The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Live

Post subject: Re: Editing Live Compilations
PostPosted: Wed January 22, 2014 12:48 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Ok

PostPosted: Wed January 22, 2014 12:50 am 
Future Drummer

turned2black wrote:
But you guys should really do whatever ridleybradout does, because his shit is awesome.

Aw shucks, my shit thanks you.

Hugh Mungus wrote:
Yeah, I think I will follow ridleybradout's advice and try that first. It sounds like Audacity might not be the easiest or best way to go. I appreciate all the feed back from everyone.

Have a play around with it and let me know if you have any questions. I usually just use Wave Editor to cross-fade two tracks at a time (pasting one against the other and then overlapping), and only use SoundTrax (the multi-track tool) if I need to overlay more than two tracks (I sometimes fly in crowd noise from other tracks to smooth out transitions).

PostPosted: Wed January 22, 2014 1:11 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

And that's why your shit is so awesome.

PostPosted: Wed January 22, 2014 1:47 am 
Future Drummer

I recently used audacity on some special. It was my first try, nice program, but limited. I also am new to nero wave editor, but I prefer old school Easy CD creator which is now under roxio.

PostPosted: Wed January 22, 2014 2:02 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

I used to love Easy CD Creator, that shit was easy to use.

PostPosted: Wed January 22, 2014 2:23 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

Audacity is actually way more versatile and powerful than the other programs (other than Audition) mentioned in this thread, but the GUI is total dogshit.

PostPosted: Wed January 22, 2014 2:25 am 
Poster of the Year

Yeah the interface for Audacity is awful.

PostPosted: Thu January 23, 2014 12:02 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

ridleybradout wrote:
Hey Hugh, I didn't realise you were ManOfTheHour :wave:

Sounds like you might be sorted with Audacity, but I thought I'd chip in with my two cents.

I use Nero Wave Editor and SoundTrax - both easy, user friendly and free:

http://www.nero.com/ena/downloads/

Really simple and intuitive controls to fine tune fade-ins/outs, cross fade and change volume, which is sometimes needed when the crowd noise is too different between tracks.

I also really like how you can zoom in with the scroll wheel, I don't think Audacity does that...

So I downloaded this last night and gave it a try. It seemed fairly simple to use and I was able to line up the tracks easy enough but all I see is a fade in and fade out option. Why isn't there a cross fade option? That seems much easier.
It's weird, I used to be good at this kind of thing but for some reason, I can't figure this shit out for the life of me.

PostPosted: Thu January 23, 2014 12:38 am 
10Club Complaint Department

Being able to control the fade-in/out of each track gives much more control than a crossfade would, though.

By the way, sorry I never replied yesterday - t2b pretty much covered it.

PostPosted: Thu January 23, 2014 1:04 am 
Future Drummer

Hugh Mungus wrote:
Why isn't there a cross fade option? That seems much easier.

Are you using Wave Editor or SoundTrax?

Wave Editor - when you paste a tracks against one another there will be a blue/green marker above the point where they meet. Just hover over it and drag to create the cross-fade. Note that if you crop the end of a track and don't save before pasting in the other track, it remembers the part that was cropped and includes that in the cross-fade (which can be a good thing or a royal pain in the ass, depending on what you're trying to achieve).

SoundTrax - using the 'Multitrack stereo project' option, just insert the two tracks you want to cross-fade into the same line. You can then drag them along to overlap and create the cross-fade.

PostPosted: Sat January 25, 2014 3:55 pm 
AnalLog

Roxio Easy CD Creator (im still using an old version, 10 I think?) Lets you cross fade right in the CD burning program (and adjust audio levels) much less time consuming than the audacity / cool edit ways. But you, I still use the other programs to do some editing. Say, If Ed rambles for 4 mins after a song and you want to edit that off, or, if one songs crowd noise is vastly different than anothers? can always edit/record back in some crowd noise with those other programs.

but for cross fading, ill take EASYCD Creators anyday over the other methods. When ya really get into it, you can crossfade say, 10 seconds (it will take the last 5 from one track and the first 5 from the next track) but then you can also go into the first track, and make that tracks fade out happen over the last 10 seconds to make it even more seamless.

course, youd have to buy it, or... find one on the net lol
and im really not sure if the newer versions still work as good as 10 which ive had for probably 6 years?

