The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Live

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 599 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30  Next
 Post subject: Re: Let's Talk About the 2000 Tour
PostPosted: Wed March 31, 2021 2:35 pm 
Banned from the Pit

They were so good in 2000, my gosh.

PostPosted: Wed March 31, 2021 2:37 pm 
Future Drummer

Wendy Carlos's Twin wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:
i could have bought some of those 03 boots too, they were available in most of records store at the time, specially the Australian leg, and i think Japan too.
At the time, i wasnt a fan of the 03 tour ( its still the tour i listened the less) but damn, i should have got those.

I don't remember them being available in record stores at all. I had to order them online.

The 2000 shows certainly were.

A few 2003 shows were definitely released to retail outlets but the packaging was different.

That's why they are so scarce.

Yea I think only a hand picked few made it to stores. It was a bit too much to stock when they released 70+ albums in 2000, haha.

2003 was the tour when you could buy the day of the show (?), get digital link and then they shipped the album. I have this whole tour. Once a week I would buy whatever shows they played that week. Was really fun to follow along. Saw 5-6 shows that tour, between Bos-NYC, plus Long Island.

PostPosted: Wed March 31, 2021 2:41 pm 
mXn

SoulEngine wrote:
They were so good in 2000, my gosh.

After that they fell off a cliff when Matt switched from Ayotte to Yamaha, I tell ya...

PostPosted: Thu April 01, 2021 9:40 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Rob wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:
i could have bought some of those 03 boots too, they were available in most of records store at the time, specially the Australian leg, and i think Japan too.
At the time, i wasnt a fan of the 03 tour ( its still the tour i listened the less) but damn, i should have got those.

I don't remember them being available in record stores at all. I had to order them online.

A few 2003 shows were definitely released to retail outlets but the packaging was different.

Yea I think only a hand picked few made it to stores. It was a bit too much to stock when they released 70+ albums in 2000, haha.

2003 was the tour when you could buy the day of the show (?), get digital link and then they shipped the album. I have this whole tour. Once a week I would buy whatever shows they played that week. Was really fun to follow along. Saw 5-6 shows that tour, between Bos-NYC, plus Long Island.

I thought 2006 was the year with the digital link.

I also hit up the 2003 tour a lot. 6 shows that year: Albany, Noblesville, NYC x 2, Boston 3, and Hershey.

PostPosted: Thu April 01, 2021 10:05 pm 
10Club Complaint Department

liebzz wrote:
Rob wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:

I thought 2006 was the year with the digital link.

I also hit up the 2003 tour a lot. 6 shows that year: Albany, Noblesville, NYC x 2, Boston 3, and Hershey.

No, he's right: 2003 they sold the physical bootlegs to each show but sent out a (low bitrate, I think) MP3 link of the show pretty soon afterward.

2006 was digital only (FLAC or MP3), no physical bootlegs.

PostPosted: Thu April 01, 2021 10:41 pm 
I Have A Third Nipple

spenno is right. Those low bit-rate MP3s were the first shows I every torrented.

PostPosted: Fri April 02, 2021 3:00 am 
Future Drummer

The 2000 tour was the only one sold in stores.

The 2003 tour was sold only on the Ten Club website and came with a shitty digital download.

While the show was happening, they sent people out to put flyers on everyone's vehicle advertising the bootleg CD and download of that night's performance.

They came in the usual cardboard thing but it was generic and the tracklisting was on a sticker that you stuck to the case if you were an idiot like me.

A few shows deemed "best" from each leg were available in stores and pretty much looked the same but they had the tracklisting printed directly on the case.

The 2005 tour was the first one where they didn't have physical discs. And they still fucking don't.

PostPosted: Fri April 02, 2021 5:32 pm 
Major Dude

The 2003 tour was sold only on the Ten Club website...

This isn’t true at all. I bought a handful of ‘03 shows from my local WalMart back in the day.

PostPosted: Fri April 02, 2021 10:02 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

wease wrote:

This isn’t true at all. I bought a handful of ‘03 shows from my local WalMart back in the day.

