The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Live

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 163 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: 10/22/13 Philly night 2 setlist thread
PostPosted: Wed October 23, 2013 4:09 am 
Banned from the Pit

I was at both Brooklyn shows and tonight
While the Brooklyn shows were better set list
wise for the most part, I really enjoyed tonight
The crowd where I was were pretty awesome
Plus I was with someone who likes the band a lot
but hasn't seen them in a while and he got to hear
everything he wanted to

PostPosted: Wed October 23, 2013 6:41 am 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

Two great shows for me. First night was back by the soundboard on Stone's side, and tonight was behind the band on Mike's. See a show sometime behind the band. Seriously. The intensity of the crowd and seeing everything from the band's perspective is spine-tingling. People went nuts for Corduroy, the whole floor bouncing during Given To Fly, the love for Breath, the chanting during Alive. Its something else entirely to see 20,000 people going all out.

While this was a birthday show, it wasn't anything remarkable, aside from a solid gig by a 23 year old band having fun. What more can you ask for? I've only seen two Camden outdoor gigs in the area. Seeing a Philly crowd indoors trounces that experience. It only makes you wonder how insane Boston gigs are.

And yes, its possible to check RM during an encore break to see how much everyone hates the set thus far. On paper you can bitch all you want. When everyone around you is drunk and having a great time and the band is too, how can you complain?

PostPosted: Wed October 23, 2013 10:59 am 
The worst

Of the set lists I've seen this is maybe the one I like the best

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Wed October 23, 2013 11:49 am 
Mind Your Tanners

anyone see the written setlist?

PostPosted: Wed October 23, 2013 12:59 pm 

If anyone has a spare poster from this gig, I'm buying. Got into the venue at 8:00 last night and they were all gone.

PostPosted: Wed October 23, 2013 1:02 pm 
10Club Complaint Department

Dr. Van Nostrand wrote:

PostPosted: Wed October 23, 2013 1:04 pm 
Future Drummer

Birds in Hell wrote:
Dr. Van Nostrand wrote:

Interesting because I could have sworn there was a false start for Green Disease during the main set.

PostPosted: Wed October 23, 2013 1:06 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

Sounds like they are rockin' it this tour. Looking forward to Baltimore on Sunday.

Also, WHY AREN'T THEY PLAYING IN MY TREE?

Spoiler: show
Maybe they are saving it for me :luv:

PostPosted: Wed October 23, 2013 1:06 pm 
10Club Complaint Department

darth_vedder wrote:
Sounds like they are rockin' it this tour. Looking forward to Baltimore on Sunday.

Also, WHY AREN'T THEY PLAYING IN MY TREE?

Spoiler: show
Maybe they are saving it for me :luv:

I think I saw that they soundchecked it before this show, so you may be in luck...

PostPosted: Wed October 23, 2013 1:12 pm 
Future Drummer

Quote:
I was at both Brooklyn shows and tonight
While the Brooklyn shows were better set list
wise for the most part, I really enjoyed tonight
The crowd where I was were pretty awesome
Plus I was with someone who likes the band a lot
but hasn't seen them in a while and he got to hear
everything he wanted to

Will wrote:
While this was a birthday show, it wasn't anything remarkable, aside from a solid gig by a 23 year old band having fun. What more can you ask for? I've only seen two Camden outdoor gigs in the area. Seeing a Philly crowd indoors trounces that experience. It only makes you wonder how insane Boston gigs are.

If you guys liked it, I'll keep my whore mouth shut.

PostPosted: Wed October 23, 2013 1:15 pm 

Yeah, before MFC is sounded like he was trying to remember the riff and played Green Disease instead, then scratched it and went into Untitled. Sorry to see they scratched Go.

PostPosted: Wed October 23, 2013 2:41 pm 
Future Drummer
 WWW  Profile

Really glad to see a lot of people had a great time at this show. I was sitting at work around 4:30 yesterday thinking about how great the set lists for these shows have been on this tour (up to that point I had only been to Brooklyn 2) and I was really jealous because 2 of my friends were going to all 4 NY/Philly shows... So I was just like "fuck it, I'm going!" I'm about 1 hr 45 min north of the city so I had some major logistical problems to sort out (not to my mention my job, my wife and my kids!) but I managed to find a ticket and get there by 7, all the while apologizing to my wife profusely :lol:

On Saturday, I was near the front row a few feet back from Stone jumping around and singing at the top of my lungs with friends and fellow fanatics. Last night, I was what felt like an entire football field farther away in a section where I was the only one standing for the entirety of the show. The old guy next to me said he was more of an Aerosmith fan, he saw them 75 times!, and all around I was surrounded by some really annoying couples. You know the type where the girl is obviously the big Eddie/PJ fan and the guy is just standing (or most likely sitting) there very stoic all night hoping that if he can just make it through the whole show for his girl's sake then maybe he just might get laid. Yea, it was that kind of section. :shake:

As awesome as Pendulum > Wash > Nothingman was as an opener, I was a little disappointed to get the same intro as Saturday night. In fact, the whole setlist was very similar to Brooklyn 2, which was a bummer since my whole motivation to make the last minute trip was my hope that I'd get to hear some stuff that I haven't heard live yet (I'm one of those nerds that keeps a spreadsheet for stuff like this :lol: ). After LB > Corduroy > MYM things really started to get rolling. The old guy/Aerosmith freak said to me of MYM "that was much better than what is on the CD, I'll tell you that for sure!" :lol: But then they decided to play ATW just 7 songs into a show that was just starting to pick up steam. In fact, the Backspacer songs didn't help the setlist at all and I'm not one to be a big BS basher. They just don't fit with everything else. Luckily after that they recovered with Hail Hail and the rest of the set rolled along pretty good. I'll be honest though I kept waiting to hear MFS, Swallowed Whole or LTRP. I was just dying to hear more of the new stuff that I didn't get to hear in Brooklyn but they played the same 7 songs (MYM, Sirens, LB, Infallible, Pendulum, YM, FD). I'm convinced that SW is gonna sound great live. I also might be convinced it's a classic PJ song at this point.