Last edited by MadTIGERmaN on Sun January 26, 2014 2:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat January 25, 2014 5:49 pm 
Poster of the Year

I like Audition for cross fading because sometime you don't want the crossfade to be completely linear. When I crossfade crowd noise I don't want to hear it, I want to to sound like a seamless transition.

PostPosted: Sun January 26, 2014 2:13 am 
AnalLog

cutuphalfdead wrote:
I like Audition for cross fading because sometime you don't want the crossfade to be completely linear. When I crossfade crowd noise I don't want to hear it, I want to to sound like a seamless transition.

thats what I love about Roxio/EasyCD's
it gives you 3 different fading options. A gradual arc, straight line, extreme fade
and you can make the fade out longer/shorter than the next tracks fade in.

Say song 1, the crowd noise stays loud and song 2 has 10 seconds before the song starts that is quiet...
i can give song 1 a 10 second gradual fade out, cross fade 5 seconds, and give song 2 almost no fade in...

I can get a pretty seamless transition almost 100% of the time with the PJ official boots.

PostPosted: Thu January 30, 2014 4:47 pm 
Future Drummer

So, any Audacity guys out there-

I'm updating a couple of my live mixes with this new fangled cross fade idea :) , and I might be a little stuck. I've got each of the individual tracks aligned and appropriately faded for nice seamless transitions, but I'm not sure I know how to cut these into individual audio files.

I've got 20 different songs aligned as audio tracks in a single Audacity project. I read the suggestion of "export selection" as a way to cut these up, but I'm struggling getting the snippet of the preceding or the following track that's cross faded over it to also get exported.

Any tips? Am I making any sense ?

PostPosted: Thu January 30, 2014 5:21 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

hlniv wrote:

I'm updating a couple of my live mixes with this new fangled cross fade idea :) , and I might be a little stuck. I've got each of the individual tracks aligned and appropriately faded for nice seamless transitions, but I'm not sure I know how to cut these into individual audio files.

I've got 20 different songs aligned as audio tracks in a single Audacity project. I read the suggestion of "export selection" as a way to cut these up, but I'm struggling getting the snippet of the preceding or the following track that's cross faded over it to also get exported.

OK. A friend of mine actually taught me the "real" way to do this.

Click at the start of the first song* > select "add label to selection" from the tracks menu > repeat for all the tracks you are cutting > then "export multiples" under the file menu

*just click on the top track, you don't have to select and drag what you want like the "export selection" method

PostPosted: Thu January 30, 2014 6:05 pm 
Future Drummer

thanks! Ill try that and see how it goes..

PostPosted: Mon February 03, 2014 11:49 pm 
Future Drummer

turned2black wrote:
hlniv wrote:

Click at the start of the first song* > select "add label to selection" from the tracks menu > repeat for all the tracks you are cutting > then "export multiples" under the file menu

*just click on the top track, you don't have to select and drag what you want like the "export selection" method

This worked perfectly, by the way.

Thanks

PostPosted: Tue February 04, 2014 12:22 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

hlniv wrote:
turned2black wrote:
hlniv wrote:

Thanks

:thumbsup:

PostPosted: Tue February 04, 2014 4:23 am 
Future Drummer

turned2black wrote:
hlniv wrote:
turned2black wrote:
hlniv wrote:

Thanks

:thumbsup:

Who's interested in a 2013 tour mix? I've got one disc created of a planned 3. Waiting on the rest of the boots to be released for the final two

PostPosted: Tue February 04, 2014 4:31 am 
Future Drummer

hlniv wrote:
Who's interested in a 2013 tour mix?
:wave:

Sweet - tracklist?

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Live