That’s just how 10C members flipped shit before ebay. Some Walmart workers in your town was a member

PostPosted: Fri April 02, 2021 10:20 pm 

wease wrote:

It says this somewhere upthread, but a few 2003 shows were released to retail in slightly different packaging than those sold by the 10C:

Perth
Tokyo
State College
NYC I
NYC II
Boston III
Mexico City I

PostPosted: Fri April 02, 2021 11:54 pm 
Future Drummer

Birds in Hell wrote:
wease wrote:

It says this somewhere upthread, but a few 2003 shows were released to retail in slightly different packaging than those sold by the 10C:

Perth
Tokyo
State College
NYC I
NYC II
Boston III
Mexico City I

I more or less say this in the post he is disputing.

PostPosted: Sat April 03, 2021 3:36 pm 
tl;dr

Was Mexico City a commercial release? I remember the rest, but not that one.

PostPosted: Sat April 03, 2021 3:47 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

Kevin Davis wrote:

No, Mx wasnt a commercial release.

PostPosted: Sat April 03, 2021 4:37 pm 
Future Drummer

VinylGuy wrote:
Kevin Davis wrote:

No, Mx wasnt a commercial release.

Yes it was, but it was only available in Mexico.

https://www.discogs.com/Pearl-Jam-Mexico-City-Mexico-July-17th-2003/release/11433398

PostPosted: Sat April 03, 2021 6:29 pm 

There were definitely copies of the Mexico show available in retail stores over here too, unless I'm going crazy.

PostPosted: Sat April 03, 2021 6:40 pm 
Major Dude

Birds in Hell wrote:
wease wrote:

Perth
Tokyo
State College
NYC I
NYC II
Boston III
Mexico City I

No you don’t! You specifically say only the 2000 shows were sold at the retail level and 2003 was only sold online.

PostPosted: Sat April 03, 2021 7:55 pm 
tl;dr

wease wrote:
Birds in Hell wrote:
wease wrote:

Perth
Tokyo
State College
NYC I
NYC II
Boston III
Mexico City I

No you don’t! You specifically say only the 2000 shows were sold at the retail level and 2003 was only sold online.

Dude:

The 2003 tour was sold only on the Ten Club website and came with a shitty digital download.

While the show was happening, they sent people out to put flyers on everyone's vehicle advertising the bootleg CD and download of that night's performance.

They came in the usual cardboard thing but it was generic and the tracklisting was on a sticker that you stuck to the case if you were an idiot like me.

A few shows deemed "best" from each leg were available in stores and pretty much looked the same but they had the tracklisting printed directly on the case.

The 2005 tour was the first one where they didn't have physical discs. And they still fucking don't.

PostPosted: Sat April 03, 2021 10:12 pm 
Major Dude

Kevin Davis wrote:
wease wrote:
Birds in Hell wrote:
wease wrote:

Perth
Tokyo
State College
NYC I
NYC II
Boston III
Mexico City I

Dude:

Dammit Kevin Davis

PostPosted: Sat April 03, 2021 11:18 pm 
Future Drummer

Looking at Discogs....

North America got all the "retail picks" that Spenno listed, except Mexico City 1, which only Mexico got (in addition to Tokyo and Perth, but none of the North American shows!).

Japan only got Tokyo.

It looks like Australia only got about half of the retail picks. Any of the rest would have been European or US (or Mexican) imports, unless they haven't been listed on Discogs yet.

But this does jive with my 18 year-old memories of what happened at the time. I remember people were pissed off that Mexico City 1 was a Mexico-only release.

PostPosted: Sat April 03, 2021 11:55 pm 
tl;dr

I remember people were pissed off that Mexico City 1 was a Mexico-only release.

Funny to think that as recently as 2003-04, it was an annoyance for a CD that was easily available online not to be available in a retail store. I remember feeling like that for a few years, where I'd go to like 6 different record stores in town looking for something, and then finally give up and say, "Ugh, I guess I'll just order it online."

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 599 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Live