The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Live

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 599 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ... 30  Next
 Post subject: Re: Let's Talk About the 2000 Tour
PostPosted: Fri March 02, 2018 7:03 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

VinylGuy wrote:
I love SY´s influence in that tour in pretty much every jam.

Sonic Youth is fucking amazing!

PostPosted: Fri March 02, 2018 7:58 pm 
A Return To Form

darth_vedder wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:

And that's why those great versions of Parting Ways (Chicago, Lubbock, Seattle 2) will never be topped. So noisy in a great way!:)

PostPosted: Fri March 02, 2018 8:38 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

raven2001 wrote:
darth_vedder wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:

And that's why those great versions of Parting Ways (Chicago, Lubbock, Seattle 2) will never be topped. So noisy in a great way!:)

Lubbock is so good, I'm glad they chose that Parting Way for TB2K. Lubbock in general is a great show, not sure how it didn't get one of the apeman guys on it. Or did it?

PostPosted: Fri March 02, 2018 8:42 pm 
A Return To Form

darth_vedder wrote:
raven2001 wrote:
darth_vedder wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:

Lubbock is so good, I'm glad they chose that Parting Way from TB2K. Lubbock in general is a great show, not sure how it didn't get one of the apeman guys on it. Or did it?

No, it didn't. But we shouldn't take those ape/man stamp so seriously, this was only about shows where the band felt they had the most fun. And those weren't always the best shows qualitywise. Hell, even Paris and Atlanta got the Ape/Man stamp, and those two were slopfests.
Sleight of Hand is another song from that tour that will never sound that good again. They used the right amount of guitar distortion for those songs, on the following tours they had a much cleaner sound that those tracks didn't benefit from.

PostPosted: Sat March 03, 2018 2:00 pm 
mXn

I have never known about this Ape/Man stamp thing until just now.

PostPosted: Sat March 03, 2018 11:36 pm 
Future Drummer

raven2001 wrote:
we shouldn't take those ape/man stamp so seriously, this was only about shows where the band felt they had the most fun. And those weren't always the best shows qualitywise. Hell, even Paris and Atlanta got the Ape/Man stamp, and those two were slopfests.

If I recall correctly, Saratoga, Chicago and Pittsburgh (the 3 best shows of the tour) weren't ape/man shows either, so the whole concept is pointless IMO.

PostPosted: Sat March 03, 2018 11:40 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

sweet 2000.... back when the pre-habit improv was alive and well

All posts by this account, even those referencing real things, are entirely fictional and are for entertainment purposes only; i.e. very low-quality entertainment. These may contain coarse language and due to their content should not be viewed by anyone

PostPosted: Mon March 05, 2018 7:12 am 
Poster of the Year

VinylGuy wrote:

yessssss

PostPosted: Tue March 13, 2018 9:33 pm 
10Club Complaint Department

96583UP wrote:
sweet 2000.... back when the pre-habit improv was alive and well

Yes. Yes. Yes. 1998 had some great ones though.

PostPosted: Fri March 16, 2018 9:06 pm 
10Club Complaint Department

darth_vedder wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
darth_vedder wrote:
liebzz wrote:
Just listening to Saratoga from the 2000 tour which was an excellent show. My gripe with this tour has always been that never before or after did they just not really stretch the songs out and let them breathe live. Almost completely stuck to album versions with little to no variation - at least in the US. There are exceptions but that just seemed like the rule.

Porch was kinda meh this tour. However, some of the best RVMs came from when Sonic Youth was opening for them. They got really wild (noisy) on some of those mid section jams.

Yeah the best RVMs of all time are from the first leg of the north american 2000 tour.

I forget which one, but one of the Jones Beach shows has an incredible RVM. I think it's the one with a bunch of No Code songs.

Jones Beach 3, probably the best of that three night run.

PostPosted: Sun March 25, 2018 7:14 pm 
I Have A Third Nipple

I dunno if I've posted this in this thread before, but here goes: I really do like how during the European tour, Alive jumped around in the setlist. Sometimes it was 6-7 songs in, sometimes closing the main set, then sometimes in the encore. I wished that still happened more.

PostPosted: Mon March 26, 2018 1:55 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

Simple Torture wrote:
I dunno if I've posted this in this thread before, but here goes: I really do like how during the European tour, Alive jumped around in the setlist. Sometimes it was 6-7 songs in, sometimes closing the main set, then sometimes in the encore. I wished that still happened more.

Not just Alive, but Porch and RVM also would show up in mid sets. It was much more varied than today's extremely predictable setlist of Porch or RVM closing the main set, and Alive closing the first encore.

I'd like them to really eff things up and open with Yellow Ledbetter.

PostPosted: Mon March 26, 2018 4:11 pm 
Poster of the Year

I agree that it's more interesting when traditional set closers get moved around, but I don't think they should do much experimenting with the openers. The traditional openers work better than anything else and putting YL there just to mess with things would be nothing but a novelty.

Also, I hate the more recent trend of starting with a traditional opener and then another slow/mid tempo song. Give me Release into Breakerfall or something similar any day.

PostPosted: Mon March 26, 2018 4:34 pm 
The Master

cutuphalfdead wrote:
I agree that it's more interesting when traditional set closers get moved around, but I don't think they should do much experimenting with the openers. The traditional openers work better than anything else and putting YL there just to mess with things would be nothing but a novelty.

Also, I hate the more recent trend of starting with a traditional opener and then another slow/mid tempo song. Give me Release into Breakerfall or something similar any day.

This.

PostPosted: Mon March 26, 2018 5:16 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

Monkey_Driven wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:

This.

Yeah, I like the traditional openers then into the heavier stuff. 2000 and 2003 were good like that. I liked 2003 because they included Can't Keep. Still, I wouldn't mind for a bit more variety. Play Alive, RVM, and Porch mid set, and also use openers in mid set too. After a series of faster songs, it wouldn't be a bad thing to hear Of The Girl, or Sometimes, or Can't Keep. In the Euro leg of the 2000 tour, OTG was played mid set a few times.

PostPosted: Mon March 26, 2018 8:59 pm 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

darth_vedder wrote:
Simple Torture wrote:
I've had the same idea, too. But it would have to be a different version to really work.

PostPosted: Mon March 26, 2018 9:32 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

cutuphalfdead wrote:

Yes, yes and yes.

PostPosted: Mon March 26, 2018 9:49 pm 
I Have A Third Nipple

Captain Termite wrote:
darth_vedder wrote:
Simple Torture wrote:
I've had the same idea, too. But it would have to be a different version to really work.

For the record, that was darth_vedder's idea, not mine. Don't @ me!

PS chud is right.

PostPosted: Tue March 27, 2018 5:49 am 
AnalLog

Their best tour. 98 & 06 are a close 2nd & 3rd for me.

PostPosted: Tue March 27, 2018 9:52 am 
Broken Tamborine

darth_vedder wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:

Also, I hate the more recent trend of starting with a traditional opener and then another slow/mid tempo song. Give me Release into Breakerfall or something similar any day.[/quote

This.

Yeah, I like the traditional openers then into the heavier stuff. 2000 and 2003 were good like that. I liked 2003 because they included Can't Keep. Still, I wouldn't mind for a bit more variety. Play Alive, RVM, and Porch mid set, and also use openers in mid set too. After a series of faster songs, it wouldn't be a bad thing to hear Of The Girl, or Sometimes, or Can't Keep. In the Euro leg of the 2000 tour, OTG was played mid set a few times.

This is why I love the 00 tour
They seem to have had a smaller pool of songs played but they jumped everything around a lot so it didn’t seem like it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 599 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ... 30  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Live