The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Live

Post subject: Re: 2014-07-11: Milton Keynes Bowl: Milton Keynes, UK
PostPosted: Sat July 12, 2014 4:37 am 
Rank This Poster

Belileve You Me? That sucks. I was really looking forward to hearing a new song.

Why the fuck would Eddie tag this?

PostPosted: Sat July 12, 2014 7:07 am 
Future Drummer

Leatherhead wrote:
Belileve You Me? That sucks. I was really looking forward to hearing a new song.

Why the fuck would Eddie tag this?

Because they want to sell bootlegs... Duh!

PostPosted: Sat July 12, 2014 7:13 am 
what on earth am I talking about

want your faith in PJ restored?

go immediately to the Leeds show thread and download that bootleg.
It's easily the best show they've played in a painfully long time.

and no, i wasnt there.

PostPosted: Sat July 12, 2014 7:30 am 
Lost Cat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcTTRbUSM98

PostPosted: Sat July 12, 2014 7:38 am 
Future Drummer

dimejinky99 wrote:
want your faith in PJ restored?

go immediately to the Leeds show thread and download that bootleg.
It's easily the best show they've played in a painfully long time.

and no, i wasnt there.

I started listening to it last night (thanks for the DL, by the way!)... Couldn't get past Who You Are. The singing is so different, as well as the groove (on that song, particularly), the stupid banter about the camera, about Mike Mc getting naked in Germany like 23 years ago. They are definitely more self-aware than they've ever been. I'm just really turned off by the overall vibe of their live shows the past several years, and I don't know if/when I will get over it.

I saw them at Voodoo last year, had low expectations, and I was still disappointed. I can't get that horrible Chloe Dancer meltdown out of my head!

I have my Denver tickets, though, and I'm going in with very low expectations. It doesn't help that it's in an arena and my seats suck. I've had very bad luck with having decent sound in arena rock shows.

I really do think they have these varied setlists and relatively rare songs to sell more boots. On paper, these shows don't really excite me the way they did in the past. I would have freaked out like a little schoolgirl about the Leeds setlist a decade ago, but now...

I just want them to do something more structured and well-rehearsed for a change, send Matt back to SG, bring back Jack (or maybe even swap for Matt Chamberlain)... maybe a rock opera or something just to get them out of this malaise.

Maybe it's just me.

PostPosted: Sat July 12, 2014 7:47 am 
Future Drummer

Plankton wrote:

Happy to see they no longer have Matt keeping the beat with his hi hat during Chloe, and sounds like Boom finally figured out the time sig. The sound of Jeff's bass is so good on this clip, I can only imagine how great it was live. Still can't get over the different style of singing Ed's rolling with (mainly during Chloe)... AND isn't this song supposed to be a nice, rare treat. They sure are playing the fuck out of it now. I'm almost as sick of hearing it as I am hearing Even Flow, Betterman and G2F.

Maybe I'm a lost cause.

PostPosted: Sat July 12, 2014 8:17 am 
A Return To Form

Iholdthepain wrote:
Plankton wrote:

Happy to see they no longer have Matt keeping the beat with his hi hat during Chloe, and sounds like Boom finally figured out the time sig. The sound of Jeff's bass is so good on this clip, I can only imagine how great it was live. Still can't get over the different style of singing Ed's rolling with (mainly during Chloe)... AND isn't this song supposed to be a nice, rare treat. They sure are playing the fuck out of it now. I'm almost as sick of hearing it as I am hearing Even Flow, Betterman and G2F.

Maybe I'm a lost cause.

I can't help but find it hilarious how someone can complain over a previously rarely played song being played more frequently.

PostPosted: Sat July 12, 2014 8:32 am 
Future Drummer

SJM wrote:
Iholdthepain wrote:
Plankton wrote:

Maybe I'm a lost cause.

I can't help but find it hilarious how someone can complain over a previously rarely played song being played more frequently.

Happy to brighten your day.

PostPosted: Sat July 12, 2014 8:39 am 
Lost Cat

Addiction is a sad thing. Take a break. What on earth are you doing on forums like this? Pearl Jam are cool and all, but really, do something else for a good while.

PostPosted: Sat July 12, 2014 9:28 am 
Future Drummer

Plankton wrote:
Addiction is a sad thing. Take a break. What on earth are you doing on forums like this? Pearl Jam are cool and all, but really, do something else for a good while.