Highlights:
Hail Hail
Satan's Bed
Untitled/MFC
Sirens (sounds great live and I think most people were really into it)
Infallible (as much as I love this song it doesn't seem to be working live as well as Sirens)
WWS
Parachutes
Yellow Moon
Come Back
Future Days (Boom's dirty, distorted organ sound is way cooler than BoB's album version!)
Breath!!!
Baba O'Riley

Eddie started the 1st encore by mentioning "a song we never finished the last time we were here" so I assumed he meant Come Back, then I was surprised that they went into Parachutes, which is one of my favorites. They still played CB though and I thought it sounded great. In fact, that 1st encore was my favorite part of the show, Parachutes > Yellow Moon > Come Back > Future Days > Breath!!!> SOLAT

All in all, I'm glad I made the trip but I realize more so than ever how much I just want to be surrounded by friends and fellow PJ lovers the next time I'm lucky enough to see these guys again. :luv:

Last edited by WaitingForBluey on Wed October 23, 2013 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed October 23, 2013 3:05 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

Thats an insane setlist....really cool to see Breath and Solat being played back to back.

PostPosted: Wed October 23, 2013 3:09 pm 
A Return To Form

Agree that ATW didn't fit well. Overall though I loved the setlist and thought it flowed well despite that.

PT is simply one of the best live songs, consistently. The crowd singing it last night was roaring, at least where I was sitting.

Satan's Bed is a favorite of mine and I was thrilled to hear it!!! Glad to see some others have commented on that b/c it seems to me underappreciated especially live.

GTF had amazing energy. Great performance of that one.

Breath was phenomenal.

The whole run from Got Some through the end of the main set was phenomenal for me. Great flow, great energy, just one big awesome wave, to borrow a metaphor.

Love Parachutes!!

PostPosted: Wed October 23, 2013 5:00 pm 
AnalLog

rich wrote:
Cracks me up how much people bitch about set lists. When you're at a show, you're in the moment having a blast. You sing along with the songs you've heard a billion times. You only complain when you're watching random words pop up in a browser.

Not true. I complain when I'm at the show if the setlist isn't full of gems...

PostPosted: Wed October 23, 2013 5:06 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Chloe wrote:
rich wrote:
Cracks me up how much people bitch about set lists. When you're at a show, you're in the moment having a blast. You sing along with the songs you've heard a billion times. You only complain when you're watching random words pop up in a browser.

at this point its gonna be hard to get songs we havent gotten already aside from new album songs, but if we were at last nights show then it would have been the first time i had gotten leaving here and untitled and id have been happy with that, plus id love to get Breath and Parachutes again. i will have hopes for some crazier stuff, plus songs like Immortality that its crazy i havent gotten yet, but would be very happy with a setlist like that.

PostPosted: Wed October 23, 2013 5:17 pm 
AnalLog

Dr. Van Nostrand wrote:
Chloe wrote:
rich wrote:

at this point its gonna be hard to get songs we havent gotten already aside from new album songs, but if we were at last nights show then it would have been the first time i had gotten leaving here and untitled and id have been happy with that, plus id love to get Breath and Parachutes again. i will have hopes for some crazier stuff, plus songs like Immortality that its crazy i havent gotten yet, but would be very happy with a setlist like that.

It really was a good setlist but it's more fun to bitch and complain about everything like most of the guys in PJC

PostPosted: Wed October 23, 2013 5:20 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Chloe wrote:
Dr. Van Nostrand wrote:
Chloe wrote:
rich wrote:

It really was a good setlist but it's more fun to bitch and complain about everything like most of the guys in PJC

well, and i will agree that on paper it was very underwhelming for their 23 anniversary (if they even realized it was their 23 anniversary) and being in Philly.

PostPosted: Wed October 23, 2013 5:24 pm 
AnalLog

Dr. Van Nostrand wrote:
Chloe wrote:
Dr. Van Nostrand wrote:
Chloe wrote:
rich wrote:

well, and i will agree that on paper it was very underwhelming for their 23 anniversary (if they even realized it was their 23 anniversary) and being in Philly.

If that had been my first show though, it was an amazing setlist. Even after seeing them 19 times, it still would have been great to be there :) Just becomes more difficult to be 100% thrilled with any setlist after seeing them a few dozen times...

PostPosted: Wed October 23, 2013 6:11 pm 
AnalLog

The end of the main set looks fantastic. wow!

13. Sirens
14. Got Some
15. Given To Fly
16. Present Tense
17. Infallible
18. World Wide Suicide
19. Do The Evolution
20. Betterman

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 163 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Live