain, Throw Your Hatred Down, World Wide Suicide, Severed Hand, 1/2 Full, Thin Air, MFC, Present Tense, Not For You(Modern Girl), Elderly Woman…, Even Flow
first encore: Inside Job, Wasted Reprise, Better Man, Crazy Mary, Alive
second encore: I Believe In Miracles, Satan’s Bed, Blood, Rockin’ in the Free World, Yellow Ledbetter

11/25/06 – Subiaco Oval, Perth, Australia
set: Go, Animal, Do The Evolution, Comatose, Corduroy, Severed Hand, Given To Fly, Marker in the Sand, Elderly Woman…, World Wide Suicide, In Hiding, Even Flow, Daughter/(Mother), U, Insignificance, Jeremy, Big Wave, Lukin, Rearviewmirror
first encore: Throw Your Arms Around Me, Last Kiss, Better Man/(Save it for Later), State Of Love And Trust, Black, Alive
second encore: Wasted Reprise, Why Go, I Got You, Blood, Rockin’ in the Free World

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 446 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Live