The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Live

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 446 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 23  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2014 Official Bootlegs
PostPosted: Tue April 01, 2014 7:55 am 
"Supersonic sucks."

ridleybradout wrote:
The Gold Coast show is pretty rough vocally from Ed I'm afraid

Yeah, GC is overall pretty ho-hum after Auckland.

PostPosted: Fri April 04, 2014 10:44 pm 
10Club Complaint Department

Started Sydney. About 5 tracks in and the band is tight. Ed is struggling for breath from the outset, must have been the drinks throughout the day.

Promising.

PostPosted: Sat April 05, 2014 3:38 am 
Future Drummer

LetMeSleep wrote:
Started Sydney. About 5 tracks in and the band is tight. Ed is struggling for breath from the outset, must have been the drinks throughout the day.

Promising.

Things really get going in the first encore. This is a prime example of a crowd being able to lift a run-of-the-mill show into something special.

Incidentally, at 2hr41min (and 3 CDs) I believe this is the longest show PJ have ever played in Australia (at a festival no less!)

Melbourne sounds pretty good so far too - great version of Lowlight and probably the best Sirens yet :nice:

PostPosted: Sat April 05, 2014 5:56 am 
Future Drummer

I just heard My Father's Son I think from Adelaide on my pj radio playing on my iPad. Sounded pretty good, but I'm pretty high right now.

PostPosted: Thu April 10, 2014 2:13 am 
Future Drummer

lowlight79 wrote:
I just heard My Father's Son I think from Adelaide on my pj radio playing on my iPad. Sounded pretty good, but I'm pretty high right now.

Adelaide and Perth boots released today - look forward to hearing a decent version of MFS.

Happy to report that we finally have a nailed version of Getaway - this Perth performance freakin' rocks, the guitars have real grunt (as does Ed's voice) :nice:

PostPosted: Thu April 10, 2014 2:26 am 
Rank This Poster
 WWW  Profile

ridleybradout wrote:
lowlight79 wrote:

Adelaide and Perth boots released today - look forward to hearing a decent version of MFS.

Happy to report that we finally have a nailed version of Getaway - this Perth performance freakin' rocks, the guitars have real grunt (as does Ed's voice) :nice:

better than the sydney one? i thought that was pretty good.

PostPosted: Thu April 10, 2014 11:16 am 
Future Drummer

WtOB? wrote:
ridleybradout wrote:
lowlight79 wrote:

I probably jumped the gun on this - Sydney are a bit tighter and more accurate lyrics-wise (as is Melbourne), but Perth just kinda feels better.

I think it's slightly further down-tuned, which allows Ed to really growl out his vocals.

PostPosted: Thu April 10, 2014 11:45 am 
Future Drummer

ridleybradout wrote:
WtOB? wrote:
ridleybradout wrote:
lowlight79 wrote:

I probably jumped the gun on this - Sydney are a bit tighter and more accurate lyrics-wise (as is Melbourne), but Perth just kinda feels better.

I think it's slightly further down-tuned, which allows Ed to really growl out his vocals.

After going through thr 2 LA boots, I might just jump to the aussie shows for now.

PostPosted: Thu April 10, 2014 11:54 am 
tl;dr

lowlight79 wrote:
Sounded pretty good, but I'm pretty high right now.

This should be a promotional sticker on the front of all modern-era PJ bootlegs.

PostPosted: Thu April 10, 2014 12:05 pm 
Future Drummer

lowlight79 wrote:
After going through thr 2 LA boots, I might just jump to the aussie shows for now.

Don't do it man! Portland and Calgary to Seattle are probably the best of the 2013 boots :nice:

PostPosted: Thu April 10, 2014 12:20 pm 
Future Drummer

ridleybradout wrote:
lowlight79 wrote:

Don't do it man! Portland and Calgary to Seattle are probably the best of the 2013 boots :nice:

But I have to still get through Oakland which I hear is worse then the two LA shows!

