The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Live

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2973 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107 ... 149  Next
 Post subject: Re: Which bootleg are you listening to?
PostPosted: Tue July 16, 2019 8:42 pm 
10Club Complaint Department

dad wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
I've said it countless times on this board, but to me, the Canada/US 2005 tour is the peak live-PJ.

word. the two Newfoundland shows are great.

and the 2005 boots are certainly mixed well, compared to other tours available.

I think they sound pretty terrible.

Definitely not as bad as 2008-2010 (not hard) but definitely Brett Eliason's worst mixing job on the official boots.

PostPosted: Tue July 16, 2019 9:03 pm 
The Master

Birds in Hell wrote:
dad wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
I've said it countless times on this board, but to me, the Canada/US 2005 tour is the peak live-PJ.

Definitely not as bad as 2008-2010 (not hard) but definitely Brett Eliason's worst mixing job on the official boots.

I can't even stand to listen to a few songs on a 2008-2010 boot.

PostPosted: Wed July 17, 2019 9:17 pm 
Future Drummer

Birds in Hell wrote:
dad wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:

Really? I think 2005 is fairly dynamic and well-mixed compared to other tours, such as 2003...which was super cluttered and baked. It's kind of like the 2000 Euro tour, but much louder and with bass, haha.

PostPosted: Wed July 17, 2019 11:20 pm 

Wendy Carlos's Twin wrote:
Birds in Hell wrote:
dad wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:

Really? I think 2005 is fairly dynamic and well-mixed compared to other tours, such as 2003...which was super cluttered and baked. It's kind of like the 2000 Euro tour, but much louder and with bass, haha.

I feel the same way.

PostPosted: Wed July 17, 2019 11:22 pm 

I think the drums and guitar sound really weak on the 2005 boots, not sure what was going on.

PostPosted: Thu July 18, 2019 12:26 am 
Future Drummer

Birds in Hell wrote:
I think the drums and guitar sound really weak on the 2005 boots, not sure what was going on.

Maybe it's the lack of compression? Most of the Eliason boots from back then are hyper-compressed which brings up the levels of everything and squishes everything together. This creates the illusion of cohesion but also makes it sound cluttered and fatiguing. I like the 2005 boots because they are sonically "loose" and you can crank them up...much like Euro 2000, which has its drawbacks with the lack of mastering but at least doesn't make you deaf after 30 seconds of listening.

PostPosted: Thu July 18, 2019 12:31 am 

Birds in Hell wrote:

Maybe it's the lack of compression? Most of the Eliason boots from back then are hyper-compressed which brings up the levels of everything and squishes everything together. This creates the illusion of cohesion but also makes it sound cluttered and fatiguing. I like the 2005 boots because they are sonically "loose" and you can crank them up...much like Euro 2000, which has its drawbacks with the lack of mastering but at least doesn't make you deaf after 30 seconds of listening.

Oh I love the 2000 Euro boots - I think the 2005 shows sound much worse.

PostPosted: Thu July 18, 2019 2:01 am 
The Master

Birds in Hell wrote:
Birds in Hell wrote:

How much of it has to do with the guitar tones utilized for that tour? The overall tone of the instruments themselves never sounded good to me and i remember being very aware of that at the actual shows.

PostPosted: Thu July 18, 2019 6:38 pm 
Future Drummer

Birds in Hell wrote:
dad wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:

2008 was the worst, but it's really crazy how different the recordings sound each from 2012 to now.

PostPosted: Fri July 19, 2019 6:20 am 
Future Drummer

Strat wrote:
Birds in Hell wrote:
Birds in Hell wrote:

How much of it has to do with the guitar tones utilized for that tour? The overall tone of the instruments themselves never sounded good to me and i remember being very aware of that at the actual shows.

I've always found the 2005 boots very unsatisfying, but I think Strat is right - the tone of the 2005 guitars and drums has a lot to do with that. Matt's snare drum sounds very weak and echoey to me, and Ed's guitar tone in particular sounds anaemic. 1998 and 2000 boots and tones FTW :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Fri July 19, 2019 11:56 pm 
A Return To Form

ridleybradout wrote:
Strat wrote:
Birds in Hell wrote:
Birds in Hell wrote:

I've always found the 2005 boots very unsatisfying, but I think Strat is right - the tone of the 2005 guitars and drums has a lot to do with that. Matt's snare drum sounds very weak and echoey to me, and Ed's guitar tone in particular sounds anaemic. 1998 and 2000 boots and tones FTW :thumbsup:

Agreed. On the '05 tour, Stone started using a Strat on most of the tunes for which he previously used a Les Paul. His tone noticeably waters down the overall impact of otherwise really solid performances.

PostPosted: Fri July 26, 2019 12:11 am 
Poster of the Year

Monkey_Driven wrote:

incorrect

PostPosted: Fri July 26, 2019 1:12 am 
The Master

cutuphalfdead wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:

incorrect

Well then, that's just your opinion man.

PostPosted: Fri July 26, 2019 6:12 pm 
AnalLog

Monkey_Driven wrote:

:hooray:

PostPosted: Sat July 27, 2019 2:44 pm 
tl;dr

The 2005 shows were good but I never really feel compelled to revisit them -- they lack the vitality and urgency of 2000, 2003, and 2006, without really offering anything defining to set them apart otherwise. To me the 2005 tour feels kind of like the proto version of the no-new-music quickie tours that have been the norm for the last decade or so.

PostPosted: Sat July 27, 2019 4:25 pm 
The Master

Kevin Davis wrote:
The 2005 shows were good but I never really feel compelled to revisit them -- they lack the vitality and urgency of 2000, 2003, and 2006, without really offering anything defining to set them apart otherwise. To me the 2005 tour feels kind of like the proto version of the no-new-music quickie tours that have been the norm for the last decade or so.

They were definitely a sign of things to come in terms of touring without supporting a new album. But, there's a novelty in the cities and venues they were playing that elevates each performance. It seems like the band is all on the same page, which makes sense since they were essentially touring in between studio trips to write/record S/T.

PostPosted: Mon July 29, 2019 3:56 pm 
A Return To Form

Atlanta 2000, a decent one but nothing to write home about.

PostPosted: Wed August 07, 2019 1:32 pm 
A Return To Form

Tampa 2000. Setlist is excellent, performance shakey...

PostPosted: Sun August 18, 2019 5:52 pm 

seattle '98, night 2. i never did download the mixed version of this, so i'm listening to the soundboard mono version that first circulated.

i really enjoy this one. still holds up, but it's probably based on the fact that it's a soundboard copy. plenty of other shows from that tour i'm hoping make their way out of the vault.

PostPosted: Tue August 20, 2019 3:08 pm 
Future Drummer

Indiana 2000, I've decided to return to the tail end of the leg 2 of the 2000 tour for the first time in like 17 years. Man, what a show, just burning through songs. Lukin into light years? Killer versions of STBC and Brain of J. A rare Throw your arms around me when ed barely came out and played solo. Ed's voice really was great back in 2000.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2973 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107 ... 149  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Live