1. My life is not currently a sad one. I am, however, addicted to many things. I'm sure you are, too.
2. Take a break from what?
3. http://forums.theskyiscrape.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4202 ... Vote for me :)
4. What do you suggest?

PostPosted: Sat July 12, 2014 11:10 am 
A Return To Form

PJ are my all time favourite band, and this was my first PJ gig (I was very late the party - the movie PJ20 converted me in the end...)

It was probably one of the best nights of my life thus far. In particular, when they played Chloe/Crown. That song just has so much meaning for Andy, for the band, for myself - and it's just so incredible live.

My wishlist included:

Footsteps - got it!
Chloe/Crown - got it!
Wash - got it!
Blood - got it!
Go - got it!

Next time all I need is Hard to Imagine, All or None & Thumbing my way and I'll be sorted...

The gig wasn't perfect - I could have done without Even Flow, Comatose, Got Some, and there was a bit of a mid-gig lull around Sirens. But seriously people - over 3 hours, every record covered, amazing audience interaction, killer solos. People need to stop moaning about this band.

Clearly the setlist at Leeds was slightly better, but I couldn't have hoped for more for a first gig. Thanks PJ!!

PostPosted: Sat July 12, 2014 1:39 pm 
A Return To Form

Anybody who thinks the band have lost it or who think we 'need our faith restored' needs their head examined. This was a great gig. Absolutely fantastic. 10/10.

PostPosted: Sun July 13, 2014 3:39 pm 
Broken Tamborine

Wasn't going to bother traveling to MK due to there being no hotels available and it being a bit far but I caved a few days before and got the train. All I can say is that I'm very pleased I did. Up there with the best I've been to, shame they cut Breath, Getaway, Satan's Bed and Ledbetter otherwise it could've been the best.

PostPosted: Sun July 13, 2014 10:31 pm 
Banned from the Pit

I got my ticket for £45 and I'm glad I went - unbelievable set. Kicks the shit out of the leeds set in my opinion. Spin the black circle, brain of j, crown of thorns, ritfw, footsteps, wash, nothingman, blood...awesome. They have massively improved the sound at MKB. Absolutely brilliant show that sent everyone home happy. Second best PJ show I've seen after the o2. The new tunes are lame though.

PostPosted: Mon July 14, 2014 4:17 pm 
Broken Tamborine

samiad wrote:
PJ are my all time favourite band, and this was my first PJ gig (I was very late the party - the movie PJ20 converted me in the end...)

It was probably one of the best nights of my life thus far. In particular, when they played Chloe/Crown. That song just has so much meaning for Andy, for the band, for myself - and it's just so incredible live.

My wishlist included:

Footsteps - got it!
Chloe/Crown - got it!
Wash - got it!
Blood - got it!
Go - got it!

Next time all I need is Hard to Imagine, All or None & Thumbing my way and I'll be sorted...

The gig wasn't perfect - I could have done without Even Flow, Comatose, Got Some, and there was a bit of a mid-gig lull around Sirens. But seriously people - over 3 hours, every record covered, amazing audience interaction, killer solos. People need to stop moaning about this band.

Clearly the setlist at Leeds was slightly better, but I couldn't have hoped for more for a first gig. Thanks PJ!!

For those that have seen the band many times before, the Leeds setlist was clearly superior. But as this was your first PJ gig I think this was the better of the two for you.

I was actually slightly disappointed that they didn't play a few more of their lesser-played tracks given the fact the crowd was a pretty die-hard audience. I was particularly gutted when I saw that they were supposed to have played Breath!

Nonetheless, they were on top form. Having seen them on pretty much every UK visit since the mid-90s, they have rarely sounded better. And you could tell they enjoyed the shit out of playing the gig as well.

Get back in the studio boys. Bang out a low-fi garage-y record in a few months. Get it released. And then get back to the UK! There's plenty of life in the old dogs yet.

PostPosted: Thu July 14, 2022 10:02 pm 
Future Drummer

My god I just heard this show and on the Daughter tag Eddie was INSANE. He was screaming about children getting bombed and SO passionate and intense I would have thought this was from a decade earlier. That was a really powerful tag.

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Live