The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Live

Post subject: Re: 11/15/2013 Dallas setlist thread
PostPosted: Sat November 16, 2013 3:59 pm 
Lost Cat

Had to reregister to post.

Saw them in 2003 last time they were in town and nearly sang myself hoarse this time around.

Excellent memories from last night. Recorded 6-7 songs, but I'm apparently super unstable with an iPhone above my head.

PostPosted: Sat November 16, 2013 5:06 pm 
The worst

welcome to the board :) what were some of the highlights?

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Sat November 16, 2013 6:11 pm 
Future Drummer

Yeah that's gotta be a VU cover.

I bet they play Supersonic at OkC tonight.

Have you considered stacking papers and getting paid?

PostPosted: Sat November 16, 2013 6:37 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

super nintendo chalmers wrote:
Yeah that's gotta be a VU cover.

I bet they play Supersonic at OkC tonight.

Please no

PostPosted: Sat November 16, 2013 7:14 pm 
Broken Tamborine

As a lifelong fan but relative newcomer to RM who finally saw his first Pearl Jam show last night, I know just enough to know that sharing my personal highlights might lead to some eye-rolls from some corners of the veteran crowd.

But that's fine, because last night's show fucking ruled and had tons of moments that I like to think are the main reason any of us care this much about any band's music.

In no particular order, the memories / moments that I will always remember fondly from the show that took my PJ V-card:

Eddie's voice sounding strong throughout
Mike and Stone both killing it all night
The extended middle section of Better Man when Stone huddled with Mike and Jeff on their side of the stage. Definitely not a mailed-in performance and one that saved a song that I tend to skip when it comes up.
Eddie swinging from the lights, and Jeff and Stone playing chicken with the swinging lights
Corduroy
Lukin into Not For You
Brain of J
Carrie Brownstein joining the band for RITFW. Not my favorite cover, but she's an artist I've long respected from not just her own music career but her work at NPR and Portlandia.

Can't wait to see what's in store for tonight in OKC.

PostPosted: Sat November 16, 2013 7:35 pm 
Rank This Poster
 WWW  Profile

fuck yeah, can't keep!

i love that they're cutting back on the yellow ledbetters too.

PostPosted: Sat November 16, 2013 7:48 pm 
A Return To Form
 WWW  Profile

I posted this in the Live forum, but I'll share here, too with a few addtional edits.

Awesome, amazing show. The energy and enthusiasm of the crowd definitely gave the band what it needed to play for nearly three hours. Mike and Jeff were especially animated, and several times Jeff appeared to be joking with his guitar tech as he switched out basses. Ed talked a little bit about Jeff's Luvco shirt during the first encore about how when they first met (I think that was the story), Jeff had that shirt. Stone was animated at times, more so than I remember him to be. The band really looked like they were having fun and in really good spirits. During one song, Ed, Jeff, Stone and Mike all jammed together on Mike's side of the stage (Betterman, I think).

For Porch, they played the slow bluesy intro and ramped right into the song full blast. The green, large plastic lights that descended up and down during the show dropped low enough that Mike, Jeff, Stone, Ed and Boom could grab and push them, swinging them out to the pit. It made for a frenetic sight while Mike and Jeff dodged these swinging green orbs. Meanwhile, Ed walked to the back of the stage, returning to the front, tried to swing from a light, and instead chose to finish the song in the pit.

Small Town was played to the back, "we're going to play to a place a little larger than Trees, the back of the house".

Rocking in the Free World was crazy. Annie Clark on tambourine and taking the second verse. Carrie Brownstien strutting the stage with her bass. Ed tossing tambourines to the crowd as if they were candy. It was hilarious to watch the stage tech grab two more tambourines, position himself relative to Ed and toss them to Ed as he ran around the stage.

I enjoyed Pendulum as an opener, Can't Keep was a nice surprise, still can't get into Yellow Moon or Future Days. I was hoping that seeing the latter two songs live would help me appreciate them, but not so much. I'm bummed Let the Records Play was cut for Daughter but I think it was a good audible to go into Chloe Dancer from that instead of LTRP. For Sirens, the chant outtro whatever was weird, seeming that Ed wanted to keep it going and the band said what the hell and joined it.

Side note, I took a friend who was a hardcore fan up until Yield, and appreciates the band. She'd never seen them live. I tried not to hype the experience too much, but when the intro music played and I saw the side curtain pulled open, I turned to her and said "Are you ready?" She loved it. Saying of Ed, "He could lead a cult and I'd have a hard time not following him".

A really fun show. :thumbsup:

I do like the pop up merch trailer that is set up. Makes it very nice to grab stuff and take it back to the car.

PostPosted: Sat November 16, 2013 10:04 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

Nice! seems like a very fun and energetic show..Good to see Carrie there, wish they did another one with her though.

PostPosted: Sun November 17, 2013 4:34 am 
Lost Cat

stip wrote:

The other two people hit a lot of the highlights for me.

EdVed commented about the 10 year absence and I really felt that they made up for that length of time by playing such a great show. His speech about guns was lost on the Texas crowd. From our vantage point, it didn't seem like people were too into Glorified G, but I was quite happy to see it. I can hear myself on the video (I recorded random songs here and there) saying "Kindred to being an American", which got a chuckle from my wife.

Acknowledging the crowd that was behind the stage was a great move and I was quite happy to see them get a moment with the band.

The band seemed really engaged with the crowd, provided an energetic show, and left me quite fulfilled.

Thanks for the welcome back...I have no idea how long it's been since I logged in, seeing as how my username was no longer valid. The last time I did, I voiced a differing opinion in a general discussion thread and it was dismissed simply because I wasn't a regular poster. I simply stopped coming around, but seeing the concert made me want want to come post about it with other fans.

PostPosted: Sun November 17, 2013 4:53 pm 
A Return To Form
 WWW  Profile

VinylGuy wrote:
Nice! seems like a very fun and energetic show..Good to see Carrie there, wish they did another one with her though.

Yeah, that would have been pretty cool.

I was very surprised by Annie Clark's appearance, but she's from Dallas, so I guess it makes sense.

PostPosted: Sun November 17, 2013 5:46 pm 
The worst

kcwm wrote:
stip wrote:

The other two people hit a lot of the highlights for me.

EdVed commented about the 10 year absence and I really felt that they made up for that length of time by playing such a great show. His speech about guns was lost on the Texas crowd. From our vantage point, it didn't seem like people were too into Glorified G, but I was quite happy to see it. I can hear myself on the video (I recorded random songs here and there) saying "Kindred to being an American", which got a chuckle from my wife.

Acknowledging the crowd that was behind the stage was a great move and I was quite happy to see them get a moment with the band.

The band seemed really engaged with the crowd, provided an energetic show, and left me quite fulfilled.

Thanks for the welcome back...I have no idea how long it's been since I logged in, seeing as how my username was no longer valid. The last time I did, I voiced a differing opinion in a general discussion thread and it was dismissed simply because I wasn't a regular poster. I simply stopped coming around, but seeing the concert made me want want to come post about it with other fans.

We relaunched the board jan 1st, so everything reset. Welcome back :)

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Live