The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Live

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 599 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 30  Next
 Post subject: Re: Let's Talk About the 2000 Tour
PostPosted: Wed April 23, 2014 1:35 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

mac wrote:
So many great versions of songs on this tour - everything is so tight, and the sets flow brilliantly, particular the boise, houston, and pittsburgh shows, in terms of great pacing. What really strikes me though, is that listening through a full show, there aren't any bad songs. They are all at least listenable. This stopped on the riot act tour, when you had the odd absolute mood killing stinker like get right/help help/lbc join the sets. Now you have at least a minimum of 5 absolutely appalling songs in the set at every show. The 2000 shows where the absolute live zenith of this pearl jam line up. What a tour!

Good points on the 2000 tour. But, I liked the inclusion of the Riot Act songs on the 2003 tour. The only thing that brought that tour down a notch for me was the excessive usage of cover songs.

PostPosted: Wed April 23, 2014 2:51 pm 
Banned from the Pit

EJ wrote:
mac wrote:
So many great versions of songs on this tour - everything is so tight, and the sets flow brilliantly, particular the boise, houston, and pittsburgh shows, in terms of great pacing. What really strikes me though, is that listening through a full show, there aren't any bad songs. They are all at least listenable. This stopped on the riot act tour, when you had the odd absolute mood killing stinker like get right/help help/lbc join the sets. Now you have at least a minimum of 5 absolutely appalling songs in the set at every show. The 2000 shows where the absolute live zenith of this pearl jam line up. What a tour!

Good points on the 2000 tour. But, I liked the inclusion of the Riot Act songs on the 2003 tour. The only thing that brought that tour down a notch for me was the excessive usage of cover songs.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I like riot act, but defo the first tour with some truly bad songs in the sets, as mentioned above. But yeah, save you, can't keep, half full etc...all great fun!

PostPosted: Thu April 24, 2014 12:49 am 
Poster of the Year

Get Right and Help Help are fantastic songs.

PostPosted: Thu April 24, 2014 10:22 am 
Future Drummer

For me it was the 2006 tour where the stinkers started to appear. I am not impressed by Life Wasted, Severed Hand or World Wide Suicide in the slightest, and they open every fucking show!

PostPosted: Thu April 24, 2014 1:56 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

Mike was already sober during the tour??

PostPosted: Thu April 24, 2014 2:37 pm 
AnalLog

Wendy Carlos's Twin wrote:
For me it was the 2006 tour where the stinkers started to appear. I am not impressed by Life Wasted, Severed Hand or World Wide Suicide in the slightest, and they open every fucking show!

I love all three of those songs. I can do without "Gone" and "Inside Job" though.

PostPosted: Thu April 24, 2014 7:16 pm 
Poster of the Year

team bag of dicks

PostPosted: Thu April 24, 2014 10:33 pm 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

It's gotta be 2006. It was shocking to me that Eddie couldn't sing the lead single from their new album live.

PostPosted: Fri April 25, 2014 9:50 am 
10Club Complaint Department

Pearl Jam were a consistently great live band up to (and including) 2006; pretty much every show was reliably very good to outstanding.

PostPosted: Fri April 25, 2014 11:45 am 
A Return To Form

Birds in Hell wrote:
Pearl Jam were a consistently great live band up to (and including) 2006; pretty much every show was reliably very good to outstanding.

I'd throw 2007 in there too, although it's tough to judge without having official bootlegs to revisit. I thought the sound was terrible at Lolla, but the Euro leg that year seems pretty pretty well regarded.

2008 was when I really noticed a drop-off seeing them live.

PostPosted: Fri April 25, 2014 3:15 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

I always love this video when it comes to the 2006 tour: :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Fri April 25, 2014 6:57 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

this used to be a rock and roll band

but that will make a great soundtrack for the vaginal cup advert

All posts by this account, even those referencing real things, are entirely fictional and are for entertainment purposes only; i.e. very low-quality entertainment. These may contain coarse language and due to their content should not be viewed by anyone

PostPosted: Mon April 28, 2014 6:25 am 
Rank This Poster

SpectorHD wrote:

Damn that was good. :nice:

PostPosted: Mon April 28, 2014 4:32 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

TouringReg wrote:
Birds in Hell wrote:

I'd throw 2007 in there too, although it's tough to judge without having official bootlegs to revisit. I thought the sound was terrible at Lolla, but the Euro leg that year seems pretty pretty well regarded.

Yeah, 2008 was the first tour i thought,...wow this guys do not sound good. Crazy Mary was embarrasing...after that i loved 09, kinda hated 2010, loved 2011...

PostPosted: Wed April 08, 2015 10:38 pm 
Future Drummer

So i just listened through the main set of the Cincinnati 8-20-2000 show.

Holy shit they were good. This show is fucking great.

The last four tunes of the main set - Rival/Sleight of Hand/Insignificance/Porch just might be my favorite main set closing performances of any show. That Porch - damn, if only they could be this tight again.

PostPosted: Thu April 09, 2015 1:43 pm 
Broken Tamborine

Leatherhead wrote:
SpectorHD wrote:

Damn that was good. :nice:

I love how Ed's voice sounds so scratchy on the second "we all believe, WE ALL BELIEVE" delivery. They were on fire in 2006, that Euro run consistently delivers.

PostPosted: Sat July 04, 2015 4:43 pm 
Broken Tamborine

The Euro 2000 tour was perhaps the last tour of the band's innocence, but don't get me wrong I'm glad they look out for the fans during the gigs the way they do now. TB2K could almost have been a farewell DVD if they'd gone on to form a new band with Boom as member, although I do love it when he really makes a difference particularly his piano work. 2003 was imho the last tour they'd make sure all their albums were represented at a gig, and I don't think Green Disease disrupted their gigs - look at LATG, with the green lights and everything. It's a fast, heavy, rocking song imho.

PostPosted: Wed January 27, 2016 5:58 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

Listened to some of San Sebastian today. While full of flaws, it's actually a fun show. There's also an under 6 minute RVM that's pretty solid. It's nice to hear the song without the extended jams sometimes. This one jams, but Jeff cuts it short and they move on to the ending.

PostPosted: Wed January 27, 2016 6:08 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

VinylGuy wrote:
TouringReg wrote:
Birds in Hell wrote:

Yeah, 2008 was the first tour i thought,...wow this guys do not sound good. Crazy Mary was embarrasing...after that i loved 09, kinda hated 2010, loved 2011...

I have Sirius and listening to the newer gigs can be rough. The whole band just seems off. I mean, it's not all doom and gloom, there are some rockin shows, and some fun shows, but they just sound kinda sloppy. At least from what I hear on Sirius.

Another problem is Ed. His call and responses ,and warble, and breathiness, and sometimes his voice, just all sound bad. Is it just me or did he lose his baritone? Like listen to him in 98 or 2000, then listen to him from a recent bootleg. His voice is higher. Was the baritone schtick? Not just his singing but when he speaks to the crowd. Anyway, Ed can be tough to listen to on some of the newer concerts.

Lastly, some of the covers they're doing. Bah! Mother, Imagine, and stuff like that need to go.

PostPosted: Wed January 27, 2016 6:10 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

One of my favorite things on recent tours was at one of the Seattle 09 shows. Ed tried a call and response, the crowd didn't do anything, so he said "ah f*ck it" and moved on. Was funny seeing him get mad at a Seattle crowd.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 599 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 30  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Live