The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Live




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 370 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Let's Talk About the 2000 Tour
PostPosted: Wed November 01, 2017 8:19 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Mon July 08, 2013 11:12 pm
Posts: 2032
dimejinky99 wrote:
2000 tour was probably the last tour where each show felt like an event and something momentous was taking place. There was a very different and deeply felt and profound atmosphere before and during each show.

The following tours seemed to be the evolution into the party band. No bad thing. Change up is good and prevents it all becoming stale but something special was lost in that transition.


This is weird to me too. From what I've heard the 2003 shows were way more unique than the 2000 shows.

In fact what's standing out to me is how the 2000 shows are so UN unique.

I don't know where the posts are now but I remember some crazy opening runs of songs in the 2003 shows, where the 2000 shows always seemed to start pretty much the exact same way to the point I got sick of Corduroy and Animal completely how they always popped up in the exact same spot.

But man Im switching now to listening to Benaroya 2003 and its SO GOOD


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Let's Talk About the 2000 Tour
PostPosted: Wed November 01, 2017 8:32 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 12:35 am
Posts: 17601
mikejasond wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:
2000 tour was probably the last tour where each show felt like an event and something momentous was taking place. There was a very different and deeply felt and profound atmosphere before and during each show.

The following tours seemed to be the evolution into the party band. No bad thing. Change up is good and prevents it all becoming stale but something special was lost in that transition.


This is weird to me too. From what I've heard the 2003 shows were way more unique than the 2000 shows.

In fact what's standing out to me is how the 2000 shows are so UN unique.

I don't know where the posts are now but I remember some crazy opening runs of songs in the 2003 shows, where the 2000 shows always seemed to start pretty much the exact same way to the point I got sick of Corduroy and Animal completely how they always popped up in the exact same spot.




But man Im switching now to listening to Benaroya 2003 and its SO GOOD





I’m more talking about being there on the night in person. Did shows in 96, 2000 and 2003 and it’s a marked change.

I’m not really referring to any bootleg cos it’s almist impossible to truly capture the vibe of a gig on a bootleg (and I often wonder do people’s complaints about the mixing and production affect their view ) but it definitely feels like a band at different stages of their career and it being apparent over the times I’ve seen them. Less so the last two tours I’ve seen for BS and LB

_________________
"durdencommatyler-dimejinky: the Han Solo of RM."


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Let's Talk About the 2000 Tour
PostPosted: Wed November 01, 2017 8:33 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Mon July 08, 2013 11:12 pm
Posts: 2032
Leatherhead wrote:
No feeling, just banging out notes.




I take that and raise you



So much more warm and beautiful....its haunting.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Let's Talk About the 2000 Tour
PostPosted: Wed November 01, 2017 8:41 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 2:04 pm
Posts: 46623
Location: Sector 7-G
Strat wrote:
You're a weird guy, ace.

lol


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Let's Talk About the 2000 Tour
PostPosted: Wed November 01, 2017 8:58 pm 
Offline
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Thu January 03, 2013 1:10 am
Posts: 2155
I definitely agree with dime in the sense that those 2000 shows in particular really feel like they can take you on a bit of a journey into a lot of different kinds of places. You have the kind of 'typical' PJ start, with the moody opener followed by a few up-tempo tracks, and then you have the Binaural stuff interspersed with darker, sometimes spacier takes on their older stuff.

I still think that Insignificance/Rearviewmirror combo they used to end sets with was excellent, but I remember something like Chicago '00 (my favorite show I've heard from the band), which ends with Black/Parting Ways. It's hard to see that as a set ending in any other year, that kind of feel. But in the encore by the end, you usually get the feeling they've loosened up and it feels a bit more like a party.

2003 also had this kind of diversity of feeling throughout the course of a show, and those are the years I find myself reaching for more often; maybe that approach has something to do with it.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Let's Talk About the 2000 Tour
PostPosted: Tue November 14, 2017 5:50 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Rank This Poster
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 9:52 pm
Posts: 5253
Listened to Tampa from this tour yesterday / today; damn fine show.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Let's Talk About the 2000 Tour
PostPosted: Wed November 15, 2017 3:05 am 
Offline
Misplaced My Sponge
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 6:06 pm
Posts: 5511
darth_vedder wrote:
Listened to Tampa from this tour yesterday / today; damn fine show.


Are you now sold on the brilliance of "Evacuation?"


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Let's Talk About the 2000 Tour
PostPosted: Wed November 15, 2017 4:30 am 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 3:48 pm
Posts: 30852
Location: Mountains
Kevin Davis wrote:
darth_vedder wrote:
Listened to Tampa from this tour yesterday / today; damn fine show.


Are you now sold on the brilliance of "Evacuation?"

Was he not ??


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Let's Talk About the 2000 Tour
PostPosted: Thu November 16, 2017 3:33 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Rank This Poster
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 9:52 pm
Posts: 5253
Strat wrote:
Kevin Davis wrote:
darth_vedder wrote:
Listened to Tampa from this tour yesterday / today; damn fine show.


Are you now sold on the brilliance of "Evacuation?"

Was he not ??


Well, I've had a complicated relationship with Evacuation over the years. I used to hate it. Over time, I grew to appreciate it musically, but I've never quite been able to latch onto the song as I have with a whole lotta others from their catalog.

re: Live versions, I only have 6 of them, one being that disaster from DC.

The others are:
Katowice 2, 2000
WPB 2, 2000
Jones Beach 3, 2000
Seattle 2, 2000

I now have Tampa, 2000, and after one proper listen, I'm pretty confident it's the best of the lot above, probably followed by either Katowice or Seattle. At any rate, KD was basically seeing if I'm coming around to the song now that I have a really good live version of it.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Let's Talk About the 2000 Tour
PostPosted: Fri November 17, 2017 3:36 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Yeah Yeah Yeah
 Profile

Joined: Sun January 05, 2014 8:12 pm
Posts: 66
Location: San Francisco, CA
darth_vedder wrote:
Strat wrote:
Kevin Davis wrote:
darth_vedder wrote:
Listened to Tampa from this tour yesterday / today; damn fine show.


Are you now sold on the brilliance of "Evacuation?"

Was he not ??


Well, I've had a complicated relationship with Evacuation over the years. I used to hate it. Over time, I grew to appreciate it musically, but I've never quite been able to latch onto the song as I have with a whole lotta others from their catalog.

re: Live versions, I only have 6 of them, one being that disaster from DC.

The others are:
Katowice 2, 2000
WPB 2, 2000
Jones Beach 3, 2000
Seattle 2, 2000

I now have Tampa, 2000, and after one proper listen, I'm pretty confident it's the best of the lot above, probably followed by either Katowice or Seattle. At any rate, KD was basically seeing if I'm coming around to the song now that I have a really good live version of it.


Definitely check out the version from Albuquerque 2000. Ed sounds wonderfully raspy and on the edge, and the band absolutely tears it up.


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 370 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Live


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
It is currently Fri November 24, 2017 3:46 am