PostPosted: Thu April 10, 2014 12:28 pm 
Future Drummer

lowlight79 wrote:
ridleybradout wrote:
lowlight79 wrote:

But I have to still get through Oakland which I hear is worse then the two LA shows!

(Go straight to Portlandia...)

PostPosted: Thu April 10, 2014 2:03 pm 
"Supersonic sucks."

I'm sorry to admit I haven't enjoyed the other BDO shows I've heard (GC, Melbourne) anywhere near as much as I did Auckland.

I haven't listened to Sydney yet but I might come back to the rest of the shows later.

PostPosted: Thu April 10, 2014 5:33 pm 
Future Drummer
 WWW  Profile

So what are the 3 BDO shows I should consider buying?

Sounds like Auckland - YES, Gold Coast - NO

Between Perth, Sydney, Adelaide and Melbourne... what other 2 should I check out? Sounds like maybe Perth and Sydney?

PostPosted: Thu April 10, 2014 8:54 pm 
Future Drummer

Kevin Davis wrote:
lowlight79 wrote:
Sounded pretty good, but I'm pretty high right now.

This should be a promotional sticker on the front of all modern-era PJ bootlegs.

They should probably wack it on any future releases too.

THE NEW PEARL JAM ALBUM.FIVE STARS. EDDIE VEDDER SAYS "Sounded pretty good, but I'm pretty high right now".

PostPosted: Thu April 10, 2014 11:04 pm 
Future Drummer

bluestate wrote:
So what are the 3 BDO shows I should consider buying?

Sounds like Auckland - YES, Gold Coast - NO

Between Perth, Sydney, Adelaide and Melbourne... what other 2 should I check out? Sounds like maybe Perth and Sydney?

Sydney is one of those shows that was a blast in person, a real party atmosphere where the crowd became part of the show, and the band is in good spirits. Unfortunately that doesn't translate too well on the boot, especially with the crowd mixed so low. Ed is pretty blind from the start of the show, but taking that into consideration he doesn't do much worse vocally than most of the 2013 shows.

Melbourne was really enjoyable, Perth was a bit sloppy like GC. Haven't heard Adelaide yet.

This blog is a great read to get the song by song lowdown on the boots - they're spot on most of the time :thumbsup:

http://pjbootlegreviews.blogspot.com.au/

PostPosted: Fri April 11, 2014 1:21 am 
Broken Tamborine

I'm usually an advocate for Adelaide shows - always up with the best - but this one is a dog's breakfast :-(

PostPosted: Fri April 11, 2014 4:03 am 
"Supersonic sucks."

injuddstree wrote:
I'm usually an advocate for Adelaide shows - always up with the best - but this one is a dog's breakfast :-(

That good, huh?

PostPosted: Fri April 11, 2014 4:28 am 
"Supersonic sucks."

ridleybradout wrote:
This blog is a great read to get the song by song lowdown on the boots - they're spot on most of the time :thumbsup:

:nice:

This guy is on-point.

PostPosted: Fri April 11, 2014 1:14 pm 
Future Drummer
 WWW  Profile

Birds in Hell wrote:
ridleybradout wrote:

:nice:

This guy is on-point.

Yea, I've been reading his reviews of the 2013 boots and I found them very helpful. However, I tend to like the "party" atmosphere shows (San Diego and Spokane) even if it leads to a little sloppiness. It just adds something unique that not every show has.

Here's a quote from his review of Spokane:
"As many of my PJ bootleg reviews may indicate, the “party” or “wild” shows don’t tend to hold up well for me on bootleg. I can only imagine how much of a blast it would have been to be at this gig, but the boot is a tad below average."

He says something very similar in his writeup for Sydney. So for Marcus, shows like Oklahoma City and Pittsburgh get much higher ratings because their just solid shows with few mistakes. But for me, there's nothing really special that jumps out at me from those types of shows. So it sounds like I would like Sydney more than the average fan.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 446 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 23  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Live